Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
OP you should probably add the magic arena thread too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870609

Justin_Brett posted:

He can look like anything, so of course he defaults to a humanoid appearance about the same build as the rest of the Planeswalkers we have.

yeah bc then the magic players who play as human male warriors in RPGs wouldn't feel connected to him and sales would plummet, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
it's going to be a three dimensional flap that you flip over after activating

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
https://twitter.com/MTGatTCGplayer/status/1169119200381689856

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
i love all the art on the premium cards but i hope wizards didn't decide to make all of the cool art premium only

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
lots of times lgs's have unsold inventory that just sits around until the lgs goes under - my store just recently bought a whole bunch of sealed invasion/odyssey product (boosters / starter decks / precons etc) from a recently closed store, it happens all the time.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
yes. it enters the battlefield as a 0/0, the etb trigger goes on the stack, then it dies to state based actions- i think it would still die if the etb effect was a mass pump spell, but i'm not sure.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
that was for the "world exclusive" thursday event, regular sealed is 40

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
yeah these are cool but really shouldn't have been priced more than standard packs

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
i have no idea what half of this thread expects modern to be

its still too expensive but like, modern is fine

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
green and blue are the two best colors so why would you play anything else??

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
everything that could spike has already spiked, you should have got into it 2 months ago

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
tbh all the limited formats this year have been great

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
tons of casual magic fans complain about blue and counterspells all the time, but wizards still prints them

reprint ensnaring bridge but as an enchantment that costs www

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
ross merriam is a known tankie, yes

communism still owns though

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
i love helping out opening packs / organizing the magic cards at my lgs every new set release in exchange for a booster box or two but would never think of actually working there - its a completely different thing to my "real job" and i don't want my hobbies to become the thing i do for work - i never have to force myself to go if i don't want to the way i would if i was an employee

tinaun fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 30, 2020

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I love the mystery boosters but the card stock used for them are some of the worst magic card stock I have ever felt. They feel like fake cards.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
challenger decks are up https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/challenger-decks-2020-02-15

no teferi in fires is a miss but its the only one with a shock in it so w/e. nice to see fabled passage and embercleave show up

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
my store stopped buying cards, is cancelling all events starting monday and rapidly trying to sell off a whole bunch of their high priced singles to try and remain solvent for the next 6 weeks or so.

honestly i don't think they even had to cancel the events with how hesitant people are around here now, only 6 people came out for pioneer tonight instead of the usual ~25. (copies of pandemic legacy were flying off the shelves though :v) but any precaution is a good thing and i can't blame them

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
do commanders with partner count as the 101st card? ive never played with them.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/june-1-2020-banned-and-restricted-announcement

agent + fires banned in standard, suspended in historic

also the 3 mana thing

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I'd agree with it not affecting yorion at all if fires wasn't banned - paying 3 mana isn't a complete freebie anymore

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/introducing-jumpstart-new-way-play-magic-2020-02-20 the wording in this post makes me think that physical jump-start and arena jump-start might not have the same card lists

e: from looking at saffronolives twitter thread roughly 20 cards in jump-start will be different on arena https://twitter.com/HorizonFallacy/status/1273277776540438535/photo/1

tinaun fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 17, 2020

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
rhystic study and read the runes aren't coming to arena

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
honestly i really really liked all-oko standard

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

fadam posted:

My memory is kind of bad, but if they had just banned Uro instead of Growth Spiral last year do you guys think GS ever would have needed a ban? Wilderness Rec got banned at the same time and GS rotated out a few weeks after.

All those cards banned a month before rotation wouldn't have been banned if paper magic was a going concern at time, imo.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Huxley posted:

Wasn't one of Maro's hints "a brand-new, evergreen mechanic"

Surely that's Ward, maybe even completely replacing Hexproof.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/introducing-ward-2021-03-25

quote:

The two most common forms you'll see are costing additional mana (in white, blue, and green) and costing additional life (in black and red). These two approaches both protect against removal but ask different things of the rest of your deck and give opponents different incentives for when to bite the bullet and remove the warded creature. As we go forward, expect to see some more unique ward costs as well!

quote:

Moving forward, we are not taking hexproof out of Magic. There are a lot of cards where hexproof has more merit than ward. A common case being on combat tricks like Ranger's Guile and Snakeskin Veil, and sometimes those big creatures that are hard to interact with are positive additions to their environments (looking at you, Carnage Tyrant). At the end of the day, we've added another tool in the toolbox and will try to use it when it best suits a card.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Bugsy posted:

Have they said when arena is coming to app store today?

Its out now, try searching for "wizards of the coast"

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

hey mom its 420 posted:

Is it already known which mystic archives cards will not be in historic? I hope faithless looting stays :getin:

Banned in historic:
- Channel
- Counterspell
- Dark Ritual
- Demonic Tutor
- Lighting Bolt
- Natural Order
- Swords to Plowshares

Banned in historic brawl:
- Channel
- Demonic Tutor
- Natural Order
- Tainted Pact

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Note that Aether Helix is the only card at common or uncommon that can bounce tokens - the other blue bounce spell only hits things with a mana value of 1 or more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Pauper was a mtgo-only thing for years (and gained a sizable paper fanbase) before being offically sanctioned by WOTC after enough demand.

There's nothing stopping people from making historic decks in paper, but it doesn't feel unique enough yet for me to be interested in buying into it in paper, as someone who has modern + pioneer decks already.