Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Post new Stoneforge builds, I’m so excited the card is legal!

I'm still working on a solid 75 but I'm toying with Mardu Stoneblade and lowkey I think Dreadhorde Arcanist is going to be a real choice target to slap a sword or Bskull on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gimme that trample sword damage

This is a wild time for Modern and I love it

Why yes, I will flashback a k command with my Arcanist...

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
That's a spicy deadguy ale list. I'm surprised it handled a field with tons of tron and valakut but I bet it just chewed on burn

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

qbert posted:

Super excited to bust out my old favorite deck of UW Sphinx Control with no wincon except a single Elixir of Immortality.

I unironically am hella pumped to try and jam second sun control with actual rev and 3feri

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

How is jitte pronounced anyway

Jeet-tay

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Got the seeing visions drop because I genuinely like those arts as a collection piece and the card stock feels actually good. Not warped at all for any of the people that were concerned. Also got a fancy ashiok that I'm gonna swap into my Jund sb for sure

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Two weeks ago I was at a 1k where traditional affinity got to the top 4, I had never expected to see that deck again a long time ago and now I'm glad he did well cause that sucks for an already fringed out deck. Conversely, he was also running Oko in the board so burn it all to the ground and salt the land after. Good riddance to a dumbass card.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

uggy posted:

I miss mcmagic at least we talked about cards more when he was around

That's the thing, there would be times when he had actually good takes and there would be significant discussion about the greater viability of cards. But whether it was a good or bad take he'd present it in such a lovely, douchebaggy way and would double down on that lovely attitude when called out.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Hypothetically speaking, could you have 15 copies of shadowborn apostle or relentless rats in your SB?

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
My biggest hope is that Astrolabe gets banned so everyone can go back to dope basics instead of all snow basics all the time.

Like my MPS llorwyn swamps and my Portal second age islands are some of my favorite individual bits of my "collection." Pimping out basics with *your* favorite ones is definitely one of the more interesting, varied and expressive parts of the greater game to me

Typhus733 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 10, 2020

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
I think I still have the 7th edition like digital tutorial disk that came with a starter and a dope Thorn Elemental. If I remember it correctly I'd say it was on par with the MODO user experience

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
What I find really baffling is, doesn't Oath slot best into either 5c Niv orrrrrrrr.....another combo deck i.e. Kethis combo? What is being achieved in the meta by just unbanning Oath?

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

The second Theros set lays a pretty strong claim to the title, despite being 20 years later when they should’ve had ample time to sort all of this out

I dunno, Born of the Gods had some actual cards in it: brimaz, courser, drown in sorrow, bile blight, satyr wayfinder, Xenogod, etc. It definitely wasn't a banger but I would say it had way less frustrating things in it than BFZ

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Reik posted:

Secret lairs are good if they:
-Don't curl
-Aren't staple cards that severely need a reprint

This and the slime meet those criteria, they're pretty much just selling art.

It looks like they've added the option to buy non-foil or foil for $10 more. I -need- Dog Through Time on a deep, personal level so I'm okay with all of this.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit sad when clover ate a ban alongside Omnath, though it was definitely necessary, because pre-omnath Adventures was an absolute blast. I didn't think Temur Adventures would be viable at this point but I've been playing the Obosh/Genesis Ultimatum/Terror of the Peaks build and holy poo poo is it fun. While it doesn't have the wishboard anymore, it can reach a similar point where you have this critical mass of mana and drop this I win button that people just scoop to. It's just good fun using Petty Thefts, stomps, and big old butts to just tempo along until you can reach that critical threshold and resolve an Ultimatum or terror into obosh.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

I unironically enjoy and picked up the non-foil removal secret lair because the rear end Trophy looks heavily styled after their posters and album art. Definitely a bummer they got the generic and known about lands but I also felt it was kind of cheesy-funny seeing them talk about "modal dfcs" and lands.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
I immediately saw it coming and still laughed. Magic is such a wonderful game

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Its obviously very early but Pioneer genuinely feels really fun and open. I played 3 leagues with 3 different decks (rb arcanist, uw spirits, and gb elves) and all three felt powerful and playable while encountering a wide variety of other decks. The arcanist deck is definitely gonna be the new hotness for a bit, its really powerful and disruptive in the face of a lot of different strategies and I'd expect it, Niv/btl piles and tribal/aggro decks to be the top of the meta while things shake out.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Jabor posted:

The aggro matchup in modern tends to be pretty good, you just don't go out of your way to gratuitously hurt yourself because your opponent is doing that work for you.

It's funny to look at how long all the cards for Death's Shadow were in modern before anyone actually decided to put them in a deck.

The issue with that and the main thing that's probably gonna keep DS from being too big in historic at first is that TBR is a major part of that plan. The burn player is super bad if they're both just all out doming you and choosing not to keep their dorks on the ground back to prevent lethal swing backs. That and there's no fetches and only enemy pain lands which makes it a lot trickier for the shadow player to be fully measured in how much damage they're dealing to themselves.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

GRN was ok but RNA owned bones.

