Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DangerDongs posted:

So pretty sure R/G werewolves is going to be gas. Just threw a list together with what I have without fully fleshing out the rares and it's mean.

You still get Den of the bugbear and Faceless Haven coupled with cheap 1 mana removal.

Post that poo poo! Probably gonna at least burn through my draft tokens before I look at putting anything constructed together, but I'm curious about what people are playing. Doesn't seem like the deck tracker sites have enough data for anything yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Super rough. I want to work in Shatterskull smashing, but I'm afraid I'll lose too much snow.

4 Werewolf Pack Leader (AFR) 211
8 Snow-Covered Forest (KHM) 285
4 Ranger Class (AFR) 202
1 Hound Tamer (MID) 187
1 Primal Adversary (MID) 194
1 Varis, Silverymoon Ranger (AFR) 209
3 Sarulf's Packmate (KHM) 192
4 Kessig Naturalist (MID) 231
6 Snow-Covered Mountain (KHM) 283
3 Tovolar, Dire Overlord (MID) 246
2 Arlinn, the Pack's Hope (MID) 211
4 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261
2 Den of the Bugbear (AFR) 254
4 Faceless Haven (KHM) 255
4 Frost Bite (KHM) 138
4 Play with Fire (MID) 154
1 Roil Eruption (ZNR) 155
4 Reckless Stormseeker (MID) 157

This would be with the full rares. I was playing without Reckless Stormseeker (probably going to be the best card in the deck), and the deck was working fine.
Granted this is playing against everyone else's brand new jank.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Thanks! That looks fun. Yeah I would be shocked if Stormseeker is something you'd regret spending a few wildcards on, but I know it's impossible to tell at this point.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/1438609890038231050?s=21

I don’t play the game so I don’t have an opinion on whether a certain amount of Mythics is bad or not, but twenty distinct mythics seems a bit high.

That said, MtG also only has four rarities. Digimon, for example, typically has between ten and twelve Super Rares (the Mythic equivalent, you maybe get six or seven in a box, I could be wrong here) but it also has 2-3 Secret Rares, which you pull at a little less than one per box. These rarities and pull rates seem to largely be the industry standard for Japanese games.

Is having more individual Mythic/Super Rare but no 1-per-box type rarities equivalent, in your opinion?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

thetoughestbean posted:

https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/1438609890038231050?s=21

I don’t play the game so I don’t have an opinion on whether a certain amount of Mythics is bad or not, but twenty distinct mythics seems a bit high.

That said, MtG also only has four rarities. Digimon, for example, typically has between ten and twelve Super Rares (the Mythic equivalent, you maybe get six or seven in a box, I could be wrong here) but it also has 2-3 Secret Rares, which you pull at a little less than one per box. These rarities and pull rates seem to largely be the industry standard for Japanese games.

Is having more individual Mythic/Super Rare but no 1-per-box type rarities equivalent, in your opinion?

Are Digimon rates like Yugioh rates where they’re one card at several rarities/appearances in the same set?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Traditionally DFC sets had more rare/mythics than "regular" sets did, since you have the regular R/M sheet plus the rare/mythics on the DFC sheet - essentially there were still only 15 regular mythics, and another 5 mythics that could appear in your DFC slot.

The big change is that they've changed the collation so you don't have a DFC slot any more, the DFC rares and mythics just dilute the regular rare/mythic pool. This does mean more packs sold for every copy of a given rare/mythic opened.

And also whatever the heck is going on with AFR, which has 20 mythics even though there's no DFC gimmick at all. That's the clearest sign that 20 is going to be the new normal.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
More mythic rares means more Planeswalkers. MID has 3. AFR has 5, STX has 4, KHM has 4, ZNR has 3, you know. Planeswalkers.

Can you believe FRF only had one? Pathetic.

More mythic rares also means more mythic rare dragons, mythic rare cycles, and mythic rare dragon cycles. I am surprised there aren't more dragon Planeswalkers so that they can make mythic rare dragon Planeswalker cycles.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

They're going to come after you for leaking the return to tarkir plans like that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Edit: nvm, remembered there's a Commander thread

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

boy if yall were sick of Temur Adventures I can already tell werewolves is the next "every card is good on its own and also has synergy with everything" deck that is literally pre-built, it's just "all the gruul rares" and it is dumb.
it has interaction, card draw, honkin' chonkers up and down the curve, and a trivially easy "drawback" (take one turn off) on its cost reduction mechanic (also the 4 drop gives your dudes flash so it's no longer a drawback)

I am aware that aggro is always good right after rotation but this deck is a buzz saw that refills its hand and keeps going

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 17, 2021

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Time to build Esper All The Removal Control I guess

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Well, that's a card ruined in my head now.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

the Orb of Zot posted:

Grixis seems to be better at it so far.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Yeah, I noticed this right away and I hate playing that card because of it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i think he has a pretty good case that they used his likeness

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I dont know who that is

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Grixis seems to be better at it so far.

Doomskar will never be good, will it

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

I dont know who that is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I dont know who that is

you've not been on a boat?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Strong Sauce posted:

I'm gonna throw this post on the ground

maaaaaaaaan

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Strong Sauce posted:

oh no they stole his vitality

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I dont know who that is

It’s Captain Jack Sparrow, the jester of tortuga

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's not new though, right? On Arena I'm regularly playing against Elderly Michele Pfeiffer (as Jaya)?

