Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

stupid bastards don't want to succeed. "don't worry when your cards rotate we definitely have a plan to allow you to continue to use them, they'll just only be usable in a format nobody is ever going to play because it's hideously price gouged so have fun against Sparky"

though i can't justify myself playing arena anyway because, given my current winrate in Pauper, it would cost me literally thousands of dollars to play Arena instead, and that's a huge bummer because MTGO is a terrible program. glad that wotc continues to do stupid poo poo to make myself feel justifed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

flatluigi posted:

how exactly are you calculating that

moush posted:

Well I think his argument is that he actually makes money off MTGO so if he were to try playing arena he would have to buy cards. If he's as good as he says, he could likely go infinite in Arena after an initial buy-in. Even for me, someone who's pretty bad and buys packs every expansion, I haven't reached nearly as high as $1000.

Yeah it's this. I've made about 2000 tix since the London Mulligan was reimplemented on MTGO on July 2nd. If I were to have played Arena, I wouldn't have a cash-out option, and I likely would have had to buy a couple hundred bucks in packs since I hate bot drafts and my Arena account hasn't seen use since just after WAR came out.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Also I have no idea why they can't drop in Amonkhet and Kaladesh blocks as a whole. The cards already existed in the program

Because they'd have to ban a huge number of cards to avoid those blocks overshadowing the rest of the Historic format. As it stands, only small Teferi is likely to need to get banned eventually.

Also they probably will add those sets once it takes 2x wildcards to get anything from them.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

uggy posted:

I don’t understand historic I thought it was a format like modern where there’s a starting set and it goes to to current day. Why would they just add random rear end cards not even legal in modern? I’m confused on what they want that format to be.

they want the format the fail as hard as brawl or frontier, and there is precedent - they deliberately killed extended off way back when by cutting it from seven blocks to four blocks and then allowing the format to degenerate into garbage, and afterwards you had standard cards that were worthless after rotation because there wasn't anything between standard and legacy/vintage, so people started trying unsupported alternatives like "onslaught-forward" and then we got modern.

wotc would like nothing more than if cards that rotated out of standard ceased to exist

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

uggy posted:

They don’t really have to make historic tho, as arena stands right now, it’s solely standard and folks still play

Them trying to kill off something they never even had to make makes no sense to me so I feel like they just goofed and will change it

because if they said "your cards post-rotation are completely useless on mtg arena" things would go poorly for them, but if they make a new format for those rotated cards and make it bad/expensive enough that the playerbase drops it and matches never stop, then oh well guess you'll have to play the new standard/draft expansion.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

uggy posted:

^ truly different from what arena looks like now

Once your historic deck is made for the format magic doesn’t want around but made for some reason (not sure how this works) you never need to get any more cards, the format ends on the date you make your first deck and you never need newer cards

if wizards said, "your cards that rotate cease to exist with no compensation" do you seriously think arena is going to thrive?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

I can't figure out jack poo poo for the Throne of Eldraine spoiler season. No panel at PAX West, no date for the start of official spoilers, nothing.

they'll be giving all the spoilers to the top hearthstone streamers

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ilmucche posted:

I would love for one set to not have any spoilers and to walk into the prerelease completely blind. Could you imagine someone cracking a pack and screaming "They reprinted jace tms!!!"

They did a preview prerelease at Hasbrocon for Iconic Masters. That set was not a success.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

iconic masters is cheating and you know it

i paid for entry and played in a masters 25 booster box sealed tournament, i get to complain about those two horrendous masters sets all i want

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rkajdi posted:

Isn’t only one list per archetype common once the deck is standardized? I thought that wotc doesn’t show decks that aren’t different by a bunch of cards, so you do not see the same thing with different sideboards.

Yeah gotta be 20 cards different.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hauki posted:

what are the loving odds of hitting six land off a kaalia, having already seen 6/22

You just drew 6 cards by clearing off six useless lands!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Thanks to SFM I can not look crazy for maindecking pithing needles. I have had someone try to say I was cheating when I dropped a pithing needle vs their noble hierarch game 1. :shrug:

did you name noble hierarch

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sickening posted:

You guys being against fetches will never stop being funny. They aren't ever going away. They sell too many packs. Deal with it. :laffo:

well they don't sell many packs when they don't bother putting the loving things in packs

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Say I have a single creature in play with a Season of Growth, and a Bone Splinters in hand. I am able to cast Bone Splinters, targeting my creature, and sacrificing that same creature. On Arena, I do not draw a card. Bug, or does it somehow not count as casting a spell targeting your creature if the creature isn't in play when the trigger would go on the stack?

also why the gently caress do I need to restart Arena after every 6-7 games to stop it from visibly chugging, come on Wizards I'm willing to play Arena for the Omniscience drafts but it's hard when MTGO bugs are copied onto MTGA.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

I also would strongly recommend against drafting on Arena. It's fun in person with some friends though.

Yeah playing a bunch of Omniscience drafts reminded me just how much I hate bot drafts. The cards you want in Omniscience drafts are mostly garbage, so it's fine, but you get to see how absurd the individual card rankings are. Like, Unsummon is some sort of insanely high pick for the bots.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

I'm not sure if I see more Murders than Griffin Protectors because the bots are bad, or because I trained myself to ignore white cards, but it's close.

lol someone played a Griffin Protector against me in like my eighth draft and I was like, why is that an uncommon?

