Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Framboise posted:

One of the Chandras from M20 had a passive that keeps her from being countered, so maybe? Who knows.

You? If you read the post literally right after the one you quoted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Star Man posted:

Good thing it has another +1 ability to activate instead.

But what if your hand is all good cards and you don’t want to discard any?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

GrandpaPants posted:

Doesn't Emry have Affinity for Artifacts but they don't call it Affinity for Artifacts?

Yes, along with the recent tezzeret and tireless tracker for landfall before it, plus others I’m forgetting I’m sure. They’re understandably hesitant to use a keyword for a single card or two in a set.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Drewjitsu posted:

Tenth district legionnaire has heroic, but not keyworded as such.

Right, there’s not-battalion too now that I think of it.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Seems as if the Arthurian legend theme is really resonating.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Retromancer posted:

being stupid and unfun has never stopped rulings before. Most cards that have turned out broken have been because of weird edge cases that snap the intent of the card over their knee.

Besides them loving around with the errata for time vault, I’m struggling to think of when this has been the case. Most broken cards have been broken because they wreck the game’s resource balance—fast mana, cost reduction, storm, dredge—not because of weird corner cases of the rules. The only thing the o-ring rules trickery broke was modo.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Jabor posted:

The ironworks combo shenanigans definitely counts, imo. (You can sacrifice multiple artifacts in the middle of casting a spell or activating an ability, and then get to put all the triggered abilities from them dying on the stack at once. But only if you do it while casting a spell or activating an ability that costs mana.)

Yeah, think I blanked kci from my mind. Point still stands tho

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm a couple of pages late but I would be so so down for a revolutionary Russia plane, although I think I'd have trouble playing anything but mono-red

Surely mono black if you’re trying to get some edgy internet leftist points.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Hellsau posted:

it played nine green onedrops and four first turn green sources, and inexplicably an Oran-Rief, a tapped green source

Thank you for the exact numbers, but ya, they got lucky or they cheated. Deck was nonsense, though you kinda gotta respect Flores for coasting on his one good* article from overish twenty years ago—which I’d still recommend to newer or lapsed players: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/fundamentals/3692_Whos_The_Beatdown.html

*ya ya philosophy of fire was important at the time but isn’t as enlightening these days as who’s the beatdown

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

Jfc of course it's $50. I knew it would be even before I looked at it. Why would the three card product for children not be. (The answer is it's not actually for children. I know.) But it would have been nice for it to be halfway reasonably costed. I'd have liked to get one for my daughter.

It’s for charity if you’d like a justification to get something for your “daughter”

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

fadam posted:

Do you guys who live in NYC or LA get like a billion people out for Magic nights?

Chicago (it’s the third largest city okay) doesn’t seem to get more people than medium sized cities but I think that’s partly due to a lot of the scene being spread out in the burbs.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Occasionally pops up in Grixis Death’s Shadow too. He was more of a thing in vintage but unsure if that’s still true.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Owlbear Camus posted:

You can either buy singles to build a deck to your liking... or you can trade it all for what's in this box.

Ugh, it’s gonna be a tubgoat in the box, isn’t it?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
So dig and cruise are still busted even without fetches and reasonable cantrips/thought scour? Was curious to see how that’d shake out but haven’t been following pioneer closely yet. I did wanna cast cruise again better buy in now now now

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elyv posted:

I cannot imagine something like monored gets anything banned from it

maybe like swiftspear max

Hold off on purchasing your ferocidons!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Y’all are right about it not being a good trade, I was just thinking that I’d rather have a thought erasure veiled than a noxious grasp or a counter.

Your gently caress up (it’s okay, we all do it, but, uh, card and mana advantage are pretty important to magic strategy so maybe read some articles on that, idk) is actually a good illustration of why veil is so silly: yes, it’s narrowish but there’s not really a way to ever profitably trade against it when it’s applicable. Which is a problem for a one mana card.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
But you were originally quitting arena because pioneer was coming to it? This some weird nonsensical trolling thing?

Though, please, quit all things magic related.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Dehtraen posted:

Also - if you go to one of the GPs make sure you have all of your stuff before you leave the table, ended up calling judges for forgotten deck boxes (twice), jackets, and a cellphone.

