Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Looks like a 64bit client's in the works among other things.

https://www.ddo.com/en/news/look-ahead-producers-letter-january-2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Other good bits

• Feywild expansion (with level cap increase of some sort)
  • UI improvements for Shared Bank (sort/store/access, hopefully means TR cache too)
  • Feburary gets Delera's Tomb (and Catacombs) Epic + polish/refresh pass
  • and the Alchemist class

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

So what server should I play on if I want to join any goons?

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Saxophone posted:

Apparently I have 444 DDO points and the record seems to show I got 250 in a single lump back in March of 2019? I know for a fact I haven't touched this game in like 8-9 years.

Is there somewhere I can go that shows me what I may have bought?

OK, so you get DDO points for favor milestones as well, its something like 25 points for every 100 total favor earned with any faction (basically just running dungeons, higher the difficulty the higher the favor reward once per quest up to the highest difficulty completed) you also get bonus favor for certain milestones hit once per account per server period.
So basically say you get the various big milestones all the way up to 5000 total favor on khyber, you can repeat that on argonnessen and so on, but you only get those big bonus points once for each server. The ddowiki breaks down the milestones somewhere in their mess of info, try looking under favor, there are other rewards for favor milestones as well which are very nice (5000 total favor per character level also gets you a +5 or better tome of your choice I believe).
The smaller milestones (the 25 points per x favor) are repeatable once per character life so say you earn 5000 favor on your character you get all the small point rewards all the way up, you true reincarnate (epic TRs and lesser TRs dont count) your favor resets to 0 with the reroll of your character you can then earn all that favor over again for the small bonuses all the way up. This is no small amount ( 1250 points at 25 per 100 favor) and adds up quickly.
You also get 500 points a month for being VIP (monthly sub) as well at that sub unlocking all content (I think except for true expansions like ravenloft/sharn which are very much worth getting, and you can also buy for points now) as well as a 10% exp bonus, and some other goodies, I can't remember exactly what.

As far as knowing what you bought (like adventure packs, races, classes etc) the in game store will actually not display them if you already have them, including if you are VIP (you'll have to let your sub lapse before you can buy the adventure packs, but should still be able to buy expansions)

Damanation posted:

So what server should I play on if I want to join any goons?

The goon guild is currently on Argonnessen (order of the ten bux) I'm currently the leader, but just about anyone should have invite privileges, I haven't been on for about a week or so as I am not enjoying my current life and am waiting till alchemist goes live to reincarnate since the timing is too soon for me to be able to reincarnate and hit 20 again before launch. If you leave a message on the thread here with a character name I can log in and send you an invite via in game mail.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

Perpetual Notion posted:

OK, so you get DDO points for favor milestones as well, its something like 25 points for every 100 total favor earned with any faction (basically just running dungeons, higher the difficulty the higher the favor reward once per quest up to the highest difficulty completed) you also get bonus favor for certain milestones hit once per account per server period.
So basically say you get the various big milestones all the way up to 5000 total favor on khyber, you can repeat that on argonnessen and so on, but you only get those big bonus points once for each server. The ddowiki breaks down the milestones somewhere in their mess of info, try looking under favor, there are other rewards for favor milestones as well which are very nice (5000 total favor per character level also gets you a +5 or better tome of your choice I believe).
The smaller milestones (the 25 points per x favor) are repeatable once per character life so say you earn 5000 favor on your character you get all the small point rewards all the way up, you true reincarnate (epic TRs and lesser TRs dont count) your favor resets to 0 with the reroll of your character you can then earn all that favor over again for the small bonuses all the way up. This is no small amount ( 1250 points at 25 per 100 favor) and adds up quickly.
You also get 500 points a month for being VIP (monthly sub) as well at that sub unlocking all content (I think except for true expansions like ravenloft/sharn which are very much worth getting, and you can also buy for points now) as well as a 10% exp bonus, and some other goodies, I can't remember exactly what.

As far as knowing what you bought (like adventure packs, races, classes etc) the in game store will actually not display them if you already have them, including if you are VIP (you'll have to let your sub lapse before you can buy the adventure packs, but should still be able to buy expansions)

The goon guild is currently on Argonnessen (order of the ten bux) I'm currently the leader, but just about anyone should have invite privileges, I haven't been on for about a week or so as I am not enjoying my current life and am waiting till alchemist goes live to reincarnate since the timing is too soon for me to be able to reincarnate and hit 20 again before launch. If you leave a message on the thread here with a character name I can log in and send you an invite via in game mail.

Just logged on for the first time in 10 years. $34 to transfer my character to Argonnessen? Jesus H christ!

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I created a level 4 fighter named Damanation, I think the highest I ever played to was 7 though?

