Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Can’t wait for the top down three little pigs card. Maybe it’s a vertical cycle!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

lmaoing imagining them extending this principle to paper. Now you need two copies of any card you want to play. Put them in the same sleeve. You better believe during deck checks judges will be making sure you didn’t sleeve your four Stoneforge mystics on top of four draft commons to sneak them through!!!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

it’s too soon to tell how modern looks but, with the huge asterisk that not hitting stirrings may have been a mistake, I wouldn’t be surprised if the format winds up in the best place it’s been since 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

This opens up a question for me: how did they decide to make what duals have the basic land types? The original duals had those land types, but only some of the later dual lands would be “Swamp Plains” or whatever. Why the shocks and not others?

having basic land types is a huge, huge, huge advantage, not only because of fetches but because of stuff like farseek, gift of estates, the pitch cards from masques block, etc etc. between 1993 and 2005 they never made another set of typed duals because of how powerful they are. when they finally decided to make another cycle they were likewise format-defining in power. since then they’ve experimented a couple times with typed duals, once with a somewhat onerous condition to ETBU, once that just straight up always ETBT, but basically it’s so powerful that they have to be careful.

generally duals operate along three axes:
1) do they have types, if so how many (they could, for example, print a non basic forest that can also tap for R but not be a mountain; there’s a lorwyn land that does this)
2) do they enter tapped or untapped, and how easy is it to make them enter untapped (checklands very easy, fastlands somewhat less easy)
3) do they have some other secondary effect, like temples or refuges

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i was hoping we’d get at least a couple of teaser spoilers this weekend. come on WOTC!!! Feed the maw!!!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The really funny thing about BFZ standard was that lots of people were actually predicting fetches in Ducks block (what became khans) because that was the soonest opportunity to print them so that they wouldn’t overlap with RTR shocks, and we all knew a reprint was due. and, sure enough, they printed them as soon as they wouldn’t overlap with shocks, which would obviously be a terrible idea
and thennnnnnnnn

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Dear Arena players,
We couldn’t be more thrilled about how the first month of Historic has turned out! It’s been a pleasure watching you all brew the craziest combos and most powerful decks Arena has to offer. As we said when we launched the format, we’re periodically going to be adding potent cards from Magic’s history to Historic and we can’t wait to see what you do with them!
The following cards will be legal in the Historic format starting next Monday:
-Amulet of Quoz
-Jeweled Bird
-Bronze Tablet
-Demonic Attorney
-Darkpact

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

feel a little dumb having sold my swords of the meek at 16 but I bought at 8 so I can’t feel that bad

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I don’t mind if graveyard decks are good
I just don’t want them to be able to cast ancestral recall :)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Protein Powder
Token Artifact
T, Sac: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn

Beefy Bear
1G
When ~ enters the battlefield, create one Protein Powder
2/2

Gym Rat
2B
When ~ enters the battlefield, you lose 2 life and create 2 Protein Powder
3/2

Swole Patrol
3W
Vigilance
When ~ enters the battlefield, create 1 Protein Powder
2/4

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

1) so do we have confirmation for how Adventures work? Activated ability, castable from graveyard, castable from hand, or are we just guessing?

2) lmbo goldilocks is a berserker

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

that makes me think you can't use both sides because that card would be fairly nuts if you could. "G: make a 1/1" is a fairly gross repeatable effect to tack onto a 3 mana 5/5 (even one that can't attack most of the time but can still block). i think they're probably sorcery/creature split cards; the sorcery half resolves and goes to the yard like a normal sorcery, the creature once resolved effectively doesn't have the adventure text box.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i honestly think it's just a creature/spell split card because too many of the other options make the beauty and the beast card absolutely bugfuck nuts.
if it's an activated ability it's the best one they've printed on a creature since stoneforge
if it's an aftermath style card it's a hyper-efficient beater that basically always two-for-ones your opponent
even if it's an activated ability you can only use once it's busted for the above reasons combined. plus the last two times they did that (monstrous, renown) they used +1/+1 counters to solve the "memory issues" problem, and neither of the cards we've seen do that, so it's very very unlikely that that's how it works. also activated abilities don't have names.

so my guess is it's a split card; you can cast it as a sorcery, in which case it resolves as a sorcery and goes to your yard, wherein it is both a creature and a sorcery. or you can cast it as a creature, in which case its "adventure" text box is blank.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

It's not going to be literally a split card because we just had split cards so it's got to be something along the lines of forecast or a one time activated ability or something. It probably can't be forecast because then you could do it multiple times and the one Mana card would be a mythic uncommon that's almost unbeatable.

it's absolutely not an activated ability because 1) it can't be multiuse because otherwise the beast one is one of the most broken cards of the last few years and 2) they don't do single-use activated abilities without some kind of counter to solve the memory problem

it might be forecast or some kind of aftermath effect, but forecast is an 8 on the storm scale for a bunch of reasons, and i don't think it's aftermath because a 1 mana 1/1 that you can then cast from your yard as a 3 mana 5/5 is busted for standard. it's actually better than that because the 1/1 doesn't have to die first.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

I mean, the counter is the token these are creating.

ok, so what happens when the token dies, or when they print an adventure that does anything except make a token

i can sort of see it as a redo of spellshapers-- discard a card to activate the adventure-- but they generally don't like repeatable effects because they make the play pattern boring. maybe you exile the creature and pay the cost to cast it, but then the noble's is terrible.

given that the adventure half has its own name, mana cost, type and subtype, i can't imagine that it's anything but a split card.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

e: ^^^^ If it's a split card why give it a subtype and all that. Also the two halves in the examples dovetail too nicely to be one or the other on their own.

