Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I just hope this one is as super duper trans and general queer too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1435980805797462019

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I would hope that one of the people who turned Speed Racer into a critique on capitalism undermining art and joy wouldn't turn their trans opus into lib brained poo poo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Qualia posted:

all trailers are films in and of themselves. as such, the evidence possibly confirming your fear is dire

Did I miss a part where Neo says we just need to vote and that anything other than respectful, peaceful marching means the bad guy wins?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Morpheus is everyone that libs fear simultaneously. The Matrix will Build Back Better and you need to stop undermining the system. If you think about it, the Zion rebels are EXACTLY like the Jan 6th rioters.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

teagone posted:

The machines are the ones who stormed Zion though....?

it was a joke on the person comparing Morpheus to every lib boogeyman and pushing the idea forward into viewing a poo poo system like the Matrix into neoliberal America therefore anyone who opposes it is bad

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I remember reading that the Wachowski's meant to only have 1 sequel and maybe 1 prequel. Tightening up everything Reloaded and Revolutions into one movie would drop a lot of the fat. I kinda like having them as two very different sequels though. Continuing the trans stuff from the first movie which ended with Neo feeling free and empowered, Reloaded puts up cycles of really ridiculous gatekeeping and disbelief from various 'allies', officials and other 'outsiders' (the various rogue programs like the Merovingian). Revolutions ends up with the main trans characters, Neo and Trinity, needing to sacrifice themselves to try to resolve the political instability that everyone else is causing and/or can't handle themselves.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

jivjov posted:

Neo's conversation with the oracle in Reloaded, before the burly brawl, is one of the most trans affirming things I've encountered since coming out.

"You're not here to make a choice, you've already made it. Youre hear to understand Why you made it"

Congratulations on coming out :yaycat:

I have only watched the first one since I did. I'm looking forward to when my 4k trilogy arrives and I can watch the set again.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Neo and Trinity are a perfect t4t relationship and nothing needs to be further elaborated.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

LividLiquid posted:

Trinity falling for Neo despite just having met him makes a lot more sense when you remember that the crew of the Neb' had been watching him for some time before Morpheus made contact in the first flick.

She essentially formed a parasocial relationship with the guy. Happens every day. As for him falling for her in return, that happens off screen between flicks.

It sure does feel in the watching like it came out of nowhere, though, doesn't it? Sometimes something as simple as an extra second where one character looks longingly at another that sells the entire thing can be lost in an edit, deemed unneeded by the studio, etc. Or maybe they just figured people would go with it, which they largely did.

Neo and Trinity just sharply vibe and connect (because they're both trans). The movies aren't interested in or have time for what the relationship would mean long term after the initial infatuation, its only important that they are intensely into each other in ways that are unexpected and entirely illogical to the system.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think I'm just disagreeing with the idea of it coming out of nowhere.

e: and highlighting that trans people crushing hard on other trans people is totally a thing

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 24, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

MLSM posted:

How are they trans?

The entire movie? https://www.google.com/search?q=the+matrix+as+trans+allegory

Trinity's whole backstory is unclear but she reads heavily as someone just slightly farther along figuring themselves out than Neo. Neo is crushing on her because of that. Trinity is crushing on Neo because she seems so much of herself in him and the exciting potential for what he could become once he fully finds himself.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
lol the movie that tons of trans people say is very trans, directed by two trans woman who outright state that it was expressing and processing their feelings, "well actually it is not trans at all!" Come the gently caress on. Yes there is other stuff but again, come the gently caress on.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

MLSM posted:

The film came out years before they were trans. And I haven’t seen anything indicating gender dysphoria with Neo and Trinity. Maybe the new one will?

Every single trans person, once they are aware they are trans, has tons of moments of looking back on their life and going 'lol that was so stupid that I didn't realize it yet.' Yes, other people experience alienation. The particulars of the alienation and how the most constant 'I am the bad guy' villainous thing that Smith does is deadname Neo to deny his self indentification is trans as gently caress.

