Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Incredible that they did literally the opposite of what they should have with historic, which was make it cheaper to get cards for the stillborn weirdo format no one will want to play

Cool that they'll be sprinkling in relevant older cards though. Can include cool modern cards without having to spend effort on implementing unplayable chaff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

it’s too soon to tell how modern looks but, with the huge asterisk that not hitting stirrings may have been a mistake, I wouldn’t be surprised if the format winds up in the best place it’s been since 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hellsau posted:

it would cost me literally thousands of dollars to play Arena instead

how exactly are you calculating that

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No no no you see, Historic is much more daunting for new players to grasp than Standard, so it's better to gently nudge them towards the rotating format that requires them to buy new cards. It's for their own good, really.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

flatluigi posted:

Well I think his argument is that he actually makes money off MTGO so if he were to try playing arena he would have to buy cards. If he's as good as he says, he could likely go infinite in Arena after an initial buy-in. Even for me, someone who's pretty bad and buys packs every expansion, I haven't reached nearly as high as $1000.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sampatrick posted:

They really do just want everyone to play standard

It's been the best format for like 5 years so it's not surprising that's their goal.

The wildcard system would be somewhat tolerable if they allow a crafting system that allows the turning of commons into uncommons, rares, mythics. As someone who dabbled in arena since day 1 I have like 300 common wildcards that will never get cashed in as well as 200+ uncommons.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Modern is literally fine right now

Lol that people think this

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 29, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Wow they really did the stupidest loving thing possible.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

80s James Hetfield posted:

It's been the best format for like 5 years so it's not surprising that's their goal.

Lol that people think this

LOL. Yeah it was great when they banned Smuggler's Copter, Emrakul, Reflector Mage, Felidar Guardian, Aetherworks Marvel, Attune with Aether, Rogue Refiner, Ramunap Ruins, Rampaging Ferocidon, Nexus of Fate in BO1 Arena. Been a great 5 years for standard.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

flatluigi posted:

moush posted:

Well I think his argument is that he actually makes money off MTGO so if he were to try playing arena he would have to buy cards. If he's as good as he says, he could likely go infinite in Arena after an initial buy-in. Even for me, someone who's pretty bad and buys packs every expansion, I haven't reached nearly as high as $1000.

Yeah it's this. I've made about 2000 tix since the London Mulligan was reimplemented on MTGO on July 2nd. If I were to have played Arena, I wouldn't have a cash-out option, and I likely would have had to buy a couple hundred bucks in packs since I hate bot drafts and my Arena account hasn't seen use since just after WAR came out.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

lmaoing imagining them extending this principle to paper. Now you need two copies of any card you want to play. Put them in the same sleeve. You better believe during deck checks judges will be making sure you didn’t sleeve your four Stoneforge mystics on top of four draft commons to sneak them through!!!

I mean, obviously not the literal two copies thing, but at the conceptual level, "buy into stuff early or it's way more expensive for literally no good reason" is pretty much already a feature of paper :v:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hellsau posted:

Yeah it's this. I've made about 2000 tix since the London Mulligan was reimplemented on MTGO on July 2nd. If I were to have played Arena, I wouldn't have a cash-out option, and I likely would have had to buy a couple hundred bucks in packs since I hate bot drafts and my Arena account hasn't seen use since just after WAR came out.

Is this all still through pauper grinding? That's insane.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hellsau posted:

yeah I can't really argue with "I don't play arena because I literally profit off of playing mtgo" so good on you I guess

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hellsau posted:

Man this reminds me of the time Brian Kibler ruined the Brazilian GDP after that MTGO ptq crashed

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If they are going to make distinctions between the different versions of standard legal cards, I'd like the options to get gems instead of copies 5-8 of cards with rarities above uncommon. IE in a few years when new Shocks rotate in, I don't need new versions, client

Also I have no idea why they can't drop in Amonkhet and Kaladesh blocks as a whole. The cards already existed in the program

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 29, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Also I have no idea why they can't drop in Amonkhet and Kaladesh blocks as a whole. The cards already existed in the program

Because they'd have to ban a huge number of cards to avoid those blocks overshadowing the rest of the Historic format. As it stands, only small Teferi is likely to need to get banned eventually.

