Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Yeah this game is a good mix of mmo and action rpg. It’s super fun. Balance is not the best but the game hardly has the population to support an endgame so it doesn’t matter much. Most builds could do elite except for newer raids maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Willias posted:

It’s the changes. Quests now give Diablo-like loot, and every class has enhancement talent lines that change up how you play by a lot.

Apparently class balance sucks, but I’m not sure how much that matters if you aren’t doing Reaper.

I’m doing shield paladin now, but did a melee cleric first. 4x Lay Hands per rest solves most of my healing needs, and paladin feels better in actual combat.

Tried Arcane Archer ranger. Bows don’t feel that great to use.

I think I’m going to try quarterstaff rogue next, and then melee wizard or water sorc.

Not sure I’m going to touch the hardcore server. That closes around end of next month?

Arcane archer gets very, very, very strong with levels. Bows feel pretty crap before you get all the gimmicks that make each arrow paralyze or do a million extra acid damage while also firing like 5x faster.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

How solo friendly is this? I like D&D and I wanna waste some time but I despise absolutely everything about playing with other people.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

How solo friendly is this? I like D&D and I wanna waste some time but I despise absolutely everything about playing with other people.

If you play quests on normal or maybe even hard, it's definitely soloable.

Elite without explicit knowledge of the game and a build with high spot and disarm device would be suicide.

Hirelings can make up for damage or healing, but rogue hirelings are :10bux:

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

I’ve been duoing with my brother, we’re level 8 half-elf paladin and 8 dwarf barbarian. We’ve been playing exclusively on Elite difficulty, and we’ve almost cleared all the level 4 quests (on Elite they’re level 6). How well things go depends on how many traps there are and how many spellcasters.

I don’t know how harshly traps scale on the lower difficulties, but on Elite traps usually do a ton of damage or just instantly kill if you aren’t ready for them. Spellcasters aren’t too bad in terms of damage, but CC spells are terrifying. Good news is most casters we’ve seen are super squishy.

I don’t know how good hirelings are, but I do know there’s a lot of preparation you can do in terms of items. Stocking up on Cure Serious Wounds potions, Protection from Energy potions, and various wands (Cure Serious Wounds wand is great) has helped us quite a bit, and all this stuff is bought from vendors with in-game money.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

If you want to play on elite or above you will need to deal with traps. If you haven't unlocked artificer that means you will either want to level a rogue or splash a rogue. Typically people will start with 1 level of rogue because they get a ton of points at level 1 to spend on skills (you will want to level at least spot, search, disable device, and probably open locks).

Most folks that multiclass with rogue will eventually take 2 levels of rogue because it unlocks the evasion feat, which is a nice boost to defense while wearing light armor. Crossbows are a strong ranged option now so you could level to 20 as pure rogue and be fine. If you plan to do this consider gnome as your race. Shorter races are better for later levels of ranged combat because of how projectiles interact with improve precise shot-- if you're a larger race you may shoot over the heads of some targets. Gnomes are also nice because they have access to color spray in their racial enhancement tree, which is a nice defensive boost.

If you want to multiclass (e.g. not level to 20 as rogue) the easiest options will be 2rogue/18ranger or 2rogue/18 bard because ranger and bard get a good number of skill points per level.

You could also consider 2 rogue/18 wizard-- because wizards invest in intelligence they make up for what would otherwise be a lack of skill points.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Willias posted:

It’s the changes. Quests now give Diablo-like loot, and every class has enhancement talent lines that change up how you play by a lot.

Apparently class balance sucks, but I’m not sure how much that matters if you aren’t doing Reaper.

I’m doing shield paladin now, but did a melee cleric first. 4x Lay Hands per rest solves most of my healing needs, and paladin feels better in actual combat.

Tried Arcane Archer ranger. Bows don’t feel that great to use.

I think I’m going to try quarterstaff rogue next, and then melee wizard or water sorc.

Not sure I’m going to touch the hardcore server. That closes around end of next month?

What level did you get to? Some classes spike early (favored soul at level 4 has access to a lightning bolt like SLA which seems to be the new hotness). However a lot of classes get most of their power at level 12 (at least in heroics).

Hardcore server closes in 1 month (November 15th). Please help me get my reaper cape, thank you.

This game is very solo friendly with the right build, and honestly the community is super nice generally so if you do decide you want to try grouping you’ll be pleasantly surprised. You just have to tell people you’re new or else they’ll blitz through content faster than you want to.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Well, tried to sign up off and on today but upon submitting my username and email and all that stuff I consistently get

This page isn’t workingsignup.ddo.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

on multiple browsers and multiple devices with varying user names, passwords, and email addresses.

