Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I read that My GM got gutted. True?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

holocaust bloopers posted:

I read that My GM got gutted. True?

It got significantly reworked because it had been fairly similar for a number of years. It exists as a place for us to try poo poo out while MyLeague is there for a standard franchise experience

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 7, 2019

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Glumslinger who do I have to bribe to let me play the All decade teams and WNBA in the team up with friends mode, I have a blank check signed and ready to go.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Do we still have to watch a ton of loading screens?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Glumslinger who do I have to bribe to let me play the All decade teams and WNBA in the team up with friends mode, I have a blank check signed and ready to go.

Also let LeBron call plays on the 15 Cavs

More players across the board should be able to at least call for a quick iso

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Yeah you could player lock in myleague. Create a player you’d want to play as, add it to a roster, use that custom roster when starting the game mode

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Noticed the PC version of NBA 2K20 uses .exe for NBA2K19 :lol:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I’m not sure if it was like this in 2k19, but in 20 the knicks play I’m the Knicks Arena. It’s clearly MSG, but I guess it’s cheaper to get the visual rights than the rights to write or say the name.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

zelah posted:

I’m not sure if it was like this in 2k19, but in 20 the knicks play I’m the Knicks Arena. It’s clearly MSG, but I guess it’s cheaper to get the visual rights than the rights to write or say the name.

EA has the exclusive rights to the name

It's weird

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

EA being dumb about a sports thing they have rights too? Wild

E: on your second endorsement negotiation with a company you can ask for 10k VC, 0 incentives (they seem broken now anyway) and 0% discount. Seems to work

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was thinking of picking this up but the internet seems extremely mad about it. Is it actually poo poo or just launch server bullshit?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

It’s 90% people who will never be happy with anything, 10% servers.

There are definitely kinks to be worked out, but my advice would be “don’t spend money on VC yet” instead of “don’t play this game”.

If you only care about playing Park it wouldn’t hurt to give it another week or few until servers calm down and people lab out the best stuff, but if you’re into myteam/league/gm/career, I’ve heard few complaints.

Speaking of MyTeam, the new evolution cards seem great if you don’t want to feel like you need to spend money on cards. Focus on running the game though them for a little bit (2-3 games for most of the initial domination rewards at least) and they’ll get much better stats and usually a mess of gold badges to go along with it.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The evolution cards are neat except for the loving dwade you need a dunk to level up that has 50 driving dunk which means you do not dunk. I got a put back dunk with him and then the game didn't save my progress so, that's really cool and fun. I'm having fun and am not at all tilted.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

My one weird trick Wade hates this is alley oops. I just kept running them for him and on the 3rd or 4th he actually dunked it.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I can't shoot :(

I can never ever green any release, doesn't matter how open or with any player. I generally get the meter .00001 from the full bar but its always either late or early.

The trick is to let go of the button/stick right when your player releases the ball? Or am I misinformed even after 20 years of this poo poo.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

The Duggler posted:

I can never ever green any release, doesn't matter how open or with any player. I generally get the meter .00001 from the full bar but its always either late or early.

The trick is to let go of the button/stick right when your player releases the ball? Or am I misinformed even after 20 years of this poo poo.

I think it's top of the jump but I'm dumb..

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I miss nba 2K7

my brain is too smooth for all these different modes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Duggler posted:

Just watched a video this morning of a guy explaining how he practices his shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4909Ayzpaig&t=127s

Apparently a key is to at least try getting your shot timing down so you consistently get "Slightly Early/Late". At that point, you should be shooting your guy's natural percentage. So, aim for that to start.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 9, 2019

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

A guy, my dude that's Da Czar #simnation!!

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW4AQ3P53b4

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Any news on builds? I can never figure out how to jump shots so I usually play a big center who rebounds and finishes around the hoop

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

The only build complaints I can think of is that small forwards don’t seem to really excel at anything. You could get the demo, it had a build creator built in that lets you test it out in a game. It’s limited to 6 (completed) builds (you can mess around with height/weight/pie charts to see stat caps without finalizing a build) 1 game per build.

There’s also a scrimmage option in the demo where you can just play around as the raptors vs the warriors

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Finally able to play a game... so I see the general slower play especially for shooting was not exaggerated.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Social media messages from the opening NBA game in myCareer where you bench warm the whole match.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea I stopped reading those 2 years ago. They add nothing at all but I guess some kind of immersion for... someone maybe?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Weird. I’ve gotten exactly 1 text in MyCareer after probably 30 games. Agent telling me I can go pick out a free pair of shoes. That was like 4 games in, nothing since.

Be sure you’re getting your 10k endorsements though. Just drop discount % and maybe incentives too and they’ll agree to it.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
One of my teammates missed a shot and the rebound landed on the foot of a Hornet and was called a kicking violation.

If a player gets injured in myCareer, will they eventually recover their original stats when they come back?

