Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

BiggerBoat posted:

I checked out his stat line yesterday which, while admittedly is a really small sample size, it's just bananas how good it is. This dude seems to be able to to do every loving thing you want a power forward to do, and then some.

Just look at this poo poo

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willizi01.html

59% from the field, 46% from three, crashing the glass, mixing in a block and a steal. TO/AST ratio is flat and free throws need work but that should improve over time and he's not a point guard either so the assists don't bother me. I haven't seen him play yet but am really excited to check him out and don't blame the NBA or 2K for wanting to showcase him.

That's a hell of a first 19 games in the league on a below average team. Holy poo poo.

I've watched a few of his games (including the one where he explodes from 3 - his 2nd?). He really is bananas.

Kind of invisible for short spells so you forget you are tuned in just for him and then kaboom he comes out of nowhere to end people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Yyyyikes

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/2/21311251/nba-2k21-price-ps5-xbox-series-x-cover-athletes-special-editions

quote:

On Sept. 4, players can pick up NBA 2K21 on Google Stadia, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One for the typical $59.99 price. Later in the year, a new version of NBA 2K21 will be released on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X as a launch title. But 2K Sports won’t offer a free next-gen upgrade, like many other publishers of cross-generation games. Instead, the company will sell the next-gen version separately for $69.99, $10 more than the standard video game price that has been in effect for the past 15 years over two full console generations.

Guess I’m not getting current gen. Sorry Dame

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The rumor is all next gen games are going up 10 bux

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Hopefully they calm the microtransaction scheme down (they won’t).

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

The rumor is all next gen games are going up 10 bux

it's honestly kind of insane that games have cost $50-60 since like the late 1980s or whenever to be honest, I guess the massive spike in demand has made them able to not raise the prices with inflation

and I mean nowadays you really don't have to pay full price for things very often anyway

just wait a year or two and get it for $15, whatever it is

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

2k is so dogshit jesus

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

it's honestly kind of insane that games have cost $50-60 since like the late 1980s or whenever to be honest, I guess the massive spike in demand has made them able to not raise the prices with inflation

and I mean nowadays you really don't have to pay full price for things very often anyway

i wish i still had my old gamer mags so i could show you AAA studio SNES hits available for the low, affordable price of 89.99

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The PC version of 2k21 will be based on current gen. Have to wait til at least 2k22 for next gen on PC.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Stefan Prodan posted:

This edict holds true for all consumer electronics.

At least in my experience.

I always lag a generation behind the new shiny poo poo and never felt like I was missing anything.

I use first generation adapters as beta testers.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Aye Doc posted:

i wish i still had my old gamer mags so i could show you AAA studio SNES hits available for the low, affordable price of 89.99

I actually do have mine

I was at my parents house a month ago and was looking at funcoland ads in the back of a game pro and yeah they were nuts

Also neo geo games for 250 each

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Games went from $60 to $80 in Canada 5 years ago. It sucks.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

I actually do have mine

I was at my parents house a month ago and was looking at funcoland ads in the back of a game pro and yeah they were nuts

Also neo geo games for 250 each

RIP to funcoland, the best place on earth

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

They’re back, in pop form

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ_xhWQBjyM

KAT and I did this double putback.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
My greatest achievement in NBA2K20

First in the bench press at the Draft Combine.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Largepotato posted:

now that's a feat. I don't think I've ever gotten more than 7 in a single round

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Largepotato posted:

lol I haven't played the game, are they minigames or what

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Stefan Prodan posted:

lol I haven't played the game, are they minigames or what

Yeah, there's a bar you have to balance with both sticks while your player lifts it. It's similar to Tony Hawk's while balancing a grind.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Started mycareer with Phoenix and my first play time in the NBA was being subbed into the fourth quarter of this dumpster fire.

We lost that game for some reason.

Next game against the Clippers and Devon Booker had a fine shooting night.

He was 1-18 before I was subbed out.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

LeBron and I have deep text conversations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Grabbed the free PS4 version and they’ve somehow managed to ruin even the GM mode? I have to spend “action points” to do everything? I just want to get the Hornets like 20 first-rounders, man

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Just do myleague.

It sucks you lose out on whatever funny dumb story poo poo they write.

But myleague is untouched by that bullshit.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

This is the reward for 3.5m fans in mycareer.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This might be the worst iteration of 2k ever made. You have to hit A 30 times just to get through the opening cut scenes on every single game in myplayer. Your teammates are dumber than ever before passing up wide open shots and playing literally zero defense. It wouldn't be so bad but they completely ruined the opponent AI by making them almost impossible to stop due to how stupid your teammates are and how amazing the opponent is. The CPU just doesn't miss shots. You can have 3 people on them all jumping at the right time, the shot will go in and one of your idiot teammates will make it an And-1.

It wouldn't be so bad but the presentation is just awful. Why they thought this game requires 8 cut scenes before a match and 20 cut scenes before you can do anything in MyPlayer is beyond me. There's nothing like having the CPU can some bullshit 40 foot 3 pointer right before the half only to have to sit through the you, your teammates, the TNT crew, random rear end reporters on the side line, and a CPU halftime show before you can get back into the game. That's not even counting the times you get subbed in only to watch the CPU go through an entire free throw ritual of the ref pointing at 3 people before giving the ball to the CPU to shoot it. Then you get subbed out and still have to watch the seconds before the end of the half and the end of the game. Good thing they made your MyPlayer character beyond poo poo and the coach angry as all hell at you for no reason so you get to sit a lot and watch the CPU play.