It isn't, I just managed not to see a single one in eight drafts, and no one had played one against me.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

There's no way the bot pick orders are based off human data, because they keep taking white cards in M20

Allegedly they took data from MTGO drafts in the past, where maybe taking a white card makes sense since you can be the only white drafter in the pod.

Obviously taking data from Arena drafts to tune the Arena bots would be pointless since you're usually railroaded into UB or Temur.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

So the spoiler season officially kicks off tomorrow with the stream, but they refuse to answer anyone's questions about what time it starts. Which makes sense, if you want to use a Twitch stream to start generating hype in order to drive sales of your newest product, the smart move is to not tell anyone when it starts, right?

honestly it wouldn't be that surprising if they haven't even decided on a start time yet

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Okay first, why is Screen Rant getting the first spoiler, and for the marquee planeswalker of the new set and new plane?

Second, it'd be cool if the shapeshifter planeswalker had 12 versions of himself.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I actually want the round Guilds rug. :ohdear:

:same:

looks nice

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'm going with Aftermath, where the spell can be cast from the yard once the creature is dead. The Beast card would be awkward, but the first Beast would fuel future ones if you can sac it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Card seems good if you want a 3/3 Flying Haste with a whole ton of optional effects - if you're playing against a control deck, you smack them for 4 and both of you draw a card, or maybe hit them for 3 and choose discard and get rid of some dead removal spell. The edict seems fine as a situational effect if the opponent just has a big ground idiot or two and you get to trade a faerie for a much larger creature.

If you're empty handed you can make only them discard a card and then both of you draw a card, which seems good.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

Does anyone know what those giant numbers on the wotc spoilers mean?

Countdown until they announce the abolishment of the reserve list and the reprint of 9 of the 10 ABU duals in Eldraine.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

that's a real good fuckin' card name

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

These have got to be the laziest set mechanics wotc has ever done

what were the set mechanics in Born of the Gods?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

like literally how can you look at these mechanics and not think they're lazy af?

because we've played multiple magic the gathering sets with poo poo like Amass or Addendum or Afterlife?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I found an old box in my house and it had some artwork I did when I was around 8 years old. :3:

i'd keep that opening hand

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Venerable Knight is the second good 1-drop Knight, so the Knights deck will be a thing. Whether it'll be top tier remains to be seen but if you wanna play Knights you can play a reasonable Knights deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

lol my opponent cast Single Combat while I had Korvold, Mayhem Devil, Orzhov Enforcer and another creature in play. They conceded when my triggers went on the stack.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Brawl event was okay, but the Knights deck was woefully underpowered compared to the other three, the Esper deck having Kaya's Wrath is bizarre given how many Islands it plays, and the Bant deck is basically impossible to beat if it gets its ramp and does nothing if it doesn't. The Jund deck is sick though.

Excellent.

Rinkles posted:

how does the and/or clause work? you don't get to choose, right? and if so, why not just "and"?

If you have an Artifact Enchantment, you only get 1 power from it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is this spoiler season heavily accelerated or is it just my perception of time compressing as I approach death, it feels like there was a bit more pacing to the release of WAR

I think they're taking the opportunity to revive Brawl with new spoilers on Arena, so we got a whole bunch of cards today. Which is silly because the left hand at WotC that was promoting Brawl should have told the right hand at WotC that was developing Arena that they should loving program Brawl into their flagship digital product, but whatever.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why did they allow planeswalkers...

i forgot they allowed planeswalkers, well maybe they'll ban teferi faster than they banned baral otherwise the format is dead on the vine

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jabor posted:

i guess getting to cast Repulse on turn 3 is just too much for the format to bear

generally getting to guarantee a Repulse on turn 3 that also disables the opponent's instants and doesn't cost a card from your hand and then sticks around to provide further value will allow you to craft a deck around that fact, using early removal to exhaust the opponent of resources that you'll then recover with your stupid three mana play or other typical UW Control stuff.

When Brawl first came out, Baral was the only option to play if you wanted to win, and it absolutely killed the format on MTGO (Brawl was never a thing in paper in any real quantity). WotC should probably seek to not kill it on Arena, and having the format devolve into nonsense UW Control mirrors is a good way for it to die.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

This Brawl thing is by a huge amount the most unfun event they've ever had on Arena.

Play one of the green decks. If your opponent plays turn 2 Signet and isn't playing the crappy Knights deck and you don't have ramp, just write the game off and concede.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Look at this guy who didn't play Planeswalker Momir.

oh my god that was loving awful

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Drak recursion

what?

Count Bleck posted:

Someone please help me I have a friend who is convinced Rankle is going to revitalize Faeries in modern and that we should buy Bitterblossoms before it's too late.

fuckin' lol

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Yay, now everyone's happy!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

Me thinking this card would be more than a side board option against fatty creatures the deck went from possible to almost zero

Rankle + Bitterblossom, choosing to Fleshbag Marauder every time the opponent plays a dorky ground creature, sounds like a pretty good lock against a bad 8th edition draft deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TheDemon posted:

Can even do it in Standard with Dreadhorde Invasion, sounds like a good lock against a bad Core 2020 draft deck.

naw there's way too much removal in 2020 for it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I assumed the ultimate was set up that was so you can choose the target after you draw your cards, so you know what you actually want to kill.