Also they probably will add those sets once it takes 2x wildcards to get anything from them.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I hope they print fetches into historic. 2 wildcards to fetch would be hilarious

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

lmao

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the "takes two wildcards to craft historic cards" mixes well with the "are you SURE you want to create that soon to be rotating card" prompt

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

lol at you guys acting like that announcement was in good faith. They never intended that change to go live, they just want an easy example of them "listening to the community". They'll pull something else less lovely at the same time they revert that change but since it'll be less lovely nobody will care. This has happened every. single. time. they've made an announcement about arena.

back in the beta, when daily quests required WINS only

The vault + 5th card problem

The various iterations of the mastery pass

Historic card pricing

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Hellsau posted:

Because they'd have to ban a huge number of cards to avoid those blocks overshadowing the rest of the Historic format. As it stands, only small Teferi is likely to need to get banned eventually.

Also they probably will add those sets once it takes 2x wildcards to get anything from them.

Some WotC community guy in the reddit thread said they are willing to either add the entire set in the future or just specific cards they don't see as problematic.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
But why won't they give me canal dredger for my modo edh deck?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Moose posted:

lol at you guys acting like that announcement was in good faith. They never intended that change to go live, they just want an easy example of them "listening to the community". They'll pull something else less lovely at the same time they revert that change but since it'll be less lovely nobody will care. This has happened every. single. time. they've made an announcement about arena.

Historic card pricing

Red Mana can't melt silver wildcards

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I’m surprised the big stores aren’t pushing wizards to create an Origins foreword format to move all the bulk rares they couldn’t get rid of after rotations. Arena would only have to program 3 sets worth of cards and wizards could probably make a masters set to sell with all the staples.

Except they’d probably gently caress that up and charge horizon prices for a set that has like 10 cards worth slightly more then the price of the pack.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

A Moose posted:

Historic card pricing

Counterpoint: have you considered the possibility that everyone in wizards is a huge moron who only succeed in spite of their efforts?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
My buddies and I playtested Origins forward a few times just for shits and it's actually pretty good if you just ban Emrakul

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
They just mentioned on stream some of the historic exclusive cards they are currently testing

Brainstorm
Fire bolt
Ethereal armor
Wormcoil engine
Dark Confidant

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tainen posted:

They just mentioned on stream some of the historic exclusive cards they are currently testing

Brainstorm
Fire bolt
Ethereal armor
Wormcoil engine
Dark Confidant

:psyduck:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Fetch lands officially never getting a reprint

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

Counterpoint: have you considered the possibility that everyone in wizards is a huge moron who only succeed in spite of their efforts?

Nobody's that lucky. There has to be someone who knows what they're doing

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ilmucche posted:

I hope they print fetches into historic. 2 wildcards to fetch would be hilarious

As in it literally costs wildcards to crack a fetch each time

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tainen posted:

Brainstorm
Fire bolt
Ethereal armor
Wormcoil engine
Dark Confidant

reserved list on arena when

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sampatrick posted:

Fetch lands officially never getting a reprint

Like ever, or into Standard? One sucks big time and the other is no surprise at all.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Like ever, or into Standard? One sucks big time and the other is no surprise at all.

I mean probably never in standard but we'll see a paper reprint soon enough. If historic has brainstorm tho we're never going to see fetches in standard.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I don’t understand historic I thought it was a format like modern where there’s a starting set and it goes to to current day. Why would they just add random rear end cards not even legal in modern? I’m confused on what they want that format to be.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A Moose posted:

Nobody's that lucky. There has to be someone who knows what they're doing

someone hasn't spent a lot of time around rich people

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tainen posted:

Brainstorm
Fire bolt
Ethereal armor
Wormcoil engine
Dark Confidant

I wouldn't mind brainstorm in a much lower powered format with no fetches

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Tbh putting bob in historic would get me to play it once so

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

uggy posted:

I don’t understand historic I thought it was a format like modern where there’s a starting set and it goes to to current day. Why would they just add random rear end cards not even legal in modern? I’m confused on what they want that format to be.

its the farm upstate where all your old cards no longer legal in standard go to visit.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Twitter threads are dumb, but this is kinda silly

https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1167182324703748096

So there is an event every time cards are added where you just get playsets of those cards for the entry fee. Seems OK-ish, but it still has the problem that players who miss the boat still have to pay extra, a problem that exists for no reason digitally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sampatrick posted:

I mean probably never in standard but we'll see a paper reprint soon enough. If historic has brainstorm tho we're never going to see fetches in standard.

No fetches in Standard doesn't surprise me, I think if Wizards could wave a magic wand and get rid of them in every format they would. Evolving Wilds is probably mostly harmless for Standard/Historic though. Maybe even Prismatic Vista someday?

Actually this Historic cards concept is proof of my theory that Wizards wants Historic to eventually just be Modern without fetchlands, except they're going about it in the most rear end-backwards way imaginable.