I don't suppose theres something like a discord? The ddo hard mode one seems pretty dead

Damanation fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 6, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I want to reinstall this but I know I'm going to spend 4 hours installing it then remember that my build sucks and I dont have the stuff to reincarnate

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I play on Thelanis, I wish they’d do a server merge. I really like this game and just imagine how great it would have been when it was more populated, had a thriving AH and build discussions, etc.

Also re: discord, there is a general DDO discord lots of players use that is worth joining. The community is pretty great.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
How hard is it to muster a raid group on Argo?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

when I briefly played last year i abandoned my argo chars and made some on Cannith and found a giant pub guild that was active at all times. it wasn't too bad but the sub-epic levels were still empty and i was largely soloing, and that's on the most populated server. apparently epic levels are bumpin' though and getting groups isn't bad then.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Bounced on and off of this game for years, but never made it further than level 10 or so. Think it might as well be time to try again for real: Made a Paladin on Argonessen named Juvadre, though I should probably get through Korthos for like the eleven billionth time first.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Lorem ipsum posted:

How hard is it to muster a raid group on Argo?

not too bad, there's a couple groups of guys who raid on a semi-regular basis, its a small community so you get to know who's who pretty quick.

Tsurupettan posted:

when I briefly played last year i abandoned my argo chars and made some on Cannith and found a giant pub guild that was active at all times. it wasn't too bad but the sub-epic levels were still empty and i was largely soloing, and that's on the most populated server. apparently epic levels are bumpin' though and getting groups isn't bad then.

that's because the level spread in epic levels is so much wider than heroic. Heroic you get basically a 2 level spread to group in and the quests xp generally isn't worth running them more than once for the first time bonus xp so people run a pretty tight leveling system to go to 20. Post 20 streak bonuses open up to 4 levels and you still get full xp no matter what your level vs the quests level is so say you have spies in the house which on epic nets you close to 100k exp for your first/second run of the day but is basically a lvl 20 quest. You can run that at lvl 28 and get just as much xp as you would at 20. Heroic wise you start taking massive xp hits whenever you are more than 2 levels above the base quest level, and dont get me started about streak bonuses and first time run bonuses which combined pretty much triple a quests xp but only once.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Perpetual Notion posted:

Heroic wise you start taking massive xp hits whenever you are more than 2 levels above the base quest level, and dont get me started about streak bonuses and first time run bonuses which combined pretty much triple a quests xp but only once.

I'm starting to really feel this now, and it makes the late-early/early-mid game kinda weird. Since i'm trying to complete all the Favor for quests for DDO points (and so run on Normal/Hard/Elite), i'm outgaining the xp content for a level just by doing all the previous content on Hard/Elite. This would be fine if I could ignore it, except from what I can see on the free quest list, there are going to be certain bottleneck levels where there's one (rapidly declining in efficiency) quest to farm over and over again as an F2P, so i'm tempted to save up to try and break past those blockades more effectively. This is compounded by there being a gold cap per level so i've ended up in this uncomfortable situation where I find the game practically screaming at me to level up even though it'll be costly in the long run.

EDIT: Also, Damanation's been wanting in, if nobody's gotten to that already.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 10, 2020

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
I just mailed a guild invite to Damanation.

DDO would probably benefit from re-evaluating the F2P experience, since expectations for that have significantly evolved from when the game first went F2P. It isn't really set up so that you can play for free for too long, and being limited to free quests gets pretty tedious once you hit level 10. I'd really recommend subbing for a month once you hit 10 or even earlier. This will solve a lot of the issues that you are running into such as removing the gold cap, removing favor bottlenecks, and having a lot more quests available to play.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001
If I bought the original game way back when in the oughts, will I need to buy more content if I want to jump back in to DDO now? Currently have a level 17 and a level 12 but havent played in over 10 years. I briefly looked at the DDO store and it looks like id be spending around :TenBux: times 11ty if I want to spend some coins on items/upgrades/content.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Jossar posted:

I'm starting to really feel this now, and it makes the late-early/early-mid game kinda weird. Since i'm trying to complete all the Favor for quests for DDO points (and so run on Normal/Hard/Elite), i'm outgaining the xp content for a level just by doing all the previous content on Hard/Elite. This would be fine if I could ignore it, except from what I can see on the free quest list, there are going to be certain bottleneck levels where there's one (rapidly declining in efficiency) quest to farm over and over again as an F2P, so i'm tempted to save up to try and break past those blockades more effectively. This is compounded by there being a gold cap per level so i've ended up in this uncomfortable situation where I find the game practically screaming at me to level up even though it'll be costly in the long run.

EDIT: Also, Damanation's been wanting in, if nobody's gotten to that already.

