Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
2-2 with simic ramp. I liked the list a bit more than bant and it was a blast to play.
My two losses were pretty close too. First win even had me lying both oko and Nissan then playing a 32/33 voracious hydra the turn after.

Need more wildcards to make it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Wotc should just move all the sets back one release date. I know it'll be weird to have a core set as the fall set, but it would make things easier all around imo.

Then again I can be dumb, so this could also be a terrible idea.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Framboise posted:

I think the point is that the Universes Beyond thing takes something that has an overall solid identity and bringing in a bunch of IPs that clash with that identity, making Magic into something that doesn't really fit its overall atmosphere.

It doesn't really bother me much since I can just choose not to play those cards if I don't care for it, but it more problematic that they are making mechanically exclusive cards under that concept, making them tournament-legal, and then making them scarce for the sake of being scarce. It's a little better that they're going to be making them part of "the list" eventually, but that doesn't do a whole lot to improve availability of a card that's meant to be a playable card (that is, not a silver border just-for-funsies card).

I thought the walking dead cards were just legal in commander and the eternal formats?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Opinionated posted:

Speaking of Bruenor and equipment I threw this jank together a few days ago: https://aetherhub.com/Deck/standard-2022-equipment-warriors

I'm obsessed with building decks. He's definitely my favorite new Legendary uncommon

I slapped this together with a change or two and just want to say this was a blast to play! Thank you for posting this, I also wanted to do Boros equipment but had no idea where to start.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Flameskull and hulking bugbear are much better 3 drops.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Is it just me or does every deck everyone else is playing on arena just full of removal and just always in their hand. I feel like I can't make any headway anywhere.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Ban all of my opponents on arena from being able to use alrunds epiphany

loving please

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Has anyone ever in the history of the world said "warhammer forty thousand"?

Oddly enough, in 2009 i applied to work for a games workshop store and was told to NEVER call in 40k during the interview, it's always called Warhammer 40,000. So mostly marketing and sales people say it.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Pioneer challenger decks seem neat, I'll grab a deck or two if there's interest around me. Overall seems pretty good if you ignore all the extra poo poo and fortnite, even though I'll probably use the fortnite cards to get my kids more interested in MTG overall.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I could get behind mtg does fighting foodons.

I'd be down with a random 4kids anime set. Fighting Foodons, Kirby RIght back at ya!, poo poo we can even do the 4kids dub of One Piece and Sonic X.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

The pigs and slop metaphor gets more and more apt as I realize that some people just have no self control, and are compelled to consume every single morsel/product laid in front of them.

Yeah, just get the thing you want and don't get the thing you don't want, FOMO isn't real it can't hurt you.

Are you sure? Can you check my closet and under my bed?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Has anyone else run into book of exaslted deeds being allowed in 2022 standard on arena? Played ranked atm, and an orzhov player suddenly has it and used it against me. Currently making him earn a loving win. -54 to 14 with me on mono green. Do I just captured a log and report a bug?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Unless you get doll factory online, then they're all non decayed 3/3s

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

He's been a dev for at least two separate games for a while now (Eternal and FAB), so I can't imagine it would be that. More than likely the juice isn't worth the squeeze as far as competitive MTG play when taking into account return on investment for time spent, travel, etc.

Once WOTC unfucks high level competitive play I'm sure he (and a lot of other pros) will be back.

Pretty sure he has a kid coming soon.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Fab is a decent game but has lovely business practices in leaning on the already stated fomo generation of the current tcg boom. They also took the name pro tour for their big events which is funny but also needlessly hostile towards mtg. It might just be me but I think games like this can coexist without creating a stupid rivalry between each other that players will obviously take too seriously.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Yea, I don't see cfb shilling for secret lair drops nor do I see wizards releasing cards into standard that were selling for $3500 on tcgplayer. Also, who the gently caress thinks first edition print runs should be a thing in loving 2021! Like that's fabs worst offense to me.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Wizards just bring back duel masters outside of japan!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

Duel Masters is incredibly influential and basically every Japanese card game released after it is inspired by it in one way or another, so it’s kinda wild to me that it’s never taken off in the States. Somehow, Cardfight Vanguard has stuck around but Duel Masters canon hack it, it’s weird

Bushiroad even published a spiritual sequel to the game and it failed, though they added bad ideas to the ruleset.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Wasn’t LSV called out before for taking a sponsorship from one of those stupid sites that lets you invest in shares of collectibles?

Yea, it was some super obvious scam too.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think Naya is that weird of a name for a kid to have honestly.

It's been used as a name before mtg even existed.

Also what's this threads opinion on John Mullaney? If we're going to insert ourselves into a person's personal life, we might as well get all the popular ones out of the way.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

fadam posted:

I started playing EDH a few weeks ago and I’m enjoying it.

How loving dare you!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
My favorite decks were nearly pod during scars innistrad standard, a bant midrange deck that played turn 3 baneslayer angels during zendikar scars standard, and a home brew gruul deck that used fauna shaman and bloodbraid elf to power out vengevine during the tail end of alara zandikar standard.

Non mtg I loved my dbs tcg deck I named vegito tribal, did well in some locals with it too.

I also won my old shop's first kaijudo tournament with jeskai control before jeskai was a word.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Actually that’s another good question, what’s everyone’s experience with other TCGs. I tried to get into the decipher Star Wars CCG when I was in middle school but it was way too goddamn complicated for its own good

In second grade I asked some friends if I could play the star wars tcg with them. They told me to gently caress off when I said I had no cards, and somehow that started my love affair with tcgs.

Duel masters is still my favorite though.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

meanolmrcloud posted:

Hearing Patrick on the Resleevables talk about placing “point” in terms of power across a set makes me think it’s like a finite resource for a given release, or has defined parameters going into design. It’d be fun to breakdown sets about where we think they put it.

Worldwake would be amazing to see like this.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

jpmeyer posted:

he uses that term in general whenever he's talking about set design. my understanding is that it's not like a literal formal process of like divvying up a spreadsheet or something, but in the sense of which cards they specifically push to be powerful or commonly played in a given set. so for example, in the recent lorwyn one he laments that the "power points are in the wrong places" because lorwyn is supposed to be a creature-centric tribal set, but the best cards in it were stuff like cryptic command, thoughtseize, ponder, etc.

A random part of that episode I liked was finding out people made fun of you for playing ponder when it first came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

the Orb of Zot posted:

Time to build Esper All The Removal Control I guess

This is all I've been up against since building werewolves!