I guess that's more of a "looks a lot like her" rather than "painted over a photocopy of his face" like the one you guys are talking about

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 17, 2021

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shrecknet posted:

boy if yall were sick of Temur Adventures I can already tell werewolves is the next "every card is good on its own and also has synergy with everything" deck that is literally pre-built, it's just "all the gruul rares" and it is dumb.
it has interaction, card draw, honkin' chonkers up and down the curve, and a trivially easy "drawback" (take one turn off) on its cost reduction mechanic (also the 4 drop gives your dudes flash so it's no longer a drawback)

I am aware that aggro is always good right after rotation but this deck is a buzz saw that refills its hand and keeps going

I wonder if it has legs in Historic, might be enough to give traditional Gruul Cleave decks a shot in the arm.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Oh. Sorry nerdy white guys all look alike to me

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Strong Sauce posted:

When is the justin timberlake mashup card?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

the Orb of Zot posted:

This is all I've been up against since building werewolves!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

4-3 rakdos vampire agro
6-3 orzhov humans sacrifice with jeren
1-3 sultai pack 2 double tovolor's huntsmaster swing
6-3 naya midrange agro with 2 trackers and angelfire ignition
7-2 orzhov humans sacrifice again with mask of griselbrand

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

the Orb of Zot posted:

Doomskar will never be good, will it

Why would it? It costs 5 and its only upside is getting to split the payment by telling your opponent you have Doomskar.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s Captain Jack Sparrow, the jester of tortuga

He’s the pauper of the surf!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm never, ever using any plains other than Spooky Innistrad Pumpkin plains

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Does anyone know the video where its a show and tell mirror match and in round 2 they sideboard out the show and tells and they end up hard casting creatures for the win? I think it was a japanese tournament. Arigato🙏

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lord_Magmar posted:

Are Digimon rates like Yugioh rates where they’re one card at several rarities/appearances in the same set?

Yes and no: there’s alternate art cards that occasionally fill the same slot (a super rare is occasionally the alternate art version, etc) but there’s no extra foiling super starlight rare versions of cards. A super rare will always be a super rare

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Which of these links should be removed, and are there any that should be added?

quote:

RESOURCES

USEFUL LINKS

DailyMTG.com: The official page for Magic is updated every weekday with articles from some of the most well-known people related to the game, from rules managers to Pro players to the people who make the cards you play with. You can also find tournament locations near you and information about upcoming sets.

EDHREC: A great tool for Commander/EDH players. Get suggestions based on whatever you want to play in the format!

Scryfall: The best and most comprehensive search engine for Magic cards.

MTG Goldfish: Another metagame analysis site. Very comprehensive!

DeckStats.net: Type in your decklist and get details on your curve, draw sample hands, etc.

Gatherer: The official online database of every card ever printed, with up to date Oracle text, rulings, etc.

MTGTop8.com: A listing of the top decks from various tournaments, broken down by format. A must-use if you want to follow the shifting metagame.

ChannelFireball.com: Luis Scott-Vargas, one of the most celebrated Magic players of all time, writes strategy articles for this blog/online store. Like StarCityGames or any of the other online stores/blogs, it hosts high prices and high-value strategy articles - though unlike SCG.com, the strategy is free.

CranialInsertion.com: A weekly rules article with answers to questions submitted by players. This is the rules article that was previously on MTGSalvation.

Good Games Live: Live coverage of non-WotC big tournaments.

Magic-League.com: If you want to play in online leagues without paying for Magic Online, this is the place to look. Magic-League has thousands of players, so finding a game should never be a problem.

MagicCards.info: Faster than Gatherer, with a proxy printing feature, a search for prices on major online card stores, etc. If you're looking for accurate Oracle text and/or rulings, I'd still trust the official Gatherer over this, but many players use this for its other features.

MTGSalvation.com: MTGSalvation is widely known as the source for all new-set spoilers, keeping the most up-to-date source of new rumors and spoiled cards in the weeks leading up to a new set's release.

MTG The Source: What The Mana Drain is to Vintage, this is to Legacy.

StarCityGames.com: SCG is first and foremost a web store, selling not only cards but play knowledge as well. Their webpage hosts articles from the most prolific players involved in the metagame, with some articles being free and others requiring a paid membership to their site.

TheManaDrain.com: One of the premier sources for Vintage information on the internet, TMD is a forum to discuss Vintage strategy and find events.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

magiccards.info no longer exists (absorbed by scryfall)

Autocard anywhere is a vital chrome plugin

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

https://www.moxfield.com should be added. It’s a deck building site with a very clean and friendly interface. It’ll also automatically generate commander deck recommendations based on EDHrec.com

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Which of these links should be removed, and are there any that should be added?

MTGSalvation isn't the go-to for new spoilers anymore, I should change it. That honor probably goes to MTGGoldfish or Reddit. WotC is mostly better about controlling actual leaks, and previews are scattered around everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LifeLynx posted:

MTGSalvation isn't the go-to for new spoilers anymore, I should change it. That honor probably goes to MTGGoldfish or Reddit. WotC is mostly better about controlling actual leaks, and previews are scattered around everywhere.

Mythic spoiler would be my vote