Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
https://twitter.com/nbcbayarea/status/1215041771471884289?s=21

The matrix sequels were filmed in Alameda too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

The first time I saw this I thought it was a new Marvell movie but then realized they would've just greenscreened evyerthing

https://i.imgur.com/mZrPsx8.mp4

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1228821420685299712?s=21

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

My friend took this picture of some set dressing. They fixed up a coffee shop to be this Good Place style pun

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I'm going to watch and love this movie even if it's bad. I have a soft spot for the sequels and I can never hate them even if I know they're not really all that good.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

codo27 posted:

People talk like the Matrix is some kinda guilty pleasure as if it isn't one of the best and most important movies to see the light of day in the last 25 years

Martman posted:

I agree the whole thing is amazing, but I especially think the whole last act starting with entering the skyscraper to rescue Morpheus is some of the most insanely perfect action movie poo poo ever made

True posts right here. The first act is legendary too, it follows very typical hero's journey story beats but it's paced and directed to really maximize the intrigue and impact of Neo's awakening and then delivers on the promise of finding out what the Matrix is. Even the long rear end exposition scene where Fishburne just lays it all out for Keanu is some compelling poo poo because of all the tricks they use to keep it visually interesting.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I was 14, which was the exact perfect age to have your mind loving blown by the Matrix. I saw it with a group of friends and we were forced to sit in the very front row and it still owned so hard

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I'm really interested in what the 'real world' looks like after potentially generations of humans being given the option to awaken per the deal at the end of Revolutions. Are they still underground? Has the surface of the earth recovered and become repopulated? Is the new society better or worse than being in the Matrix? I'm thinking the movie will grapple with that question.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah I don’t know either about the timeline, I’m just making assumptions. Pinkett-Smith (and Neo and Trinity) could possibly just be computer programs generated by the need for the matrix to have resistance figures in order to perpetuate its existence, and those were the resistance figures that people were drawn to initially so it recreates them. That would be a neat parallel to our political reality, where the appearance of resistance without the will to act serves to perpetuate cycles of control and oppression.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 8, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

don't forget Cowboy Curtis

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

the trick is that they're both placebos

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I’m loving the theorycrafting we have going on, I’m just positively giddy that there’s a new Matrix movie coming out.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Torquemada posted:

People speculating on every microscopic detail of the trailer and trying to explain their positions using the kludged-together nonsense developed to provide a framework for two exceptionally poor action films.

Also, three months, not fourteen, thanks for the correction.

why do you care if people discuss the previous movies in the context of this new trailer. like just close your eyes

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Torquemada posted:

I guess if you read what I said and leave out the important half you could imagine I said this.

i don't think any part of your post could be considered an important half

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Gross, not in the bathtub, Neo

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1435965947685212163?s=20

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 9, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

holy poo poo, could it be?

https://twitter.com/slytherinus/status/1435958675470884864?s=20

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That twisting shot of the agent coming through the door into the hallway is sick as gently caress

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

INH5 posted:

In the first film, Smith does say that the current iteration of the Matrix was based on "The peak of your civilization. I say your civilization because as soon as we started thinking for you, it really became our civilization..." But then in the sequels there are a few lines saying that they've been fighting for 100 years, and then when we meet the Architect we learn that the Machines have destroyed Zion 5 times before, so I think the implication is that the Machines have been running the 20th century on a loop for the better part of a millennium, and when the next One shows up upon reaching Y2k, give or take a few years, they destroy and then repopulate Zion and reset the Matrix back to 1900?

I don't think it resets to 1900, my interpretation is that the Matrix world is always circa 1999, with no progress made and everyone just unquestioningly accepting it because that's a key feature of the Matrix.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Ghosthotel posted:

Yeah really wish it had the subtlety of the first movie where the main characters name is an anagram for One

Seriously, one of my favorite things about the Matrix is how unsubtle its imagery and metaphors are. Not everything needs to be some arcane reference or subdued symbolism, sometimes you just gotta use a hammer and bonk the audience with it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Look to your left. Look to your right. If neither of these people is Rando Q Dipshit, it’s you

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

These days I have no idea what people mean when they say “looks like a tv show”

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

In what way?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I think you have to be a little more specific, you just listed all the basic elements of filmmaking. What is it about those elements that looks like tv?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Lord Krangdar posted:

EDIT - ^ LOL

To me its most apparent with the Joss Whedon version of Justice League compared to the Zack Snyder cut. The former "looks like a TV show". Like look at the difference in the two versions of this scene:

Whedon's version just looks flat, because of the choice of camera angles, lenses, lighting, and color grading.