Jesus, I’m more paranoid than this at an FNM where I know most people, let alone a GP where I know hardly know no one, and glue my knapsack on my back.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Entropic posted:

wasn't Watchwolf pretty controversial when it was printed?

lol power creep.

Got back into magic a bit after ravnica 1.0 and watchwolf blew my goddamn kitchen/kiddie table magic mind.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Wezlar posted:

Like I said, he has done some sketchy stuff. It could definitely be an accident, both mistakes just also happen to be incredibly beneficial for him in their current game states.

Tough to tell without the context of the game, but how’s the spreading seas one much of a benefit? Seemed like he still had plenty of white sources.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

They were all islands.

Ah whoops missed that. Ya, that’s pretty bad, but I’ve made mistakes that benefit me and it’s bound to happen when he’s been on camera for oodles of hours. Perhaps I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt since he’s one of the best magic writers; one of my favorite parts of magic was how much written content was made for a game and I’m saddened by the move away from that. But I’m in my 20s and get enraged by news videos instead of articles so I probably just need to learn to love the video (and delivering longer writing broken up in thirty different 140 [or whatever it is now] character chunks, for some reason)??

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

DangerDongs posted:

Fun fact, with Sultai Delirium you don't take out your thoughtsiezes against Spirits, so maybe he isn't wrong.

Guessing that’s more because they’re four of the eight sorceries in the deck so you keep em for delirious purposes but idk haven’t played the deck

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Arena really brought in the riffraff to our previous shithole community. At least tub goat isn’t posting in here constantly anymore, but alas, bust rodd still appears to have no other interests or obligations besides posting in this thread

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Packs are generally wasteful but throwing one or two in is fun for a little gambling treat, like cheap scratchers at xmas. Depending on your budget, a nice deck box with a pack and a tcgplayer giftcard inside would please most every magic player (tho clearly some are just impossible)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Upheaval

(I am from 2001)

[cube supremacy]

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

DangerDongs posted:

Horribly broken if the goal is to thin your deck turn

Also would be even more time consuming than fetches, and not just for paper (rip) even.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
rug

+2 return land from graveyard to hand
+1 brainstorm
0 deal one damage if it’s assigned to a creature and not enough (new tech), return it to hand instead
-6 your opponent becomes an elk

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
twin

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Let's take a quick time out to appreciate Volrath's Margarita Machine

pfff doubt that thing even gets 6 MPM

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
What was the card that maro teased that’s been printed a thousand times with a hundred different arts? Clearly not bolt or swords or anything like that but was it just like giant spider?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Arivia posted:

this is like the one right thing bust rodd has ever said

Sure, but not in the context of an image with “”globalist”” “”puppet masters””

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
It’s all been downer hiller since arena

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He's done the only art for Darkness and Nether Void all but the Commander's Arsenal for Sylvan Library, which also means the cheapest 5th edition printing.

The commander’s arsenal art got used for the eternal masters reprint though it is :tenbux: more so that point stands. Is tenbux gone or am I misremembering the code? Can’t be arsed to check

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Tainen posted:

3 days for Compost Queen to go from SA -> Reddit

still what?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Bust Rodd posted:

It owns that the US response to the pandemic is so piss poor that magic is canceled for the entire planet

It owns that you can’t even read a headline

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

This is even worse than it appears since they weren’t posting in the beginning of the thread

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

nrook posted:

It was originally planned for Amonkhet, there were going to be Horus and Osiris boosters too

Isis boosters would’ve gone great in my death corona edh deck

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Sampatrick posted:

Mox Opal was a component in broken decks long before Urza came along

Ya mox opal was like workshop in vintage where cards associated with it kept getting banned (e: excuse me, restricted) but clearly the issue was having a mox in modern, or a repeatable black lotus in vintage

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I tried rabblemasters back when the deck had its moment, first in the sb and then the mb, since I found you’d often stabilize but your clock was so pitiful they’d just rip a karn or prime time and you’d lose. It helped, but not as much as resleeving death’s shadows and blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
And even then it sees fairer play in non rotating decks like eldrazi tron and hardened scales