Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Dicey Dungeons (Steam, itch.io) is a brand new roguelike by Terry Cavanaugh, of Super Hexagon and VVVVVV fame. Defeat monsters by rolling dice and assigning their point totals to equipment items with various effects!

Similarly to Slay the Spire, the game is built around an rng mechanic, but most of the challenge of mastering the game comes from learning how to stack your equipment to guarantee consistent results even from bad rolls. Unlike Slay the Spire, each of the game's six characters have a series of "episodes" with special rules or equipment loadouts that drastically alter the way the game is played. There's no ascension mode to speak of, but with more than thirty episodes to play through, there's plenty to keep one occupied.

Characters

Each character has a skill that determines how they play, as well as a limit break that charges as you take damage and can provide extra power in a pinch.

The Warrior- Big fan of fighting. Kinda dumb. Signed on to win a monster truck.
The warrior's skill allows him to reroll three dice in a single turn, making him probably the smoothest character to play. He serves as the tutorial character, although that doesn't mean his challenge episodes hold back.
His limit break doubles the effect of his next attack, which allows for not only big damage but also doubled status effects, to keep enemies locked down.

The Thief- Big fan of money. Sleazy. Signed on to win a zillion dollars.
The thief's skill steals a random equipment from the enemy every battle. Making good use of this requires a flexible loadout!
His limit break grants four extra ones in a single turn, which with the right roll-modifying equipment can allow for extremely severe combos.

The Robot- Just happy to be here.
The robot is where poo poo really starts to get complicated. Their skill prevents them from rolling dice at the start of the turn; instead, dice are rolled one by one with a value cap similar to blackjack. Hit the maximum limit exactly and be rewarded with a jackpot and additional effects, or go over the limit and fry their circuits, preventing them from using anymore equipment in that turn.
The robot's limit break allows them to auto-roll a jackpot, guaranteeing a maximally efficient turn.

The Inventor- Big fan of learning things. Curious. Signed on to learn all the secrets of the universe.
The inventor's skill grants her a gadget in every combat that can be used for free in addition to her equipment loadout. She gets bored of her gadget after each fight, though, and disassembles an equipment item after each combat to create a new gadget with a new effect. As a result, she constantly churns her equipment throughout runs, requiring a flexible approach to equipment loadouts to account for items being lost every round.
The inventor's limit break converts all rolled dice to sixes, encouraging the use of equipment that benefits from higher rolls.

The Witch- Big fan of social media. Vain. Signed on to win a million followers.
The witch's skill is a spellbook, which allows her to expend dice to create spells. She does not receive equipment and has to refill her spellbook in each combat, which makes her the most difficult character to play by a decent margin.
The witch's limit break rolls three additional dice, which allows her to create or cast more spells in a single turn.

There's also a hidden character, but I haven't unlocked them yet.

Give this game a shot! As a fan of Slay the Spire, I've been having a blast with it. Also, the soundtrack absolutely kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
okay time to come clean i do want more people to see and try this game but i mostly put all this effort into the op so i would have a place to beg for help. how do i witch good

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

This game is good but some of the challenges are stupid. 50% your gear fails! Great... super fun.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

This game is good but some of the challenges are stupid. 50% your gear fails! Great... super fun.

that's the first Warrior challenge, right? The curse effect sucks, but keep in mind that it only activates once a turn, so you can use equipment with minor benefits first to try to bait out the curse failure.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Warrior 2 isn't very hard. All the stuff you find is upgraded, and stuff like Bump can be used to bait out the Curse, then go ham with Battle Axes and Crystal Swords.

Good game (beat the true final boss a few says ago), but could use a few rounds of bug fixing. Especially in the episode 6 stuff (some modifiers don't work right).

Oh, and this game has modding! There's a GUI coming When It Is Done (TM), but for now I hope you like spreadsheets!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The final character is a traditional 'deck builder'

Won't go into it anymore since spoilers. It's really nice how for the most part, the characters have their own gimmick that's completely different from others. Being able to turn into a bear as the rogue is fantastic.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Roluth posted:

Warrior 2 isn't very hard. All the stuff you find is upgraded, and stuff like Bump can be used to bait out the Curse, then go ham with Battle Axes and Crystal Swords.

Good game (beat the true final boss a few says ago), but could use a few rounds of bug fixing. Especially in the episode 6 stuff (some modifiers don't work right).

Oh, and this game has modding! There's a GUI coming When It Is Done (TM), but for now I hope you like spreadsheets!

Unfun does not necessarily mean difficult.

Venuz Patrol posted:

that's the first Warrior challenge, right? The curse effect sucks, but keep in mind that it only activates once a turn, so you can use equipment with minor benefits first to try to bait out the curse failure.

Besides it was Robot 3 I was thinking of.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Venuz Patrol posted:

okay time to come clean i do want more people to see and try this game but i mostly put all this effort into the op so i would have a place to beg for help. how do i witch good

What's funny is that I was going to make this thread (although I was going to call it "Literal RNG Hell") for the same reason. Witch is hard. Here's my only advice: burned dice do 2 damage when you throw them! That's it, that's all I've got. I think playing a good Witch would require you to really think about which spells to assign to which numbers so that you can somewhat more reliably get to the things you need when you need them. For example, the +1 dice spell is really great but in my first run I assigned it to 6, which the spell itself requires.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

The best thing I can say about Witch is to try to have a plan to last long enough to get your stuff online. Lots of Freeze is one way to do it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Robot 3 and Thief 3 seem to be the two most divisive episodes; some people hate them utterly, other people love them.