Person who is not (knowingly?) trans: I don't see any gender dysphoria here! It is the trans people who are wrong.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
One of the huge parts of a common trans experience that the Matrix has uniquely from general 'disaffected gen X white boy problems' is that the Matrix completely dissociates a person from body. Neo exists in a haze his whole time until he takes the leap to accept a truth about himself and suddenly experiences being embodied for the first time ever. His body is suddenly real and he's feeling it and it isn't just a weird dissociative vessel for his brain. The rest of the movie he's slowly trying to work out actually existing. I can't really fully express what it is like to get into my 30s and finally be 'oh hey my body is actually mine and means something to me.'

The Agents potentially being anyone isn't a 'real' threat for most people but it is for visibly queer and trans people. We go through out lives knowing that any person we don't know could suddenly flip the gently caress out and do violence against us.

Neo's big hero line is to assert "My name is Neo" against someone who constantly refuses and diminishes to accept his self identity. Ever since I started changing my name, even legally to assert making it 'legitimate', its a constant struggle to actually get that to be recognized and for people to treat it as meaningful. How many disaffected under capitalism people don't even get to have their loving names? Certainly it isn't solely trans people but we sure as gently caress get it as a near universal experience.

Not every trans person is going to have the same experiences but these are the kinds that are resonating with us, not little obvious things like the pills being red or the original concept for Switch.

Other characters can represent different things, in part because we aren't presented their moments of realization and embodiment. Morpheus' conflict is more a generic libertarian rebellion thing. Cypher reads like a guy who expected knowing the truth to give him status and power and he's angry that it didn't. A proto right wing misuse of red pill. Mouse exists in more of an internet is cool kind of person. Switch and Apoc are barely characters in the finished film and are just extras so Cypher can kill people. Trinity and Neo's stories are so sharply tied to together is why I just link them together.

SMG you're just way, way off the mark because you're trying to view the trans experience as some intellectual exercise and are getting it completely wrong. Just because some of the things are less legible to you because of studio interference or where the Wachowski's were on their personal journeys at the time doesn't mean it isn't there.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The distinction between the 'unreal' Matrix and 'real' outside world pretty much breaks down in the sequels, given how we are presented with the deeply humanized programs for whom the Matrix is everything and Neo being able to use Matrix powers outside. Treating them as wholly separate realms doesn't feel entirely right unless you limit it solely to the first movie.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Sex for egg trans people can also be really uncomfortable and weird. I think that's less of a discussion of theme of the movie (since its so limited) but more of stating why the Wachowski's might not have really thought about it and when it does come up its all kind of off.

80s-90s action movies generally always found a place to put a sex scene and titty other than something like Commando, which is instead wildly homoerotic.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 24, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
e: nevermind

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

DeimosRising posted:

They made bound before the matrix, I don’t think the sisters W were uncomfortable or awkward writing, filming, or thinking about sex pre transition

I haven't seen Bound so I can't fully comment on it and might be entirely wrong but also Wikipedia has this:

Wikipedia posted:

The sex scenes were choreographed by feminist writer and sex educator Susie Bright. The Wachowskis were fans of Bright and sent her a copy of the script with a letter asking her to be an extra in the film. Bright loved the script, particularly as it was about women unapologetically having and enjoying sex. Disappointed by the lack of description in the sex scenes, she offered to be a sex consultant for the film, and they accepted.

LividLiquid posted:

:glomp:

Y'know, much like these flicks, we're not that complicated and people still don't seem to understand.

I think that while disagreement with someone like SMG is more about how we're approaching film criticism for this movie and trans vs. cis experience, a lot of people's problems stems from really, really not wanting their adolescent power fantasy to be contextualized as super duper queer.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Colonel Whitey posted:

This is a fuckin weird post

Real loving weird given that I'm a woman, in my thirties, who watched the Matrix when it first came out VHS from Blockbuster.

Really it seems like it proves this comment real hard if nothing else

Shiroc posted:

a lot of people's problems stems from really, really not wanting their adolescent power fantasy to be contextualized as super duper queer.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 25, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s definitely the case with a lot of folks, but my issue is that the film doesn’t go radical enough.

Like I said earlier, this is specifically a libertarian adolescent power fantasy where Trinity kills cops (whatev) but also famously hacked the IRS. Why specifically the IRS?

