Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

!Klams posted:

That new retrace cascade card, Throes of Chaos in the historic Tibalts Trickery decks seems like utter bullshit? TOTALLY appreciate though that whenever anyone ever says that about magic, 99.9% of the time they're just bitching about their own personal experience and not really the holistic health of the situation. More than happy to hear "Eh, it whiffs a lot more than you think" or whatever. The last time I felt like this was about Oko, though.

There just doesn't feel like there's any realistic angle to attack it from? Prior to Throes of Chaos the deck ironically felt a lot more chaotic and like you could disrupt it easily enough, whereas now it's just utterly solid. I'm maindecking graveyard hate and counterspells, and it never feels enough?

I guess, actually, my question isn't "THIS IS BULLSHIT APPEASE ME" it's actually more like, "I assume this is actually fine, can you please explain to me why?"

If you’re playing Bo1 and don’t want to lose to it just play a control deck. Memory Lapse and Brazen Borrower ruins any Tibalt player’s day. If you want to get greedy and hope they aren’t playing Kosima, counter the spell AFTER the Tibalt resolves. If you want to be safe in hopes of them not hitting Kosima, counter the Trickery.

The deck is definitely actually a real deck with Throes though, you are right. Not having to play a bunch of useless dogshit 0-drops that you can still hit with Tibalt’s makes the deck much more consistent in terms of hitting targets (only another Trickery is a miss), and once you play one guarantees you can get the others every turn in a row as long as you have the lands.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

If nothing else he’ll be good in Brawl/Commander since you’ll almost always have a mana rock to untap to get 2 mana out of the +1

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Gramps posted:

I'm pretty new to the thread since I just started playing again but I would LOVE to actually talk about magic.

What's your favorite deck you ever played? This probably won't paint me in the best light but I played magnivore in Kami/Rav standard. That poo poo was not nice at all.

Kami/Rav standard ruled. I played the Early Harvest deck during that time so don't worry about being judged, every deck from back then was a miserable pile, it ruled.

Favorite deck of all time I played though was a U/G Tron deck in Kamigawa/Mirrodin to win an FNM against three Ravager Affinity decks when I was first starting Magic. Best night of my Magic-playing life.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it is curious we talked so much about this thread and not the set that literally released this week

and I think I know why, because it's not exciting

the two sets before that were an exception and we are back to "normal" Kaldheim/Strixhaven levels aka modern functional iterative
There is only so much discussion you can have about the potential of new cards before they’re released and in your (physical or digital) hands, because the set is literally NOT out yet.

You’re projecting your own personal feelings onto a set a lot of people are excited for, because for some reason you think the D&D set was some game-changing crazy set.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, I noticed this right away and I hate playing that card because of it.