I do think they're the two most skill-dependent and least RNG of the first three characters' episodes, even though Robot 3 initially looks like the opposite.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Finding some of these challenges tough, though I usually notice after I've messed up, and prioritising equipment according to roll variety is important.

Was amazed that it's been completed already, looking forward to taking on the final boss.

For anyone curious how to unlock the secret character:

[spoiler]Complete Thief 2[/spoiler}

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Desdinova posted:

Finding some of these challenges tough, though I usually notice after I've messed up, and prioritising equipment according to roll variety is important.

Was amazed that it's been completed already, looking forward to taking on the final boss.

For anyone curious how to unlock the secret character:

Complete Thief 2

Actually:

You'll run into Jester every so often and fight him. Beating him makes him appear the next floor down in a future run. Beat him as a boss, and you get the character.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Roluth posted:

The best thing I can say about Witch is to try to have a plan to last long enough to get your stuff online. Lots of Freeze is one way to do it.

Yeah, Witch is a class where you can afford to be more defensive because she ramps with spells online/Hall of Mirrors. But putting all your sixes into Hall of Mirrors every fight regardless of how long it is will get you killed unless you’re healing with all those dice. It’s also good not to be too finicky about “wasting actions” overwriting spell slots because frequently you want to reuse your upgraded spell slot, or switch from Hall of Mirrors to attack mode. It’s helpful to remember that larger numbers are better for most of your spell effects so you want your core spells on 1/2/3 if possible. I’ve only cleared Witch once though so what do I know.

Pokeytax fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 21, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The secret character is fun as heck and not too hard once you stack up a few Duplicate+ cards. The first challenge (Warrior Jester!) is also totally different and fun, if a bit on the easy side. But holy moly, gently caress Losers, Weepers! Yes, let's remove your deck cycling skill and give you random lovely cards every battle, ugh.

E: I just fought a wizard and got 6 point-specific cards added to my deck. Do not fight a wizard :cripes:

E2: Okay, well Hall of Mirrors is nice

EEE: I guess that was the magic run. Hall of Mirrors was clutch, and it gets easier once you get a few levels so you actually have extra dice, bumps/duplicates/cauldrons to spawn a few more and reroll them, and the breathing room to clean up the deck! :toot:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 22, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My favorite character is still Witch. You can get up to some really hilarious bullshit with Hall of Mirrors.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
In addition to the final typical unlock class (jester), there's also a double-secret semi-joke class: the bear, who is "unlocked" (for one run only) by fighting an alchemist with a character capable of copying enemy equipment and using their bear potion.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i saw someone do some really rude poo poo running glass cauldron (freeze a die, roll a 1) and then having a spell that's really nasty to cast over and over on 1 so they could cast it over and over

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 22, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm super lovely at Robot. I feel like I don't ramp up to the kinds of damage output the other classes get to. What am I missing? How do I best optimize the few die rolls I get per average round?

edit: also, there are many funny jokes, but "Buster Sword" has got to be the funniest

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 22, 2019

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Just want to say that the Parallel Universe episodes are some of my favorites. They take the character and place them in an entirely different context. Most builds still work in some form, but the pieces are very different and the changed status effects really complete the package. Really cool idea.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm super lovely at Robot. I feel like I don't ramp up to the kinds of damage output the other classes get to. What am I missing? How do I best optimize the few die rolls I get per average round?
Generally speaking, Jackpots are the most reliable source of cheap/'free' damage you have (outside of Buster Sword+), especially in the early game, so lean into stuff that makes it easier to get them and rewards you for hitting them.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
I managed to beat Witch-1 after a friend told me that since Witch ramps up survivability tools like shields and healing are way more valuable for her. A shop near the end tended to stock (on that episode) three spells that each take two dice each and deal damage equal to the sum - those are great for dumping lots and lots of dice into once you have an engine to do that. (My final build looked like a shield, two of those attack spells, and then hall of mirrors, illuminate, and duplicate, if I recall.)

Another thing that took me a while to realize was "trusting that I can get deeper with the tools I have right now, and so not spending any money at a shop because I know a better shop is coming".

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. My best run was Thief-2 where from very early I had the wizard's ice spell which required a 1 and did 5 damage and 2 freeze, the hedgehog ability to turn a dice into ones, upgraded repeatable base attack and the defensive ability to block one damage from every attack. Barely took any damage, I either beat them quickly or the freezes would and defensive ability would tank most incoming damage.

