Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I was also playing Mass Effect LE as I'd never played that before but uh, those biotic abilities hit like a cold egg noodle compared to launch. (still on ME1).

Can Remedy make a mass effect game? Seems like they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
remedy did play mass effect, that's where they got charge from

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Remedy should just make every game.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Evil Kit posted:

Health keeps you from being one shot, combine that with the mod that boosts the health recovery you get from drops and I coasted through the game. Also slamming Launch upgrades of course, Launch is just too good.

Love crunching possessed office workers with a desk, then the same desk again

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

Remedy should just make every game.

Remedy's Duke Nukem Forever

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I feel like seize gets underrated since people don’t realize that breaking LoS doesn’t stop the cast.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Love crunching possessed office workers with a desk, then the same desk again

spoken like true management

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Edmund Lava posted:

I feel like seize gets underrated since people don’t realize that breaking LoS doesn’t stop the cast.

Seize is definitely essential for the survival mode they added in AWE as well as Platform 2 during expeditions.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Seize is the secret answer to every difficult boss, the enemy AI is set to really go after each other. Your mindless Hiss slaves won’t do a lot of damage to Tommasi or the infected Ranger captains but they’ll distract them long enough for you to find health and line up big launches.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Also Seizing a heal orb gives you constant regen, and completely negates the health drain on other Seized enemies until the orb dies.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I've used Sieze every now and then just for the sake of variety, but I never felt it was an actual better choice then using killing dudes. It definitely has a use, but I wouldn't call it essential.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I just throw things at the enemy until I run out of mana and then shoot it with my pistol until I can throw more stuff. No part of this game requires deeper though than that.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe not, but you can do all kinds of tactical bullshit if you want to

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Upgrading Launch is almost a trap because it's so powerful that you really, really don't need any other powers. When you can just chuck file folders and desk chairs at every single enemy in the game and own them it takes away the incentive to experiment. Not that the non-Launch powers are very good (except Seize I guess? Literally never use it but other people say it's good) but still, once you lock in on Launch there's no reason to try anything else.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

God drat, I forgot how good most of the fights in this game are. For my middle-aged dude reflexes, I may die a couple of times to waves of Hiss spawning in, but it's always a close loss, so I jump back in willing to give it another try. When I finally come out on top, the environment is totally destroyed, health and loot are scattered everywhere, and my hands are sweating from the tension. Great game.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I’m case you’re reading this thread and somehow don’t own this game already, it’s free for the next ~24 hours on the Epic Game Store.

I’ve been catching up on this thread from the very beginning for the past 6 months or so, now it’s back to page 97 for me :)

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Hello thread, I've finally gotten around to playing this game and I just want to say, the 2nd Tommasi fight is straight up bullshit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Keep the big thing in the middle between you and Tommasi and make liberal use of Shield which even un-upgraded will completely protect against a single screamer attack.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Playing this game for the first time. Figured I should go get the DLC weapon form now that A Dark Place has become available, so I can use it through the rest of the main game. It quickly became apparent that this is heavily tied to Alan Wake. Don’t think I want to stop playing this and pay $30 to play a game I was never that interested in, but it seems like it might be more enjoyable if you know what happened.

Should I:
-Watch a summary of Alan Wake? If so, is there one you’d recommend?
-Just play the DLC anyways and maaaaybe play Alan Wake some other time?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really like Alan Wake and American Nightmare but I think at least the original game is pretty divisive? I think you'd understand the DLC well enough without playing the game for now if you don't want to stop. Alan Wake really works if you kinda treat it like watching a TV show, playing only an episode or two at a time. Especially since it has "recaps" in between.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alan Wake is very repetitive and simple that makes it very divisive so its hard to recommend delaying control over when thats universally liked, and his writing showing up in Control is the lowlight of the game. There are a couple if small jokes in his DLC youd miss but you don't really need to play Alan Wake to get the gimmick.

