Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The stupid Cold War free weekend got me hooked. I actually prefer the wacky rear end fast gameplay when compared to MW. MW was my first cod game though. I’m unironically excited about vanguard. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hp lovecrafts cat
Nov 28, 2020

has anyone else seen people using cold war skins in MW 2019 multiplayer? i can't seem to find the option to switch to cold war operators and i see other folks using them from time to time.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

sun dog forever posted:

has anyone else seen people using cold war skins in MW 2019 multiplayer? i can't seem to find the option to switch to cold war operators and i see other folks using them from time to time.

I think woods was available to use in MW if you pre ordered Cold War. But yeah, ive seen Adler run around in MW too.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You could get a Woods operator from the BOCW Warzone event.

tjones
May 13, 2005
This game is still fun as gently caress and one of my most favorite CODs to date, even with all the glaring issues.

I'm pretty tired of WW weaponry but if Vanguard plays even remotely like MW does I think I'll probably end up playing it more than I did WWII and BO4/CWOPS.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

tjones posted:

This game is still fun as gently caress and one of my most favorite CODs to date, even with all the glaring issues.

I'm pretty tired of WW weaponry but if Vanguard plays even remotely like MW does I think I'll probably end up playing it more than I did WWII and BO4/CWOPS.

While I know most of my friends are going to buy Vanguard I just have zero interest and see no appeal in using old ugly bland looking WW2 guns anymore.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Fenarisk posted:

While I know most of my friends are going to buy Vanguard I just have zero interest and see no appeal in using old ugly bland looking WW2 guns anymore.

Counterpoint is DeI Isle Carbine but with 5 stupid attachments on it and a anime paint job.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

How is progression even going to work? It’s not like soldiers had a plethora of attachments at their disposal. The only WW2 Cod I’ve played is the first one and it’s MP was bad compared to DoD at the time. The next one I played was MW 2019 lol.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

TheGoonspiracist posted:

Counterpoint is DeI Isle Carbine but with 5 stupid anachronistic and made up attachments on it and an anime paint job.

FTFY

for what its worth i agree with the other guy. seeing that cod was going ww2 again was a big so what.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Happy Hedonist posted:

How is progression even going to work? It’s not like soldiers had a plethora of attachments at their disposal. The only WW2 Cod I’ve played is the first one and it’s MP was bad compared to DoD at the time. The next one I played was MW 2019 lol.

It’s the same as MW. You’ll be running heavy barrels, yellow dot sights or a 3x scope, front grips and extended mags.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

VulgarandStupid posted:

It’s the same as MW. You’ll be running heavy barrels, yellow dot sights or a 3x scope, front grips and extended mags.

yes, this person gets it.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
It would be nice to play a new WW 2 game but I don't really feel like giving Activision anymore money and I doubt they've fixed MM and ping issues.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Chinese or Korean players in almost every MW core game now.

Games dead in Australia.

e: just to be very clear, this isnt a race issue, just a latency issue.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 12, 2021

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Laserface posted:

Chinese or Korean players in almost every MW core game now.

Games dead in Australia.

Wow.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

If I’m going to ply a multiplayer WW2 game these days I’ll stick it out for Hell Let Loose

tjones
May 13, 2005
Vanguard beta initial observations:

The movement is a more restricted version of MW. They made it feel clunky and not as fluid.
Crouch spam delays crouching. You can't slide cancel out of every TS and instantly get TS back.
Everything looks like WWII. Maps feel like WWII maps. Seeing enemy players is extremely hard.
The sound mixing in this is so loving bad its like a child randomly set the EQ sliders and called it a day. I literally can't hear anything, even my own gun firing.
Mounting is back and is dumb as it was the first time. Now you can strafe while your gun is a laser beam.
The blindfire mechanic is broken. You can break the game cameras by spamming it over and over. You get to peak for info but to other clients you haven't exposed yourself.
Guns seem fine so far but I've yet to really play with anything othe than the MP40 and STG.

All in all, it's a worse MW clone with WW guns and maps.