Not sure what to do at this point. Disappointing.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Well, tried to sign up off and on today but upon submitting my username and email and all that stuff I consistently get

This page isn’t workingsignup.ddo.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

on multiple browsers and multiple devices with varying user names, passwords, and email addresses.

Not sure what to do at this point. Disappointing.

Not sure if it's different but have you tried signing up through steam?

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
You’d still need a ddo account and their sign up page is down lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Decided to give this a spin , not doing hardcore right now, leveling a ranger archer with a acid arrow build I found. What's the general way to push through the game? There doesnt seem to be a strong plot line or progression

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
This game came up in conversation with a friend the other day; I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it still exists! I kind of want to play again, although that's likely just the nostalgia talking. Are there still low level groups, or are all of the remaining players just soloing high level content with characters they've been min-maxing for 13 years?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

StashAugustine posted:

Decided to give this a spin , not doing hardcore right now, leveling a ranger archer with a acid arrow build I found. What's the general way to push through the game? There doesnt seem to be a strong plot line or progression

Open the Adventure Compendium and sort by Heroic level (since they just added epic level as a separate column woop) and then just work your way down the list. There are interconnected quests that form a chain and multiple chains that form a storyline (Waterworks being one of the first examples) but there's not an overarching 1-20(+) story. If you find yourself overleveling too hard and you're VIP you can try jumping straight to Hard or if you want to die to traps and :bang: you can go right to Elite :cheeky: That way you can figure out the quests you like and hate for when you're leveling an alt or doing true reincarnation.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

NeurosisHead posted:

This game came up in conversation with a friend the other day; I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it still exists! I kind of want to play again, although that's likely just the nostalgia talking. Are there still low level groups, or are all of the remaining players just soloing high level content with characters they've been min-maxing for 13 years?

I've come across a few low level groups. It was a pleasant surprise since I figured mostly everyone was still running their old characters with multiple reincarnations. I've been dabbling around with Keep on the Borderlands and so far I'm enjoying it. Even on the low level end of it, it's way more fun than Korthos Island for the bazillionth time.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I played for a couple weeks recently with a completely fresh character on a new server. The game was just as fun as I remember it being although I solo'd my way to the teens with an acid AA build and a hireling rather than grouping.

Groups are a lot more available in the Epic level ranges especially for daily runs as they added a daily bonus some time ago. Lots of people running epic PLs or iconic PLs.

I did stop playing because I lost patience for solo and couldn't get groups in the teens. If I had exactly one more person to play with consistently I may have kept at it but monster hp started outscaling my damage pretty hard and I had no past lives nor gear from past lives to keep up. Doable but things turned into a slow slog for fights.

Ddo is a cool and unique game with a lot of good things about it and the only real downside imo is getting groups. If I kept playing and fought through the slog part and got a few PLs under my belt it'd probably be fine though. I really like the game's incarnate system since it's basically NG+.

I agree wholeheartedly. This game is so unique and fun but when I play I can’t help but think how much better it’d be to play when it still had the population of a few years ago. Raids rarely fill on my server for example. Still, it’s cool there are rewards for rerolling.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I'm up to level 5 and enjoying it. Not sure what to do with the ingame currency, though. I see you get a trickle for completing quests. I'm okay with dropping some money here and there but don't want to have a subscription. I would like inventory space and bags, plus getting more adventures. The concerning thing is rogue hirelings which might be needed to solo stuff? It looks like some traps can be avoided but I don't know how it scales into endgame. I guess I should figure out how to group, which I'm okay with but the interface is impenetrable and the population is pretty thin.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
uh, hi

I used to play this game on argo for a few years straight around the time it went f2p. It's nice to see a new thread! Does anyone know how many bitter vets are still playing? Also, are rogues still the best class? :v:

Realtalk though, mostly I'm interested in if anyone's been playing the sharn expansion and if it's good. I haven't thought of the game much recently but I'd like to see some sharn content if it's decent quality.

StashAugustine posted:

So I'm up to level 5 and enjoying it. Not sure what to do with the ingame currency, though. I see you get a trickle for completing quests. I'm okay with dropping some money here and there but don't want to have a subscription.

When I still played, this game played incredibly well as a b2p player. Basically, you spend some cash, then buy adventure packs as they go on sale, which is pretty often I think? I think I spent a grand total of $60-80 in the long years I've played the game, and $30 of that was a brand new expasion, and had access to all the content available without having a sub.

