Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

All I've got left now is surviving a cornelius attack, doing 40+ damage in one attack and hard mode witch. I have no idea how you do the second other than stealing nightmare, and bonus mode witch is bad enough without it also being elimination round again, the normal/parallel universe witch skills don't combine very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Einwand posted:

All I've got left now is surviving a cornelius attack, doing 40+ damage in one attack and hard mode witch. I have no idea how you do the second other than stealing nightmare, and bonus mode witch is bad enough without it also being elimination round again, the normal/parallel universe witch skills don't combine very well.

I think I got 40+ in one attack with a sixth character Shield Bash build? Particle Accelerator should be able to do it fairly easily too, but that's a pretty rare drop.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I got the 40+ damage one with the inventor

Upgraded flamethrower has 4 slots for dice, fill it with fives or sixes and use it on something weak to fire!

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I did 96 damage with PU sixth character with shield bash.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Begemot posted:

I got the 40+ damage one with the inventor

Upgraded flamethrower has 4 slots for dice, fill it with fives or sixes and use it on something weak to fire!

Oh yeah, I forgot type matchups. Meteor should be able to do it too, then; maybe Absolute Zero if anyone can get it on a level that still has ice-vulnerable enemies.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure I got it with meteor vs. snowman.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Einwand posted:

i think when i got it it was off a fury'd attack

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I did 999 damage in one turn as the Thief.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
oh no I'm back to the Witch in my character rotation oh nooooo

Witch 2 doesn't change much, so I'll eventually lame it out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
the early part of robot runs fuckin suck. enemies keep rolling sixes and my items are massive garbage.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's not fun, but if you're throwing your dice into your gear whenever there's any chance of going bust you should usually make it to the point where you get your Buster Sword/Ultima Weapon and can start kicking rear end!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
1-48 on Witch 4. And 1 is all that matters thank god I'm freeeeeee

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

They let you skip one episode each character for a reason, and that reason is Witch 4 and only Witch 4.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well, that was miserable mashing my face into it until I even had a chance but I beat hard mode witch, I ran into every fire weak enemy as well so the burning dice dealt 10 damage. Got the 40+ damage achievement not that I'm sure how.

Come to think of it, what's the deal with the Bounty Hunter rule, every other rule is based on some enemy in the game but not that one?

Einwand fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 3, 2019

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Nanomashoes posted:

They let you skip one episode each character for a reason, and that reason is Witch 4 and only Witch 4.

Witch 4 is so existentially horrific it might as well be a Sartre play.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've only beaten episode 1 for the first four characters but doesnt this game get hella frustrating? It seems like enemies have huge variance in how much damage they do while yours is pretty consistent turn to turn.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

No Wave posted:

I've only beaten episode 1 for the first four characters but doesnt this game get hella frustrating? It seems like enemies have huge variance in how much damage they do while yours is pretty consistent turn to turn.

Yeah man it's a roguelike, sometimes the dice come up bad and you just get screwed. Your damage can vary a lot, but it's really only unreasonable on the first couple floors, and things are tilted in your favor there, with frequent level-ups and enemies that can't annihilate you in two or three turns. Once you get deeper in, you can get better equipment and, more importantly, equipment that lets you manipulate dice enough that what comes up in your initial roll doesn't matter as much.

It's all about mitigating risk, dealing with bad rolls in ways that lets you survive through to the next level-up. The star rating of characters is about how difficult it is to figure out the optimal move for a given turn. For the warrior, it's brain-dead simple. Get high numbers, put them in weapon cards. For the witch or inventor, you have to plan ahead even between fights!

But sometimes yeah you just get screwed. But runs are so short that even that isn't a huge problem. It's a great game for picking up and putting down in short sessions, I've found.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I haven't beaten episode 4 on any character yet. I get down to the fourth floor and get destroyed by Wicker Man's upgraded attacks every time. I'm not sure how to deal with him without high damage fire attacks or a ton of status effects.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

No Wave posted:

every so often I lose on floor one without any clear path to playing better that would have let me survive, and that's definitely frustrating. everything from the second floor on, though, if you lose it's probably because you didn't set up your equipment loadout correctly or misplayed during combat. the average damage you can expect to take per combat is low enough (if you're playing well) that it would take several turns in a row of enemies getting the max possible effect from their rolls to actually ruin a good run.

obviously all of this is thrown out the window for witch 4

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

I haven't beaten episode 4 on any character yet. I get down to the fourth floor and get destroyed by Wicker Man's upgraded attacks every time. I'm not sure how to deal with him without high damage fire attacks or a ton of status effects.