Of course, TV shows now often have great lighting and cinematography. But people mean the cheap CW soap opera look.

How does that apply to the Matrix: Resurrections trailer though

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Gatts posted:

Shang Chi is an example of something that is very heavily TV quality, very poor looking lighting, direction, aesthetic, etc. but I base this off the trailer. Even Star Trek Discovery looks better than that.

The Matrix Resurrections, however, I though was beautiful and sufficiently cinematic.

Bond: Skyfall however is cinema, beautiful visually and amazing.

So sounds like TV = things I don’t like; cinema = things I like

Still just really trying to understand this shorthand criticism and struggling

E: also lmao that the trailer looked like CSI or House, get outta here with that

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 11, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I think the idea of a new, bright, shiny brand of oppression and control presents some interesting narrative and thematic possibilities!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Maybe the machines are just dumb and don’t understand thermodynamics or energy production. Ever thought of that, huh?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Lmao, that rules and raises insane questions about how real physics works

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Zion is a perpetually-at-war state (appropriate for its name) so the currency is ostensibly labor put toward the war effort. It seems that the government of Zion provides for basic needs (housing, clothing, that slop they eat) in exchange for whatever skills you have to put toward fighting the machines.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Let Kojima make a Matrix game

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

codo27 posted:

Are you mad? He is the last one who should have anything to do with it. He's terrible, or his (recent) works are at least

Painfully incorrect, just like that godawful screed linked above

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This is the first time I’ve heard anyone complain about the romance in the Matrix. It isn’t the Notebook, the movie is better for using shorthand and getting to the point.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Noob Saibot posted:

Your analysis is correct. People are reading way too much into this stuff and there’s a ton of revisionist history going on. Yes there are some elements of the trans experience in The Matrix (Switch, the red pill, living two lives,etc) but at the end of the day it’s a film about questioning authority, systems of control, nonconformity, rebellion, and individualism.

There’s also those same cautionary tale elements from The Terminator and Jurassic Park about humans playing God, the dangers of AI, the advancements of robotics, humans are own worst enemies, etc.

It’s almost like there are multiple valid ways to read a movie

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Noob Saibot posted:

This thread is a bunch of gen z’ers who were born after the matrix trilogy that want to tell gen x and millianials what the matrix is “really all about”.

I like the one dude above me who got his whole argument shut down because he never heard of bound and is now using google and Wikipedia to try to justify his stance. Lol nice try

This is a fuckin weird post

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Ponytail hipster Smith would have been aces. Especially if he also wore open toed shoes and a puka shell necklace

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Could be that there’s a civil war within the machines and they’re both battling for control of Neo. The main machine faction repaired him and put him on blue pills as a “break glass in case of fire” type thing and the other faction finds out about him and tries to wake him up or some such. Not sure how the humans of Zion factor into it, maybe they’re a non issue since they were cowed back into submission by the terms of the detente at the end of Revolutions.

E: hell, maybe it’s the machines who are trying to convince Neo that they’re actually the good guy humans so he’ll fight for them against the actual humans. They do this by trying to recreate the conditions of the first movie.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 29, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

thatfuturekid posted:

Still can't believe a new Matrix movie is coming out in (now) less than a month!

Yeah it owns

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

They released Matrix Remastered and Neo has to play through the original matrix on NG+ with all the cool poo poo he unlocked the first time around

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

No yeah definitely the final boss of the Matrix should have been a giant junk monster. Or maybe even a Big Smith. Imagine Smith, but bigger. These are all good ideas keep em comin

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The problem with JA was that Redmayne was the only performance that was on the movie’s wavelength. Tatum was horribly cast and Kunis was just ok. The leads needed to be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

My one big knock on the movie is that it lacked any kind of distinctive visual flair or language. Other than that I think I liked it and can’t wait to see it again on HBO Max, a Warner Brothers product