Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

No Mods No Masters posted:

In my opinion things like the "working on the matrix sequel" montage establish that time passes in the matrix 4 matrix in a basically normal way, events have a logical sequence, etc. You're not just living the same day over and over in permanent stasis. Even if it were simplified somewhat, beings that could serve as eg your family in that environment I think pass the hurdle for being people and not glorified chatbots pretty easily.

I understand reasonable people can differ to an extent, but I think views too far from that baseline would start to rely a lot on things not in the movie

Isn't it kind of hinted at that Neal Patrick Harris is resetting the matrix a bunch? At least for Neo anyway, so doesn't it follow that at least for Neo he is locked in some kind of stasis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite part is where they shoot the guns.

But then in the 2nd movie they do lots of king Fu. And that's pretty cool also.

Did you know that there was a new Morpheus because the old Morpheus died in the matrix online?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Matrix is probably unique compared to most franchises since it's one of the few where the creative team is involved in most of the supplemental material so we have a pretty firm idea of what the meta-textual intent is so, oddly, there's not a ton to dig into with "what is the intent here". Even more so than the above, the movies are pretty straight forward about everything you could want. I mean, there's not a lot of subtlety here.

Okay, so, about this:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So, we're back to the fundamental question of "what is the matrix?" I and others have been reading against the series, but the ideological universe of the films remains libertarian. Although there have been attempts to color this as progressive - the fight of the oppressed against state power - what we are actually seeing is the expression of a conflict within libertarianism, inherent to libertarianism.

No, just no. The Matrix is a powerplant because it's the most logical reason for machines to generate power during a war where humans LITERALLY RUINED THE SUN OUT OF SPITE. Machines, would need to pick a power source that humans wouldn't poison out of spite and humans are the only thing that humans can't destroy. Sounds like the thinking of a machine, to me.

Why is The Matrix like it is? (i.e. corporate 1999) Answer: budget. Plot Answer: In the Animatrix (and the movie) it's revealed that the machines intended a perfect paradise for humans but we kept rejecting it (I'll come back to this) so they were probably toying with iterations of The Matrix that people will mostly just accept. Yes the Merovingian has ghosts and werewolves, because power comes from stress and movement so we need people (while plugged in) to move a lot and get real stressed. So sure why not a fear version? Happiness didn't work. Also we learn from Kid's and the Runner's Stories (animatrix) that you can pretty much "will" yourself awake if pushed hard enough, so you want to push people to get power, but not enough to force them out which leads us too..

How does the Matrix generate power at all, like aren't people (blah,blah,whatever)? We know, from the MOVIES that even while plugged in, your body and muscles are still twitching and convulsing (there's shots from outside of people grabbing the chairs, reacting to getting shot, convulsing from being punched), "Your body makes it real". And in pods, people have hoses and connections at major muscle groups and along the spine. This isn't for show, it's where the power comes from. While fully plugged in (pod) every action, movement, muscle twitch and brain impulse gets harvested a bit to make power. "you've never used your muscles before"

Okay, but why do they use people? Why not cows or, since the war is over other forms of power? Answer: Rama Kandra. Rama Kandra is Sati's dad. He's a program. He also feels love and sentience, the Oracle explains that the Matrix is full of programs managing systems and doing background rendering work. Those programs are like Rama Kandra. They're alive. And they don't want to be deleted. The Machines, in having self awareness probably have empathy for each other, and thus Shutting down The Matrix is basically a Genocide (War's over, delete Arizona). The Matrix, is too big to fail.

Thanks for coming to my seminar. Stay tuned for part 2: The entire trilogy was a plan by the oracle and the architect literally says this to her at the end of the movie how did you miss this?

Trollologist fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 30, 2022

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

As noted above, this doesn't make sense because of thermodynamics. So, what you're actually saying is that the matrix is a totally useless "make-work program" for otherwise-unemployed machine intelligences. But this isclaiming a lot about the machine economy: "human farming" is a dead industry (was never even viable as an industry), unable to compete on the broader energy market - yet the machine government is nonetheless pumping shitloads of aid into it (instead of just supporting the unemployed)...? Implicitly, we're talking a Theranos-style massive fraud case or something, with all the various elements involved in that. The more we investigate this, the more complexity we need to introduce for it to make sense.

Just real quick, I can't think of a single sci-fi series that doesn't viciously spit in the face of thermodynamics or relativity at some point so at least with regards to "what's the exchange rate of kcal to watt/hr? It's dumb! :smug:" I hope we can call that suspension of disbelief.

On the make work: Yes. It is. The matrix is, at least as shown in the film, profitable for the machines in regards to power. And given that it requires a proxy war to maintain, is still the safest way to extract power.

The real meta analysis of the trilogy is the relationship between Zion and 01. Zion, as stated at multiple points in the films is a whole cloth creation of the machines and acts as kind of a dump for all the rejects. Why? What purpose can this possibly serve? If the machines value machine life, why force a proxy war where sentinels die? Is the proxy war itself a make-work machine project? Couldn't you just shoot the rejects into a grinder and pump the nutrients back into the pods? It's stated that this is a function of the matrix currently.

If there is a capitalism or libertarian analogy, it's between Zion and 01 not between humans and the matrix.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Claiming that Matrix is a universe where the laws of physics don't apply is 'just' the fantasy of immersion into simulation. Suspension of disbelief, as a contrast, is when you approach a movie as something more akin to theatre - as an artwork

I'm not saying the laws of physics don't apply, merely that in science fiction the analogy for human society is masked with what is essentially magic described as technology to allow the analogy to function. Star Trek, a series that is ostensibly about testing utopian ideals in fringe cases against competing ideas doesn't have to answer questions like: How are Phasers Powered? What is Dilithium and where does it come from? How does the warp drive....function? can you botch a transporter and end up with 2 copies of the same person? What's loving going on in the holodeck? We eschew these concerns to explore the greater ideals at play.

In the Matrix, the thermodynamic plausibility of a power generator is immaterial to the greater story about Man vs Machine in a construct of machines' design that is itself a greater system of Machine Design. The Oracle, in birthing Smith, made him into a virus by design, or was smith simply the opportunity she had to create a virus? What force does Smith represent in relation to the Psyche?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just loving love The Matrix and want MXO back :sigh:

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Where are we getting this idea that there's billions of people in the matrix? Isn't the population mostly just in megacity?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Resurrections is okay but probably the weakest one in the series.

But if anything, it continues the trend of Matrix movies being "not as good as the last one"

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I was interested in it. Then I watched it. And when an agent started thinking for himself I got loving 1,000% hype. And then when I learned it was a sub matrix, and it was secretly fake Morpheus. The movie took a drop.

It was okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

as someone who loved matrix 1/2, fake morpheus was cool, the worst part was them going nowhere with him after his introduction

As sentient AI, created by a man to be an homage to another man and forced to play a role as a whole other entity, he should have had a loving psychotic break at some point in the movie, coming to grips with what he is. I would have liked that scene.

Also, what the gently caress was the model? Is that like, explained at all? Is it a real place you can go to in the matrix that neo pretend coded????