I definitely forgot RNA was an actual set and am now disappointed as I realize you weren't making a really arbitrary joke about the biology RNA

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Cactrot posted:

Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero remains banned in Masques block constructed.

Thank God, we can continue to play ~true~ magic as it was intended

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Unmask on a stick seems pretty good

Edit: not huge but since it's an evoke, you can unmask with this then village rights it with the sac on the stack turn one to be cute

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

Manacurves and card draw are very archetype dependent.
Just grab some netdecks, then update one of them for the next set release. By the time of next rotation you will know the archetype well enough that you can build the next iteration of this deck yourself.

Yeah, this. There are a lot of great resources covering things like mana curves, color distribution, and the balance of card draw versus land count versus amount of action/bombs and such but in the end all of those are gonna be colored by the environment you're in. A control deck in legacy is gonna have a very different land count and cantripping than a control deck in a low powered standard format and both will be drastically different from what a tempo or aggro deck might use in those same formats. Don't be afraid to use established decks explicitly because doing so gives you a chance to internalize the "why" behind the decisions that went into building that deck through actual experience and context.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

The old character with no card Is 100% Tourach

So I in no way expect this to do anything in a constructed format but I do think it's an interesting detail that this can rip lands out of hand. I feel like it's a very rare (in the literal, frequency sense) effect to be able to look at a hand and rip lands as well as spells out.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Making them discard a land on T4 is pretty much never going to be good.

Yeah, like I said I don't think it's in any way a constructed level card but as an effect its one you don't see often which I feel at least adds to the novelty of the callback

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

The Klowner posted:

Am I having a brain fart? Why would you ever activate the red ability?

To destroy an artifact you control with modular (or any other situation where you get value off the destruction of an artifact, like ichor wellspring)

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Elyv posted:

Strange card. Worse than most removal spells at disrupting combos, maybe the point is to let evade your own creature's etb drawbacks? Seems bad

DS is definitely an obvious use case for this, but I'm curious exactly how this would interact with Heliod or any Theros gods. Am I right thinking that if heliod comes down and isn't active then it works like normal but the moment it becomes a creature it loses all abilities including the ability to become just an enchantment again? Either way, seems like a great hoser to those kind of creature combo decks and potentially a synergy piece for others

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

coelomate posted:

Is that just hands-down the most powerful creature ETB ever printed? Feels like a card you'd find in a commander precon.

It's cool and I like it, but I'm not sure it'll be valuable or playable outside of commander?

I like that it's literally a mini-cruel ultimatum on a body.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

fadam posted:

Urza's Saga is insanely powerful in Titan Amulet lol. Your land drop basically taps for two mana and makes a scaling beater. Definitely seems like the highest impact card from MH2 so far. The Domain stuff seems to be overperforming expectations as well. Haven't seen anyone play Reanimator and have it not look like a meme so far.

I haven't gotten to play at all so I'm just speaking off the anecdotal evidence of all the various streamers I've watched so far but man does Shardless in the living end shell seem pretty bullshit.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

ANT is Ad Nauseam Tendrils, it doesn't play Grapeshot. Not sure when that clip was from but a typical list may have no outs to Thalia game one.
https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/mtg/channelmagic-articles/level-one-legacy-ad-nauseam-tendrils/

It's from at least a couple years ago, Moonbase Market closed right at the start of 2020 and I definitely spent far too long thinking this clip implied they were reopened before I realized it was just old. RIP one of the best venues in the Midwest

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Yeah, Mad Mage has a pretty high potential if it's easy to venture a bunch. Also when compared to Marvel, you're seeing less cards overall but you get a scry three before it and the look is actually a draw three as well.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

Not everything need a counterplay. There is no counterplay for a resolved Jace TMS ultimate, for example.

Have Thassa's Oracle as your only card in hand and have it somehow not get countered, checkmate :smugdog:

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Cactrot posted:

Apparently Magic: Diablo edition is being shut down, it never actually made it out of beta.

https://twitter.com/BeAMagicLegend/status/1409934792074932226?s=19

Not at all surprising. The gameplay was really unengaging and outside of the zones being based in established Magic planes the theme was barely there. It's a shame WotC/Hasbro isn't interested in putting real money and effort behind their digital offerings, they have so much unutilized potential with the IP

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
I 100% would believe that WotC/Hasbro didn't see the immediate return on investment they wanted and tossed it aside without a second thought or any effort put into improvement. They have gone out of their way lately to squander any good-will they build and milk the player base as much as they can. At this point I would genuinely be amazed if there was any deeper motivation behind their upper level decision making beyond "how can we accumulate the most profit in the shortest time"

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
The nuts of paladin class into Thalia on the play seems pretty good if taxes ends up having a place in the meta of any format that it's legal in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
No power or duals is a big hit on the overall value but that pack fresh Alpha Bolt is loving sexy and gonna be worth a pretty penny