Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

It's weird they seem to have got everyone back except Morpheus. Does anyone know what's happened there? Laurence Fishburne has been working with Keanu in the John Wick movies and I can't fathom why they'd bring back characters like Niobe but not him? I know there's rumors of a younger Morpheus instead but if they're using younger versions of the characters why have Carrie-Anne Moss and Keanu Reeves return along with the others?

Keanu Reeves doesn't age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I don't see how that's a discrepancy. Just because they talk about Heathrow doesn't mean Neo can visit it. I'd always imagined it was more like a Truman Show thing where the rest of the world supposedly exists, but the people inside never travel there. Why make a simulation where you have to figure out how to keep rural people as complacent as city people? Reduce the variables.

Also, there's no reason why the machines wouldn't lie about what Morpheus is doing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Smith has zero reason to lie to Morpheus, who is about to die along with Zion. If we suppose that he's feeding false intel to people the Machines are going to exterminate tomorrow, nothing makes sense.

Smith is trying to break Morpheus' spirit so that he will give him his codes to Zion. That gives him reason to lie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ok, so this is where you have to actually read the text. Are you saying the whole monologue is a bizarro-logic opposite-speech where ‘he am not Smith’?

If not, then which specific parts are lies?
By the end of the first movie he has gotten his wish. He has left the Matrix and yet he returns. And even if he believes he's right doesn't mean that he is right. He's still a bunch of coding trying to understand humanity. And the end of the trilogy shows that he has a pretty poor understanding. He can't understand why Neo won't just die and hand him the crown.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Smith obviously didn’t expect to be blown up at the end of the first film. So your evidence that he’s lying is that he isn’t lying, but he’s arrogant.

Smith says something then does the opposite.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I have my doubts that Reeves will sign on to do another Matrix sequel without involvement of the Wackowskis. Which I guess could be a good thing ultimately if it makes them do a story where Neo isn't the center of the universe for once.

I know Lana is producing but what does that really mean.

It's pretty easy to recast Neo. They can just say It's a new version or something. Neo 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Time seems to pass in the Matrix (the first movie begins with Trinity and Cypher monitoring him in "1998" and he gets pulled out in "1999"), so that could be a fun way to play with it. For example, Anthony Zerbe's character was pulled out at 11 years old, which means from his perspective it would have been 1947 if they share the same birth year. He wouldn't have just had to learn about the Matrix, he'd have had to learn about computers.

We don't really know how long it has been the nineties though. There's no reason why his character wasn't also born in in that decade.