Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Cynic Jester posted:

This is some next level trolling.

This wouldn't pass at an event, a judge would shut that poo poo down.

quote:

Artistic modifications are acceptable in sanctioned tournaments, provided that the modifications do not make the card art unrecognizable.....The Head Judge is the final authority on acceptable cards for a tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

uggy posted:

Ya I legit cannot tell how this card plays with it. 2 in the board but is it maindeck worthy

Swapping these into Legacy D&T for my 2 Ethersworn Canonist in the side.

Vialing in a Canonist is nice, but this is a massive upgrade for fighting Storm to be able to drop one turn 1 when currently the earliest you can fight back is turn 2 at best if you hard cast a Thalia or Canonist. It's also way harder to remove than a creature (less relevant, but still true).

Speaking of Legacy, anyone else going to GP Atlanta next weekend?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I love artists like that. Reminds me of a great video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjvO4r2SdZA

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sickening posted:

I really like the old frames on artifacts and all black cards.

All cards, really. The foils look gorgeous, I'd love to see that combined with the way they also treat the art with foiling now.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Katana Gomai posted:

I, too, look forward to the day W&6 gets banned in both Modern and Legacy.

I think it's fine in Modern, but it's getting obnoxious in Legacy. Already the 3-4 color piles that card has birthed have risen to 18% of the meta. Probably closer to 25% if you aggregate the various different versions that count as "X cards changed so it's a different deck".

For reference, the 2nd most prevalent deck in Legacy, Miracles, is only 5%.

I'd have to pull stats from back then to compare, but this feels a lot like where we were before Deathrite ate its ban because 4 color Leovold piles rose to similar prevalence, and those decks didn't even warp the format to the same extent Wrenn does (e.g. how much of Legacy is 1 toughness creatures he can ping, looping Wasteland, negating things like Wasteland and Rishadan Port that keep greedy mana in check, etc.).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's really not that bad. I hardly ever touch the thing and got past the level where you got the first upgrade for your lava cat pet on the last one.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Bugsy posted:

So whats the best version of Fires of Invention?

I'm loving my Grixis version because Nicol Bolas is the poo poo when you're playing so many other planeswalkers with him.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Q: What happens when you have 8 planeswalkers in play?
A: You have to scroll through them, apparently.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Framboise posted:

I know nothing about My Little Pony except that there are/were a lot of creepy dudes who jerked off to them and more or less hijacked a series for little kids.

The words "brony jar" kind of sum up that problem :barf:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm not usually big on Standard bans, but they're slipping back into old habits of providing incredibly powerful stuff and then not letting us interact with it. Maybe if Hushbringer actually had the full Torpor Orb ability to shut off land ETBs that would help, but really the only option right now is Unmoored Ego or incredibly expensive land destruction that only takes care of Field once it's out (and probably triggered at least once).

I've had to shift Ashiok to the main just to try to keep them from searching, but that's just a (very fragile) speed bump that also slows me down so they have time to just assemble their lands the old fashioned way and/or spend those turns dealing with my poo poo. The up-side is it saved my rear end against a rogue Chalice of Eternity reanimator-style Loch Ness Monster thing I ran into.

I love that Standard has a different line of attack with lands. But I'd also love to actually be able to beat that strategy some way other than "just do your own linear thing and try to win faster than they do".

In other news, why the gently caress does every pushed rare and mythic from Throne seem to have haste? Questing Beast is utterly obnoxious right now, and I'm really struggling to picture the process around how they designed that card and just kept tacking on more and more text.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Reprint Sowing Salt, tbh.

Yeah at least for the BFZ utility lands we had the Devoid equivalent whose name I forget but that did the same thing but exiling instead of destroying. If you print powerful lands and enablers like I Can't Believe It's Not Explosive Vegetation, Growth Spiral, and Risen Reef, just give us equally powerful answers to keep things fun.

Sickening posted:

What formats is Arcum's Astrolabe ruining?

