Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Matinee posted:

Seems like only Lana’s writing/directing. (Have the wachowskis ever done a project independently of each other?)

The last season of Sense8 was just her, but she's bringing her cowriters of that back for Matrix 4 and both are acclaimed novelists too so I'm interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Reloaded is worth defending for the freeway chase alone.

Edit: I meant to post this in another thread but whatever, point still stands

Cacator fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 21, 2019

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Payndz posted:

'Best' example of hysterical UK censorship was when a tabloid panic over "ninja weapons" resulted in one of the Ninja Turtles movies being cut because it featured nunchucks being whirled. Except they weren't actually nunchucks, they were a string of sausages.

Weren't they also forced to rename them to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles because of mass ninja hysteria?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I brought a friend who had never seen Apocalypse Now before to a 40th anniversary screening and he was shocked when I told him the kid was Larry Fishburne.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Supposedly Jada Pinkett Smith is returning so who knows what the deal is with Morpheus. I have faith in the Wachowski and the Sense8 writing team that this will not be a simple retread.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Ghosthotel posted:

I sincerely believe that if something like Alien came out now in 2021 there’d be nerds talking about how the movie isn’t subtle about its themes and therefore it’s bad

When they announced the new Alien TV series you had right wingers up in arms about the corporation being the villain, lmao

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Mean Bean Machine posted:

there's a shot of a alice in wonderland book, and later there's a shot of a white rabbit tattoo in a trailer scored to jefferson airplane - white rabbit. which is apparently hella good

Oh man can you imagine if in the original Matrix someone told Neo to follow the white rabbit and then he sees a girl with a rabbit tattoo? Or if other characters made multiple references to Alice in Wonderland? People would be walking out of the theatre in droves!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Isometric Bacon posted:

If nothing else I'm happy to hear this is being made by one of the Wachowskis.

If this recent years trend of new sequels to old films have taught me anything, is that when the original creatives are involved (generally speaking) they're not as burdened to regurgitate the original as a beat for beat remake to satisfy expectations, and are able to try something new with it. I.e. Mad Max Fury Road vs something like Jurassic World or Star Wars.

Blade Runner 2049 being the only exception can think of.

Ridley Scott was a producer and Hampton Fancher wrote the screenplay to 2049 so there was original involvement there too.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Budget Dracula posted:

is there a way to watch the original without the super green tint?

Pick up the UHD boxset :)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I'm rewatching Sense8 in anticipation of the new movie and I think it might be a better primer than the Matrix sequels if you want to get into the current mindset of Lana Wachowski.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

jivjov posted:

New Morpheus and New Smith have got to 100% plot relevant and not just a recast for actor availability or whatever. Guaranteed.

From what I've read, they did ask Hugo Weaving to come back (scheduling conflicts) but did not ask Fishburne.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

codo27 posted:

I saw one movie in IMAX, Logan. Was not worth it.

I've seen many movies in IMAX and many of them were worth it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I rewatched the original trilogy, the Animatrix and the first season of Sense8 before seeing this and if anything Sense8 had the biggest influence on Resurrection's production - a ton of actors show up, two of the writers, the cinematographer, the score composer, and the overall optimism and themes of interconnectedness. I couldn't find out easily if they used the same action choreographer too but I'm assuming they did - maybe they couldn't bring back Yuen Woo-Ping because of covid?

On the whole this felt so more influenced by Sense8 in style than the original trilogy. Which I don't mind because much like Resurrections, Sense8 is a sloppy mess that also rules hard.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

precision posted:

And... it was very much "just ok". Saw it in a packed theater and almost nothing in the movie got the crowd going. No cheers, no gasps, barely even any laughs! When I saw Spiderman III-2 last week, the crowd reacted to a LOT of things, so that's interesting.

Is it though? It's easy to underestimate how many people obsessively follow every MCU related thing, there's a reason even dull bland poo poo like Eternals still prints money. My crowd reacted to a lot of the meta references and comedy (eg. Keanu saying "...gently caress") but normally I don't get cheers or gasps in the vast majority of my theatergoing experiences.

Edit: Merv popping up got a good reaction too

Cacator fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 23, 2021