Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I actually liked Enter the Matrix, lovely broken gameplay and all

You could 'hack' it into a fighting game which barely worked :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope they bring back the robot baby face swarm

Basebf555 posted:

It's because of the connection Neo has to The Source that I mentioned above. He has something in him that is kind of like a wi-fi connection to all the machines, because the machines are connected to The Source.

That's always how I thought of it too

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Torquemada posted:

Trailer looks pretty good, now to avoid the 14 months of ‘baby’s first philosophy class’ speculation it’s sure to fire up among the fedora wearing class.

My wife wrote a thesis on phenomenological consciousness and all her friend told her that The Matrix was pretty much that and when she finally watched it she was very angry at her friends

So I'm watching this one by myself probably lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spalec posted:

I feel like I'm probably the only person in existence who actually had a genuinely good time with Enter the Matrix. I've seen lots of people talk about devastating game breaking bugs and such but I never had any issues on the PS2 version. Maybe I lucked out?

Having it properly interlink with the 2 sequel movies and the anime shorts was a really ambitious and cool idea for the time. I feel like we didn't really see that again for a long time. The MCU is doing a lot of that stuff now but I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head.

The hacking minigame was sweet too, much more interesting then typing in a cheat code.

Enter the Matrix was very bad and I enjoyed it very much. "Hacking" it to make it easier and cheat or unlock dumb fighting mini-games owned

Aidan_702 posted:

I like the way this new matrix has super bright and vivid, even lurid sunshine after what Sati did when it was rebooted. Sort of this day-glo “everything is perfect this time please don’t ask too many questions it certainly isn’t hanging on by string and gum” vibe

Patch notes: Cats walking in the alley no longer crash the server and kill a thousand people at a time

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 9, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

e: oops

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Note that the “red pill” in Matrix 1 doesn’t actually do anything.

It’s used for location detection, and all the dramatic mirror-goo stuff is a side effect.

The blue pill is evidently just a tranquilizer.

Whoa

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

teagone posted:

I always thought the fight scenes in The Matrix films sounded pretty unique. The "air whip" sfx behind thrown kicks and punches in particular, those have always stood out to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weVFpKTB4Sw&t=452s

:haw:

Noob Saibot posted:

Star Wars already did the “failed messiah” thing with Luke Skywalker. We don’t need that kind of deconstruction again.

DUNC coming soon!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shaocaholica posted:

The real question is: what manifestation is the architect now?

Jason Alexander

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IIRC the Matrix Online closed by having all the logged in players' models disappear up their own asses so hopefully they remember to show us that in this one

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

aBagorn posted:

No. Lana would not undercut the narrative like this, imo. especially given how personal the themes are to her

It'd be a good fakeout for half a scene though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Over a week-long period, The Matrix Online told the story of Morpheus's attempts to recover Neo's body from the Machines. When the Machines refused to return Neo's remains, Morpheus began a rampage through the MegaCity, detonating code-bombs strong enough to threaten the Matrix itself. The Machines responded by sending the Assassin after Morpheus. The Assassin succeeded: Morpheus was killed.

Lol Morpheus just started playing GTA until he got wasted

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Obviously, fusion just works in the real world like that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The basic thing to keep in mind is that, being a movie about a conspiracy theory, the matrix concept does utterly collapse when investigated. The only proper conclusion is that the characters are nuts.

If we actually take their claims seriously, then the world they describe has absolutely nothing in common with the actually-existing 1999. That’s why, in the sequels, the simulation is revealed to have been a janky fantasy MMORPG all along.

I bet there are a lot of really tedious xSephirothhGoku420xs in Zion

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shiroc posted:

Morpheus is everyone that libs fear simultaneously. The Matrix will Build Back Better and you need to stop undermining the system. If you think about it, the Zion rebels are EXACTLY like the Jan 6th rioters.

Weird thoughts

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder how many human brains the machines use to mine bitcoin

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I for one think humans are more like apes than viruses but I'm not a chatbot

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halloween Jack posted:

"I want to kill all your friends so I can quit my lovely job" is a hell of a persuasion technique

Then he gets fired and sticks around anyway lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No he doesn't.

"I must get out of here. I must get free, and in this mind is the key - my key. Once Zion is destroyed, there is no need for me to be here."

In the sequel, Smith repeatedly gloats about being free (of 'the system'), gets out of the simulation by possessing the Bane, and works to destroy Zion from the inside.

I forgot that was that guy's name lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No thanks to a Kojima Matrix game, yes please to Enter the Matrix Remastered: We Didn't Fix Any Bugs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As much as I like Keanu, Weaving just really goes to town in the sequels. They're his show

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 24, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Szmitten posted:

First movie were monosyllabic: Smith, Jones, and Brown. Upgrades were "sons": Johnson, Jackson, and Thompson.

I always thought that was a cute touch

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hand Knit posted:

The Son of man

The son of Ander

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

teagone posted:

It's this! Which is cool, I never thought to look up the significance. Wikipedia states [Ander] derives from the Greek noun ἀνήρ anēr, with genitive ἀνδρός andros, which means "man".

Lmao God drat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's also a pretty obvious contrast to have The One fight The Many, especially in a series where the enemy is everyone else anyway

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

checkplease posted:

Other agents are impressed by his ponytail in the script too. If we all could only dream as much.

And new bad guy is just Gregory. Not Gregory Rage. Or Un-neo or any name with symbolism. Just a biker dude named Gregory. Clearly the anti christ.

*defiantly gets back on to his hog, strikes a pose*

"My name...is Greg."

*leaves*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Probably a good time to note Neo keeps a cell phone and eats a cookie after he gets back out of the sewer

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The cell-phone is just the interface for a kind of voice-chat app, and the cookie a software-artwork designed to provide comfort, generated by a literal babysitter program. It's all immaterial labour.

I know, just wanted to call that out since it came up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Swords. Lots of swords."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ferrinus posted:

They had their chance to conform and they blew it.

From what I recall from the Animatrix it's that the robots desperately wanted to conform to human society and humanity blew them up a lot instead, so if anything it's the opposite of this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, now imagine I come in like owlofcreamcheese and am like listen, the humans had no choice, the robots simply couldn't be negotiated with, they needed to crush the robots to dust forever no matter what.

This is metaphysical thinking - imputing essential goodness or badness onto people for their contingent traits in order to justify maintaining or even exacerbating social inequalities.

He can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure he's saying that based on what we were shown the humans as a whole didn't want any other choice, they didn't want to negotiate, they really wanted to crush the robots to dust forever no matter what

Though that stops when they finally do and the robots nuke the UN and New York City after the world-ending hellwar

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The new one will be a failure unless they put the techno-orgy on in the background TVs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It is the year 1999. It is the future.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ferrinus posted:

That's true, but only insofar as we, the prisoners of the actual demiurge, can smash the existing matrix and create a new, revolutionary one that expresses rather than represses our class consciousness.

I'd rather be a steak-eating Kung Fu God tbh

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fusion is stored in the pods

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shiroc posted:

SMG being a highly advanced chatbot means that their opinions on humans vs ai can't be viewed as anything but deeply biased.

Thinking about that SMG/Koos post like Smith trying to break down Morpheus

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Hugo Weaving face forms out of the Sentinels. A pair of sunglasses descends from the heavens.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

codo27 posted:

The Matrix is a Good Movie. Anime is a Bad Anything.

Woah.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oldo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's definitely a game you like in spite of everything about it

Adbot