Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I can't remember if I posted in this thread when it was last alive, but I will say that Spindrift makes the best seltzers out there, in large part because they use actual fruit juice instead of "essences" for the flavoring.

I am mad that they stopped making cucumber, though, and claim it is going to be a "seasonal" flavor now. It was far and away the best pre-made drink on the market.

They have a new blood orange tangerine flavor and I can't find it anywhere. Grapefruit is quite tasty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sneeing Emu posted:

They have a new blood orange tangerine flavor and I can't find it anywhere. Grapefruit is quite tasty though.

Their pineapple is good, and I like their raspberry lime. They made one or two really good cranberry flavors, but I haven't seen them in a while. Their plain lime is also good.

The stores here stopped carrying cucumber a year or more ago so I was paying through the nose to have it delivered straight from Spindrift, and then the fuckers discontinued it. I'm still angry at them for that.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

It's been awhile, thread.

I've been sampling some of the options at Uwajimaya, a Japanese grocery store chain.

Sanzo is an Asian-themed Spindrift; I'm not Orientalizing, the motto on the cans is "Traditional Asian flavors. Modern taste." It appears to be made in the far-off Asian country of Long Island, NY. Like Spindrift, it's lightly carbonated with a handful of calories (20ish), but not much sweetness. They're nice to change things up, but not something I'd drink regularly (especially since they cost like $2.79 a can).

The Calamansi flavor tastes like lime; pretty solid 7 out of 10.

The Mango flavor has a bit of... I don't know, bitterness to it? It's actually pretty good, really changes up the game from the usual sparkling water fair. 8 out of 10.

The Yuzu is gross. It's not the worst sparkling water I've ever had, but it' pretty bad; they added ginger to it in what I assume was an attempt to fix it, but I feel like it just made things worse. 3 out of 10.

The Lychee is the stand-out, a little sweeter than the rest, but a very refreshing feel. 8.5 out of 10.

A company called Ocean Bomb has released a series of Sailor-Moon-themed sparkling water. They're more in the traditional 0-calorie realm, similar to a LaCroix. So far I've only been able to get two flavors:

The Pomelo flavor (Sailor Moon) is maybe the worst sparkling water I've ever had. The Yuzu flavor from Sanzo benefits from this comparison greatly.

The Lychee (Chibi Moon, according to the Sailor Moon expert in the Seattle thread) is actually really tasty, and if it weren't five loving dollars a can and almost never in-stock (in fairness, they haven't been able to keep any of them in stock), would probably turn into a regular go-to for me.

Finally, LaCroix has come out with a cherry blossom flavor that tastes like cherry-flavored sparkling water mixed with coconut-flavored sparkling water mixed with the worst parts of a Red Bull (that, like, rear end flavor). My roommate likes them, and I'm glad he does because otherwise they would still be sitting in the refrigerator.

I appreciate you bumping this three year old thread lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Peggy Edson posted:

I'm a loving addict, and this is the official seltzer water thread as far as I can tell.

My local Safeway has cut back on their low-end generic house brand, in favor of their high-end generic house brand, Soleil. Prices have also increased dramatically.

It's not gas prices hitting my household hard, it's bubbly water prices. :negative:

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 27, 2022

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
lychee seltzer sounds like it could be really good, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I mostly drink Wegmans brand lemon-lime because it's cheap and good, they have a ton of flavors I haven't tried but I don't think lychee is one.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Peggy Edson posted:

Lol I couldn't believe it had been that long tbh

Hi yes bookmark only poster reporting in

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Tried the Sanzo Lychee again, and it's like a more refreshing, not-as-harsh Spindrift Raspberry Lime.

Also picked up some Aura Bora, which is an herbal seltzer water. They have four non-coconut flavors (I loving hate coconut): Cactus Rose, Lavender Cucumber, Basil Strawberry, and Peppermint Watermelon. With the exception of the Cactus Rose, they all taste substantially more of the herb than the fruit, and I only except Cactus Rose because I don't know what cactus tastes like (it is very floral, though). All are pretty good just to change things up, but nothing I'd do as a daily drink.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Topo Chico now has hint of lime and hint of grapefruit flavors, both pretty legit.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Just saw this thread, is there an acceptance here that seltzer is the best possible alternative to the "in a perfect world" situation of drinking all day while doing your difficult "life of the mind" work? I consume toms of lecroix/etc because my brain wants to drink interesting liquid 16 hours a day, which used to be soda as a kid, and would now be wheat/light beer if society was pro-alcoholic

I'm saying that SV startups chug seltzer because they feel low-class and nebulously guilty drinking beer all day (the best situation), and lie/cope with seltzer

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Pineapple mountain dew is a decent replacement for the discontinued pineapple janjerel

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Analytic Engine posted:

Just saw this thread, is there an acceptance here that seltzer is the best possible alternative to the "in a perfect world" situation of drinking all day while doing your difficult "life of the mind" work? I consume toms of lecroix/etc because my brain wants to drink interesting liquid 16 hours a day, which used to be soda as a kid, and would now be wheat/light beer if society was pro-alcoholic

I'm saying that SV startups chug seltzer because they feel low-class and nebulously guilty drinking beer all day (the best situation), and lie/cope with seltzer

NA beer has come a LONG way.

