Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Sampatrick posted:

If you only apologize months after the issues crop up and only when you get called out on it while trying to move into a new business, it undermines the idea that you are remotely authentic in your apology. Owen didn't apologize and come clean when he was first called out for being a sex pest. He only 'apologized' and came clean when he realized that people still remembered that he was a sex pest. This is not a real apology.

Public apologies are always bullshit and done for the primary reason of getting people to leave you alone. That's why the best move is to never do them. He should have trucked on until people got tired of talking about him and moved on to other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Ybrik posted:

It's weird to me that the card name refers to both of them but planeswalker type only Will. Why not call it "The Rowans" if both of their names won't fit?

They're Will and Rowan Kenrith. It references both of them.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I'm not sure how adventuring has memory issues like some people have said. Usually that's something you say about untracked mechanics that last longer than a turn, which adventuring is not.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

does it matter if a card is exiled with adventure or not? I thought that all the adventure creatures could be cast from exile no matter how they were put there.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

wow, ok that makes the mechanic both worse and clunkier. not much worse, but I can see how people have issues with it now, especially after WotC just got done printing a cycle that just shrugged off exile effects, so clearly they have no problem with having stuff that does that, and it may be an interesting design space to have cards that are weak to destroy removal but more resilient against exiling, as that's something they've never done.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Did people really think that every adventure creature was just going to be an Eternal Scourge with more text? Magic players can be dumb but cards with memories associated with their abilities is not new and will work just fine.

the rules text on eternal scourge and the relevant reminder text for adventure are almost identical and currently if you're not following wotc staff on twitter it's easy to see how someone could think that these are just creatures that shrug off being exiled.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah the frame was a mistake from a game usability standpoint in a way we haven't seen since invocations.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Playing politics with the troll in EDH seems fun.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Food Golem.

This is absolutely going in my Yuriko deck. fantastic ninjitsu enabler.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I mean I want an Ogre with defender that loses defender when another creature enters the battlefield but that's just me.

How can you make a shrek card that doesn't key off the number of swamps you control?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I'm trying to figure out how to do boy who cried wolf. top down design is hard.

-X
2G
Legendary Creature-Human
1/1

T: tap 2 target creatures, then Roll a 6 sided die. on a 1, target opponent creates a 4/4 wolf token

Retromancer fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 11, 2019

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Counter-point, but I'm glad Magic can tap into silly worlds without going full Smash Up. Eldraine nearly breaks the fourth wall with references to fairy tales, which hasn't happened on this level since Arabian Nights, but as wacky as that is, there's limits and it doesn't go into full Hearthstone-like wackiness. Would I have liked to see a Magic-al realistic take on Puss in Boots? Maybe a normal-looking cat with black paws ("boots")? Sure, but there's other fairy tales I'm sure were cut from the design doc also. The "too silly" reasoning bothers me because there's probably no fairy tale that can't be twisted into something more on Magic's level while still maintaining the reference, but I'd love to see an article from Maro about what other things were cut.

one of their core planeswalkers is a walking, talking cat man. they could have done puss in boots fine.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Tainen posted:

Bringing back invitational cards was a mistake

Should have printed the card name in amonkhet invocation font

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

henge is worth buying a couple if only because a lot of green commander decks are going to want one and they'll probably spike after a couple years.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Is there any evidence that Magic is doing well now because they've just done a bunch of good sets in a row? I'd want to see numbers now vs. BFZ/SOI/Kaladesh block when standard was just a mess.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

can someone with better knowledge of the rules explain something to me? someone told me that the comma in the middle of Urza, Lord High Artificer's 3rd ability means that abilities can be activated in the middle of it. For instance, you could spend five to activate him, shuffle your library, then activate a scroll rack to put something on top before flipping the top card of your deck. A judge friend of mine confirmed this is how it works, but it seems counterintuitive to everything I know about the stack. Can someone explain this?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Balon posted:

So that recent survey asked an interesting question: if you could get any 5 (non RL) cards reprinted what would you choose?