As for locked doors/traps, past level 20 rogue hirelings are available for ingame gold I think? I honestly don't remember if you can get that far without one tho, I'm pretty sure there's quests you legit can't even finish without a good enough lockpick score, but I don't remember if any are important.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Figured I'd drop 20 bucks for the sale. What should I get as an absolute new player?

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Figured I'd drop 20 bucks for the sale. What should I get as an absolute new player?

I haven't been able to find the basic info on which packs are on sale (which is a lame thing that DDO does where you cant see what the prices are for things that you already have access to).
So this will depend a bit on what your goals are and if you are subscribing. Assuming if you are not subscribing, I'd suggest Delera's Tomb, Demon Sands, Ruins of Gianthold, and Vale of twilight as the primary packs as they will fairly easily get you to level 20. Alternate choice is Necropolis part 2.

Now, that being said, these are the older quests that provide the most exp. although some have been upgraded to also be epic quests. There are newer quests that may not be as exp lucrative, but will provide better loot. With all of the massive difference in scaling from normal to reaperX, I wouldn't worry too much about loot. if you want an item you can buy access if needed.

Another thing to consider is that black Friday is coming up soon, and historically the expansions go on significant discounts during that time. I would say that Underdark is mandatory to give you access to epic destiny, and that Ravenloft is a must because it is really awesome (and the loot is insanely good)

Edit- what server are you on?

Ghosts! fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 22, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ghosts! posted:

I haven't been able to find the basic info on which packs are on sale (which is a lame thing that DDO does where you cant see what the prices are for things that you already have access to).
So this will depend a bit on what your goals are and if you are subscribing. Assuming if you are not subscribing, I'd suggest Delera's Tomb, Demon Sands, Ruins of Gianthold, and Vale of twilight as the primary packs as they will fairly easily get you to level 20. Alternate choice is Necropolis part 2.

Now, that being said, these are the older quests that provide the most exp. although some have been upgraded to also be epic quests. There are newer quests that may not be as exp lucrative, but will provide better loot. With all of the massive difference in scaling from normal to reaperX, I wouldn't worry too much about loot. if you want an item you can buy access if needed.

Another thing to consider is that black Friday is coming up soon, and historically the expansions go on significant discounts during that time. I would say that Underdark is mandatory to give you access to epic destiny, and that Ravenloft is a must because it is really awesome (and the loot is insanely good)

Edit- what server are you on?

I'm on Cannith, I think the sale started? I dropped 20bux + a bit of stuff from favor. Neither Underdark nor Ravenloft seems to be on sale, though.

On a related note, how bad is it to find groups for high level stuff like raids these days?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I'm on Cannith, I think the sale started? I dropped 20bux + a bit of stuff from favor. Neither Underdark nor Ravenloft seems to be on sale, though.

On a related note, how bad is it to find groups for high level stuff like raids these days?

The old expansions go on sale around Christmas every year. Hope they'll finally include Ravenloft in the sale now that Sharn is out.

Don't buy Phiarlan Carnival, Attack on Stormreach, The Path of Inspiration or The Dreaming Dark, those are bundled with the better version of the Underdark expansion, which is a good value overall during the sale.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cool. I did get Gianthold as I was in a group where a vet wanted to do it. My acid archer ranger is coming along nicely but I might wait a bit until I get ravenloft since I'm at 14 now. Anyone have advice on rolling a swashbuckler? They look fun

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Have a swashbuckler leveling but man melee feels lovely at low levels, especially since my to-hit is garbage right now. Soon I'll be able to pick up the perk that lets you use shield mastery and single weapon mastery at the same time but it sucks getting there

I did a 12 barb 7 bard 1 favored soul swashbuckler life a few months ago and it was pretty powerful. Excellent damage, super tanky, just lots of short duration buffs to keep track of.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Got up to elites with an acid archer build and now I'm doing jack poo poo for damage. Still using the Barovian longbow since I haven't found anything better

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

The argo guild is still around but not by much and I currently hold the GM spot. My wife and I still play regularly, although thanks to work I'm gone for a day or 2 at a time oftentimes. If you need a guild invite in game mail obnopotamus and ill try to mail you an invite, guild is up to something like lvl 121 and I try to keep the oldschool resist shrines up in the hold.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Perpetual Notion posted:

The argo guild is still around but not by much and I currently hold the GM spot. My wife and I still play regularly, although thanks to work I'm gone for a day or 2 at a time oftentimes. If you need a guild invite in game mail obnopotamus and ill try to mail you an invite, guild is up to something like lvl 121 and I try to keep the oldschool resist shrines up in the hold.