You also only gain favor for the highest difficulty completed, meaning you run it once on elite (or reaper which counts as elite) and you're done with that quest favor wise

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!

Jerry Garcia's Ghost posted:

If I bought the original game way back when in the oughts, will I need to buy more content if I want to jump back in to DDO now?

Yeah, you'll want mists of ravenloft at the very least. The quests are generally good xp and the items help a lot. I generally wear my fom boots from there till I level into my three barrel cove boots.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Game_Whino posted:

Yeah, you'll want mists of ravenloft at the very least. The quests are generally good xp and the items help a lot. I generally wear my fom boots from there till I level into my three barrel cove boots.

Or if you're really feeling froggy you can farm some from epic keep on the borderlands, min lvl 21 boots with i think speed 30/15, FOM, and featherfall all built in.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah but the Ravenloft ones are ML10 :aaaaa:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Flightfoot_Greaves

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

DDO Announcement.

Stuff is free until April 30th.

For Dungeons and Dragons Online:
  • All dungeons and raids, including those in expansion packs, are open to everyone through April 30.
  • The Buddy Bonus 5% XP will be active from March 20 through March 29. This will be in addition to the weekend events.
  • Mimic event will be active starting March 26 through April 6.
  • The anniversary event will be active starting March 26 through April 30.
For Lord of the Rings Online:
  • All quests, instances, and skirmishes, including those in expansion packs, are open to everyone through April 30.
  • The Curator will be returning starting March 26 through April 30.
  • There will be a 10% virtue XP boost starting on March 26 through April 6.
  • The Baggins' Birthday event will be available March 26 through April 6.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DemonMage posted:

DDO Announcement.

Stuff is free until April 30th.

For Dungeons and Dragons Online:
  • All dungeons and raids, including those in expansion packs, are open to everyone through April 30.
  • The Buddy Bonus 5% XP will be active from March 20 through March 29. This will be in addition to the weekend events.
  • Mimic event will be active starting March 26 through April 6.
  • The anniversary event will be active starting March 26 through April 30.
For Lord of the Rings Online:
  • All quests, instances, and skirmishes, including those in expansion packs, are open to everyone through April 30.
  • The Curator will be returning starting March 26 through April 30.
  • There will be a 10% virtue XP boost starting on March 26 through April 6.
  • The Baggins' Birthday event will be available March 26 through April 6.

Fun. Finally got to check out the last two expansions and some of the old adventures I'd never done.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I'm returning to this game after years of hiatus. I sent a request for an invite in-game. My character is named Valmart.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I'm hoping the next xpac is decent value unlike the past 2 xpacs. Was a diehard player until Ravenloft came out and the value was atrocious compared to the first 2. Still, gonna jump back into this while everything is free. Maybe pick up some stuff with the points I have remaining if it's worth it.

edit: I noticed I have enough points for one of the xpacs. Which is the "better" value. I.e. more fun content/better gear?

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 16, 2020

Ravenloft is way cooler and more fun. If you are speaking specifically for endgame, Sharn has more relevant gear. For heroics and TRs, Ravenloft has level 10 gear and Sharn is 15, so I find you get more mileage out of Ravenloft for 10-20 then change gear into epic levels.

I personally just do not like Sharn, I hate the setting and the music and the quests.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Been really enjoying the game again but by god does the lag get unplayable sometimes. Not sure if there are more people playing than they expected or the servers are just making GBS threads themselves for unrelated reasons.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Double post but, "Several changes to issues believed to be contributing to client and server performance issues have been made." Thank god. I hope they actually work.

Edit: Burned through the ravenloft stuff on heroic. Was really fun. Not sure about replayability on some of the quests since the mystery and first time experience was part of what made it so great. Also some of the quests are super long and meandering.

Looking forward to sharn once I get there. I'll probably run ravenloft a second time on hard in hopes of getting more items. Got basically none. Don't think I'm gonna waste too much time farming it though since will probably have to farm Sharn for some of the gear there.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 1, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thinking of reinstalling this to see if I can take advantage of the free stuff, but when I was last there I had a mid level bard who I'd hosed up the build on and a 20 ranger who was fun but woefully undergeared and also I didn't feel like grinding out a reincarnation. Does anyone have some pointers on where a fresh 20 can get gear so you don't spend 5 minutes plinking down a single enemy

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Are you a ranged ranger? Also, depends how badly you're geared. Maybe look at grabbing some baseline stuff off the auction house, just the various necessary attributes and whatnot. Also a lot of old characters got a 20 heart of wood depending on how long ago you quit. At the very least you might have a 0 heart of wood you can use to fix your build. There's a bunch of really good gear out of Sharn, I know it's like lvl 15 but a lot of that stuff you can use until you replace it with stuff from epics so it should give you a baseline to run off. Also it's new and free so it might be more fun than running old quests or challenges and stuff. Alternately, you could just do challenges and stuff to build some level 20 gear.