Legacy and the current plague of Wrenn and Six piles.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah why the gently caress does a 3 mana planeswalker start with 6 loyalty on turn 2 (without fail it's always turn 2 off a goose then +2 to replace the food token). I also don't get why his second ability is a +1 instead of a -1.

We've come a long way from Kiora costing 4 and starting on 2 (/3) with just a +1 to nerf a single creature.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ilmucche posted:

Aren't there those white creatures who stifle etb and death effects?

Only for creatures, not lands, which is the entire problem. There's nothing that can interact with Fields of the Dead.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Andrast posted:

unban Birthing Pod

Sadly it probably isn't even that good right now, but still....:same:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
This is my current version of it: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2312055#paper

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I might be done with Arena until this ban happens. I just lost a game 3 I had outplayed my opponent in 9 different ways, but because that deck is a miserable loving grind (and he kept topdecking exactly what he needed to buy another turn) I lost on time on the turn where I was finally swinging for lethal. It's not even "I'm sick of losing to it", I'm just sick of these infuriatingly slow games.

gently caress Arena's performance, also. It has a memory leak or something, and even playing this on a 9 month old top of the line gaming PC I get hit with insufferable lag after about an hour of playing. If it wasn't for that I'd also have probably had the extra 4 seconds I needed to make that attack.

If I exit and restart the program, it's good for another hour, but that doesn't help me when I'm over an hour into a best of 3.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Also just saw the GP schedule for next year.....seems like I chose a good time to gently caress off out of Florida early next year. Our one GP a year is now downgraded even more (Palm Beach), and there's no Atlanta at all, so the next closest is Charlotte.

I guess gently caress the entire Southeast. This place is a desert for magic at this point. Florida hasn't had an open in like 4 or 5 years, either.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
For a while the price of standard was way down. The biggest improvement was around BFZ when the Expeditions drove down singles prices and so much product was being opened. I feel like, as much as I love the Collector Boosters, that undermines the whole idea behind these ultra-premium cards as tools to help the game stay accessible while giving players like me who like the shiny things some new toys.

That said, it's still not nearly as bad as it's been in the past. There are a few $500+ outliers, but for the most part a $300ish average for a competitive deck isn't amazing but isn't too awful, with a lot of that being tied up in shocklands that you can use in Modern. Having a tier 1 deck is never going to be that cheap no matter what happens.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Voyager I posted:

Uh, actually BFZ completely hosed the price of Standard by combining types duals to combine with fetchlands. Every deck was some 4c pile running 12+ Fetches and then probably also a playset of Baby Jace at like $70 a pop. The competitive decks of that era were no-poo poo $700 and the backlash online was immense.

I feel like this is deliberately misunderstanding what I said. I didn't say "BFZ Standard" (as in right as that set was released), I said "around BFZ", which is when the first steps were taken to fix that exact situation caused by KTK fetchlands and Origins cards, not by BFZ cards being expensive. As soon as KTK rotated, look at the price of standard decks compared to months earlier.

Even prior to Khans, standard decks were more expensive than they are now, pushing $400 on average. But we're seeing an uptick again, which is thanks to moving what was a great tool for keeping singles prices down into separate products.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Retromancer posted:

$200 e-reader

Not even. These things have come way down in price. I just had to replace mine and the latest generation paperwhite even with the extortion fee to remove the ads was only like $140.

I don't know if there's a way to bypass linking an amazon account to it, but if you report it stolen to Amazon they shouldn't be able to register it and/or Amazon can find out who has it if they see that serial number get used.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Framboise posted:

I've never understood why opinions are treated so objectively. I don't think it's wrong to assess a card before it's released-- just be pleasantly surprised when your assessment is right.

It's okay to initially be incorrect as long as you revise your assessment after more evidence is gathered.

Most people forget they were ever wrong and hence never get any better at this poo poo. See every post in here declaring every planeswalker pure hot garbage every single set.

If you see that you're always wrong and how, there's a slim hope you might realize the way you're thinking is a bit off and you change.

But this is the internet, so everyone will just race to be the first to declare how awful every card is then wait for the pros to tell them what they're allowed to play this season.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

tbf I think Arena is both horribly optimized from the start and has a bad leak. It's way greedier on resources than similar games, even in the first match. And then it doesn't take many matches to become completely unplayable on my laptop.

