Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Dave posted:

About 5 seconds in I realized there was very little I needed to be super hyped for this.

This is kinda where I'm at.

It's the Matrix. Even when it's bad, it's still the motherfucking Matrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Wachowskis showing up at the end of Path of Neo to explain why the end of Revolutions would be kinda poo poo for a video game so you're just gonna fight a giant Smith kaiju instead may be my favorite thing they've ever done.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I spent today watching all three movies. My third eye is fully open and I have gleamed the following wisdom.

1) The Matrix is the greatest film of all time. I am not accepting counterarguments at this time.
2) Reloaded is really good. Like, really good. When they hit that highway, everything from there until the end credits is just great. I still don't know why Neo even bothers fighting Smith though. Bro, you can just leave whenever you want. :lol:
3) For how well built up it is, I think the Super Burly Brawl is the worst Neo vs. Smith fight by a considerable margin, which is sad, because they really did a pretty good job spending two movies building up to it. :(
4) Carrie Anne Moss. Just. God drat.

I enjoyed the hell out of all three movies and I am super stoked for Resurrections on Wednesday. :toot:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Heres a Last Jedi opinion. It should have involved Keanu Reevers and Carrie Anne Moss.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Basebf555 posted:

I think for this one the reason is that they have to fool Smith into absorbing Neo's code into himself. If Neo just shows up and lays down without a fight then he might think something is amiss.

Yeah Smith just wants to beat Neo to death. Neo had to beat Smith to the point where Smith would try to copy him as his only way out or, as it actually happened, spook him with Oracle poo poo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Nail Rat posted:

If you don't mind probable spoilers, wikipedia's plot section for the movie has some big "Half Life: Full Life Consequences" energy right now.

Take a screencap and spoiler tag it, I'll come back and look at it tomorrow. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jimbot posted:

As a person who enjoys the most hated comic book films by critics and film twitter I say welcome. Also pay no mind to any of them, they get paid for what we do here for free.

Yeah Catwoman got a bad rap.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This definitely felt like a movie that was squeezed pretty rough by the pandemic and possibly its own budget. I definitely felt a desire to go all out for the ending but it just....was not there. I liked some of the action scenes, but nothing was quite as good as the best action scenes from the first three movies.

From a story and theming and worldbuilding perspective, I think I really liked, possibly even loved it? It added some really cool stuff to the world, it told a story I was very interested in, some of the performances in this movie were really good, Reeves, NPH and Groff being the highlights, imo. I really appreciated that they didn't go full Force Awakens, "okay, everybody loving died to make peace in the last movie and it's completely undone." They put real effort into showing that there was a tangible change in the status quo and the stuff that was done in the original trilogy really did make people's lives better. That felt like a direct gently caress you to Force Awakens and I'm glad they did it.

I didn't really need more Matrix after Revolutions and I don't really need more after this. If this is how the series ends, I am wholly satisfied. But if they make more launching off of this movie, I'm in.

...as long as at least one Wachowski is involved.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

surf rock posted:

Is this a you-need-to-see-it-in-theaters kind of movie in terms of the visual effects and score, or is it fine at home?

I just got out of a screening at a theater and you absolutely do not need to see this in a theater. I don't think the experience would be harmed at all watching it from your couch.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I admit that the whole operation on Trinitt and jacking her into Bugs? completely flew over my head but it was also one of the few really good action shots of the movie so I let it slide. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Didn't Matrix Online play with that concept of humans working with machines? Like, Cypherites or something?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Idle thought.

The way The modal was structured as the opening to the first Matrix movie. What're the odds that was written that way, in some part at least, specifically so they could get Agents into the trailer? :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dont think we have to worry about what a Matrix 5 would look like one way or the other with the way this one is performing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was poking around to see if Lilly had said anything about this film and I wound up stumbling on this quote from Lana and I think it pretty well explains why I felt the end of this movie hit so strongly. There's something kinda powerful about a creator going through this process and deciding to end their movie with two characters that had died, flying hand-in-hand off to their happy ending that they didn't get the first time.

https://twitter.com/Thatoneguy64/status/1474095821822074882

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

King Vidiot posted:

Some of you guys just can't appreciate a good gently caress-around vanity project and it shows. Lana made this movie for herself and doesn't give a drat if you like it.

This could be 100% true and to me, the idea that Lana Wachowski took a bunch of Warner Bros' money to A) Tell Warner Bros to go gently caress themselves and B) Work through some personal stuff, makes the film immensely more compelling to me. But even then, even if Lana doesn't care if people dislike it, people are still allowed to dislike it and voice disliking it.