This one especially is legit, tastes just like a lawnmower beer.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

that Arnold Palmer Spindrift is the poo poo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've noticed Spindrift aggressively discounted in Safeway lately, and showing up in more grocery stores in general. It seems like they are expanding their market share, which I see as a good thing.

Although I'm still mad about them discontinuing cucumber as a flavor.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
TRADER JOES HAD SOME THAT WERE LIKE $4 FOR A 12ER IMMA DRILL A BUNCH TONIGHT sorry capslock

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I bought a sixer of this Origin seltzer that’s “sparkling” ie lightly carbonated and it’s very refreshing. A real chugger if you will.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Ham Equity posted:

I'm a loving addict, and this is the official seltzer water thread as far as I can tell.

My local Safeway has cut back on their low-end generic house brand, in favor of their high-end generic house brand, Soleil. Prices have also increased dramatically.

It's not gas prices hitting my household hard, it's bubbly water prices. :negative:

i hate that i have to buy more boxes now because all the 12 packs are down to 8. i guess i could drink less of the poo poo, but i haven't figured out how to do that yet :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Is it bad for your body to drink like 5 to 6 seltzer waters like LaCroix in a day because I go through cases of Lacroix a week

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nae posted:

i hate that i have to buy more boxes now because all the 12 packs are down to 8. i guess i could drink less of the poo poo, but i haven't figured out how to do that yet :(
I don't own a car, so I'm mostly buying LaCroix at like $4/8 pack at the local Japanese grocery. :negative:

Hollismason posted:

Is it bad for your body to drink like 5 to 6 seltzer waters like LaCroix in a day because I go through cases of Lacroix a week
Probably, but probably not anywhere near as bad as soda or diet soda.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Ham Equity posted:

I don't own a car, so I'm mostly buying LaCroix at like $4/8 pack at the local Japanese grocery. :negative:

Probably, but probably not anywhere near as bad as soda or diet soda.

I've honestly never read anything bad about it but it kind of makes me wonder.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

There's carbolic acid in it which isn't supposed to be great for your teeth, and if you're drinking something like Spindrift there can be other acids and maybe a little bit of sugar.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Hollismason posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9pnFd9MLCQ

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

:lmao:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Brolander posted:

vintage has great bubblefeel. honestly that's the most important thing. la croix has lovely little bubbles i refuse to drink it

came here to post this. the best seltzer is the kind that hurts you good when you drink it.

i can't find vintage since moving from Pennsylvania, so I settle for Soleil here in california, which is a good alternative but not quite on vintage's level

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ham Equity posted:

There's carbolic acid in it which isn't supposed to be great for your teeth, and if you're drinking something like Spindrift there can be other acids and maybe a little bit of sugar.

Carbonic acid, not carbolic; it's produced as a result of the introduction of carbon dioxide to the water. It is indeed pretty bad for your teeth, which means that, no, it's not a good idea to be drinking a bunch of carbonated water every day.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Timby posted:

Carbonic acid, not carbolic; it's produced as a result of the introduction of carbon dioxide to the water. It is indeed pretty bad for your teeth, which means that, no, it's not a good idea to be drinking a bunch of carbonated water every day.

Most of the stuff I find says it's fine. :shrug:

This is from the American Dental Association:

quote:

https://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/nutrition/food-tips/the-truth-about-sparkling-water-and-your-teeth

According to available research, sparkling water is generally fine for your teeth—and here's why. In a study using teeth that were removed as a part of treatment and donated for research, researchers tested to see whether sparkling water would attack tooth enamel more aggressively than regular lab water. The result? The two forms of water were about the same in their effects on tooth enamel. This finding suggests that, even though sparkling water is slightly more acidic than ordinary water, it's all just water to your teeth. 

They do say that it's possible citrus flavored ones are worse due to their higher acid levels but it doesn't sound like that was put to the test.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Copped the diet cream Dr pepper janjerel today its lit

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
ramlösa only

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Found a twelve pack of Waterloo Spiced Apple on sale at Whole Foods. Tastes kinda nutmeg-y. It's not bad, though I don't know if I'd buy it again.

I also got a fancy carbonator from a former co-worker I have yet to try out (an Aarke Carbonator 3). He swears by it, we'll see if it's an improvement over the SodaStream.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

JUST CRUSHIN A SIX PACK OF ORANGE BUBLY

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dunno when it hit, but the LaCroix Beach Plum legit tastes like a Hawaiian Punch-flavored sparkling water. 5/7, would highly recommend.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Official Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXnTbmPxv5g

*cracks open sparkling mineral water one after another after another and then does a huge burp while pissing pants*

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 3, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Trader Joe's has their own house brand of sparkling water now. The Winter Sangria tastes a lot like the LaCroix Beach Plum.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I like the mango Bubly

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the best sparkling water beverage is Aha Peach and Honey

case closed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Trader Joe's Blueberry Lemonade is thoroughly "meh." Definitely prefer the LaCroix lemon to it. Not terrible, but not worth going out of your way for.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

check out Aha im telling you not asking

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spindrift is the best even if they keep doing stupid stuff with what flavors are available.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Spindrift is good but it’s never on sale and $7 for an 8-pack is lmao

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

Brolander posted:

unflavored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

White lightning janjerel tastes like white monster without the caffeine I've had 3 today