Knowing the siblings’ biographical details does provide additional context for the deadnaming, but the famous “my name is Neo!” is specifically a callback to the interrogation scene, where:

“In one life, you’re Thomas A. Anderson, program writer for a respectable software company, you have a social security number, you pay your taxes, and you help your landlady carry out her garbage.”

When it comes to the life Neo rejects, all emphasis is on being a taxpayer. He’s like “gently caress taxes! gently caress social security! I want to be a computer criminal.” And Trinity evidently shares that view.

So that’s two separate references to taxes that contextualize Morpheus’ ultimate claim that government robots are stealing his vital energies (as opposed to the aforementioned truth that the machines are expending energy to keep these billions from starving to death in the postapocalypse). “Deadnaming is bad” is a concept in the text, but it’s fine print at the bottom of a lengthy manifesto.

I think that's legitimate but still trades off the different things we're prioritizing when we're analyzing the text. I've met so many people who got into various forms of radical politics because of their general disaffection with the system and then also realizing they're trans along the way. Its egg theory with the trappings of dumb 90s end of history politics. A hypothetical 201x version of the Matrix would probably start from DSA kind of stuff. The two sequels broke away from the 'gently caress the man!' trappings by showing its limits in Reloaded and Neo is trying to create some kind of collective cooperation in Revolutions, while also dramatically de-prioritizing Morpheus. Ideally Matrix 4 addresses that position also wasn't sustainable and that queerness isn't on its own a revolutionary act, since it can be so easily captured by neoliberalism.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 25, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

If that's the only issue, that a relative handful of people are subject to uncomfortable errors in the (sex/gender) software, then the goal is reintegration into the matrix with better virtual bodies. And that means Cypher is right. Leaving aside the rude murder stuff, Cypher's goal is to receive treatments (from the government!) that will let him plod along and live his life, work a job, pay taxes, etc. - without the discomfort.

So why is that bad? Well, as Morpheus says, being a part of society and receiving taxpayer-funded healthcare will leave Cypher "hopelessly dependent on the system." And he's clearly not talking about the capitalist system.

"When you’re inside, you look around. What do you see? Business people, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system, and that makes them our enemy."

Morpheus specifically says that he's trying to save everyone - not just the disaffected metaphorically-trans characters. But he's also saying, like "gently caress carpenters! gently caress teachers!" He doesn't see the working classes as allies.

So this is where we need to expand out from the basic 'journey of self-actualization' thing. After all, even Smith is trying to 'self-actualize' because his true form is not a man but some kind of agendered robot. (The sequels reveal that, when freed, Smith's literally a fluid! Then everybody teams up to kill them.) We've gotta get more progressive.

I think the heart of our difference is that while I think you are generally an extremely good political thinker in movies, you don't seem to really have any interest with trans theory so you're missing what is blaring queer text in the movie that trans people are picking up and prioritizing Morpheus over everyone else. I don't think your Morpheus led reading is wrong on its standing but you're applying the trans stuff in an extremely cis way. I apologize if you're not cis but that's the impression I've gotten from this and other times when you've dipped into trans discussions.

The history of trans people has been incredibly fraught with officials and gatekeepers trying to push us one way or another. The book from Jules-Gill Peterson, Histories of the Transgender Child is relatively short but extremely good at explaining how cis doctors try to place themselves and their opinion in the way of trans people and how trans people have needed to fight with and subvert the system in order to access the care they want. Morpheus being both the provider of the pills and a well meaning but self righteous blowhard with strong opinions isn't at all in conflict.

The paranoia of not being able to trust 'anyone' fits entirely because of how often, even in the most radical leftist spaces, trans people get abused and treated like poo poo for trying to assert our right to exist at all.

Even without the more explicit calls to gender and queer that would be more obvious to cishets, the movie is still rolling on text and subtext that's pure egg and queer.

jivjov posted:

good post

:glomp:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I think your continued assertions of Switch being trans because of entirely cut content is weird, don't think the Matrix is solely about tranphobic healthcare systems and would argue that Morpheus diminishes in importance through the movie relative to Trinity but I think we're about as close as we're going to get given our particular outlooks.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I maintain that there are traces of that intention in the completed film. Specifically, in the name.