Having said that, the whole "I challenge you to summarize the movie" thing was pretty weird and unnecessary.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

King Vidiot posted:

True, it's just that some people seem really angry about it which I just find baffling.

Well.

Yeah.

Like, purely for example, this thread, the absolute worst way to watch a movie I've ever seen:

https://twitter.com/ReviewsPossum/status/1474194710524796930

I genuinely feel nothing but pity for people who choose to engage media in this way.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Noam Chomsky posted:

What don't people like about Reloaded and Revolutions?

I like all the movies but I'm genuinely curious. No wrong answers.

I love both but my nitpick on Reloaded is why did Neo fight Smith? Bro you can just leave whenever you want.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm pretty sure the characters that mention trans politics and anticapitalism are also the ones that are balking at the ones saying stuff like "Matrix needs to be dumb and loud". It didn't strike me as a one-size fits all "all of these morons are wrong" thing.

It is possible for those characters to have been well-meaning and have a salient point while still also contributing to the overall wall of noise that was barraging Neo. I think reading the film as dismissive of trans interpretations of the Matrix based on that one scene is really loving glib at best.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, it's this. The point isn't that trans readings of The Matrix are bad. The point is that commodifying the trans politics into a brand is bad. But the video game developers aren't all being shown as equally bad. They're all working in a flawed system of commodification, but the guy who mentions trans politics seems earnest.

But also, the idea that hat trans-readings of The Matrix are being undermined by a movie in which the climax is the hero reclaiming her name and telling The Matrix to stop dead-naming her--just like Neo does in the original--seems off.

Just outta curiosity, was it confirmed anywhere that Tiffany was her pre-awakening name or is that just the logical thing to assume from her going "Tiffany? Really?"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought IO was supposed to be read I/O. Also I got the feeling it was bigger than Zion though I dunno if that's based on anything.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The dock fight in Revolutions doesn't do a ton for me because Mifune and Kid and Link's wife all feel pretty undercooked as characters, but the Hammer's run through the mechanical (NOBODY CAN FLY MECHANICAL) tunnel was really great, I thought.

Once the Sentinels start doing the Squid Hadoken, the dock fight feels kinda pointless. Because, like. What's the point anymore. Just keep doing Squid Hadoken until everybody's dead.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Smith's epiphany is "the purpose of life is to end", so yeah, he wants to just kill everyone. He wants to end the current system by completely destroying it and every part of it. It's kinda funny how much more chilled out Ressurections Smith is by comparison.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Only like two of the agents in that scene wore masks. What an absolutely bizarre question.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
One character has a mask with green text on it and their mask has green text on it before they get "activated" and start attacking. The other characters in masks don't have any green text on them at all. I can't believe you're calling a presumably nice girl an "NPC" just because she's considerate enough to wear a mask on a crowded train and owns merchandise from an extremely popular trilogy of video games.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's alright, just try to pay closer attention next time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What's that about a rerelease?

Also I think Reloaded really got an unfair shake in its time possibly just because of what it was trying to live up to. I look back on it now and I just loving love it, the whole chateau fight into the highway chase is one of my favorite action scenes ever.

I should watch Ressurections again, I really liked the weird meta aspects at the time. I wonder how a marathon of all four movies would feel.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mutantIke posted:

I know it has been pointed out a million times elsewhere but I am just going to say that I think it is pretty cool that The Matrix's 25th birthday happened to land on Easter. It is also pretty cool that The Matrix's release date and Trans Day Of Visibility are both March 31st. Just some wonderful synergy going on there.

I saw a tweet talking about this and was going to come to this thread to share it! And then you posted it. So I'm quoting your post instead. Well done. :ocelot:

But yeah. Movie made by two transwomen about cyber jesus. Pretty darn cool.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In what universe are you gonna get Reeves or Fisher to come back without either Wachowski involved?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/strangeharbors/status/1775568987486621773

Lana really did make sure to toss a match behind her with Resurrections, juuuuuuuuuust in case.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/eventualforever/status/1775820711912784111

A quick glance at his resume, Drew seems like a fine gent, but these jokes at his expense are pretty funny.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Somebody needs to start one of those "Looking back, it was actually good." campaigns for Reloaded.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Colonel Whitey posted:

They’re all good, flawed movies that I’d rather watch than almost any other action/scifi movie of the last two decades

I feel comfortable saying 1 is flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wiki piss and poo poo. :hmmyes: