Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
just had a Thief 6 run where the first "penalty" i got was "All equipment you find is upgraded" and then i had the easiest game of my life with Wrecking Ball+ and the "roll 2 fours" charm.

just to sweeten the deal my boss was the dragon so I was tossing out an extra 5 damage every turn for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I got bored and decided to make the Thief in Soul Calibur 6 and see how I managed to do a human version of him. Long story short stickers are a pain in the rear end to work with and ended up not looking all that great but I left them there because I thought the dice motif was worth having in some way.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Beat the Witch parallel universe! 1 win, 28 losses. :negative:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Witch Parallel Universe is really cool, but jesus I'm getting my butt kicked just as I started to feel comfortable with her mechanics. For her PU kit, do people find Daffodil useful at all? I'm beginning to think it's a trap over getting an upgraded spell slot and using Snapdragon + even cards to build mana up. I've also been losing with the various "bonus effect if mana >= value" instead of Sun Beam which is way more straightforward.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
To answer your spoilered question; not even a little, no. It's really hard to balance dice manipulation spells like Nudge or Magic Key with damage spells like Magic Missile, Magic Dagger or even Cauldrons, mainly because we have no idea what spells will become available, which makes slot planning almost impossible. The Witch needs to be able to rearrange her spellbook, I think.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I beat witch 4 by just stacking enchanted missiles into every single slot and damage racing the entire episode, same for 6 hard mode actually.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Got to the final chapter, it owns.

If only I didn't have to beat Witch to get to it

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Archenteron posted:

Got to the final chapter, it owns.

If only I didn't have to beat Witch to get to it
I think I'm 0 for 12 on the Witch bonus round. It's the only chapter I haven't beaten, not including the elimination rounds.

I've put several dozen hours into the game now, but I think I'm going to stop until there are some balance changes. The difficulty is just all over the place, even accounting for the randomness inherent in a dice-based game.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Dicey Dungeons OR How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love to Save Scum

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Double duplicate+, double blizzard+ was what finally won me Round 6.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Parallel Universe is really fun except for PU Witch. Even though she has an easier time getting return-dice abilities compared to normal Witch, she still needs to scale up to win later fights. But it's so much harder to survive scaling without easy access to freeze, freeze?, burn?, and shock.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are special halloween stages out for a limited time right now.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ImpAtom posted:

There are special halloween stages out for a limited time right now.

They're available until Nov. 4, supposedly they'll be available as mods when that support becomes available afterwards if you miss it. It's a new episode for Warrior, Inventor, and Witch.

Warrior - Standard episode with set rule changes unlocking as you go down floors.

Inventor - All equipment comes with drawbacks or is just plain bad.

Witch - Each fight has a set spellbook and dice rolls. Also, you have to defeat each enemy in one turn.

Warrior and Inventor are pretty straightforward, but I can't figure out the solution to the Witch's final boss. It's a real shame, I was having a lot of fun until I started banging my head against that wall. Hopefully someone'll figure it out before the event ends.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm mega stupid then because I was stuck on Floor 2 of Witch for like 5 minutes before I just moved on. :v:

This is super charming and great though, a lot of effort for just a fun little holiday event given all the new art, new items for Engineer, and new music.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ooh I only did warrior and tried Inventor but witch sounds cool, I'll have to go back and check it out

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Far as I can tell for the final witch boss the secret is "just go infinite lol", the cornelius one took me a bit and didn't have a dumb solution like the boss one did.

If you want the solution it's using doppel twice on 4s and vice grip to generate more fours to just generate infinite dice until you get bored and then use harvest scythe to cut down the amount of dice you have to throw.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Einwand posted:

Far as I can tell for the final witch boss the secret is "just go infinite lol", the cornelius one took me a bit and didn't have a dumb solution like the boss one did.

If you want the solution it's using doppel twice on 4s and vice grip to generate more fours to just generate infinite dice until you get bored and then use harvest scythe to cut down the amount of dice you have to throw.

There must have been an update, you can't throw dice in the Halloween episode. Doppletwice and Vice Grip are part of the solution though, you need to make enough dice so Harvest Scythe can eat all six spells.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The new funky fresh Halloween combat themes got uploaded for your listening pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_m2MmguAzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c682RbkqpzU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The new funky fresh Halloween combat themes got uploaded for your listening pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_m2MmguAzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c682RbkqpzU

Those tracks are fantastic, I hope they get added to the OST on Bandcamp or elsewhere.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Put this game down ages ago, came back to it, instantly beat Bonus Round Witch (she got the buff to be able to pick an extra die plus at least Sneezy and Wicker Man got nerfed since I last touched it) and I really really really like the final final boss fight. Did a great job feeling both totally rigged against me and totally doable.

