Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

http://ddo.com/en/hardcore

DDO ranks in my top 3 MMO games (EQ, GW1, DDO). The narrations are excellent. The graphics, though dated, still have some charm. Most importantly: the combat feels good!

There's also an insane amount of agency in the type of character you play, with stats, racials, multiclassing, and enhancements. I haven't really played this game in almost a decade, but the hardcore league seems to have breathed some new life into it.

I have no real idea of what I'm doing but I feel much more powerful starting out than I did awhile ago.

Playing hardcore requires a VIP subscription ($15/month or less depending on how many months you sub for).

It's fun because you'll generally see someone die about every minute or other minute. Dying in this mode means permadeath! You'll be able to transfer your character after the season ends (~November) if that's important to you. You're transported to some purgatory space until then.

I've created a guild if people want to join, "spine club." My character's name is "milkman."
Just join one of the large guilds so you can get airship buffs-- there's a lot of people running around with "Open Guild for All" -- I'm in the splinter guild "Open Guild for All Two"

:woop: Hardcore DDO Goon Discord: :woop:
https://discord.gg/p6C8fr3

milkman dad fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

I died. (cold trap)

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD
I am seeing 5th level deaths as most common. Its where my character almost died as well. Failed save vs final boss lightning bolt and hit points plummeted.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Made it to lvl 6 as a Warforged Artificer. Haven't had too many scares. There are tons of groups at low levels. Most people seem to play some ranged dps (warlock seems popular, as well as artificer). Generally feels like you want a build that can self-heal.

Game is still fun though it's a knifes edge between steam rolling content and getting insta-gibbed, principally due to how traps work.

Feel like they should do a free weekend to inject more people into the server. It really does feel like a rogue-like MMO.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i think this is actually a really cool idea and a great way to freshen up the game. if i had more time and wasn't doing other things i'd step in for a bit myself, and i'm someone who doesn't even like hardcore style mechanics. just something about DDO's design makes it sound like it'd work and be interesting. especially if you have a steady group to roll around in. i miss the early days when you got excited for specialized people like that rogue who can do all the traps or the wizard who CCs everything etc.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

i think this is actually a really cool idea and a great way to freshen up the game. if i had more time and wasn't doing other things i'd step in for a bit myself, and i'm someone who doesn't even like hardcore style mechanics. just something about DDO's design makes it sound like it'd work and be interesting. especially if you have a steady group to roll around in. i miss the early days when you got excited for specialized people like that rogue who can do all the traps or the wizard who CCs everything etc.

Running with a static would be a lot of fun. Currently it's still a lot of zerg rushing through a dungeon until everyone has to stop for a trap.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Man this sounds dope, if I wasn't already playing five other MMOs (I have a serious problem) I'd be pretty interested in this

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD
Died to a trap level 8 Artificer doing a level 4 on elite. Got overconfident.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Illuminatus posted:

Died to a trap level 8 Artificer doing a level 4 on elite. Got overconfident.

What was your hp? I'm at 183 currently (lvl 7). Feel like I should have put even more into CON.

Also, do you know if stoneskin helps with traps?

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Is there any interaction with non-Hardcore mode/characters?

Besides permadeath, are there any other differences (or benefits)?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Blacula posted:

Is there any interaction with non-Hardcore mode/characters?

Besides permadeath, are there any other differences (or benefits)?

After the end of the season (November 15) you'll be able to transfer any characters to a non-hardcore server. Other than that, the only interaction will be unlocking cosmetics.

As far as I'm aware, the server's the same as any other with the exception of permadeath. It's also incredibly populated and an easy to get groups at any level (at least pre-10 so far).

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD

milkman dad posted:

What was your hp? I'm at 183 currently (lvl 7). Feel like I should have put even more into CON.

Also, do you know if stoneskin helps with traps?

16 Con, Acid Trap 2 hits and dead. I wasn't paying attention and got clipped with it while picking the box. Stoneskin is only physical damage DR10. If I had protection from elements up I would have had enough time to get clear. I was dumb while on an Elite no better stats would have saved me.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
This piqued my interest to give DDO a try again. Unfortunately after restarting the tutorial for the 3rd time because the NPC pathing broke, that interest immediately died out.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Wonder if I can still do that very difficult to kill trap disabling monk thing I vaguely remember doing a long time ago.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Don’t see many monks. At higher levels you see lots of barbarians because they can sac con for temp hp.