As the which, I actually usually put Hall of Mirrors in the Six spot, and try to have a fixed spot for it as soon as possible. I rather not use sixes to put a spell into play. You don't usually need to use it more than twice I think.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just wanted to mention that this game has some real kicking tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKUAqS7mFrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHKaBM54IU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw_o1jixNh0

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What's the deal with Grand Finale? Even upgraded, its countdown is 12, and I can't figure out how I'd ever play everything else (yes, even with Snap) and still have 12 left over. I managed 6 once.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 22, 2019

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What's the deal with Grand Finale? Even upgraded, its countdown is 12, and I can't figure out how I'd ever play everything else (yes, even with Snap) and still have 12 left over. I managed 6 once.

You can upgrade it I believe, takes the cost down to 6. Also the count should stay down if you can get to it multiple times in one battle.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Truspeaker posted:

You can upgrade it I believe, takes the cost down to 6. Also the count should stay down if you can get to it multiple times in one battle.
Base is 20, upgrade is 12. And I didn't know it worked like any other thing with a countdown, that makes some sense. (I guess there's also the bit where Snapping a Boop+ returns free 6s, which I just realized are as good as possible to power it up.)

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Ah right, was thinking of a different finale, but yeah it does carry over

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Hi, thanks for making this thread. I want to say that I like the Inventor because I, also, frequently go all in on combos and end up with only "once per combat" damage dealing cards. I also love the writing. Everyone is so charming and so, so dumb.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Buster is strong against fire so he takes 1 damage instead of 2 if you throw a burning dice at him :allears:

edit: lmao as if the Sorceress wasn't already my favorite for her sassy idle animation she has amazingly awful dialogue too

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 22, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Base is 20, upgrade is 12. And I didn't know it worked like any other thing with a countdown, that makes some sense. (I guess there's also the bit where Snapping a Boop+ returns free 6s, which I just realized are as good as possible to power it up.)

I managed to get it pretty regularly once I picked up a couple Bumps (bumping a six splits off a new one die), Cauldrons for rerolling those die, and cloned my Duplicate+. If Boop+ gives you free 6s I'll have to stop ditching them!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stickman posted:

(bumping a six splits off a new one die),

:eyepop:

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Lockpicking a 1 does the same. Fantastic for low-roll builds.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I got the game last night and have only done warrior 1, but didn’t bother trying to bump a 6 (I figured it would rollover to 1, not spawn a 1).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jothan posted:

Lockpicking a 1 does the same. Fantastic for low-roll builds.

Wait until you get a Hacksaw.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Stickman posted:

I managed to get it pretty regularly once I picked up a couple Bumps (bumping a six splits off a new one die), Cauldrons for rerolling those die, and cloned my Duplicate+. If Boop+ gives you free 6s I'll have to stop ditching them!
Yeah, Snapping anything that gives you the die back generates a die to 'return' to you, and Boop+ gives you 6s for some reason, which is pretty sweet.

(It's funny that you say that, because I actively avoided all the Bumps and trashed the Duplicate they forced me to take on level up because I just wanted to go off with Boop+ every time, thinking STS style where a small deck is good.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How much replay variety does this game have? Does it get repetitive fast or does it feel fun and still a bit challenging to do multiple runs?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Internet Kraken posted:

How much replay variety does this game have? Does it get repetitive fast or does it feel fun and still a bit challenging to do multiple runs?

I am probably in the minority but I refunded this even though I enjoyed the first run through of each character because I didn't really feel the urge to go back in after running through a couple times. There's some scenarios that open up that sound like they add some new variations but I didn't get the feeling I do from Slay the Spire or Night of the Full Moon that each run would be that different from the last run outside of choosing one of the other characters. There's really no persistent upgrades or new cards you unlock (as far as I know) so it feels like once you get a good strat for that character you just keep doing that thing.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

That is indeed in the minority because the the further episodes tend to radically change how the characters work and what equipment you have to use. You can't coast on the same strategy for very long unless you keep repeating the same episodes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Metal Meltdown posted:

That is indeed in the minority because the the further episodes tend to radically change how the characters work and what equipment you have to use. You can't coast on the same strategy for very long unless you keep repeating the same episodes.

I respect that and fully admit I ducked out before trying any of the other episodes so I am not saying this will be everyone's experience, but I think personally I was looking for a longer game more akin to StS than the short(er) episodes with different conditions forcing you to use the same tools in different ways.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

It's hard to say how the game will feel after you complete all of the main content, but there is a lot of main content; I'm 25 hours in and I've only played around a quarter of the 36+1 modes, most of which play significantly differently.

There's definitely potential for the last mode for each character to be replayable, since it has the largest item pool and is based around random modifiers per floor, but I haven't done multiple runs of that yet so I can't speak from experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

explosivo posted:

I respect that and fully admit I ducked out before trying any of the other episodes so I am not saying this will be everyone's experience, but I think personally I was looking for a longer game more akin to StS than the short(er) episodes with different conditions forcing you to use the same tools in different ways.

While it doesn't have an unlock progression, it's not quite the "same tools in different ways". The fifth episode is in a parallel universe that changes all of the cards and status effects, and the sixth episode mixes in those new cards and adds a choice of randomized starting equipment plus some pretty severe randomized rule changes. Usually at least one of the second or third episodes introduces a mechanics change so large it's basically like playing a new character.

Also, no idea what happens when you beat all the episodes, but there's a 7th door now - at the rate I'm going it would probably take 40+ hours to get there.