Yeah, the new 4-die Wicker Man+ is absolutely ridiculous - he does slightly less than 12 expected damage per turn and with the four die he can burn your dice ~70% of the time! For comparison, Snow Man+ is also a ridiculous run-ender, but he only has expected damage of 10 (+2 freeze). Basically both of them require you to build around fire attacks and status effects or your run is done - if you go more than two rounds you'll usually take more damage than you can recover from!

E: On the plus side, you can totally shut down Wicker Man with freeze, whereas if you start trying to freeze Snow Man+ you’re suddenly taking 12 damage per turn + 4 freezes!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 3, 2019

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

No Wave posted:

It's a pretty short game, so the RNG is forgivable. But the game definitely has plenty of RNG, especially for enemy damage. Whereas every base/low-accession run in Slay the Spire is beatable, sometimes you just get terrible luck in Dicey Dungeons. That said, I was lucky enough to beat Witch 1 and 2 on my first try, but Witch 4 is just hell.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

also does deal lady just usually suck? I've seen her 4 times and the odds of her picking an item you dont want and offering something better seems so low. It would be cool if the card she offered was upgraded/pulled from a slightly op pool so I was more excited to see her. (I havent played enough to be sure shes rarely good.)

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I honestly think that bonus hard mode witch was easier than elimination round, because there's a few bonus rules that can actively be a huge boost, like buster making the burning dice you throw deal 5 instead of 2 damage, or paper knight which gives you +2 dice but -1 every round after the first.

Trade lady seems to request something you have equipped when you enter the floor more often than not, which is usually stuff you don't want to part with, on occasion I've had really good trades, though, like trading dagger+ for a mechanical leg+ which was extremely overpowered on thief.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got this game yesterday, played the Thief and won as a... bear? Was hoping to unlock the bear for more mauling but no such luck. 1/5 would not play again.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

No Wave posted:

also does deal lady just usually suck? I've seen her 4 times and the odds of her picking an item you dont want and offering something better seems so low. It would be cool if the card she offered was upgraded/pulled from a slightly op pool so I was more excited to see her. (I havent played enough to be sure shes rarely good.)

There are some really good possible trades in some of the episodes - your Lockpick for her Sneeze is a deal you want to take - but for the most part it's tough; she's pretty much always set up to ask for one of the lynchpin cards for your build, and even if the offer card is really good that's just not going to work.

I guess it's set up that way so she doesn't just ask for something you're not even using to begin with.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I think I’ve used her literally once. She has a habit of demanding I give up the lynchpin to my strategy that I absolutely could not do without.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

I guess it's set up that way so she doesn't just ask for something you're not even using to begin with.
that sounds fun though

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

No Wave posted:

She keeps wanting to take my best attack in exchange for loving Catastrophe which is a garbage skill outside of maaaaybe countdown Thief builds but even then it doesn't do damage itself and is worse than most of what you can use even then.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I wanna say I probably should diversify my equipment more even if I'm not building around it to counterplay certain fights but then I remember the fuckin' Witch doesn't let you do that. At least you can have freeze + something else.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I got mad at marshmallow hitting me for 11 fucjing damage yet again so I refunded. Truthfully I don't enjoy thinking, I only enjoy being forced to think in games like these so I feel like I've earned it when I get to do silly fun op things later.

It's clear that the witch is actually brilliantly designed in terms of how many things you can do to optimize your play with her, but putting in the effort isnt enticing because the reward you get is so small. Good game if you're the kind of person who enjoys high ascension slay the spire probably.

Warrior is warrior, thief seems only a little less linear (which is probably my comfort zone tbh), robot upsets me because I'm disappointed 5/6 turns, inventor is kind of feelbad, witch is 2hard4me, jester i never got to play but I am certain I'd find him the most enjoyable.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 5, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Did my first bonus round, as Thief. Some highlights:

- The Rose rule (+1 damage to all of your and your enemy's attacks) is hilariously strong when you're already on the Dagger+ plan.
- I got the Kraken rule (cannot see enemy's health after the first turn) and was like "yeah, whatever"... until the boss turned out to be Drake. Fortunately between Unlucky Roll, Dagger+ and Rose I also knocked him down from 62HP to 6HP in the first turn, so he was relatively easy to manage after that.

My current standings:
Warrior: 1,2,3,4
Thief: 1,2,3,4,5,6
Robot: 1,2
Inventor: 1,2,3
Witch: 1
Jester: 1,2

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NRVNQSR posted:

There are some really good possible trades in some of the episodes - your Lockpick for her Sneeze is a deal you want to take - but for the most part it's tough; she's pretty much always set up to ask for one of the lynchpin cards for your build, and even if the offer card is really good that's just not going to work.