I feel like I was ripped off and this only cost me 8 dollars.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I’m hoping the next gen will be better since games will load instantly but I don’t feel optimistic

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

This might be the worst iteration of 2k ever made. You have to hit A 30 times just to get through the opening cut scenes on every single game in myplayer. Your teammates are dumber than ever before passing up wide open shots and playing literally zero defense. It wouldn't be so bad but they completely ruined the opponent AI by making them almost impossible to stop due to how stupid your teammates are and how amazing the opponent is. The CPU just doesn't miss shots. You can have 3 people on them all jumping at the right time, the shot will go in and one of your idiot teammates will make it an And-1.

It wouldn't be so bad but the presentation is just awful. Why they thought this game requires 8 cut scenes before a match and 20 cut scenes before you can do anything in MyPlayer is beyond me. There's nothing like having the CPU can some bullshit 40 foot 3 pointer right before the half only to have to sit through the you, your teammates, the TNT crew, random rear end reporters on the side line, and a CPU halftime show before you can get back into the game. That's not even counting the times you get subbed in only to watch the CPU go through an entire free throw ritual of the ref pointing at 3 people before giving the ball to the CPU to shoot it. Then you get subbed out and still have to watch the seconds before the end of the half and the end of the game. Good thing they made your MyPlayer character beyond poo poo and the coach angry as all hell at you for no reason so you get to sit a lot and watch the CPU play.

I feel like I was ripped off and this only cost me 8 dollars.

yeah I feel the same and I got it for free lol

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Request a trade to the Bucks.

Giannis is cheat mode even when he's on your team.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bring back 2k10 my career where you start in the D League lol.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

there are 3 things that have to change to myplayer before i get really into it again:

1. allow league expansion so i can lead vancouver to a ring
2. allow users to "refresh" the rosters/player stats as they change irl through the season and stop putting fake players like Murray on teams
3. faster cutscene skips that work on every cutscene

i don't think any of these would break any of the competitive systems in any way, but who knows. also i left off the obvious ones like "speed up the VC/badge grind" bc i understand that 2k will never stop scamming until laws are introduced

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Katana_Warrior posted:

there are 3 things that have to change to myplayer before i get really into it again:

1. allow league expansion so i can lead vancouver to a ring
2. allow users to "refresh" the rosters/player stats as they change irl through the season and stop putting fake players like Murray on teams
3. faster cutscene skips that work on every cutscene

i don't think any of these would break any of the competitive systems in any way, but who knows. also i left off the obvious ones like "speed up the VC/badge grind" bc i understand that 2k will never stop scamming until laws are introduced

I'd really like it if you could also course in advance what to skip and it didn't even bother loading those things. E.g. cutscenes, half time break, sitting on the bench between minutes, etc.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Quizzlefish posted:

I'd really like it if you could also course in advance what to skip and it didn't even bother loading those things. E.g. cutscenes, half time break, sitting on the bench between minutes, etc.

That'd be awesome. There's been a handful of times where I've made stupid call for passes at the start of a quarter/when I checked into the game because I was mashing X to get through the cutscene for a bit too long

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The best is when the camera doesn't bother to actually change to the in game cam so you get a 5 second violation without any indication the ball is actually in play

Also Andre Drummond has never gotten less than 23 rebounds in any game I've seen him in and it's kind of ridiculous

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i finally tried this game since it's free now; it sucks.

but actually i just can't get the shot timing down

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

The Duggler posted:

The best is when the camera doesn't bother to actually change to the in game cam so you get a 5 second violation without any indication the ball is actually in play

Also Andre Drummond has never gotten less than 23 rebounds in any game I've seen him in and it's kind of ridiculous

Ah new Joakim Noah

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

My player left the Gatorade hat on for the player introductions.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Melo is open in the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyAqET-sjbE

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I hope 2k20 has a bubble story

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Need to up my game and learn some new moves but this game continues to deliver.

One thing I really like about it (that I may have already mentioned) is how good a job it does with making all the players really feel different and really capture their style(s). Big scorers, playmakers, board crashers, defensive stoppers, 3 point assassins all control differently and in a very realistic way. Like, Shaq really feels like Shaq. Magic and Bird play like they really did. Guys like Iverson, Bird, Jordan, Karl Malone and Steph Curry who really fill it up still all play differently and get their buckets/25 ppg in different ways. It makes choosing defensive match ups and strategies a lot more fun to mess around with.

Speaking only to the 2k16 version but they do really good work making every player feel and play different.

A lot of sports games fail to manage this (looking at you, Madden) and the last time I really felt that sort of difference in styles was in the Fight Night games.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The Steam version of NBA2k20 is 92% off atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There's some new info about 2k21 here.

Funny that Dame Lillard got them to add 6'8" PGs back in the game, which in the past has been horrible for balance but hopefully that wont be the case this year. Not sure what the point is of adding an extra minigame to layup/shots when passing and block physics need a serious look at, but I'm sure MyTEAM is going to be even more of a monetized hellhole this year!

I hate right-stick shooting, but it's back. More shot types might be great for shot creators, since a lot of their shot animations this year (and years past) are poo poo. When it comes to online play, they also really need to either start stealing from fighting games or just hire some developers with that background because the game desperately needs a practice arena where you can adjust the input delay, practice running plays with people on your team and just get more information about animations. But I'm approaching this from a Park/Pro-Am player perspective, so it's probably not on their radar.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 22, 2020