Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've watched a clip compilation of all the footage they've used for those teasers and it looks like it has a lot of shots that came right out of the first film. I wonder if this is going to be some sort of remake/sequel to the originals. It starts out super familiar, even shot-for-shot, of the first film before going off the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I can see it being a sequel because I don't believe for one second the likes of the Architect or the big machine thing at the end saw humanity as anything more than fuel, and whatever peace Neo bought was fleeting. The movie didn't earn any other kind of reading from me. Nothing really changed: the power dynamic remains the same.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have a theory that's completely off the wall!

Neo is going to turn at the camera and state "I am The Matrix", it'll cut to another angle and there will be another, younger Neo and he'd be all "woah". Then it'd cut to another angle and a young Arnold Schwarzenegger will be there and he'd be all "I am John Matrix" then it'd cut to another angle and Bill Duke will be there and yell "This Green Beret will kick your rear end!" then they'll fight the exact same fight they had in the motel room in Commando except with matrix powers and poo poo. They'll explode through a wall, there'd be a couple trying to make whoopie, but it'll be PG-13 nudity as not to offend the fundamentalist demographic. Arnold would have a one-liner and the fight go about the same as in Commando except with matrix powers causing more explosions and what have you. After the fight it'll zoom in on Arnold's eyes then zoom back out and it'll be an old Arnold sitting down with his grandkids telling the story of the events of Commando. It'll smash cut to black and text will slowly appear "John Matrix shall return in Commando 2!"

The resurrections in the title is that of it resurrecting 80's action shlock. The enthusiast press thought fans screaming and frothing over the post-credit sequence of Shang-Chi was bananas, wait until they see what burnt out Gen Xers who grew up on action trash and millennials horny for 80's nostalgia will do! They'd have to burn down the theaters to get rid of all the filth that'd explode from them!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Whatever filmmaking faults the 2nd and 3rd films had were made up by Speed Racer. Those films felt like they needed more time to bake in the oven and I think 20 years is a pretty good amount of time for an idea to percolate into something decent. I'm picking up what they're putting down with that trailer.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Subtlety, much like subtext, is for cowards.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

metachronos posted:

I posted on my FB about how hype I was from the new trailer and one of my "acquaintances" already went off on a screed about how Jessica Henwicks character is a "purple haired gender-fluid mary sue" and then made comparisons to Rey so yeah, they are out there.

We can only hope. Throw in also "being gay" and it'll be hella amazing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What do they do for water down there anyway? Are they a society of unwash legs much like we are today!?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe they're storing up all the methane produced from having an all liquefied human diet.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think the landscape and audience have more class and social consciousness than they did in the late 90's and 00's. I was watching an older Bard video on the, at the time, new Necromunda game and he mentioned that the gangs went from being punk representation and rebelling against the system to being tools of the system. Instead of the GenX idea of "gently caress the system/establishment" it's the millennial/zoomer/whatever idea of "gently caress capitalism" because instead of rebelling against this nebulous idea of "authority" or "the establishment" (it's why some GenX folks ended up having pretty lovely politics that failed to get with the times) it's one of "the gangs are now the working class and the ruling class are the capitalists".

I think we may see something along those lines with the upcoming film. That the implicit will become explicit and just general "rebellion against oppression" will give name to the oppressors and the oppressed will be more explicitly in its class and social characteristics. From inferred from the trailers, the idea that the first films are actually part of that universe now is pretty amazing, so what I'm on about tracks a little bit. It's perfectly in tune with capitalism commodifying struggle. I'm really excited to see this film.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 30, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Rest assured Ressurection is not less politicized than the trilogy and you can read a lot in its poking at liberalism

Yes but what about that WOKE AGENDA?!?! Will it or will it not turn my children into cultural marxists?!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

As a person who enjoys the most hated comic book films by critics and film twitter I say welcome. Also pay no mind to any of them, they get paid for what we do here for free.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really liked the film. It's half the film of the first one but I enjoyed it a ton nonetheless. A lot of good criticisms here. The fight choreography seemed fine but the way it was shot and edited made it hard to keep track of and it did feel like they had to edit around things they couldn't film due to Covid. But I think the story and script were pretty top-notch. It's definitely uneven with the first 2/3rds being stronger than the final act but I thought the final scene was amazing and if this is the last Matrix film made, then it's a good one to end on.

I appreciated that Trinity had to die in order to get her flight and other powers, much like Neo had to in the first film. Fun little detail there that I didn't pick up on until I thought about the film after watching it.

The jabs at Warner were really nice too, being a fan of Snyder's DC films (if the tags didn't give that away). The executives there are a bunch of chumps who make bad decisions.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wasn't a fan of how the fights were shot or edited but the choreography seemed pretty good when I was able to see it clearly. It was a definite step down from previous films.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

VROOM VROOM posted:

Yep, this is the idea and the argument of contrarian dork "the movie says psychiatry is bad and therefore the movie is bad because psychiatry is good" vs. anticapitalist antifa avatar "actually it doesn't say that because we all know psychiatry is good so that would be wrong" is agonizing

Resurrections literally goes full Equilibrium with drugs dulling the human spirit and rejection thereof being framed as liberation. Same as in Equilibrium, the answer is to destroy the system of control.

Resurrections could have used more gunkata, tho. Equilibrium wins.

Sorry folks, the math don't lie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1775561399823171673

They could do a lot worse than Goddard I guess.

https://twitter.com/jbromovies/status/1775567305923239944

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Resurrection was awesome. Some of the fights didn't hold a candle to the first three and a few were downright not good but a few were exceptional. But everything else? Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I can agree with that. The characters in that setting is the best part of the whole thing. The whole machine side of things never worked for me because I could never get the logic of the whole thing down, if there ever was any logic there to begin with. There's a whole machine race but they seem to act more like automatons than sentient beings. So you can infer two things, is that 1.) that these beings are made of pure hatred. Maybe a thousand years have passed yet they still hold a grudge from a war that happened so long ago. So they're not learning any kind of wisdom or development from all that time - no growth. 2.) they too are a slave race to the central intelligence thing Neo makes a deal with at the end of the 3rd film. Possibly The Architect.

In both cases they choose not to try to fix the sky but instead rely upon human-made power. So there's an absolute cruelty to it. At least in the fourth film they make it some tangible thing of the whole thing is about some bottom line - cogs in a machine to be ground to dust in the name of profit, ect. It's not subtle but that's fine.

I know, I know, bringing some weird logical argument to what's essentially a light sci-fi film. But part of the reason why I love the fourth film so, on top of it have a really solid script and is more than "legacy sequels are bad" that is super overt in the first act, is that it just makes the whole "the one" a "the many". I always saw Trinity being able to do what she did is because of her and Neo's belief in each other and it follows a logical idea of "we don't follow the rules of the system" so it opens up the possibility that anyone can do what Neo did in those first three films.

I love the action in those first three films and ultimately that's was at the forefront of the decisions. But I always thought if they went down a different route they would have leaned into Neo just simply not following the rules of the Matrix altogether. No need to fight or to fly or any of that. He'd just teleport around, mould the environment around him, insta-gib his opposition. They're part of the Matrix after all. Of course I may be misremembering stuff. It has been a hot minute since I saw the first three films.