Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Regy Rusty posted:

Today I had 3 back to back promising runs of the Witch's bonus round get stomped by Loud Bird

I have joined the dice in hell

loud bird is the worst on witch runs. the vanilla version doesn't do that much damage though so you can spam magic shield and he probably can't hurt you.

the plus version is super dangerous tho and you really want to go in with a ready limit break if possible. the witch limit break is really strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

Ultima Weapon is better than buster sword, none of you are robot professionals like me.

Wouldn't you have to tank hits to drive autorolls to make it worthwhile? What do you use for heal or armor? I don't remember seeing much in the way of good options.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stickman posted:

Wouldn't you have to tank hits to drive autorolls to make it worthwhile? What do you use for heal or armor? I don't remember seeing much in the way of good options.

Nah you don't need to rely on autoroll. An ultima weapon build relies on getting a jackpot almost every turn. You've got the one equipment that raises the jackpot range, and you have the two that either increment the counter or cut it in half. All that plus the one that lets you use extra jackpot powers, and maybe mechanical arm to do big damage if you do a lot of rolls. All that adds up to huge damage every time you hit the jackpot so the occasional turn you miss it doesn't hurt too much.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
spoilers for one of the characters
:nws:https://i.imgur.com/KkdkMO6.png:nws:

:toot:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

power word- Jeb! posted:

spoilers for one of the characters
:nws:https://i.imgur.com/KkdkMO6.png:nws:

:toot:
Grats!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Double-posting to ask, does anyone have tips for Thief 3? I can't even get to the third floor.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Double-posting to ask, does anyone have tips for Thief 3? I can't even get to the third floor.

The early game is really tough, unless you take the time to actually do the math for how much damage you'll do if you reset the dice early. Since you have so few items at first just add up everything and move to the next uptick if that will let you do more damage faster. Once you get more equipment your strategy will have to adapt to what numbers will let you do the most and it'll become all about cycling through upticks quickly. That also makes equipment that increases or decreases your dice values by 1 very important since it lets you do more while on less optimal upticks.

On my winning run I ended up with multiple cards that wanted a 6 so getting back there became priority, and I would essentially spend 1 turn going from 1-4, one turn on 5 using bump, and then the turn on 6 doing huge damage. The specifics will vary a lot depending on what equipment you find obviously, but basically you need to abuse the fact that you always know exactly what dice you will have and thus can think ahead to future turns. It's a lot more math and forward thinking than the rest of the game.

E: OH and this is super important - using Lockpick on a 1 duplicates the dice. Abuse the poo poo out of that every 1 turn.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 25, 2019

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i always go ultima sword on robot because in my experience it’s best to synergize with your limit break, and with cantrips it’s easy to get 6s for those sw8 16 damage hits

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Loud Bird is definitely the one enemy that has stuck in mind as being a huge issue for several builds. Witch, Inventor and Jester can all end up pretty much stalemating against Loud Bird due to the Silence/Dodge/Weaken combo. It rolls doubles so often!!

Somehow Kraken has also been a huge issue for me but this might've been just earlygame "I don't know what I'm doing" -attitude.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The one blessing about kraken is that it takes many turns before it starts really doing damage so hopefully you can kill it before then.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I almost won Jester 6, except I couldn't rush Beatrice down fast enough and she turned into a bear and murdered me.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

The one blessing about kraken is that it takes many turns before it starts really doing damage so hopefully you can kill it before then.

kraken is particularly vulnerable to freeze, too, as if that wasn't good enough already

my biggest worry in any run is usually snowman, who can do insane damage and freeze every turn if the rolls are lucky

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

PMush Perfect posted:

I almost won Jester 6, except I couldn't rush Beatrice down fast enough and she turned into a bear and murdered me.

i had this issue on inventor 6 vs drake. it turns out bear drake is still a vampire. i rolled kraken earlier that run so i really had no idea when to stake him so i lost

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Hempuli posted:

Loud Bird is definitely the one enemy that has stuck in mind as being a huge issue for several builds. Witch, Inventor and Jester can all end up pretty much stalemating against Loud Bird due to the Silence/Dodge/Weaken combo. It rolls doubles so often!!

yeah, if you only have one attack loud bird is a Problem, i've seen a dude streaming this take 70+ turns to kill a loud bird because of it (playing with a super-defensive build aiming for shield bash, which he got afterwards)