Only 5 games into the season and Paul George is out of 1-2 weeks (-4 ovr) and Louis Williams is out for 4-6 weeks (-1 ovr).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Largepotato posted:

One of my teammates missed a shot and the rebound landed on the foot of a Hornet and was called a kicking violation.

If a player gets injured in myCareer, will they eventually recover their original stats when they come back?

Only 5 games into the season and Paul George is out of 1-2 weeks (-4 ovr) and Louis Williams is out for 4-6 weeks (-1 ovr).

That's a valid call, inadvertently kicking or hitting a ball with your foot is called a whistle.

Yes once they are healthy they go back to their full stats

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So I don't know much about basketball strategy. I got killed in the paint over a few games. What defensive settings will help?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kibner posted:

Just watched a video this morning of a guy explaining how he practices his shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4909Ayzpaig&t=127s

Apparently a key is to at least try getting your shot timing down so you consistently get "Slightly Early/Late". At that point, you should be shooting your guy's natural percentage. So, aim for that to start.

Shooting is a lot harder than last year, but badges make a huge difference. Last year, at least, you could only ever green shots if your release was before the bar filled up, never on late shots. That may have changed. Also last year, if your shot attribute was 86 or higher - depending on the jump shot base you used - you had a window where you would always green the shot. That's gone, and now if you hit the perfect release window there's a percentage of a chance the shot will green. Finally, they've made it so timing is more important the further away from the basket you are. Not sure why it wasn't always like this, it led to this situation last year where 2 point shots were harder to make than 3 point shots which is insane. Thankfully that's gone and the midrange game is back.

Only way to increase shots speeds is with the Quick Draw badge which is probably priority #1 for any shooting build, silver is fine, I prefer gold, and people with a good trigger finger can probably manage hall of fame.

Until an update a few days ago, pull up jumpers were far easier to hit than catch and shoot shots, but I think that's changed. Also one other mechanic that may or may not get covered in that video is if you turn off your shot meter you get a bonus to greening shots. It can actually be really useful because a good jump shot has a very snappy release animation to indicate where you're supposed to release the button and looking at the animation rather than the shot meter can be helpful. I'd suggest using the button instead of the stick as much as you can because it takes less time to press and release the button than it does to move the stick.

The problem with shooting is that shot feedback hasn't really evolved with shot mechanics. There should be feedback where you hit the perfect timing window but the shot doesn't green so you at least know your timing is right, especially with latency. The game really needs to borrow some ideas from fighting games, like being able to practice with some kind of delay on your inputs, as well as a mode that lets you practice moves with your player against an AI opponent.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 15, 2019

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Lol ok no but seriously how the gently caress do you get Wade to dunk. Him being this layup heavy has to be a mistake

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

It’s kinda wonky cause you need to make him dunk once and then his dunk rating. The next upgrade requires you to get 15ish steals in order to get his steal rating up.

I ended up getting him to catch an alley oop in triple team offline.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

the_american_dream posted:

Lol ok no but seriously how the gently caress do you get Wade to dunk. Him being this layup heavy has to be a mistake

Wait until you have to get him 10 rebounds in a game against pink diamond Duncan and Galaxy opal LeBron. :v:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Is that from the spotlight challenges? I wanted to try those but the first one that needs Brian whoever is a 8,000 MT roadblock, based on the last time I checked the auction house for it

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yep then you need to purchase spotlight Shaq 2500ish Haslem 8k and Jason Williams. And that’s just through I think 8 so far. Last challenge I saw asked you to get 50 from evo wade and mine is at 82 after finally getting a dunk. I’m in the mood for that stress to try it yet

That’s a complaint post but I’m actually liking myteam a lot this year, challenges are my poo poo even as frustrating as they can be

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments/d5hd36/new_way_to_beat_zone_defense/

White men CAN jump.

e:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments/d5i0xa/my_jumpshot_is_the_greatest/

e2:
catch and shoot
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments/d523s0/i_prayed_to_jesus_shuttlesworth_for_a_ball_since/

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 17, 2019

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Just had the cut-scene for my first game as a starter.

I noticed that the players with me before the photo were different after it.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

If you play MyTeam and have a few thousand MT to spare, look for Sprewell on the auction house. I got him for around 4k and he evolves to Diamond

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
poo poo good tip. Hopefully

zelah posted:

If you play MyTeam and have a few thousand MT to spare, look for Sprewell on the auction house. I got him for around 4k and he evolves to Diamond

poo poo. Thanks for the tip

Wade Spotlight: getting 50 wasn’t that hard. They stick Korver on you and he doesn’t sub out , they don’t switch defenders, and wade is quick enough to get to the basket before the double team.

As for getting 40 with Garnett with Duncan guarding you on a team of All NBA first teamers.. good luck with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Couldn't you just abuse post fade like all other 2k games to do that?