I know we’ll have a few people say Oubliette, but I personally feel Rhystic Study is far overdue a reprint.

die screaming.

The fewer Rhystic Studies floating around the better.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Rings of brighthearth, Scroll Rack, Mox Opal, Chalice, Mana Crypt

Artifact Masters, lets go.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

evilweasel posted:

it seems like the question has been answered, but there's also just a logical way to get at this. the effect (shuffle first, then show the card) is unmistakably intended to prevent you from having influence on what card is flipped by putting a specific card on the top of the deck. it would be an insanely stupid and unfun to have an edge case that let you do exactly what the ability was designed to bar you from doing (with no real restriction) just by knowing the precise parsing of the rules.

being stupid and unfun has never stopped rulings before. Most cards that have turned out broken have been because of weird edge cases that snap the intent of the card over their knee.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

randomly cracked a pack of MH and pulled a hogaak. Feels bad.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Yugioh Season 0 is the best because it's before the card game ever comes into it and Yugi is just a possessed teenager randomly murdering people who annoy him.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Isn't there Voltaic Servant or something?

I've also seen the combo used with that fae cursed dragon dude as a card draw engine.

servant rotated, but now we have manifold key.

and Syr Konrad triples the damage from the loop.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Can't wait to see these decks with cool names get played on coverage and called something like "esper manse" or "mono B familiar" or something equally boring.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I don't understand how Prismatic vista needed to be printed into MH because it's too good for standard, but Fabled Passage is fine. They seem around the same power level, with vista being better early game but passage being better mid-late, but one is $35 and the other is $8.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I get that prismatic is better for older formats, but I think that if passage is not too powerful for standard, then vista shouldn't be either, since the advantage of vista isn't as important in standard.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Sickening posted:

Vista was a card I got right and most of you got wrong. :smugdon:

The only reasons to run vista in Modern:

1. Your deck is 4+ colors

2. Holy poo poo Scalding Tarn is $110.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

ungulateman posted:

3. snow-covered basics

You can still fetch these with regular fetches so that falls under #2.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

It just sucks that prices on fetches will never come down because WotC has basically come out and said that they've added them to a soft reserved list.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Soft reserved list? They were reprinted two years ago.

You'll never see them in a standard price booster ever again is what I was getting at.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Because the last decade or so has relied so heavily on ETB effects on creatures that if they don't have one, they need to be amazing to see play. A creature with 7 pages of text, but no ETB needs haste or an ability worth the risk.

I wonder if Questing beast would be played anywhere near as much if it was a 4/4 for 4 with only 5 abilities instead of 6.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I get the feeling that design team just doesn't like white cards. Has there been a set since they started where White hasn't been the weakest color?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

At the very least, if I want to use renter s insurance I'm going to need a police report

won't any insurance company laugh in your face when you tell them the value of your cardboard rectangles?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

You also get access to our lord and savior sporecap spider

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I want to tell that thief that he kept a $200 e-reader but dumped probably 5X as much in easier to fence merchandise.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I'm surprised that they didn't tell Tian to shut up on stream about the HK stuff. is wotc just too small potatoes for China to give a poo poo about? They've clearly been trying to gain market share recently over there with stuff like the global series decks.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

some people like fetches in their eternal formats, some people don't.

let's split the difference and make a new format where only half of them are legal.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Sickening posted:

Considering that khans fetches would be in, that would mean a guarantee of the other fetches in standard in the future.

nah, they'd just do pioneer horizons in 4 years with $10 packs with the ZEN fetches at mythic.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

RB Instant
Destroy target non basic land or Planeswalker. If a land was destroyed this way, its owner may search their library for a basic land and put it into play, and you draw a card

E: that probably doesn't work for some reason but they really should print a playable Planeswalker hoser. It's so hard to get value against them and their flavour is super lame.

They just printed a 2 mana plague wind for planeswalkers.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

all this talk about blocking multiple creatures made me look up hundred-handed one and holy poo poo that was a rare lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

guys I found out my super serious wizard poker game got infiltrated by...*ugh* children's toys.