Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Cynic Jester posted:

This is some next level trolling.

This wouldn't pass at an event, a judge would shut that poo poo down.

quote:

Artistic modifications are acceptable in sanctioned tournaments, provided that the modifications do not make the card art unrecognizable.....The Head Judge is the final authority on acceptable cards for a tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Post new Stoneforge builds, I’m so excited the card is legal!

I'm still working on a solid 75 but I'm toying with Mardu Stoneblade and lowkey I think Dreadhorde Arcanist is going to be a real choice target to slap a sword or Bskull on

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Typhus733 posted:

I'm still working on a solid 75 but I'm toying with Mardu Stoneblade and lowkey I think Dreadhorde Arcanist is going to be a real choice target to slap a sword or Bskull on

Gimme that trample sword damage

This is a wild time for Modern and I love it

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lone Goat posted:

I'm listening to Arena Decklists pod and Gerry Thompson is taking about an article he's working on that will have like 30 sfm decks but I'm not sure if it's out yet

1. White weenie but with SFM + Batterskull

30. Storm but with SFM + Batterskull

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gimme that trample sword damage

This is a wild time for Modern and I love it

Why yes, I will flashback a k command with my Arcanist...

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Sampatrick posted:

If you only apologize months after the issues crop up and only when you get called out on it while trying to move into a new business, it undermines the idea that you are remotely authentic in your apology. Owen didn't apologize and come clean when he was first called out for being a sex pest. He only 'apologized' and came clean when he realized that people still remembered that he was a sex pest. This is not a real apology.

Public apologies are always bullshit and done for the primary reason of getting people to leave you alone. That's why the best move is to never do them. He should have trucked on until people got tired of talking about him and moved on to other things.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Sampatrick posted:

If you only apologize months after the issues crop up and only when you get called out on it while trying to move into a new business, it undermines the idea that you are remotely authentic in your apology. Owen didn't apologize and come clean when he was first called out for being a sex pest. He only 'apologized' and came clean when he realized that people still remembered that he was a sex pest. This is not a real apology.

Not to defend a poo poo head, but as a former (recovering?) poo poo head, i would like to say that the epiphany of "oh, I'M THE poo poo HEAD?!?" doesn't always line up with when everyone calls you a poo poo head.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-beta-august-29-2019#Historic

This probably makes it hard to move historic into paper

quote:

Starting in November, we plan to add new cards to MTG Arena from across Magic's history for play in Historic formats and events. No restrictions on set, types, or rarities, no-holds-barred new. We also plan to do this regularly, starting with approximately 15–20 cards in November, with a reoccurring goal of adding more new cards every quarter after that. These cards will mostly come out independent of Standard sets (and we'll get to that in second).

Also lamo

quote:

It's a difficult problem to tackle, but to do so, we're changing how Wildcards work for Historic cards. Starting after an update in November, crafting a Historic card will require you to redeem two Wildcards of the appropriate rarity instead of one. If a Historic card also appears in a current Standard set, players will be able to redeem one Wildcard for one copy of the Standard version, however, the Historic version will still require two.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That seems incredibly dumb and it’ll probably get reversed in two weeks

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

We're creating a new format that you can use all your old cards in, if you don't get those cards before November they are twice as expensive.

Apparently non-rotating formats being expensive is a feature rather than a bug.

Edit: lmao the cards introduced specifically for this format get in at the same time as the 2:1 goes into effect, so you're paying double for the staples anyway. Hope you enjoy trading in 160 wildcards every quarter for a format that might not catch on.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 29, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wow that loving blows.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

quote:

Of all the criteria we set, bullet point #3 was probably the trickiest to navigate. We want to ensure that players new to Magic can still learn the ropes and start their collection through Standard and Draft as the primary methods of play, with Historic available to seasoned players looking to explore more of Magic's rich history. But we also needed to look at the long-term impact Historic would have on MTG Arena as a whole, as we move toward supporting it as a true non-rotating format.

It's a difficult problem to tackle, but to do so, we're changing how Wildcards work for Historic cards. Starting after an update in November, crafting a Historic card will require you to redeem two Wildcards of the appropriate rarity instead of one. If a Historic card also appears in a current Standard set, players will be able to redeem one Wildcard for one copy of the Standard version, however, the Historic version will still require two.

To give players some lead time on the transition, we're not going to make this change until November, giving players time to craft any Historic cards at the current 1:1 rate.

WOOOOOOOOOOOW screw this.

"THE HISTORIC VERSION"??? Are you KIDDING me?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Booooo you dumbasses

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Adding cards randomly means you have to burn wildcards too since there won't be any packs to get them from otherwise. Such a bad system.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have not spent one red cent on Arena. I will continue not to spend any money or time on Arena.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Everytime they come up with something that draws me toward Arena, they shoot themselves in the feet.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
You thought it was annoying having to burn 4 rare wildcards on a set of lands, what if it took 8 instead :thunk:

They also say you will not be able to buy single packs of historic sets. They will only be in the 45 pack bundles so you can’t even realistically build a historic collection with gold.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
They really do just want everyone to play standard

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I assume soon they'll tell us we can buy extra wildcards with gems, so....