Would be great to form some sort of static where the points not to Zerg rush everything with a wiki open.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Since the regular DDO thread's been archived and I can't find another and this being closest, I figured to ask here. It's easily been at least 6 years or more since I played DDO, and with the amount of changes that've happened since, I'm re-evaluating what characters I have. My question's about the reincarnation options, and reading the DDO wiki's not too clear on parts. I'm considering changing race and class on a character or two and since they've got some stuff that's bound to character, I don't want to lose that stuff by just going the delete/reroll route. With doing a racial reincarnation, will that also reset class so I can choose another or will I have to use a lesser reincarnation as well?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

Since the regular DDO thread's been archived and I can't find another and this being closest, I figured to ask here. It's easily been at least 6 years or more since I played DDO, and with the amount of changes that've happened since, I'm re-evaluating what characters I have. My question's about the reincarnation options, and reading the DDO wiki's not too clear on parts. I'm considering changing race and class on a character or two and since they've got some stuff that's bound to character, I don't want to lose that stuff by just going the delete/reroll route. With doing a racial reincarnation, will that also reset class so I can choose another or will I have to use a lesser reincarnation as well?

I think racial respec is everything:
https://ddowiki.com/page/Racial_Reincarnation

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Only spot I found it mentioning everything was here so I'm not sure if it's just not too clear wiki writing or not.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Racial and heroic reincarnations are what are called true reincarnations, meaning everything resets - you make your character from scratch just like a new character, but keep your gear and get stat bonuses. The only downside is it costs more xp to level.

Fake edit: I don’t play hardcore, but I started playing this game last year and it is just so fun. It stands out in a field of lovely homogenized mmos because of how customizable your character is, there’s always new builds to try and you get bonuses for trying new things due to the reincarnation mechanic. The combat is pretty fun, too.

Ort fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 30, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Ort posted:

Racial and heroic reincarnations are what are called true reincarnations, meaning everything resets - you make your character from scratch just like a new character, but keep your gear and get stat bonuses. The only downside is it costs more xp to level.

Fake edit: I don’t play hardcore, but I started playing this game last year and it is just so fun. It stands out in a field of lovely homogenized mmos because of how customizable your character is, there’s always new builds to try and you get bonuses for trying new things due to the reincarnation mechanic. The combat is pretty fun, too.

Ah, okay. Nothing on the reincarnation pages mentioned the xp increase to level. So, I'd be looking at what amount of xp I'd need to make a second rank normally would become what I'd need to make a first rank on a level, right?

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Ah, okay. Nothing on the reincarnation pages mentioned the xp increase to level. So, I'd be looking at what amount of xp I'd need to make a second rank normally would become what I'd need to make a first rank on a level, right?

It looks like it’s +50% increase in xp required each time you reincarnate capping at +100%. So 4000 to reach level 2 first life, 6000 2nd life, 8000 3rd life.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Roped my boyfriend into trying this with me.

He's going to make a Warforged Artificer, i'm torn on what I want to try. Human monk or some kind of druid or fighter or cleric.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

I’m level 11 now (warforged artificer). Game is still really fun. If you’ve never had a chance to play white plume mountain you should do it. Great stories and quest mechanics.

Have been more people dying in my groups recently where I feel like levels 5-9 things were stable for while. One death someone was jumping platforms and got evaporated by a blast of acid. The other death someone slipped off a slippery platform into a pit of blade traps. Both were avoidable (we had already got past the blade traps, the guy knew the risks).

Level 12 is going to be big. I’ll be able to unlock tier 5 renegade mastermind enhancements, which includes a 95% damage reduction forcefield for 6 seconds if I drop below 50% hp.

I’m still using repeating crossbows but haven’t got a good upgrade in a few levels. There’s rumor they’ll unlock the sharn expansion for gold this month so maybe they’ll also enable gold purchase of inquisitive. Seems that enhancement is really good for ranges dps because you can stack int.

I rerolled my character as “millkman.” Still keen on trying to start a fresh character for a static if there are others interested. Maybe start a discord?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

milkman dad posted:

There’s rumor they’ll unlock the sharn expansion for gold this month so maybe they’ll also enable gold purchase of inquisitive.