EDIT: The servers (or host) keep making GBS threads themselves. I've yet to play a game that wasn't constant packet loss. I think I might enjoy the game more if it wasn't having day 1 server issues. Matchmaking is quick even with crossplay disabled.

The 10 attachment slots per gun appear to have already created some god tier meta as a few guys are running around deleting everything with either a STG or Thompson build. MP40 isn't bad either.

tjones fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 17, 2021

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Why am I regularly a top 3 scorer in elims and points in goal driven modes, but am lucky to get 5 kills in team DM? I do fine in CW TDM, but am a clown show in MW. It's confusing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Happy Hedonist posted:

Why am I regularly a top 3 scorer in elims and points in goal driven modes, but am lucky to get 5 kills in team DM? I do fine in CW TDM, but am a clown show in MW. It's confusing.

Run around the map in the opposite direction to your spawn.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

first impression of vanguard is pretty bad

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Qmass posted:

first impression of vanguard is pretty bad

Can you elaborate?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can you elaborate?

Well it's a cod game for starters

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can you elaborate?
where do you begin...

its worse in basically every area compared to modern warfare. it uses the same engine but

its ugly
it sounds bad
it feels clunky

the WW2 theming feels off which ruins the novelty, if any was even possible

id rather play cold war and I played none of that game because it was worse than modern warfare too

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Infinity ward are the only good cod dev and it's been that way since mw1

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Just for the sake of variety of opinion

Qmass posted:

where do you begin...

its worse in basically every area compared to modern warfare. it uses the same engine but

its ugly
it sounds bad
it feels clunky

the WW2 theming feels off which ruins the novelty, if any was even possible

id rather play cold war and I played none of that game because it was worse than modern warfare too

I don't feel it looks to bad, many environments look really nice, but noticeably the game seems to have a lot of texture issues. Also flashbang kills show up as "Item"

The sound mixing is appalling, individually many of the sounds are fine, and guns can sound amazing but in general you can't hear anything and it needs a total overhaul

The gameplay feels solid, not as good as MW but still considerably better than Cold War ever felt to me when it comes to general movement. That being said the menu is as clunky as every with way to many Menu within a menu systems.

The WW2 theme feels fine to me but its weird that both sides have all the same characters and it makes identifying enemies awkward at times.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Why would anyone settle for worse than MW if you can play MW?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Golly this Vanguard game loving sucks rear end

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I've never been around for a new CoD, having only started at MW/CW at almost the same time. How much changes from beta to finished product?

I highly doubt I'll play a CoD when a new Battlefield is out. Hell, I still play BF1 when the itch gets me. But I wouldn't be averse to it, either.

I get to play video games about two to three hours a night. If I wanted to, I could play more. But I'm also old and get upset if I time sink anymore than I already do into video games.

I literally don't understand how adults, even in college or high school, have enough time to split between multiple games. I might play one or two a year, tops. And not always finish out all the content, either. Maybe in pre-Always Online times it would have been feasible. But when competition and endless progression is a part of the experience, it never slows down.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

comparing it directly to COD: WW2 is not favourable and that was 4 years ago from the same company wasn't it ?

tjones
May 13, 2005
The comparisons are apt. The game could be best described as WWII on the MW engine. Similar guns and sounds, similar killstreaks, similar colour palettes, similar looking maps. Same developer. IMO its just a reskin and feels lazy in a lot of ways. The MW engine is the saving grace for me.

I've played a considerable amount of the beta now. The gun feel is good. Gunfights are very fun. The overall game is fun even with the issues and would most likely be a great COD title if they can fix everything in a timely manner. This is coming from someone who didn't like WWII all that much. WWII was the least played title for me behind BO4.

There are too many doors on the map. I hated the door mechanic to begin with, but there weren't too many in MW and it was something you eventually got acustomed to. Every threashold on the maps now have doors. All the windows have doors. It's loving overkill.