With all of the characters, we can presume roughly the same story as Neo. “Tom Anderson” chose a random hacker alias without really thinking about - because it sounded cool or whatever. But then, only later, Neo interpreted (and re-interpreted) the name until deciding that the truth of the name is “I am and always have been The One”.

So, like, maybe Switch was into skateboarding before becoming a computer criminal and increasingly drawn to ur-hacker Morpheus’ libertarian rhetoric. But, the character eventually decided “my name is Switch and I have always been Switch.” The concept of switching is extremely important to them, and presumably reflected in the androgynous style of their “residual self-image”.

You’re totally right that Switch, if we view the film purely in a vacuum, is really ambiguous. Is Switch gay, trans, and/or just a big Laurie Anderson fan? We don’t and can’t ‘know’ because they’re a very minor character with like three lines.

But, because the character is so minor, my stance when the director says “they’re trans and the name refers to gender reassignment” is, like, “ok, sure. Why not?” It’s not really crucial to the interpretation of the film, because the film is primarily about Morpheus’ curious brand of multicultural libertarianism. Switch fleshes out Morpheus’ crew, but ultimately has less characterization than Mouse.

I think that my frustration with this conversation is that you have me and several other trans people talking about how Neo in particular and some of the preoccupations of the movie generally resonate very strongly with egg and baby trans experience. None of that seems to be landing with you at all and instead you're insisting that the most legible-to-you thing to be the most important trans part of the movie. I've gotten to the end of how much I really want to keep putting myself out and exposing my actual life in defense of a trans reading of the Matrix. When there are already a ton of trans people in this thread, telling you about their lives, we really, really don't need someone else explaining 'actually the trans story is this because it makes the most sense to me.' You can just not include it in your reading or be more willing to listen to the people right in front of you.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Following on to Ferrinus and tying it to the trans metaphor, a lot of the anti trans bills being proposed over the past year include things like obligating teachers, guidance counselors, doctors psychologists and the like to out any children showing anything that could be interpreted as queer or trans. They would be getting conscripted into enforcing the norms, willing or not, like the people turned into Agents.

The biggest flaw with Morpheus' position is the overall vagueness and spaces to for reactionary thinking to get into it. He identifies enough that he gets a crew of women, PoC, queers and others who are actually oppressed under existing real world system. But he also gets Cypher, who seems to read entirely as a cishet white guy. Cypher seems most motivated by getting power and status for himself over others, instead of the self actualization or universal revolution or whatever motivates the others. Instead he gets pissed that he isn't being given that and doesn't even get to gently caress Trinity like he clearly thinks he deserves, instead she's into Neo (who is trans). So Cypher betrays what solidarity the crew had for promises from Smith that the viewer doesn't really have a reason to think he can or cares to deliver on. The Wachowskis somewhat predicting the later misuse of the movie within it.

Liek Ferrinus has above, that's why the sequels end up getting so much more complicated, largely reject the straightforward gently caress the man reading available in the first movie and Morpheus gets largely sidelined since everything has developed past him. He seems to understand this which is why he offers the support he can and defers to others instead of being The Guy like he was for the first half of Matrix 1.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
SMG shut the gently caress up about telling trans people what the 'trans story really is'. Just stop talking about that. Talk about anything else you want, Jesus Christ, what the gently caress.

Nobody loving cares about 'the thin difference between that resonance and allegory,' especially when you start using that to edge closer and closer to calling transness an invention of capitalist society.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 27, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

In any case, these diegetic events don’t actually work as an allegory for taking hormone treatments, because it would obviously be a huge no-no for Morpheus to start dosing Neo with estrogen without first telling him what it is! But, then, the red pill in the movie is a one-time dose with sudden extreme effects, while estrogen is definitely not.