If you absolutely need to play more remedy consider getting it afterwards.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pretty sure both Alan Wake's are on Gamepass. Very much agree that the gameplay sucks, you get tired of 'point flashlight shoot gun' before you're done your first combat scene.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Alan wake is a bad game and the aw dlc for control is only really held up by the non aw related bits like the alien that came back from the moon and stuff. if you're not into it just go back to the main game and watch the final cutscene for the dlc on YouTube or something, it's just a quick peek at Alan wake 2 anyways

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I genuinely feel like the Alan Wale stuff super sucks in Control and I really hate making it a shared universe TBH. Would trade the whole DLC to have my Astral Dive Kojima armor back :negative:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I genuinely feel like the Alan Wale stuff super sucks in Control and I really hate making it a shared universe TBH. Would trade the whole DLC to have my Astral Dive Kojima armor back :negative:

Id trade the entire DLC for nothing at all, I do not like Alan Wake's narrative and it touching Control is bad

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

The implication there that Wake literally wrote Jesse into existence just so she could free him from shadow prison drives me up a wall and I hope it's ignored in future games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't mind that it's a shared universe, I do mind that they seem to have reduced the entirety of Control to a subplot/temporary detour in what is still primarily Alan Wake's story

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I'd happily play a crossover where jessie locks alan wake in a cell in the panopticon :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

haveblue posted:

I don't mind that it's a shared universe, I do mind that they seem to have reduced the entirety of Control to a subplot/temporary detour in what is still primarily Alan Wake's story

It drives me crazier than that because A) Alan Wake isn't even the author of his own story and b) the base game already retconned Alan Wake's plot slightly so its a convolution uroboros all in service of making Alan Wake the star

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I like Alan Wake on its own, and the idea of all this weirdo stuff happening in the same universe and being somewhat connected is cool. But the way it relates to Jesse? Nah. Just lol, that was a majorly bad creative decision. Really hope they back off on that stuff in Alan Wake 2

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t interpret it that way at all. Alan Wake doesn’t create Jesse or write her into being, he was just a powerful enough altered entity that even trapped in the shadow realm he could reach out like a distress beacon and a powerful receiver like Jesse is the unfortunate sap who has the deal with it because his mojo locked on to her mojo. If there is a report or phone call that makes it clearer what’s going between them that I haven’t found or unlocked it.

runchild
May 26, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Pretty sure both Alan Wake's are on Gamepass. Very much agree that the gameplay sucks, you get tired of 'point flashlight shoot gun' before you're done your first combat scene.

Thanks for the input everybody, I went ahead and watched a summary video and proceeded with the DLC. Story seemed goofy but inoffensive so I’ll have to remember to come back and check all these spoilered opinions after I beat the full game.

^If it’s all about that last post I already encountered that, the first Hotline message you get prompting you to start the DLC basically says that, and I got the same impression from it that Bust Rodd did.

runchild fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 8, 2022

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t interpret it that way at all. Alan Wake doesn’t create Jesse or write her into being, he was just a powerful enough altered entity that even trapped in the shadow realm he could reach out like a distress beacon and a powerful receiver like Jesse is the unfortunate sap who has the deal with it because his mojo locked on to her mojo. If there is a report or phone call that makes it clearer what’s going between them that I haven’t found or unlocked it.

This. I really love both games and the AWE DLC, though I will say that Control is a much better game out of the two overall. But I definitely have a soft spot for my dumb goofy wannabe Stephen King

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
when you are done with the game, check all the weird theories from Youtube. My favourite is Gaming Univeristy's take

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpxGcAs6OTOTh_fG3BOb4hkZgwV-lPRwq

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

haveblue posted:

I can't see Wake creating Jesse or the FBC because that would also require him to create the Hiss, which would be an entity that's a significantly greater threat than the Dark Presence. Maybe Wake is or isn't a great author, but that's suicidally bad writing there. Besides, the writing requires some plausible basis in reality, and if you're going to write about that level of nonsense, it had better already exist.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wake is a bad writer even in his own game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Weird Sandwich posted:

Hello thread, I've finally gotten around to playing this game and I just want to say, the 2nd Tommasi fight is straight up bullshit.

True. Even I, the resident 'experiment with how Launch works, lol. No one's impossible to hit with it' poster still think that fight sucks.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Holy moly the final boss fight of the AWE DLC sucks poo poo through a straw.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

site posted:

wake is a bad writer even in his own game

He really is. And he's arguably not even the original writer in his world

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Alan Wake is good, sorry. Control is a better game overall, but all this whining about how Alan Wake sucks is kind of lame.

Alan Wake, as a person, though? He sucks.