Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Aww I was hoping for Baby Squid to be permanent after I unlocked Jester but now it's Lady Luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if you dont transform into a bear every combat you get the chance you're a coward

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

This game is amazing, but I can see why so many people are worried about the difficulty/length when they first pick it up. Then of course you try out parallel universes and realize that you've only been playing with half the cards and status effects :v:

Then again I also love love love the episode system and how it forces you to really become familiar with the game before trying out the "real" version.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Venuz Patrol posted:

if you dont transform into a bear every combat you get the chance you're a coward

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm getting my rear end handed to me by the "enemies have +10% HP and all upgraded cards" challenges. How do people survive, like, Sneezy?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm getting my rear end handed to me by the "enemies have +10% HP and all upgraded cards" challenges. How do people survive, like, Sneezy?

Luck, freeze, or restarting until you don't get Sneezy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Freeze demolishes Sneezy, yeah.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PMush Perfect posted:

Freeze demolishes Sneezy, yeah.
Yeah, if I could have one status ailment guaranteed to show up for me every run it'd be freeze. It trivializes so many things!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
shock is also good against sneezy since if you shock his "divide a dice into ones" card he can't do anything but you need a lot of it (at least 3) to have a decent shot of hitting it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Freeze is honestly pretty stupid and the alternative status effects in the Parallel Universe are a lot more fun to play with.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Also I may have just been having difficulty cause the Warrior fuckin sucks if you don't find another good attack early (or maybe I just suck in general)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've run into a bit of a wall

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Playing as the hidden character is my favorite simply because his constant weird giggling reminds me of the weird audio texture in beavis and butthead

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Seems about right. I feel like most of those round fours are easier than Witch, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Seems about right. I feel like most of those round fours are easier than Witch, though.

I haven't actually spent much time on those round fours since my main goal was to clear the bonus round with everyone to find out what that unlocks. I took that screenshot as soon as I beat the last of the others.

God i hate the witch

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Witch is like my second favorite class, after the last one. Maybe Thief is more fun? But they're close in my mind. She's no Robot or even Warrior or Inventor. Clearly we should trade saves.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Robot and Inventor are my favorites. I love the dice jackpot mechanic, and making new gadgets is exciting with how careful you have to think about your items.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I was stuck on "Inevitability of Rust" after a couple of unlucky attempts, and finally beat it by one-turning Buster:

You can reuse equipment up to the point they break. I'd previously pumped up a Duplicate to 7 durability with the Grindstone, paired it with a Two-Handed Sword, and popped in eight sixes (but not before duplicating the last two with the gadget from the Duplicate). Finished it off with a Plasma Blast from the THSword gadget and free 16 damage from a Keyblade+!

I still think the Inventor is my least favorite character. It's pretty luck dependent. Other characters can get screwed by the RNG, but when they do it's usually in the first two-levels - with the Inventor it's often in the last two after you've already invested 20 or so minutes into the run.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Regy Rusty posted:

Robot and Inventor are my favorites. I love the dice jackpot mechanic, and making new gadgets is exciting with how careful you have to think about your items.
Robot is so loving awful because it's RNG on top of RNG, and the Inventor just sometimes dies due to bad choices I don't even recall making eight fights ago. I'm glad people who aren't me like them though :shobon:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Robot is about a hundred times more fun once you realize upgraded Buster Sword is the best ability and just let yourself bust every turn

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Robot is about a hundred times more fun once you realize upgraded Buster Sword is the best ability and just let yourself bust every turn

Yeah, I love the Robot for exactly that. Throw in some Heat Sink abilities and it ramps up nicely in the lower floors. The first two floors are still a crapshoot, though (floor 1 frogs, I'm looking at you).

E: I just tried the Parallel Inventor, lost my only decent weapon to the "scrap this equipment or a random other equipment" mechanic. Nope, that's going on the "maybe later" pile.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Robot is so loving awful because it's RNG on top of RNG, and the Inventor just sometimes dies due to bad choices I don't even recall making eight fights ago. I'm glad people who aren't me like them though :shobon:

Robot is no more RNG than any of the others. You've got complete control over when you roll and when you use your dice. His best builds are the ones that focus on giving you huge control over getting jackpots, but he can work even without those cards.

