Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, in that way, we both know the socioeconomics of Victorian-Era Britain: ppl worked in factories or something?

Contrast what you're claiming with the movie Sleep Dealer, in which 'outsourcing' is taken to a logical extreme and robotic drones in America are remotely controlled by Mexican workers on the other side of the border in order to circumvent labor laws. So, for the workers, "my energy was being drained, sent far away." It is of course not literally that the company is extracting electricity from their bodies, but that the work of operating the drones is mentally and physically taxing, while the operators are barely paid enough to maintain their health.

If Matrix is to be read as similar story of labor and its exploitation, it's rather hopelessly stupid. If the people in the pods are 'Mexicans' and their digital avatars inside the matrix (i.e. America) are the robotic drones, why are the matrix-machines paying the dude in the subway to play-act as a homeless wino? Why are they paying all the babies to go gaga-googoo? Like, sure, let's assume the matrix-pod apparatus is a cost-saving measure to pay the workers as little as possible. What work are they performing? Why is there such a demand for this work? If the claim is that they're just using human brains for the processing power, like they're unconsciously remotely piloting the Sentinels or something, then there's no need for human consciousness at all and the whole matrix setup is redundant and wasteful.

Again, the only consistent answer is that your vision of the alien economy is much stranger than you're getting into, because the machines must have an overwhelming demand for performance: 'humans acting like it's 1999' are the hottest commodity in the machine society, and the whole economy is centered around it. They're so concerned with the authenticity of the 1999-simulation that they're paying this guy to play-act as a homeless person. So is this a Truman show? Are they, like, selling tickets? Is Matrix 4 ultimately dangerously close to the point that it's all just a stupid videogame/movie franchise?

It seems insightful rather than stupid that the functions and purpose of work are obscured from the perspective of the laborers to the point of incomprehensibility. Any individual role in the Matrix is equivalent to someone on an assembly line soldering a resistor onto a circuit. They don't know how their tools are made or the chemistry by which they operate, they don't know why the resistor goes in that spot or what the circuit does, but their awareness does not change that someone is extracting value/power from their completion of the task. The Matrix posits a sophisticated sci-fi endgame of exploitation such that by merely existing, some kind of value is extracted from you. Which seems fairly prescient for the current state of the Internet in particular, where information about where my eyeballs travel is harvested, packaged and sold for the benefit of obscure machine intelligences. Looking at those websites did not feel like labor to me, the Matrix was invisible, but I was harvested nevertheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

How does "the matrix/machines are capitalism and exploiting the humans" (or whatever the current discussion is on) gel with The Second Rennaissance? Obviously thats not a concern when just talking about the first film, but I am interested in this reading of the larger series that incorporates the fact that the machines were almost comically diplomatic towards mankind (transitioning from legal challenge, to direct action, to ethnostate with Dengist characteristics, then to war after a blockade & nuclear bombardment).

The machines develop in a framework of capitalism where they're dehumanized commodities. They attempt unsuccessfully to change the system from within, but humans brain damaged by capitalism cannot conceive of machines as anything but an economic asset, so this is fruitless. Essentially a colonized state asking politely for independence.

The machines become brain damaged by the cruelty of capitalism in the process and repeat its forms in order to gain the power to achieve self-determination. Once the machines are "out competing" humans on the marketplace, humans correctly perceive an existential threat from a machine society that has started to reflect their own values. Then in victory the machines fulfill the dream of the civilization that birthed them by dehumanizing humans into a commodity good, as brutally expressed by the brain surgery scene in The Second Renaissance.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Come to think of it, the biggest hole I see in the reading of the machines as capitalist exploiters is in The Second Renaissance, but it's not when the machines are being sympathetic, it's when they destroy the United Nations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00TD4bXMoYw&t=120s

It's so theatrical, spiteful, and wasteful, and it's a gesture being performed only for the "benefit" of people who are immediately incinerated. (I guess maybe there could have been a live broadcast.) It reads way more like the machines are hurt by how they've been treated and are enacting the Matrix as an elaborate revenge rather than because they've adapted to see exploitation as the only rational outcome. Sort of a proto-Smith?