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Venuz Patrol posted:

kraken is particularly vulnerable to freeze, too, as if that wasn't good enough already

my biggest worry in any run is usually snowman, who can do insane damage and freeze every turn if the rolls are lucky

this is another reason burning light is the best early witch spell. dead is the best status effect on witch 4 and some really dangerous enemies take extra damage from fire

freeze is great against sneezy but so is killing him on turn 2

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

power word- Jeb! posted:

this is another reason burning light is the best early witch spell. dead is the best status effect on witch 4 and some really dangerous enemies take extra damage from fire

freeze is great against sneezy but so is killing him on turn 2
Witch 4 is the last 4 I haven't beaten, any tips? My usual strategy of trying to set up Hall of Mirrors while I fart around with Magic Shield doesn't really work when you get so much less time from upgraded enemies' attacks.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Just got this today and two things:

1: this game owns
2: loud bird can gently caress off

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Witch 4 is the last 4 I haven't beaten, any tips? My usual strategy of trying to set up Hall of Mirrors while I fart around with Magic Shield doesn't really work when you get so much less time from upgraded enemies' attacks.

the thing about episode 4 enemies is that their ability to kill you is strongly improved but their ability to not die is only slightly improved. so you should try to destroy them as fast as possible. the main exception is if they have disables like freeze, lock, silence, etc.

the math on HoM is like this. you essentially spend one die on the slot which could have been something else, and you spend another die on activation. so you break even on turn 3. so if you can win by turn 3 you should do that instead of using HoM

my main advice is to be as aggressive as possible, try to kill enemies quickly. and if you know an enemy is going to be a problem come in with a limit break ready.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Oof, having a really rough time with this game honestly. Not sure I like it because it's just utterly shameless about screwing you.

One of my thief runs ended on literally the first fight because the gardener just kept rolling sixes round after round, while I kept getting stuck with poo poo I couldn't use. In another instance, the snowman (i think?) rolled maximum damage on all four of its attacks and just hit me for more damage in a single round than I had max health. Really feels like the game just sometimes decides to arbitrarily end your run with no recourse at all, feels like a waste of time to try and win knowing that poo poo can just collapse on a whim.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

Good tips already. It’s good to remember that the Uptick ability also changes all your dice, so even if it’s not a 1 turn you can still Lockpick a die and then spend another die to change them both. Early you really can’t do damage without 2s/3s so you need to maximize your damage on those turns, and keep in mind that ending fights on the 1 turn gives you good burst next fight while ending fights on 3 does not.

I think you’re offered guaranteed Hall of Mirrors and Magic Spear during the run, and upgraded HoM is pretty good when not on Witch, so the endgame is manageable.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Impressed at the people who have got to any ep 6, my best is 3 at warrior :/

Still, I got to work on my strat skillz because I'm peaking at As6 in StS, and I know I'm better than that scrub tier.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Beat witch elimination round, and am feeling really proud of it :3: game is super fun.

Now time to figure out how the hell her PU works...

e: Also, loud bird is literally weighted to always play its entire turn. It always gets doubles and an even+odd. I've watched people stalemate against it for like 25 minutes.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I've found that Hall of mirrors is really slow until you have an upgraded slot; I ignore it half the time now if it doesn't suit my build. My go-to is putting duplicate on 1 instead of cauldron, taking ice shard, then picking up blizzard ASAP. Also, get prepared slot on that level 3 level-up, having ice shard on the board instantly is invaluable for the earlygame and putting magic spear in it when you get it is really good.

This setup is pretty reliant on rolling a 6, but I found that burning my lower dice on magic missile+ice shard didn't feel too bad either. My final spellbook's usually something like:
1. Duplicate
2. Magic Spear
3. Nudge or magic key? Kind of a weird slot, and I'm probably not using it optimally.
4. Ice shard
5. Magic Missile
6. Blizzard (Hall of mirrors until I get blizzard)

Also, don't be afraid to switch up your prepared spells if for upcoming enemies. For example, when I was fighting Kraken, I knew I'd be blinded for most of the fight, so I prepped ice shard+magic missile so I had somewhere to dump evens and odds and so I could freeze him faster.

Witch does a lot of damage when she pops off.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 26, 2019

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I can't for the life of me beat witch one, I keep getting my face stomped in around floor 4. Any advice beyond use the shield/heal?