(could have won if I hadn't misclicked to switch my character in and die with it at 4 HP.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Picked this up after seeing it on so many GOTY lists. Been having a great time for the most part. Beat the warrior route, 1 stage on each of the other routes, and am currently trying to beat the elimination round on Jester(stage 4). Got some questions.

Is there a bug with the Inventor duplication card where it sometimes won't let you Snap identical cards with one of the dupes being the former inventor card? I swear I was able to do so earlier in the dungeon, but I have been losing dozens of times on the elimination round with jester, made it to the boss 3 times, and on this latest go...had a perfect hand, ready to go with double Whip+(one inventor), activated my limit break, went to hit Snap, and...it wasn't active. is this a bug? did I just lose my finally everything-going-perfectly run to a lovely bug? and is curse supposed to make cards not auto-slide into place, curse is already absurdly strong against jester, but then to force another move before the 3 available cards will update seems extremely overkill.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a bug with the Inventor duplication card where it sometimes won't let you Snap identical cards with one of the dupes being the former inventor card?
Probably yes - I had that issue a few months back and I have no idea if it was ever patched. I know that's not super helpful.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nah it's cool. I just savescummed my way through another run of it since I would have absolutely annihilated Beatrix if it had worked properly. Like, I had two Whip+, FOUR Duplicate+, two Hammer+, among others. It was a beastly deck, with multiple anvils found relatively early and then multiple copies found by the end of the run, and I blew all my cash on Boop deletion.

but...the whip+ snap failure resulted in having to waste dice getting rid of them both, resulting in her stunlocking me shortly after with multiple sixes rolled soon after. Even with a second Snap, it was way too late, with how thin the margins are on the Elimination Round.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I just cannot win with the witch. Have ground through a few wins with the others and completed the first dice, but keep getting killed on level 5 with the witch

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How do you play her? Biggest thing I can think to ask is what you're taking at level ups, but also which spells do you think are good and which seem useless?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I try to prioritize using all of my dice, so looking for spells that use both even and odd. Often I'll find the spell that requires a six to add a dice, it's ok but too many dice kind of sucks because I have to replace used spells. The spells that give shock are nice, the even + 1 shock I keep and often slots into my upgrade slot. The even that deals 5 as well. I think the duplicate and +1/-1 spells might be good, but I don't normally think they're great so rarely slot them in. Cauldron sticks around as a means to hope for better dice.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There's your problem. Whereas the other classes can get away with getting the right dice, Witch needs more dice period. The ideal Witch turn often involves replacing used spells so you can fire off five or six spells* in a single amazing turn. This means the witch has to either use the build where you stall while using the spell that adds a dice, or rely on the build with duplicate and really strong offensive spells. Also, freeze is critical for normal witch.

* 3 cauldron variants and 3 real spells

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ah right. I aim for getting more dice with other characters, and occasionally end up with being able to reload on spells with witch but I guess I wasn't taking the right spells to go with it. I suppose witch's power beinf 3 extra dice should've tipped me off.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Bumping this thread. Anyone still playing this? I've put a lot of hours into it the past three weeks, it's great. Currently have six episodes left to beat, Inventor 4-6 and Witch 4-6, and it really feels like the difficulty on these is way, way higher than anything else.

Inventor is just hard to figure out which items to take, which to risk for each fight, which to upgrade, how to spend your coins, whether to even take on that extra fight to aim for max level and risk losing a key piece of equipment... Really difficult to evaluate the situation starting at the third floor or so. My most recent runs on episode 4 ended at the boss, the first I banked on two Flamethrowers+ and got Buster as my boss, so that's that. The second I debated for like five minutes if I should take on the final two fights on floor 5 to get to max level and full heal or hit the boss on 30/40 HP. I went with the latter after deciding that Cowboy will just end me on turn 2 anyway, so I might as well try for the boss. Got flattened by Audrey.

With Witch I only have one strategy figured out, which got me through the first three episodes, but not very reliably. It basically amounts to tanking for 2-3 turns while using Hall of Mirrors on the first prepared slot and another Hall of Mirrors on an upgraded slot until you have 6-7 dice, then replace one with healing and go from there. I usually ended fights with 10-12 dice. I don't think it's quick enough for the Elimination Round and onwards, though. I'm going to try experimenting with prepared slots more maybe cause I usually upgrade, as well as try relying more on dice recycling rather than duping.