I've had the opposite experience (albeit I haven't played a lot), she almost always offers to trade something I've never used for something I'll never use.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Reveilled posted:

I've had the opposite experience (albeit I haven't played a lot), she almost always offers to trade something I've never used for something I'll never use.

Yeah it's definitely not true that she goes for something important. Plenty of times I've had it be something that never left my backpack.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Paul.Power posted:

Did my first bonus round, as Thief. Some highlights:

- The Rose rule (+1 damage to all of your and your enemy's attacks) is hilariously strong when you're already on the Dagger+ plan.
- I got the Kraken rule (cannot see enemy's health after the first turn) and was like "yeah, whatever"... until the boss turned out to be Drake. Fortunately between Unlucky Roll, Dagger+ and Rose I also knocked him down from 62HP to 6HP in the first turn, so he was relatively easy to manage after that.

My current standings:
Warrior: 1,2,3,4
Thief: 1,2,3,4,5,6
Robot: 1,2
Inventor: 1,2,3
Witch: 1
Jester: 1,2

I'm skipping the dumb and boring Elim Round on everyone but otherwise I've beat all of the other episodes aside from Witch and 6th Character Bonus Round. I'm trying to grind out the Witch but the addition of underpowered mana abilities and the seeming removal of the big hitting Inferno/Blizzard/etc spells that round really sucks. Having a choice of like five different abilities that just do 5 damage seems like a lot of mediocrity to wade through. My kingdom for Freeze Spell.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I'm skipping the dumb and boring Elim Round on everyone but otherwise I've beat all of the other episodes aside from Witch and 6th Character Bonus Round. I'm trying to grind out the Witch but the addition of underpowered mana abilities and the seeming removal of the big hitting Inferno/Blizzard/etc spells that round really sucks. Having a choice of like five different abilities that just do 5 damage seems like a lot of mediocrity to wade through. My kingdom for Freeze Spell.
I've now got all six episodes for Warrior and Thief done, and the first three episodes for everyone else (just beat witch 2 by a very narrow margin, had a weaken spell and I needed Scathach to roll the same number as the thing that got weakened - and she did!).

And yeah, I'm tempted to skip the elimination rounds for the other four characters for now, as any attempt I've made with any of them so far has ended in pain.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
the wizard spells are always kinda broken if you get them

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Did Warrior 2 today, and had Beatrice as the end boss. That was certainly a bit rough, because when she shocks half my poo poo, and then gets flight to boot, having to overcome the 50% curse failure chance AND get at least two attacks off with very limited dice kinda sorta sucks.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Paul.Power posted:

I've now got all six episodes for Warrior and Thief done, and the first three episodes for everyone else (just beat witch 2 by a very narrow margin, had a weaken spell and I needed Scathach to roll the same number as the thing that got weakened - and she did!).

And yeah, I'm tempted to skip the elimination rounds for the other four characters for now, as any attempt I've made with any of them so far has ended in pain.

I beat it finally by stumbling across Blizzard somehow after a dozen runs of not having any big damage spell. Quad freezing Beatrice helped. I still had only two health at the end because she could not stop rolling 3+ shocks a turn, but we got 'em.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I finally beat Witch 4 after 25 tries. My winning strategy was to get a hall of mirrors engine going by placing HoM and doppledice in slots 1 and 2. I found this to be more reliable than putting HoM in an upgraded slot, since with Doppledice a 3 or a 6 would start the engine. I also had healing crystal and magic shield - as I was building my HoM engine I would try to heal and shield as much as possible, until I hit critical mass and could consistently shield for more damage than the enemy could deal. I would then heal up to full and end the fight with max HP. For poison enemies where this wouldn't work I'd try to fight them only when I would level up after the fight, so I could play more aggressively and still end on max HP. Relied on the double shock spell and ice shard to deal with the boss. Tedious as gently caress but it worked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I beat it finally by stumbling across Blizzard somehow after a dozen runs of not having any big damage spell. Quad freezing Beatrice helped. I still had only two health at the end because she could not stop rolling 3+ shocks a turn, but we got 'em.
Funnily enough, I had Blizzard for Witch 2 I think, and it was doing good work, but then I saw Scathach and went "welp, immune to freeze" and swapped it out of a prepared slot for the aforementioned Weaken spell (I think it was Sonic Wave?). I could maybe have kept Blizzard because 2d6 damage is nothing to sniff at, but ah well.

Robot 5 down now too. Slightly crazed finale where I had to work through Drake's two Vampire? health bars while having no drat idea how much health I had left myself, thanks to Blind?. At least he doesn't do particularly big damage...

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 9, 2019