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Happylisk posted:

I can't for the life of me beat witch one, I keep getting my face stomped in around floor 4. Any advice beyond use the shield/heal?

All my advice in the post above yours also applies to witch 1! Though I've found magic shield to be kind of underwhelming if you're not running full turtle+hall of mirrors. Witch is a lot better than I think a lot of people give her credit for, because it's a little brain melting to look at her spellbook at first. She gets a shitton of freeze+damage if you're cycling your dice efficiently.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 26, 2019

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I thought your guide applied to later episodes, good to know! I'll try working more freeze into my build and see if that works.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
some witch thoughts:

having no damage on your one dice spell is risky because you can get completely locked up by freeze enemies. i like to keep a cauldron assigned to that slot until the end of the round for this reason

i have always found more benefit from prepared slots than upgraded slots. one particular benefit of prepared slots is you can go into fights with high impact spells that require two dice to record from your spellbook, like magic spear and blizzard

fully leveling up seems like a bad idea. witch doesnt gain dice with levels, so a fourth prepared slot isn’t even necessarily that useful. more to the point, the four extra kills required to reach level max is almost always harder than the boss fight

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

having no damage on your one dice spell is risky because you can get completely locked up by freeze enemies. i like to keep a cauldron assigned to that slot until the end of the round for this reason

It's risky, but duplicate on 1 is soooo fun :negative: how am I meant to give that up

I just prep ice shard against freeze enemies and rely on crystal ball, which isn't great. Maybe I should consider another cauldron for my 3 slot...

e: maybe I should try duplicate on 3 and cauldron on 1 for consistency

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 26, 2019

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Ha, if a spare die on Robot 3 gets shocked, you can still use it. Not sure if that's intended, but okay.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
My witch build:
If you get burning light
1. Cauldron
2. Duplicate
3. Burning light
4. Magic shield
5. Blizzard
6. Hall of mirrors

If you don't get burning light take the shock spell and put it on 5, blizzard on 3. In practice I actually put dupe on 3 but in theory the above should be slightly better. I don't use hom or magic shield much but in some fights they are amazing and you have 6 slots so I bring em.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Color Printer posted:

Ha, if a spare die on Robot 3 gets shocked, you can still use it. Not sure if that's intended, but okay.

Also, Mulligan removes the Weakened status.

EDIT: also, the spare die can eat the curse status and you still get the dice. This all seems definitely intended.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 26, 2019

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
I am getting really sick of the Witch's bonus round. The one time I managed to get to the boss with a decent loadout & health, it crashed every time I started the fight. I'd edit my save if I could, but it seems to be in a binary format, which is a bit annoying.

Edit: Actually, it's just the in-game save that's not easily editable, you can edit the progression JSON file because it's all in plaintext. The final boss is pretty cool!

Naar fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 26, 2019

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Inventor 3 is, uh, something. :stare:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Color Printer posted:

Inventor 3 is, uh, something. :stare:
It starts lovely but by the end you're doing incredibly ridiculous things, especially on the final fight where you can break all your stuff on purpose to spam multiple gadgets.

edit: oh I came in to ask, is there a dev suggestion form or anything, I'd love for the UI on the Witch's spellbook to let you click the slot first and then the spell to put in there, I keep instinctively doing that rather than the reverse

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 26, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I really need tips on Witch 6 because so many of the bonus round rules are terrible for her. Plus you have both parallel and normal items showing up and mana makes combining them into a consistent build really tough. Plus mana is inherently slow and I just don't have time to build it up in tough fights. Help I want to finish this

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I have no idea how to make witch work at all

I just want to win one more episode to unlock the last character

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

As far as I can tell, you either lean hard on duplicate or hard on hall of mirrors. Also, you'll eventually need the two dice spells for damage output.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Cactus is eating me for lunch on Witch 4. Well, every run I don't have Burning Light I mean. Freezing it just lets it guarantee spikes and spear+ does damage even if you freeze every die it has so you can't sit there and turtle and thorns hurt even through Magic Shield.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ugh I just got a rule that would've been completely untenable so I had to pick random and got "you will never roll a 6" which was basically game over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Color Printer posted:

I have no idea how to make witch work at all

I just want to win one more episode to unlock the last character

Just so you know, winning episodes is not how you unlock the last character.

I mean technically you do have to win one episode at some point but it doesn't matter which one it is.