Anyway, good game and GOAT-tier soundtrack.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It's been a long while since I played but I still listen to parts of the soundtrack once in a while - much to the befuddlement of others nearby if it's on speaker :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHKaBM54IU

Last time I played I got through everyone's first scenario okay, plus :tbear: run; and Warrior 2, then got completely stuck on Thief 2 and really frustrated. Haven't seen anything else :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I still boot it up from time to time.

Still haven't been able to beat a single episode of the witch. I've literally finished every other episode, including the bonus rounds! Something about the witch just does not mesh with my brain.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just finally beat Round 7 not that long ago. It was extremely cute. :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Glare Seethe posted:

Bumping this thread. Anyone still playing this? I've put a lot of hours into it the past three weeks, it's great. Currently have six episodes left to beat, Inventor 4-6 and Witch 4-6, and it really feels like the difficulty on these is way, way higher than anything else.

Inventor is just hard to figure out which items to take, which to risk for each fight, which to upgrade, how to spend your coins, whether to even take on that extra fight to aim for max level and risk losing a key piece of equipment... Really difficult to evaluate the situation starting at the third floor or so. My most recent runs on episode 4 ended at the boss, the first I banked on two Flamethrowers+ and got Buster as my boss, so that's that. The second I debated for like five minutes if I should take on the final two fights on floor 5 to get to max level and full heal or hit the boss on 30/40 HP. I went with the latter after deciding that Cowboy will just end me on turn 2 anyway, so I might as well try for the boss. Got flattened by Audrey.

With Witch I only have one strategy figured out, which got me through the first three episodes, but not very reliably. It basically amounts to tanking for 2-3 turns while using Hall of Mirrors on the first prepared slot and another Hall of Mirrors on an upgraded slot until you have 6-7 dice, then replace one with healing and go from there. I usually ended fights with 10-12 dice. I don't think it's quick enough for the Elimination Round and onwards, though. I'm going to try experimenting with prepared slots more maybe cause I usually upgrade, as well as try relying more on dice recycling rather than duping.

Anyway, good game and GOAT-tier soundtrack.

I had finished everything except witch 5 and 6.

I tried jumping back into the game a few months later to finish those up and 100% the game.

it did not go well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I had finished everything except witch 5 and 6.

I tried jumping back into the game a few months later to finish those up and 100% the game.

it did not go well.
Skip 5, but power through Witch 6, the grand finale you unlock is worth it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I think Witch would feel better to play if her UI was improved, right now it feels kind of clumsy and unintuitive. Checking a spell's upgrade for instance is too many clicks, and replacing your prepared spells is done in a weird way from a UI perspective. Why isn't it just drag-and-drop like normal equipment? Would be nice if you could see equipment upgrades in a shop too while I'm at it (for everyone, I mean).

Two other design changes that would help her would be allowing you to move spells around in your spellbook rather than locking you into your bad decision, and letting you go back to loot if you decided not to pick it up at first. With normal equipment you can see what a chest contains and leave it, then change your mind and come back for it. With Witch if you decline a spell it vanishes from the floor so you have to make a decision on the spot. (edit: <-- This whole thing I wrote isn't actually true, I must be mistaking it for something else.) I think both of these changes would help without changing her gameplay all too much at all, and certainly wouldn't make her less challenging. Right now it just sorta feels bad to lack the basic flexibility that the other characters have.

The other day I did Thief's Bonus Round and this...:

...did not work as I thought it would. Apparently Bounty Hunter only applies to your initial, natural rolls, not re-rolls. I was so disappointed. :( Seems like exactly the kind of cool interaction that's fun to stumble on in this genre, but nope. The rule description should really be clarified there.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 16, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Turns out not stubbornly going for every fight in an attempt to get to max level does wonders for your chance to win. Especially with Inventor's later episodes, unsurprisingly, but it's helped me a ton with Witch as well. Just being smarter about which fights to take (and when, if it's a consideration) and which to just skip. If you've been similarly guilty of that while trying to clear some of those final episodes I strongly recommend trying that. Specifically from the third floor onwards, on the first two I generally do still fight everyone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Dicey Dungeons crew have a game in demo version on Steam right now called Floppy Knights. It doesn't look like my thing, but you may want to check it out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A bit late on this but the Switch version is out now if anyone was waiting for it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just picked this up from the Steam Summer Sale, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It’s a great game I should really replay at some point.