Sharn is supposed to hit the in game store this month but nothing about the specifically when's been said yet. Speculation's ranging from second week of the month to before the end of the month.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I wish I didn't have to buy like 300 dollars worth of back expansions to feel like I have the whole game. DDO was always that one unicorn that I let get away and wished I had stuck with it at launch. So much information that just goes over my head with systems that were put in, builds and reincarnations.

Glad to hear people are having fun tho.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Made a discord for anyone who might be interested in grouping or starting a static:

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

We've got a fun static group started. Still have room for 2 more.

Currently we have:
2 Fighter/Bards
1 Druid
1 Wiz/Rog

We're all about level 5 and have died frequently so a future reroll is inevitable!

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I loved playing ddo for the few months I made a goon friend and we played together (I miss you, buddy) and I hated it the other eight times I've tried playing alone.

I want to try this so badly. Hardcore servers are awesome. If there's a good goon presence to play with, I might need to check it out.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

3 regular goons and 1 friend of goon from what I've seen.

Two of those are brand new to DDO so we die often and are also enjoying a bunch of alts.

Not sure anyone in the group has unlocked Drow or higher point builds even.

Highest non dead characters are approaching level 7

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Doing the math if you complete all quests you'll get to 1750 sometime around you clear all the level 9 quests. This will unlock 32 point builds as well as the emo eye cosmetic.

Experience calculation is a little more complicated because the math is impacted by the highest level person(+2, there's a -10% penalty,
,+3 = -25%,+4 = -50%), your relative level (though this only applies to a delta of 4 levels), I'm currently at 107k xp and haven't finished clearing level 3 quests. XP might slow down eventually but so far it seems repeating quests will not be a high necessity.

On hardcore it will lock you out of entering a quest if you are above 4 levels of the base level of the quest (e.g. if you are level 11 you can't enter level 6 quests).

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Haven't played in years , since the Argoonesen guild, but have a level 2 monk named Hemlocke (or Hemloque!) that I am sure is a suboptimal build and will die soon, but is otherwise made for self-sustainability.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Elwood P Dowd posted:

Haven't played in years , since the Argoonesen guild, but have a level 2 monk named Hemlocke (or Hemloque!) that I am sure is a suboptimal build and will die soon, but is otherwise made for self-sustainability.

I added you to my friends list but haven't seen you on. The three of us are all lvl 7/8, but we could die any day! Currently theorycrafting making an all pale master group.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
This game is a ton of fun. I'm just rolling through a normal server right now to get a handle on things, but am interested in Hardcore. Do people typically run Korthos on each new character in HC or does it make sense to skip straight off the island?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

sevenflow posted:

This game is a ton of fun. I'm just rolling through a normal server right now to get a handle on things, but am interested in Hardcore. Do people typically run Korthos on each new character in HC or does it make sense to skip straight off the island?

We usually hit skip on the tutorial/korthos missions prompt when you first make a new character, but do the dungeons on elite anyways. It allows you to go to Stormreach if needed, and lets you group with people that have finished Korthos

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I hope DDO never gets shut down, I keep coming back for a few weeks every year or so. I'll definitely give Hardcore a try next time I play.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Just had my first 1 month re-sub and am still having a good time. Have characters ranging lvl 3-16.

Anyone looking to join should get in on the discord:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

So the publisher is apparently having lay offs? What does this mean for DDO?

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
This game owns and is probably the best D&D hack and slash I’ve played since Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance.

On the other hand I have no idea what they’ve hosed up with actually playing the game, but having to open an ini file and change a number because your character occasionally gets stuck in a void on load screens is real dumb.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I ended up going VIP this time around. I don't know if it's the changes they made over the years or what, but I'm definitely enjoying the game more this time around compared to when I first joined years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
It’s the changes. Quests now give Diablo-like loot, and every class has enhancement talent lines that change up how you play by a lot.

Apparently class balance sucks, but I’m not sure how much that matters if you aren’t doing Reaper.

I’m doing shield paladin now, but did a melee cleric first. 4x Lay Hands per rest solves most of my healing needs, and paladin feels better in actual combat.

Tried Arcane Archer ranger. Bows don’t feel that great to use.

I think I’m going to try quarterstaff rogue next, and then melee wizard or water sorc.

Not sure I’m going to touch the hardcore server. That closes around end of next month?