One really easy win would be to just give us the ability to turn these dumb animations and poo poo off in settings.

Not only would it probably free up some resources, but I really loving hate if, for example, I finally get an Ashiok late in the game and have to wait forever for it to animate every card going into exile and play a whoosh sound. It still runs your clock while that's going on, I've had that gently caress up a game for me.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I can't fathom why they wouldn't hit something in Modern or Legacy (they went out of their way to assure us no Vintage shenanigans right before eternal weekend). Guess I'm done with those formats for a while, I'm really sick of nothing but Urza and Wrenn and Six piles respectively.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

axeil posted:

Reading into this I guess we aren't getting fetches into standard in the later sets this block.

I thought that at first, too, but I can see them just tacking them onto the Pioneer banlist as soon as they're announced since banning the other 5 sends the clear message to not expect them to be allowed.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Thinking about the time period this format covers, I do have a prediction (assuming anyone even plays it).

Black will be the dominant color the way Blue is in Legacy. This is the era of deliberate anti-power-creep and nerfing spells into nothing. Aside from RTR itself, these blocks had ever-increasing creature power levels, but spells did the opposite for most colors.

Lightning Bolt was deemed too strong for Standard after 17 years for some reason and hasn't been printed since M11 (so pre-Innistrad). One mana removal with drawback in white is gone. Hell we don't even get Oblivion Ring anymore for 3 mana, it's either restricted to specific permanents (Prison Realm), restricted by type AND CMC (Glass Casket, Baffling End), or it costs 4+ mana (Cast Out, Ixalan's Binding). This is after they stopped printing 4 mana white wrath effects. Blue counter-magic we rarely get under 3 mana anymore, and it's always restricted if we do. Gone are the days of Mana Leak. At least Blue gets its delve spells that needed to be banned in every other format, I guess.

Meanwhile what's in Black for Pioneer? Thoughtseize, Fatal Push, a host of other decent 2-mana removal, 3 mana flex spells (still at instant speed) like Hero's Downfall and now Murderous Rider.

Even when you get into Gold spells, the winners are still black: Abrupt Decay, rear end Trophy, Dreadbore, Bedevil.

Green would come in second since this is going to be heavily midrange-centric, plus you have the gold spells I mentioned if you also play Black.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ItBreathes posted:

Everything is frowned upon in this thread. :justpost: and don't let the rampant negativity drive you away from the game.

This is the perfect summary of this game in general.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ItBreathes posted:

Historic is the same poo poo every digital card game does. It's weird they're not trying to make it a thing in paper but otherwise it's hard to give wizards flak on that one as they're just following the leader, and likewise will do as little as possible to try and get people to play it.

Yeah that one's understandable. The cards are already there and doing nothing in people's collections, it takes minimal effort to just copy the Standard events and just plug in a new list of what's legal.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ItBreathes posted:

Somebody PM me when it's spoiler season again.

:same:

Or when this format gets its own thread elsewhere.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Only if it's to piss on them

And all the assholes who had to keep forcing it until it was finally enforced by the update today (I honestly don't get why it couldn't be implemented immediately like it was on MTGO).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Toshimo posted:

I assure you the entire project will be carved out of pure Sheldonium and worthless to commander players, but will accidentally include a legacy staple, making one of the precons unattainable by the casual player.

Yeah the first thing I said after watching the video was, "There's no way they're not accidentally breaking Legacy with that many new cards, they already gently caress up with just 4 or 5 new ones at a time."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Hellsau posted:

0% though they fuckin' should have emergency banned Oko at the same time they emergency banned Field.

Yeah no chance they're doing it since that requires going back on their baffling "we're not banning anything until after the pro tour" statement.

Somehow not admitting you were dumb is more valuable than losing 3/4 of your potential audience who are going to go, "No point in watching 17 hours of Oko mirrors, wake me up when the banlist update goes into effect so we can play this format again."

