Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I love Control and Alan Wake but I turned on one-hit kill for the AWE DLC and didn't regret it for one minute. It was not a very good play experience overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't remember the boss fight being that bad, but by the time I had got to AWE I was pretty overpowered anyway, if I recall.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Alan Wake uses Energizer batteries, and Verizon cell phones.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not in the remaster :(

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's like how Sam Porter Bridges doesn't drink Monster anymore.

Alan Wake (the videogame) has a fun core loop, but it runs out of ideas before the game is over.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wonder if the two DLC were developed by slightly different teams or something because the way Jesse’s Shield rush move completely breaks the AWE final boss fight and just stun locks him out of all his attacks feels unintentional

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I would believe that because the Foundation DLC seemed to have a much better understanding of good combat compared to the base game, while the combat in the AWE DLC was worse than the base game.

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

Definitely feel like different teams with Foundation being more of the same (great) combat. AWE seemed as if it’s just a vehicle to reintroduce Alan Wake and see if anyone even cares about this dude.

I liked that DLC quite a bit!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

haveblue posted:

Not in the remaster :(

I was so mad about this

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Highlight of AWE: Fra is the best character in the whole game.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I thought I'd have a look at Control on Gamepass on my new PC having played it on PS4.

Goddamn, I 'd heard people say it before, but it really does look so much better and smoother on a decent PC compared to the console.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

So I thought I'd have a look at Control on Gamepass on my new PC having played it on PS4.

Goddamn, I 'd heard people say it before, but it really does look so much better and smoother on a decent PC compared to the console.

The last gen version is not good at all. 60FPS Uber Alles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
30fps,with ray tracing. Which is still better than last-gen because it's a more consistent 30 and doesn't have that weird pop when you come out of the menu

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I played through Ultimate on PS5 with RTX enabled and I didn’t miss the frames at all, but I did spook myself a bunch with cool reflections in spooky dark hallways. That alone is worth sacrificing imaginary performance I don’t really notice that I am missing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I turned on ray tracing and within seconds had to turn it off, I could not go back to 30.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I want it all, that's why I PC.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I’m confused by the Base Camp location in the Foundation. It’s marked on the map but it doesn’t really seem to exist. It says you’re in it when you’re in between the Fractured Cavern and the Collapsed Department, but that little transition area doesn’t amount to much of anything. Is it just a fake out so that they can send you there for a ritual without revealing the Collapsed Department?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
For anyone who hasn’t checked out Severance on Apple+, the first episode is giving me some serious Control vibes. Lots of brutalist architecture crossed with depressingly outdated offices, a ton of mystery and plenty of existentialism to go around

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Severance is pretty good, it's worth checking out!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thanks for the rec. I watched the first two episodes and yeah this is definitely “creepy and atmospheric psychological horror about workplace ennui” and fits perfectly with this game

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/1511808969165185035

It's using the Northlight engine from Control.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Deviant posted:

I was curious about this. gently caress yeah.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, I’ve gone through this game plus the 2 dlc in about a week. So much fun! I love the Bureau’s aesthetic! Emily may be one of my favourite video game characters now.

I was a little put off that one of the dlc was essentially a sequel to a game I haven’t played, but it was still decent. I just felt like I was missing most of the story a lot of the time.

I’m trying to get the cat statues in Foundation, but I can’t seem to melee the Hiss rocks in the elevator no matter what I do. :confused:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That one is just titchy timing, memorize the sequence and keep trying :/

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

I was a little put off that one of the dlc was essentially a sequel to a game I haven’t played, but it was still decent. I just felt like I was missing most of the story a lot of the time.

I've said it a bunch before, but Alan Wake is great. The combat isn't quite as good as Control but the story is 100% pure Remedy. It's framed as a six episode (plus two specials for the DLC) Stephen King TV show each with a "previously on" segment. Alan's a pretty flawed but entertaining protagonist.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

haveblue posted:

That one is just titchy timing, memorize the sequence and keep trying :/

You can stop the lift, and even with it in front of me, it won’t do, although that’s probably not in the exact spot it wants or something.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Deviant posted:

I can't wait for the ultra hi res scan of Sam Lake's gurning face

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Party Boat posted:

I can't wait for the ultra hi res scan of Sam Lake's gurning face

Interesting point, are we going to get the proper Max look back or are they going to stick with his inferior MP2 appearance?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Interesting point, are we going to get the proper Max look back or are they going to stick with his inferior MP2 appearance?

I hope they base his model off (young) Sam Lake for both games; I feel like everyone would prefer that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lords and Ladies is going to be amazing in HD and full motion.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am ready to have my mind completely loving blown by bullet time again

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
BABY CRY NIGHTMARE PATHWAY MAZE HD

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Just finished it about twenty minutes ago. Great game! I had so much fun!

Especially after trying to play it on PS4 and abandoning it due to terrible performance. I just got a new card a few weeks ago and it runs so smooth now!

Such a great game! I love Jesse and Emily and the whole cast! It's a nice break after some ninety hours of Elden Ring when fatigue sets in.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
So, how many games have Remedy announced that they're working on now? The Control-based multiplayer co-op game, Untitled Control Sequel, Alan Wake II, and now two Max Paynes?

I mean, I'm definitely looking forward to one of those games.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
They'll be able to do it, because they're all actually the same game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Weird Sandwich posted:

They'll be able to do it, because they're all actually the same game.

Now I’m just imagining Jesse and Emily shutting down games as AWEs like the cops at the end of Monty python’s holy grail.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jesse and Max would definitely get along if the only things they said were their internal monologues.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL I just had a fit of giggles imagining Max doing an internal monologue and Jesse responding to it and Max realizing that all his internal noir monologues were actually just short-range telepathy the whole time

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

[very jesse faden voice]:

quote:

So I guess I'd become what they wanted me to be, a killer. Some rent-a-clown with a gun who puts holes in other bad guys. Well that's what they had paid for, so in the end that's what they got. Say what you want about Americans but we understand capitalism. You buy yourself a product and you get what you pay for, and these chumps had paid for some angry gringo without the sensibilities to know right from wrong. Here I was about to execute this poor bastard like some dime store angel of death and I realized they were correct, I wouldn't know right from wrong if one of them was helping the poor and the other was banging my sister...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every time i read lines from max payne 3 i just heave a sigh internally