Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I'm asking in good faith just so I understand better how to talk about it.

The answer is that there's not uniformity among people who are trans as to how they relate to themselves pre-transition, so there's no rule or standard in any general sense. It's pretty common for people to want their preferred pronoun/label applied retroactively (the Wachowski Sisters, even if they were male-identified at the time), but others either don't care or feel strongly the other way: they are who they are NOW but were not in the past.

You'd have to ask the Wackowskis their preference. I'm not even sure if they prefer "Sisters" today, because they're also quite vocal about nonbinary or genderqueer identity, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Uh yeah The Matrix is one of the highest grossing R films ever made and was immediately, profoundly influential to pop culture in a way few original movies are. Its theatrical release was definitely not buried lol.

Yes.

I can think of few movies with such an obvious impact, at least stylistically or aesthetically, on popular media that followed. It was goddamn everywhere in the early 2000's, either earnestly in action films that sought to emulate it, or just pop-culturally from parodies and references (in anything from Shrek to sketch comedy to literally Bollywood films.) It was a surprisingly huge deal.

It definitely was not buried by Columbine or anything, I mean to say.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

H13 posted:

...Then suddenly we get 2 pretty drat mediocre sequels (Albeit with one amazing action sequence each. The highway chase and the Sentinel attack on Zion are freaking awesome) with half-baked ideas that seemed to desperately search for a point, without ever really making one.

That's pretty much it, yeah. They developed the first movie for years, built its philosophy and mined sci-fi elements from Ghost in the Shell and Neuromancer and whatnot. And when the product of that work was successful, they had to develop 2 sequels ASAP to strike while the iron was still hot.

I'm honestly pretty sympathetic for them, because of course the sequels would be bad. The Architect is what happens when your movie, famous for high concept philosophy, has to top itself with no time to come up with anything interesting. It's like Westworld season 2, a gigantic mess of half-baked concepts jotted down out of desperation.

mobby_6kl posted:

Maybe we could get another Max Payne game out of this at least!

I'd still love to see a good Max Payne movie. The lovely Wahlberg one still hurts to think about.