Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Are there any recent movies that are creating tomorrow's tired visual effects imagery the way the Matrix did when it came out?

Also, I hope Matrix 4 is as visually creative as the original was. I'll forgive a poo poo story if it's another feast for the eyes.

e.
I mean the special effects side of things specifically, not just cool fight choreography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Unexpectedly jazzed for this movie. I ended up watching Matrix and Reloaded this weekend. I must have blanked out how influential the movie was on 12 year old me because seeing it again threaded together a bunch of disparate memories from that time, like suddenly having opinions on The Prodigy, or thinking wearing a trench coat was cool.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Here's an excellent breakdown of the trailer - full of things I missed and good speculation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSwqTxdOGsQ

I don't want to theorycraft too much in case I write a more satisfying fanfiction in my head than what we end up getting, but if the movie has some commentary about the medicalization of everything then that would be pretty cool. Baudrillard was poignant as we were transitioning into a digital hyperreality in 1999 but Foucault is probably more insightful for where we find ourselves in 2021.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

MLSM posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Sounds interesting.
Baudrillard wrote about a state of being called hyperreality wherein you can no longer differentiate between what is real and what is simulation. The Matrix references it directly because it's described in his book Simulacra and Simulation, and this is also the book Neo's hollowed out to hide his disks at the start of it. Baudrillard didn't necessarily mean full-on Matrix simulation; more like we live in a world where we've lost touch with material reality, and everything is relational and relative and fluid (e.g. if you work in a factory, being a "factory worker" is now an identity unto itself and not a description of your relationship to the means of production). But whatever it's a hamfisted Hollywood movie. The Matrix seemed prescient given how much the internet and social media and parasocial relationships have come to dominate everything.

Foucault wrote about systems of control. One thing he discusses is the medicalization of previously non-medical behaviors or conditions such that the doctor or expert positions themselves as possessing privileged knowledge about you that you yourself cannot possess, and also of deciding what is normal and what is abnormal.

I probably butchered it but thats my Coles Notes understanding.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I read through the MMO lore. Is the entire Matrix that one megacity (+ adjacent mountain range)?