Now this is of course aside from the one episode with the curse dice, that one sucks.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Countblanc posted:

yeah it gives you so much consistency every run im like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE&t=51s

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Some things I found helpful with my measly episodes 1 & 2 Witch victories:
-Immediately replace Cauldron with Inflict as your prepared spell
-Don't put even cost spells on even spellbook slots, the same for odds
-You can re-prepare spells once they've been cast if you have the dice
-Get rid of Nudge ASAP
-Grab the Ice spell
-Flaming Dice get thrown for 2 damage that ignores Dodge
-Spam Shield as much as possible

Episode 3 specifically: holy poo poo balls 3 starting prepared slots, 2 with hall of mirrors one with duplicate completely wiped the final boss.

Edit: hosed up episode #

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 24, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finally broke through the episode one wall so at least now I'll have options

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
General advice: be wary about strats that are based off powers that involve Even dice - you're suddenly very, very susceptible to being Frozen. It seems obvious but especially with the last character it's really easy to end a turn with 2-3 unused dice with some bad luck and that's basically a death sentence.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The witch's third episode is so much more fun than her first.

Now just gotta beat 2 (or 4 hahahaha) so I can get to the best episode.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Yeah, Thief 2 can be pretty fun. :kheldragar:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

So uh yeah I kinda love this game

:allears:

EDIT:

AND welp it turns out that the above plus fighting a Copycat crashes the game

RIP my hopes and dreams

Turns out that literally as I was typing up a bug report in the discord 2 other people had crashes during Copycat fights, but for totally different reasons.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 24, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just beat Witch's parallel universe in the funniest way.

There's a spell that does 4 damage when you use it, but also just does 3 automatically at the start of each turn. I had two of them up racking up damage without me even needing to do anything. It was near the end and both the boss and I were close to dead. She'd just burned my dice so all the stuff I used was gonna be disabled but I had to get as much damage as possible and pray I wouldn't get killed.

Fortunately she rolled low and I barely survived. Just as I was about to plan my final turn though, she just died. Turns out even "unavailable" equipment still uses its passive effects so they killed her on their own. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Turns out the "everyone becomes a bear after 4 rounds" modifier is really good to take if the final boss is Scathach.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Jedit posted:

Turns out the "everyone becomes a bear after 4 rounds" modifier is really good to take if the final boss is Scathach.

I am so jealous you got there

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BaconCopter posted:

I am so jealous you got there

I thought Bonus Round was much easier than Elimination Round. I probably would have beaten Scathach anyway as I had a decent Shield/Slam build, but when she was only able to do at most 8 damage a turn it became trivial.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I've started beating some episodes (ok, 2) with the Witch once I took heed of some advice people mentioned here, namely to 1) play it safe and really use those +Shield & +HP spells (especially Shield seems super useful since with an upgraded slot and some Freeze enemies can't keep up & you can plop otherwise useless one-rolls in it), and to 2) have your most important spells (or possibly just the dice-adjustment spells?) in slots 1-3. I've played a couple times now with Hall of Mirrors in the prepared slot and it has seemed nice.

I kinda don't agree with putting Inflict on the prepared slot right from the start? I dunno, using Cauldron I might get more ones/twos to do a little extra rotation and it feels like I generally do get an Inflict on the first round anyway due to that.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Jedit posted:

I thought Bonus Round was much easier than Elimination Round. I probably would have beaten Scathach anyway as I had a decent Shield/Slam build, but when she was only able to do at most 8 damage a turn it became trivial.

My game hard crashed (detailed above) when I got that bear morph level affix :(

I've had 2 different situations of the game crashing tonight, one was avoidable on reload.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What does the Warrior card do? It says "0 damage, +1 per bop", is that one per Bop in your deck or Bop played this turn or what? I keep not taking it cause they keep offering me Witch or Inventor :shobon:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Today I had 3 back to back promising runs of the Witch's bonus round get stomped by Loud Bird

I have joined the dice in hell

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What does the Warrior card do? It says "0 damage, +1 per bop", is that one per Bop in your deck or Bop played this turn or what? I keep not taking it cause they keep offering me Witch or Inventor :shobon:

Per played this battle, I believe.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ultima Weapon is better than buster sword, none of you are robot professionals like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Ultima Weapon is better than buster sword, none of you are robot professionals like me.

That's how I do too

The parallel universe version of the buster sword is pretty great though.