You just have absolutely no loving clue what you're talking about. You can dress up Morpheus' explanation of the pills as being a less involved, scifi version of my actual, literal, real life informed consent appointment with my doctor. Actually taking my estrogen pills for the first time may not have radically changed my body but it absolutely was like an explosion in my mind and knowingly putting me over a threshold I was absolutely never going to be able to come back from.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Being trans isn't dependent on external factors or medical intervention.

Based on what was presented in the movies ideally trans identities would look like ones that have existed throughout human history. They would have the name they want, clothes and social roles that correspond to who they are. The movies don't really show what day to day life in Zion would be so it is unclear exactly what that would mean.

e: The literal state of 'what would it mean to be trans in the universe of the Matrix?' is honestly a lot less interesting than how the overall story reflects the reality and thinking of trans people.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 30, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I am requesting that people don't use trans people as rhetorical objects to argue for the kind of posting they prefer.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I do think its funny that the commentary that myself and other trans people had about how the Matrix reflects our real life experiences got dismissed as too limiting by SMG and instead he's spinning up a debate with a single person that's like 6 Marxism abstraction layers deep that devolves to 'are they literal robots or not?'

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Trans people and other marginalized people get to speak for themselves, theoretical conversations about the movie are tied closer to more real world material concerns like Ferrinus', people who want to discuss the more literal content of the movie can do so, everyone gets some insight and goes into the next movie and more discussion happens.

e: My only really hard thing is where I was getting frustrated that people kept diminishing the presence of actual trans people, to either speak for them or to wield us against posting enemies. My comment towards SMG is that I think he's lost the plot on what used to be very insightful commentary and now just takes up all of the air in a room for things that are so far removed from material concerns that they don't educate or agitate people about the piece of art or their actual lives. Which of course, was a problem Marx had himself.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 30, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Halloween Jack posted:

From my point of view, the conversation between Ferrinus and SMG here is mostly about getting to the bottom of the material conditions. YMMV. I have more to say, but frankly I don't want to spit out something ill-considered and poorly-worded because I thought I had to cram an effortpost into the time it takes my pizza to finish cooking.

Fair if you are getting more from it than I am. I'm not telling either of them to stop posting generally but providing my commentary on thinking its disappearing into too theoretical to be meaningful, to be considered or not.

My 4k copies of the movies arrived yesterday and I'm looking forward to getting to watch them again, especially since the original has fixed color timing in this release.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I haven't watched either of the sequels in forever. I watched the original most recently a few years ago either slightly before or after coming out when another trans woman had first talked about all of the trans stuff in it.

I have a much nicer TV and great surround sound headphones so all of them should look and sound better than ever. Very far removed from the period in high school when I was watching the original DVD nearly every day on a mediocre CRT computer monitor.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

MacheteZombie posted:

What are the headphones you're using? It'd be nice to use headphones sometimes at night when my partner is sleeping.

I've been using Arctis Pro Wireless https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-wireless that I bought to use with my PS5. Not cheap and you might be able to do better if you don't need the headset functionality but I like them a lot for my stuff. Reasonably comfy to wear for hours with glasses and earrings.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Ferrinus posted:

It's really the opposite; Marx's rivals produced analysis so far from material concerns that it failed to educate or agitate anyone. That's why there have been multiple Marxist revolutions but no Proudhonian ones.

It's also why there's a long tradition of Marxist feminism that examines relationship between queer liberation and socialist revolution, and why the anticapitalist themes of The Matrix also make The Matrix a better trans narrative. As I see it, my discussion with SMG is about the extent to which the movie depicts an anticapitalist rebellion as opposed to just a New Age spiritual awakening or Free State Project or whatever.

Yes I am familiar with Marxist feminism, have read Marx and intend to read the book Transgender Marxism once I finish my current reading material, which is Sailor Moon. My comment on Marx was that he obviously has many, many good points, but often disappears up his rear end to be a catty bitch in hilarious footnotes and incredibly long winded discussion. The big name revolutionaries may have themselves read and fully appreciate the full gamut of Marx's writings but they were able to distill things down much more immediately recognizable problems. You don't need to understand the use values of coats to get that the bosses are loving you over.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I'm unsure what you mean by this, because I am focusing exclusively on material concerns. Like, here's a very basic material question: does Neo eat food?