I'm probably not a great source cause I stopped playing a long time ago and have recently come back to run through the free content so my memories of the levels you're at are kinda crappy. Haven't gotten there on my new character yet and my old characters haven't been level 20 for ages. Usually "level 20" gear consisted of whatever good named items I picked up starting at about lvl 16 to random gen loot until I grabbed solid named stuff in epics.

Side note: Fire sorc has been a blast (heh). Just running through ravenloft a second time on hard and trying to get some more gear before jumping in to Sharn soon. Disciples of Rage was a pretty cool chain, too. Except for the quest with Brawnpits. gently caress that quest for taking like 15 runs across 2 characters to drop Wild Flame.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm doing the acid arrows stuff yeah. I've got a 20 Barovian Longbow but the rest of my gear is a hilarious mishmash including a level 2 ring. I do want to at least hit 1750 favor for the tome and then probably see about reincarnating.

(Also is there a goon guild or anything? I know its dead but I want the buffs)

Buy some stuff off of the AH or brokers to get you to 21, then do the keep on the borderlands quests. It’s amazing gear and pretty fast quests to farm. Will carry you to 30 easy. I have higher stats at 21 with it than I had at 30 on my first life when I started.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
If you're on Argo, yeah. I think it's called order of the tenbux? I usually play on khyber with my buddies.

Oof yeah that's pretty bad. Auction house to get some more current gear. Do the standard thing where you fill out the major stats, pick up some acid spellpower if you can since you're using acid arrows otherwise seeker, deadly, alacrity, etc. Obviously prioritize the worst things like the lvl 2 ring. Poke around the quest rewards from Sharn to see if there are things you'd like to get from there. Maybe look to run in a party if possible? You could also use challenges for some targeted gear but I'm not sure if the challenge gear holds up well anymore, though. Power creep is serious.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Okay I'm still dying all the time but I can get dragged through stuff and I've got some okay gear once I hit 25. Question about inventory: how much stuff do you keep? I've gotten pretty much all the free bags/tabs but I've still got 2 whole tabs of collectibles I'm not sure what to do with and my bank is full of whatever half-decent uniques I happened to find.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I'm literally the worst person to ask about inventory management. I hoard everything cause I have a billion alts. Do you plan on ever reincarnating? If not, ditch any named items that aren't for your class/build. I can't remember if the shared crafting tab comes default with your bank, but if it does, collectibles can fit there. Try and get a bigger collectibles and or ingredients bag. I'm assuming you're rolling with the medium bags you can buy from... phiarlan I think? Maybe you can grab huge/large collectibles/ingredients with free points when there's a sale on storage.

Side note: It's definitely a good idea to gear upwards if you can find groups to drag you through. No point spending time building out lower gear that you'd need to immediately replace if you could get a full new suite at level. If you were solo you'd obviously need to do it a different way.

edit: Alternate option is to find what collectibles are actually worth keeping and junk the rest.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 14, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Just got around to reincarnating for the first time and was pleasantly surprised that epic reincarnation is also a complete respec, which wasn't clear. I'm interested in the huge variety of builds and going 20-30 to try something sounds a lot better than 1-30.

E: I'm doing a barb next, but speaking of goofy builds is there any way to build a half orc into a divine class?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 21, 2020

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah this is why I always favored Iconic TRing because you could run 15-30 which I found more fun (being way too familiar with the 1-20 content) than doing 1-20 and epic reincarnation gets you a totally different set of bonuses. Plus you get to enjoy/level your Epic Destinies which are really fun to play with.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
No word on if they're extending the full f2p for another month. Seems like this is the end of the road vis a vis running all the new content. Fortunately got to experience most of it at heroic. Didn't get to do the borderlands stuff, though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Any recommendations for a fun Divine caster build? I'm gonna be on a third life for it but don't really have any of the account unlocks yet

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Is it just 1-20? I think Air Cleric is supposed to be good? As with a lot of other casters, you need to resort to DC casting in Epics or Reaper apparently.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Any recommendations for a fun Divine caster build? I'm gonna be on a third life for it but don't really have any of the account unlocks yet

divines make notoriously bad casters right now outside just straight healbots. They have fallen way behind the elemental/arcane/negative casters in both enhancements and gear. I just got done with an air cleric evoker life and never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Side note, Fire sorc is stupid strong in heroics. I've been running in a party of 3 and I fell bad for the melee. Literally just nuke and onehsot the whole group. I haven't even really been having mana problems despite being pretty unconservative in my casting. I'm not sure I really enjoy being a caster but anyone would enjoy absolutely annihilating everything.