Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just coming in here to say that I have been in full on Matrix Mania hype mode over the rerelease last week, ended up dragging along a bunch of my friends including my GF who hasn't seen it, and got to experience the sheer bliss of watching someone's face light up as Trinity shoots the agent in the head and they finally realize that they're watching the coolest film of all time (and then seeing them realize that over and over again throughout the third act).

Also I just rewatched Reloaded with Rocco Botte's commentary from 2012 and it's fascinating whenever he talks about what it was like being a fan back in 2003, when the movies had real cultural purchase. We talk a lot now about how disappointing the sequels are or whatever but he talks about hearing the audience turn against the movie as it continued and that just fascinates me. (For the record I am pro-sequels and pro-Resurrections, as I assume everyone else in this thread is.) I guess if I want to be a true MatrixHead Freak I should probably play the PS2 game to get the real and full experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Mike N Eich posted:

I think the feeling really dissipated after Revolutions because the film, while fine, didn't care to go down many of those open doors that Reloaded threw open at the end of the film.

I think it's true that the third movie is a lot less philosophical, but it's no less thematically deep than reloaded, it just focuses on deconstructing different elements. Reloaded is mostly about dismantling the chosen one narrative, and in that journey it uses a lot of philosophical language/concepts, ergo vis a vis concordantly.

Meanwhile Revolutions goes broader and focuses on deconstructing the narrative of war between humans and machines itself. It doesn't do that with info dumps like the first two, but bakes it more into the storyline itself, with the Mobil Ave stuff and everything involving Neo's machine sight. (Side note, I think there's something to be said for the series as an allegory for real life war with Smith as the military-industrial complex, but that's a topic for another time.)

Revolutions is definitely the worse movie from a structural/blockbuster perspective but I don't think it's dumber or less contemplative, it just discusses its themes in a different way.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I know it has been pointed out a million times elsewhere but I am just going to say that I think it is pretty cool that The Matrix's 25th birthday happened to land on Easter. It is also pretty cool that The Matrix's release date and Trans Day Of Visibility are both March 31st. Just some wonderful synergy going on there.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'm pretty sure you're the first guy in history to have that incredibly interesting and brave opinion. Do you have anything to say about the Star Wars prequels? Maybe you've got a hot take on M Night Shyamalan? Please, tell us more.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
My college's student movie theater was cleaning out an old closet and for whatever reason there was a cardboard box full of McFarlane Matrix figures. I got to take it home because everyone there knows I'm a Wachowski Freak.

Not pictured is Morpheus sitting in the chair and the Chateau set with "nameless goon that has Norman Osborn hair". Also there's some of the lobby debris that came with the Trinity figure but no Trinity, someone got to her first.
EDIT: I also have "real world" Neo, forgot about him

mutantIke fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 18, 2024