Side note: I was annoyed as gently caress when Field was banned and it took almost a week to kick in. I feel like an extra deployment for your platform that's going to win back how many players the instant it goes live is worth the tiny bit of extra work (though I'm assuming their process isn't the the stupidest thing possible and completely manual, which is undoubtedly exactly what they do given their digital track record...).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Human Crouton posted:

Why do people have to inject their activism into absolutely everything? It's a card game. Let it be a card game.

Ok boomer.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

venutolo posted:

The MicroProse Shandalar game got me back into MTG after 22 year away. I was very much enjoying the computer game and wanted to reacquaint myself with the decks you could build with those old cards. Did some Googling and came across the Old School/93-94 format and I enjoyed looking at those decks and articles about the format. That lead me to want to check out present-day MTG. I also found a nice cache of old cards (power nine, duals, four horseman) in the closet at my mom's place.

Finishing my set of power nine, so if you're going to sell that poo poo, hit me up. Also any alpha you might have.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

venutolo posted:

I already sold what I was going to sell. No Alpha stuff. Had some various Beta stuff.

drat, I needed that Pearl and Ruby :negative:

Congrats on winning the lotto in your attic, it's a nice change that someone isn't full of poo poo about something like this.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ptroll posted:

Hell yeah we are

It's a nice change that they actually implemented this poo poo the day it was announced instead making us wait like last time. Gives me a sliver of hope that they are capable of learning from their horrible mistakes.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

PleasantDirge posted:

The chemical companion of choice for concentration is called provigil/modafinil and it's loving great! Fighter pilots take it to stay sharp on 6 hour plus flights and it's not a stimulant like ADHD meds (stay the Holy hell away from dexedrin etc) so it's nowhere near as rough on your body.

This is an absolute must for me to survive GPs because I have narcolepsy and this is a loving miracle drug that lets me function like my brain chemistry isn't hosed :smith:, I really wish others wouldn't abuse it because as a result it's unnecessarily difficult for me to get a legitimate prescription for an actual medical problem covered by any insurance plan.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 19, 2019

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah pretty much. There's actually a big thing I got in the mail on my desk next to me right now about a settlement relating to modafinil because of course they were fixing the price. Even with insurance I was supposed to pay almost $400 for a 30 day supply the first time it was prescribed to me. Now I have much better insurance and it's still in the most expensive tier on my plan.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

rkajdi posted:

For narcotics yes. But there's piles of medicine that are dangerous outside of its intended use, things like insulin or chemo drugs. We keep that stuff behind a prescription wall because if you think that dumb things like "miracle medical cure" (literal bleach) can produce dumb fake science, just wait until some quack has people taking chemo drugs to cure autism.

Same with antibiotics that are overused as it is, imagine if that poo poo was available OTC. A bigger problem is crap like "prior authorization" that are much bigger barriers to getting drugs when your insurance company can just go "nah, you don't actually need that thing your doctor prescribed".

In news actually related to magic, I just found out my LGS is partnering with some guy to set up a separate "singles store" inside the game room (and merge their inventories to have better selection). The big win there is you don't clog up the front counter when people always come in with the decklist that won last weekend that they want to buy every card for, especially when they always want do that 5 minutes before an event.

They're also overhauling their event schedule....and now we get Legacy on Saturdays :dance:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

odiv posted:

Oh hey, that reminds me. Is the Legacy cube still on or did I miss it?

You missed it but you really didn't miss much (it's always just idiots trying to force mono red, I don't get it in a format that's supposed to just be fun, but this iteration in particular was just not good for me).

Vintage cube is in a few weeks.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
On top of that they seem completely oblivious to context. Having this released immediately after the Autumn lands incident really makes it that much more cringey to do a sudden 180 on this storyline.

Did they intend it this way? Probably not. Does that matter? Nope. All that matters is that this looks really bad, and they need to own that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Never change, magic thread.

Everyone I've talked to who isn't a goon who thinks every product needs to be "Eternal Constructed Playables Worth a Lot of Money: The Box" loves this and is excited to see what the other ones are.