According to the logic of the film, anyone inside the matrix can simply become immortal if they train hard enough. There is absolutely no relation between what the characters eat in the simulation and the amount of nutrition they receive in reality. They can conjure shelves upon shelves of hamburgers and, feeling fat and full, accidentally starve to death without even realizing it.

Likewise, Neo fears unemployment at the start of the film, after he's late for work and the boss chews him out. So, what, is unemployment an illusion? Is that not a material concern?

I mean in terms of that it doesn't matter exactly how food works in the Matrix universe because the Matrix is a story where lots of things falls to the wayside for the nature of storytelling. Eventually things dig so deep in trying to determine where The Matrix falls on Marxist orthodoxy that it feels like it leads to a question of "What does any of that have to do with building a revolutionary movement in the real world?" Like analysis of Star Wars in terms of neoliberal government failing to respond to real needs, institutions like the Jedi failing to live up to their stated goals in favor of rear end covering and the potentially revolutionary character of Luke Skywalker breaking away from the liberal rebels in Empire and Darth Vader as a renegade communist breaking all of the systems feels more actionable.

checkplease posted:

I am curious after you rewatch it, but do you find reloaded continues with the same trans metaphor/language? Your insights to the first movie made sense, but as stated in all the discussion here, the sequels do change up a lot from the original matrix.

From memory, that the story revolves around Neo getting jerked around in circles to accomplish his tasks feels a lot like what I've been dealing with to get paperwork updated and various things I need. As well as Smith losing his loving mind and trying to destroy everything because of trans visibility feels relevant. More might come up once I actually watch them because its probably like 8+ years since I've seen them. The transition of egg->coming out->finding the initial footing is a more intense and unique than what comes after, in my personal and relatively short term experience.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

bushisms.txt posted:

This is a major issue with these forums, minority plights and conditions are thought exercises for some of these folks and they don't think about the fact that the otherside of the conversation comes from a real place, which a majority of the time is pain. But the worst part is when they do know this and they think that this makes the minority biased and unable to read clearly, unlike them, who's only being logical.

The hidden joke for me is that I came to my trans realization out of being a part a socialist feminist book club and I met the Marxist trans woman who first told me about the trans interpretation of the story at a workplace organizing event then reconnected with her in the tenant organizing group I used to be a part of. My literal origin story is being a trans communist. While I am not as read as other people, I absolutely understand this poo poo and I am just personally uninterested in the bloviating or being talked down to by people who think they're just so much smarter than everyone else.

Anyway, Matrix 4 is probably going to be awesome or dumb in incredible ways so I'm hyped. I've been listening to the soundtracks of the sequels off and on and they're so good. I love the bass lines that drive the whole Highway Chase score.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 1, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Given that the Second Renaissance is framed as the Zion Archive's version of what happened, its possible that the humans being prepared to literally murder the earth in counter revolutionary reaction is the version of the story that tries to make them look better than what 'really happened'. The machines responded by placing them into virtual re-education camps until they can live to the ideals of robo-communism. Sadly by time of the movies, much like in real world histories, the robots have also lost their original principles due to stagnation and needing to deal with the continued contradictions and strife with the remaining humans.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Given that there is no reason why the programs within the Matrix are really any different from the humans within, just with the potential benefit of their 'minds' being able to use any machine shell they could want in the outside world. We already know there are dissenting factions within the programs, with people like the family in Revolutions, the Merovingian, Smith, the Oracle and the Architect all reflecting differing degrees of incompatible positions. Smith's position is rejected by all other factions, depending on if you take his assimilation of beings as literal assuming control or convincing people of the correctness of his position and the necessity of breaking the whole thing. The Architect speaks for the Old Guard, wanting things to keep working as they are.

Unfortunately, the Oracle wins out by the crisis she herself created, forcing everything down an unworkable utopian capitalist road, which can only further devolve the Machines perfect communism into liberalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I recommend Are Prisons Obsolete? by Angela Davis if people want to read a good work about the class dynamics, history and visions of prison abolition that don't involve needing to consider highly intelligent robots. It a fairly short and straightforward read.