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

lmaoing imagining them extending this principle to paper. Now you need two copies of any card you want to play. Put them in the same sleeve. You better believe during deck checks judges will be making sure you didn’t sleeve your four Stoneforge mystics on top of four draft commons to sneak them through!!!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sounds like the problem stems from being stuck with integers of wildcards for card acquisition, but doubling the price is unreasonable. Maybe they could use coins (or whatever the arena currency is) on top of a single wildcard?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Why is it necessary for historic cards to be more expensive than other cards

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

So people don’t play historic

https://twitter.com/mtg_arena/status/1167124588951527431?s=21

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'm guessing it's because you can get more mileage out of them.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sampatrick posted:

Because they think the only reason players touch standard instead of Modern is because Modern decks cost twice as much, so they're trying to replicate it here, I guess.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
lol everything about historic in that announcement is so dumb. It's going to be expensive, randomly have unknown cards plopped into it disputing the meta, and the ranked queue will only be around for limited periods of time. They are literally trying to make this as bad as possible.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So do I go sink wildcards today into the checklands I don't have, or do I commit myself to not playing the format?

This sure is a decision point that gets me excited about Historic!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lol, usually those statements aren't quite so on the nose. There's no way a PR/marketing person saw that before it went out.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Huxley posted:

So do I go sink wildcards today into the checklands I don't have, or do I commit myself to not playing the format?

It all depends on what lands get introduced, checklands could be absolutely useless if something better ends up in the format.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Huxley posted:

They don't want you to play Historic. But they also don't really want to say outright "Don't play Historic, idiots", so this is what you get instead.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Cactrot posted:

It all depends on what lands get introduced, checklands could be absolutely useless if something better ends up in the format.

And the great thing is better lands could be introduced at literally any time! You'll never know if you will suddenly need to upgrade your land base at twice the cost, or if your entire deck will become useless! But don't worry because you won't even be about to play ranked most of the time anyway!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sampatrick posted:

They really do just want everyone to play standard

Well, yeah. Wizards doesn't really see much money from modern either (mh 1 being an exception) so it doesn't surprise me that we're going to see some sort of tax on playing historic so that they still see pack sales from it. It's just being done in the shittiest possible way.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

it's good that arena is implementing the most important part of paper magic: the reserved list

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
People who want to play Historic won't be playing standard because they'll be investing their very limited resources into the double cost of Historic.

Congratulations, WotC, you just played yourself.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

rkajdi posted:

Well, yeah. Wizards doesn't really see much money from modern either (mh 1 being an exception) so it doesn't surprise me that we're going to see some sort of tax on playing historic so that they still see pack sales from it. It's just being done in the shittiest possible way.

They would still have seen pack sales because packs are the only way to get wildcards anyway! There is no shop to buy singles from, historic players have to crack packs like everyone else.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
WotC. WotC never changes. The end of Historic occurred pretty much as we had predicted. Too many cards, not enough money or wildcards to go around. The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely human ones.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
The double cost is baffling, but I like that they're going the route of adding cards to historic from older sets. As long as they choose well (unlikely) adding some fan favorites into historic could be very interesting, and I wonder if they could even add in reserved list cards.

Also I read a theory that WotC purposefully introduced the lovely 2 for 1 system so when they back down to a normal 1 to 1 rate people will be happier, when in reality historic cards should have been cheaper.

moush fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 29, 2019

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

moush posted:

The double cost is baffling, but I like that they're going the route of adding cards to historic from older sets. As long as they choose well (unlikely) adding some fan favorites into historic could be very interesting, and I wonder if they could even add in reserved list cards.

Also I read a theory that WotC purposefully introduced the lovely 2 for 1 system so when they back down to a normal 1 to 1 rate people will be happier, when in reality historic cards should have been cheaper.

Modern is a wasteland so declaring remaking it as a non-goal and starting over has me optimistic. Not that I really play arena much anyway.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Modern is a wasteland so declaring remaking it as a non-goal and starting over has me optimistic. Not that I really play arena much anyway.

Modern is literally fine right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

stupid bastards don't want to succeed. "don't worry when your cards rotate we definitely have a plan to allow you to continue to use them, they'll just only be usable in a format nobody is ever going to play because it's hideously price gouged so have fun against Sparky"

though i can't justify myself playing arena anyway because, given my current winrate in Pauper, it would cost me literally thousands of dollars to play Arena instead, and that's a huge bummer because MTGO is a terrible program. glad that wotc continues to do stupid poo poo to make myself feel justifed