Hey dude. I just came back to ddo (and Argo) after 7 years. My main was an artificer, Tyisha. Was happy to see a name I remembered in the recently played list. Looking forward to seeing you, or anyone else, online at some point. Enjoying leveling a warlock for now.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

welcome back man, the last couple expansions have been spot on so you're in for some good times.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How rigid is it with splashing other classes?

Trying to figure a good class combo for my first character. Ideally solo because none of my friends want in/I want to see the quest content. Was thinking Fighter/Rogue to help with traps, but researching when to pick up levels of alt class leads to hellish endless guides that don't help.

Is this rigid enough that if you splash at level 4 you miss out on the level 4 Fighters Feat? Or does it basically not matter.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

You need x levels in this class, not "your 4th level must be fighter"

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Rookersh posted:

How rigid is it with splashing other classes?

Trying to figure a good class combo for my first character. Ideally solo because none of my friends want in/I want to see the quest content. Was thinking Fighter/Rogue to help with traps, but researching when to pick up levels of alt class leads to hellish endless guides that don't help.

Is this rigid enough that if you splash at level 4 you miss out on the level 4 Fighters Feat? Or does it basically not matter.

From personal experience, if you're flying solo, you're going to want self healing. I'd do Barbarian/Rogue over Fighter/Rogue.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Depending entirely on your build you MIGHT need to take a specific class at a certain level just so you can squeeze the feats you want into the levels you have with the requirements they also have. Bonus feats for classes are at the number of levels you have in the class, not your character level though if that is what you are asking. For example if you have say a 4 fighter 16 cleric, you will get that bonus feat at 4 fighter even if you've gone say 3 cleric first and are character level 7.

Games fun, I have been off and on since release, sometimes more off than on, but in the last few years it's always been my game I return to.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Edit:

Where can I find some getting started resources? Apparently my account was created in 2010 and probably last played then.

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 17, 2020

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
I went looking for a decent starter guide but didn’t find anything anything comprehensive, and since you have played before a long time ago you know all of the really basic stuff. While there have been substantial changes and additions to the game over the years, the pace has been all that drastic so guides you may find from a few years ago are probably still valid.

Basic Guide to General Game Stuff

List of F2P Quests (scroll down)

These are useful for explaining the payment scheme and determining how much you want to spend. If you are just starting out (again) and want to see if you are interested in playing, the free content should easily get you to level 10 or so. It may be farther now as they have added additional free quests. Another option is to subscribe for a month to gain access to all non-expansion content as well. At level 10 you might want to consider getting the Ravenloft expansion as the quests are very good and the loot is great as well. And of course, you will still have access to any adventure packs you may have purchased in the past.

As far as classes go, they are all viable these days in the sense that any class can complete content solo. Some will do a better job than others but nothing is worthless. The balancing over the years has also boosted pure classes, so having 20 levels in whatever can be pretty beneficial. If you go looking for build guides, older ones might have somewhat outdated enhancements but the feat and stats should be pretty much the same.

One big thing to be aware of- they added an additional scaling difficulty past elite called Reaper. If you try to group with people, this is most likely the difficulty that they will run on. Reaper has different rules compared to elite, but over time you gain Reaper XP and get Reaper enhancement points to spend on various Reaper-only enhancements, eventually making it easier than elite at low Reaper difficulties. Just be prepared and let people know you are new to it and it should be fine.

If you have anything specific you would like to know just ask.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Apparently I have 444 DDO points and the record seems to show I got 250 in a single lump back in March of 2019? I know for a fact I haven't touched this game in like 8-9 years.

Is there somewhere I can go that shows me what I may have bought?

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
It looks like if you open the DDO store in-game, you can go to Account > Adventure Packs > Guest Passes and then any packs you can buy guest passes for are packs you have purchased. DDO was never very helpful in displaying this sort of info sadly.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Saxophone posted:

Apparently I have 444 DDO points and the record seems to show I got 250 in a single lump back in March of 2019? I know for a fact I haven't touched this game in like 8-9 years.

Is there somewhere I can go that shows me what I may have bought?

What worked for me was filtering the emails that came from DDO whenever a store purchase was made. The guest pass method wasn't 100% accurate; for some reason I could buy them for content I don't own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Or maybe it was related to this: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/503702-DDO-Post-Downtime-Events-Sales-Bonuses-and-FAQ-3-9-19