Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Playing some sealed, and the flip side of bereaved survivor is insane. Also I hope people never end up reading baneblade scoundrel.

edit: people having removal in their sealed pool is cheating. I have none in any color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

I have my suspicious that people are going to enjoy this draft.

I love original innistrad, i sucked at draft back then, and still do, but it was fun as heck milling myself to then flashback stuff and i look forward to doing it once again

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Strong Sauce posted:

Does Lier, Disciple of the Drowned

Is there a reason this uses the language of "mana cost" rather than "mana value"?

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is there a reason this uses the language of "mana cost" rather than "mana value"?

Mana value is a single number that replaces the old idea of converted mana cost - Lier has a mana value of 5

Mana cost includes the specific color costs - Lier has a mana cost of UU3

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

I think the mana value of a 1W spell is 2. They use mana cost so that you still have to pay the coloured mana.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
CMC remains better

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

sure why not

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Deathbonnet Sprout is my dark horse

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mat Cauthon posted:

Because they’re not the same thing.

E.g. Mana Leak had a mana cost of 1U and a mana value of 2. To flash it back with this card you need to pay at least 1 blue mana, you can’t just pay 2 of any color.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Deathbonnet Sprout is my dark horse

For limited or constructed?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Framboise posted:

Wait, Midnight Hunt is already coming out? I feel like the D&D set literally just came out a couple weeks ago. (I know it's been a bit longer than that, but still.)

Welcome to the ever-accelerating "blood from a stone" phase of corporate existence. And there's actually a lot of blood yet to squeeze out of Magic's stone, since WotC has been allergic to change until the past few years.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

It looks like goal of arena is to launch something to spend money on every month.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Format owns, 420 draft r/b or b/g every day

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Deathbonnet Sprout, Willow Geist, Egon and Witherbloom Command may be a good enough core for Standard

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

!Klams posted:

for limited, it basically synergizes with one of the main mechanics of midnight hunt, disturb and flashback. and when it transforms it starts playing graveyard hate against your opponents by exiling a card in any graveyard every upkeep, with any creature cards exiled pumping up deathbonner hulk. the milling upkeep on its frontside is barely punitive if you have creatures with disturb or spells with flashback. green also has dryad's revival that will also bring back any target card from your graveyard. it seems really good if you're going for that strategy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

for limited, it basically synergizes with one of the main mechanics of midnight hunt, disturb and flashback. and when it transforms it starts playing graveyard hate against your opponents by exiling a card in any graveyard every upkeep, with any creature cards exiled pumping up deathbonner hulk. the milling upkeep on its frontside is barely punitive if you have creatures with disturb or spells with flashback. green also has dryad's revival that will also bring back any target card from your graveyard. it seems really good if you're going for that strategy.

yeah i had it in one draft and i was always very happy to draw it

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Compare:

The Vampire lord gets; Evasion, and ETB
The Zombie; One point of toughness.

I just want to say that at least in limited, I've found the Zombie lord to be substantially stronger. 3 toughness matters a lot, and there are so many decay cards around that the +1/+0 really adds up. Early days so who knows how things will shake out, but the Vampire has been an awful top deck for me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ok MID is a million times more fun limited than AFR

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ok MID is a million times more fun limited than AFR

I know it's the honeymoon phase or whatever but I agree. I really like all the mechanics, even Decay plays better than I expected.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

I know it's the honeymoon phase or whatever but I agree. I really like all the mechanics, even Decay plays better than I expected.

Yeah the new mechanics are awesome.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Strong Sauce posted:

Deathboner Hulk is the name of my sludge metal band

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Strong Sauce posted:

AHHH didn't see it took them out of your opponents yard on flipping, yeah that's amazing!

Just went 7-0 in my arena pre-release, this set is loving awesome! Feels like from turn two onward, you've got about 3 decisions every turn, and all of them matter. There's so much synergy, but it never feels like one player just gets overwhelmingly ahead, because it's usually held together with one creature, or switching to day / night, which you usually have some control over. Which, again, is decisions! Do you advance your boardstate with an expensive creature, or just play and flashback the cheap spell to send it to day and rob them of theirs? Very good.

That 1WW 3/3 with Ward 1 seems absolutely batfunk insane, he was drawing my opponent a card every turn, which was somewhat insurmountable until I stole it off him and insurmounted right back at him.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
MTG Arena Codes:

BORROWEDTIME for 4000xp

PLAYMID for 3 packs

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Anyone know what happened here? Arena has a different art than the official art.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe the original was too macabre for their standards?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Maybe the original was too macabre for their standards?

This is what I am thinking. Paper version is probably the freakier one.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bugsy posted:

Anyone know what happened here? Arena has a different art than the official art.

there's conjecture that the double feature release will have alternate art

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That's my face. I was a Kickstarter backer, but I didn't want to pay for the Arena tier.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It looks like the guy who lost his face.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

flatluigi posted:

The first one is John Travolta and the second one is Nick Cage except from the Wicker Man

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bugsy posted:

Nicolas Cage sued?!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

flatluigi posted:

Wizards has said it will, though I was expecting more alternate than that.

I thought the first one was a nic cage edit for a second.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Decked out due to board stall in my first draft game which im not loving lol, hopefully tommorow all opponents will be on an aggro so my game doesnt take 20 minutes

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Man this format is a blast. My sealed went ok, my first couple drafts were mediocre to bad, but the third draft shredded. Vamps has insane synergy if you can draft it, and holy crap the black werewolves are all nuts. Can't wait to play more of this.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Devor posted:

MTG Arena Codes:

BORROWEDTIME for 4000xp

PLAYMID for 3 packs

Can people log in? I keep getting the connection lost screen like it's still doing maintenance. I can't even update the client

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gramps posted:

Man this format is a blast. My sealed went ok, my first couple drafts were mediocre to bad, but the third draft shredded. Vamps has insane synergy if you can draft it, and holy crap the black werewolves are all nuts. Can't wait to play more of this.

Yeah it’s super fun and vampires are A+

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Oh man, I really need to get used to the rhythm of day/night - several times already I've passed a turn I really should not have without casting a spell and let me opponent transform a bunch of monsters

Werewolves are BEEFY when they transform

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

Decked out due to board stall in my first draft game which im not loving lol, hopefully tommorow all opponents will be on an aggro so my game doesnt take 20 minutes

I'm getting close pretty frequently with my ub deck. All my low drops are removal and novice occultists, and my highdrops are the mill 3 amalgam and 4x organ hoarder lol.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

!Klams posted:

Both. It's a 1 mana enabler + payoff, I've been very impressed so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So pretty sure R/G werewolves is going to be gas. Just threw a list together with what I have without fully fleshing out the rares and it's mean.

You still get Den of the bugbear and Faceless Haven coupled with cheap 1 mana removal.