Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I really dug this. Even the action seemed pretty solid to me (with the exception of the final 'swarm' sequence which was just a bit of a visual mess with a couple of excellent little moments in it) which might have been due to severely lowered expectations after I flicked through this thread earlier today. The script probably could've done with another pass just to tidy up some of the pacing and I hated a few of the effects (that 90s soap opera slow-motion effect is hideous) but I thought this was not only the most interesting/enjoyable of the sequels but retroactively added some weight to certain portions of them I felt lacked it originally.

The first remains lightning in a bottle to some degree and this is a fair way off it in terms of quality but it convinced me that expanding on this world can actually be a worthwhile exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Alchenar posted:

I think those shots also really draw out how the 'return to the Matrix' action sequences are a tier below the earlier sequences. Everything visually interesting is happening in the first half.

That's a good point - when I think back to the movie I think "there was some pretty cool action in it even though it gets a bad rap" but it's all in reference to those earlier scenes. I did quite like the Smith/Neo fight. It's just a shame that, whether it be due to Covid scheduling/filming conditions or otherwise, the climactic parts were the ones that suffered most.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

Action sequences are storyboarded, scripted, practiced and perfected. Covid would not have stopped any of that because it’s done before the camera has film in it. Lana just had everyone show up and ‘wing it’.

Covid does not make bad movies, checked out directors do.

I didn't think the movie was bad at all though :shrug:. Just find the disparity between the quality of action sequences curious.