Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
please include all star formats to the OP, historic and brawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

uggy posted:

I don’t understand historic I thought it was a format like modern where there’s a starting set and it goes to to current day. Why would they just add random rear end cards not even legal in modern? I’m confused on what they want that format to be.

its the farm upstate where all your old cards no longer legal in standard go to visit.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I can't figure out jack poo poo for the Throne of Eldraine spoiler season. No panel at PAX West, no date for the start of official spoilers, nothing.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Hauki posted:

what are the loving odds of hitting six land off a kaalia, having already seen 6/22

0.05%

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

lol just lol if your game don't have robo bears

doesn't create 7 mana, flavor fail

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
she's clearly a bearzerker

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
that wolf has a tree for a hat

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

lol

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
There always seemed to be a rule of thumb in the past where every block got at least one major "innovation" mechanic (equipment, sagas, Tribal, etc), and a few supplemental mechanics, not to mention mechanics got carried over between sets in the block. As this is the first set fully developed under the "3+1 rule" I wonder if we're seeing them wanting to ration mechanics between sets that are so creatively different.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I mean. Adventure pile is also going to be temporary. And the adventure frame is already kind of a hint, a visual indicator if you may, that you shouldn't treat it like your generic exile pile

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tibalt posted:

I did, when I first read the reminder text. The Exile zone has been consistently moving away from its origins as outside the game towards a second special graveyard, and they've already made creatures that avoid exile effects in WAR. I could see R&D being willing to move in that direction, and it's not like any of the Adventure cards so far are strong enough for legacy formats even if they escape Swords to Plowshares.

That said, this is probably a much better solution.

I remember when people thought Mirror of Fate was WOTC trying to make exile into a second graveyard, it's been ten years and that hasn't really come to pass.

...jesus Christ its been 10 years since M10

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

Surprise Buy-a-Box Reveal

well it's not much of a surprise anymore

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Eej posted:

Gonna go with white dudes who are really averse to girly poo poo like fairy tales

literally

quote:

A fairy-tale world seemed like the perfect fit for Magic. There was just one problem: every time I pitched the idea, I was shot down. I think the biggest concern was one of juvenilization, as fairy tales are often associated with children's stories. I referenced things like Grimms' Fairy Tales to point out that there are very adult ways to approach the material, but my arguments fell to deaf ears.

also did that murder knight really need lifelink

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

incredibly powerful brand / preview synergy

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
they're aftermath cards that you can't even self mill, loving worthless

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Archenteron posted:

If they bring back Emperor as a format I'm gonna lol.

Also that 1 Mana threaten seems like a hilarious(ly bad) idea in modern

Emperor but only the emperor can have a commander.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
how many token types are in this set

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
put date masamune into mtg

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
turtle hydra

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

Really blurring the line between enchantment and colored artifact.

Flavor.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
artifact

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
to be fair there's not really anything magical about the glass coffin itself, an awake orc would probably go wtf are you doing and punch through it

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Stonecoil Serpent X
Artifact Creature - Snake
Reach, Trample, Protection from multicolor
Stonecoil Serpent enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

good reminder text

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

I haven't seen a second set so obviously telelgraphed before. If they didn't come out and say Return to Theros was the next set, I would've known just from how hard mono-color is pushed in this set. No rare duals, adamant, quad hybrid creatures, etc. I have a feeling the green Castle is way better than it looks just because Theros 2 cards are going to reward you for having six green mana to pay for a creature or creature ability.

if they ever make a mechanic in theros 2 that's like do X for each G spent on this it's three mono color mana fixing

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Goatsehenge

no ring

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk if its play designs influence, but I feel like the past few sets have had a lot more cards that are like "huh I want to make this work" rather than being either obviously pushed for constructed/mediocre for limited.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
they should have mirrored adamant and have it cipt unless you control 3 other basic lands of the same type

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

lovestruck beast gettin horny for dwarves

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

why have this in the same set as mice tokens lmao

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
wasn't there some kind of theory that magic was getting run into the ground to make up for the rest of hasbro underperforming? sure seems like it with the way they're trying to extract money from people recently.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

gross
https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5201167/f5605a0f0bbf

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/mythictalesmike/status/1177581825134419968

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
did a double take looking at this art
https://www.twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/822108746247585792

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 28, 2019

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Hoo boy don't let me tell you about the Atraxa EDH discord.

I would love to see something like this for mtg discords
https://twitter.com/thSyniez/status/1169840671185702914

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
why the he'll can't those legendary frame treatments be black bordered

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

ungulateman posted:

e: also the pony cards are cute and the text "everypony wins the game" is amazing, you're all haters

username / post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Framboise posted:

The "pacified" dragon makes me want the next Un-set to have black-border reprints but with funny art. Imagine Pacifism but it's a ferocious giant dragon incapacitated with a pacifier in its mouth. Completely harmless!

im sorry but this kind of humor is too juvenile for the very serious game of magic; the gathering