The map destruction appears cool on paper and is neat the first time you encounter it, but it leads to maps being way too open after a match has progressed for some time. The two smaller maps really suffer from this. It leads to flank routes being almost impossible mid to late game as running through middle opens you up to 100 different angles where someone sitting on a headglitch (or mounted lol) can immediately pick you off.

Allowing 10 attachments per gun in the gunsmith is a mistake. Default gun TTK is good. The current meta guns' TTK are edging on extreme and even in core feels almost hardcore-ish compared to past titles. MW had this same issue when the DLC guns started dropping and Activision started milking the whole youtube/twitch "THIS GUN IS BROKEN!" release cycle. 10 attachments are going to be hard to balance across the board.

Spawns are a huge loving problem and I'm not sure how they will fix it. It is the worst they've ever been when comparing them to past titles. Half the time I spend squad spawning WITH the enemy team. I find I'm shot in the back immediately off spawn roughly 20% of the time.

The two smaller maps in the beta should work amazingly well for 4v4. Even in 6v6 situations the spawns break down for all four maps in the beta. Any of the other pacing (read: player lobby counts) modes completely break the spawns and ruin the game, IMO.

I read somewhere where they were going for a "shipment 24/7" feel for all the maps with the higher count pacing modes and they were right. But that explanation feels like a cop-out. They're essentially bragging that they can't figure out a sane spawn system and trying to get by, by embracing the chaos as a good thing. It's not.

The below video is an non-stop occurance most of the time. This is assault pacing but it happens even in the tactical (6v6) mode on the smaller maps as well. Between the sound issues and the spawn problems I would be embarrassed to release this as a beta in the current state it is in.
https://i.imgur.com/c530ebi.mp4

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

also post process AA sinks to an all time low with this game. everything is so loving blurry and washed out and it makes all the muddy poo poo going on meld together.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Qmass posted:

also post process AA sinks to an all time low with this game. everything is so loving blurry and washed out and it makes all the muddy poo poo going on meld together.

That’s how everything looked in 1942.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I've never been around for a new CoD, having only started at MW/CW at almost the same time. How much changes from beta to finished product?

I've played the beta for the last three games now, and it seems like a lot changes. I remember people were losing it over the fact that the CW beta had like ten attachments for the guns (particularly where it came to scopes and the beta only had one red dot, the 2x, the 3x, and the 4x) and that was clearly inferior to MW, then when the actual game came out the number of attachments was way higher and on par with MW. They also fine tune a lot of the mechanics.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

That’s how everything looked in 1942.

Right? These kids should be greatful that it’s been colorized too.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Hey just a quick question question for those of you who might know? Operators that I've gotten from past battlepasses, can I progress their missions and unlock them after that battlepass is over? It's not really clear

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Vanguard has the bones of a good game, but the Beta just seems like such an embarrassing version of it to put in front of players. I can't see the game being worth it on release. I could see it being playable a few months down the line, but overall it's a bad look for a beta.

Game looks great, though. It's a poo poo show in terms of IDing enemies almongst the constant visual clutter and exploding wood and incendiary ammo and muzzle flashes, which makes it kinda unfun to actually play in certain areas, but it looks and run great.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hey just a quick question question for those of you who might know? Operators that I've gotten from past battlepasses, can I progress their missions and unlock them after that battlepass is over? It's not really clear

for MW at least, yes. Any character you have unlocked via the battlepass you can continue unlocking skins for via missions.

tjones
May 13, 2005
How to fix the slide cancel crouch delay causing your player to jump issue on Vanguard:

Set airborne mantle to manual
Set grounded mantle to manual
Disable automatic grounded mantle

You'll have to spam jump when you actually want to mantle something but you should be doing this anyway so that you don't accidently mantle something in front of you in the middle of a gunfight if you happen to jump while shooting.

The movement feels so much better now.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yep, you can do operator missions long after the season is over, there’s no rush

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Changing the hit sound indicators to classic helped me a ton for knowing I was killing a guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Are juggernaut crates bugged right now? They fall, get stuck in midair, and then keep acting like they are hitting things and you can't even get them.