1) so that other cards in the set can mechanically interact with it ("return target adventure from your graveyard to your hand" "adventure spells you cost cast one less" "whenever you cast an adventure spell, deal 2 damage to target player")
2) they're thematic, and they enable each other. draw two beasts? cast one and adventure the other to turn the first on.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 4, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Kalli posted:

If you can re-cast the sorcery parts of Storybook cards Run Away Together may have some pretty solid upside.

Run Away Home actually has decent synergy with Adventure if it works the way I keep suggesting it does-- you can throw down a creature, then if later in the game you would rather cast the spell, you can bounce it to your hand and cast it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

so it’s kicker AND split cards in one
Card 1 is a creature
Card 2 is an instant or sorcery with “kicker make a dude” but you can kick later

Mikujin posted:

Instant/Sorcery and Creature are both supertypes.

No they’re just types. Legendary is a supertype

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

reminder text implies that it’s part of the adventure resolving but we’ll see when the comp rules update

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

too bad we’re losing History of Benalia, Dauntless Bodyguard, Call the Cavalry and Aryel

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

corpse knight, knight of the ebon legion and midnight reaper are the playable ones there. possibly the two skyknights if it doesn't gently caress up your mana too hard

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

Imo it's closer to kicker because you have two options when you cast it and that determines what happens later

Obviously not a perfect analogy in this case, this is one of the few mechanics that isn't just a subset of kicker, split cards, or <blank>back

it's basically a split card
side #1 is a creature
side #2 is a spell that lets you later cast a creature

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

is that garruk the buy a box or what

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Afaik the "when you do" templating isn't something they'd need to use there but maybe they're changing how they do that.

it would mean the damage is a separate triggered ability that triggers off the card draw and hence doesn't trigger if the draw is prevented, i think

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Kicker is “the same card can be small or big,” split cards is “the card can do one of multiple things.” That’s it. Almost every interesting spell mechanic lets you either get more out of your card under certain situations (Awaken lets you kick with mana to get a creature, conspire lets you kick by tapping creatures to copy the spell) or do one of multiple things with your card (fabricate is one big or multiple smaller creatures, bloodrush is a creature or a pump spell).

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

Are BFZ/OGW the actual worst sets in modern? I think it's a case that could be made

OGW is singlehandedly responsible for one of the top tier decks in the format. BFZ is probably the worst designed set since saviors though

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

remember that a huge portion of modern’s power comes from ZEN-INN, a total of seven sets (plus cores). Worldwake alone had Stoneforge, JTMS, Amulet, allied manlands, eye of ugin, deaths shadow, searing blaze...

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Retromancer posted:

the rules text on eternal scourge and the relevant reminder text for adventure are almost identical and currently if you're not following wotc staff on twitter it's easy to see how someone could think that these are just creatures that shrug off being exiled.

the creature isn’t an adventure, it’s a creature. adventure refers only to the spell half. I appreciate that the stupid frames make this non-intuitive, but an adventure card isn’t a creature with a weird ability, it’s a split card where casting the spell half first lets you cast the creature half later. The only place on the card where “you may cast this from exile” might live is in the word “adventure,” which is tied to the resolution of an instant or sorcery.

I think that choosing to use this frame is a mistake because my guess is a lot of people are going to think either 1) the adventure half is an ability the creature has or 2) the adventure text is relevant in circumstances other than you actually casting the sorcery or instant.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Shabadu posted:

How do split cards work for the purposes of searching for a card type though? These creatures with adventure are only searchable with effects that state "creature" even if the adventure has a instant or sorcery typing.

Split cards are both types of card. These aren’t, which is further confusing. This mechanic is starting to look a lot like bestow: somewhat intuitively grokkable, but full of weirdly shaped corner pieces that make it interact badly with the rest of the comp rules

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Tainen posted:

I don’t remember seeing the alt art for this one yesterday but it is fantastic!

holy poo poo I just realized this card is the blue faerie from Pinocchio

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Quick, tell me all of the reasons I should stick to BW tokens and not play this ridiculous 14 anthem deck I've just come up with at FNM tomorrow:

3 Force of Virtue
4 Intangible Virtue
3 Honor of the Pure
4 Leyline of the Meek
4 Auriok Champion
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Spectral Procession
4 Lingering Souls
2 Path to Exile
2 Secure the Wastes
2 Generous Gift
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

2 Silent Clearing
4 Marsh Flats
3 Godless Shrine
1 Swamp
2 Westvale Abbey
10 Plains

side:
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
1 Disenchant
1 Nature's Chant
1 Runed Halo
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Wrath of God
1 Settle the Wreckage
1 Rule of Law
2 Beckon Apparition
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Do I jam a few legion's landings in? or find a place for elspeth tirel?

Silent Clearing
Marsh Flats
Path to Exile
Secure the Wastes
Force of Virtue
Intangible Virtue
Leyline of the Meek

Keep or mull?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I mean the deck is bad for a lot of other reasons but I want to note that there’s a nonzero chance you give your opponent a 4/4 elephant lol

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the reason someone like that is infecting your playgroup is that since wrenn and six legacy is now like 90% fair incremental value delver decks with four colors

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I know that Maro likes to be build himself up as the hero who gave us what we wanted, but who are these goofs who kept shooting down Fairy Tale Plane but thought Arthurian legend was actually loving interesting, and when are they all going to be fired?

there are real people walking around among us who hate the existence of the card noggin whack because it's Too Silly

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

that is a very good card

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mono B aggro seems like it's going to be quite strong come rotation. the curve of 1/2 pump knight into 2/2 flyer into kill your dude and leave behind a castable 2/3 lifelinker seems very strong, and they're all knights, so any mono B knight synergies are just gravy.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Yeah the BW Knights deck looks sick, with reasonable mana thanks to the Mardu Knight land, two great 1-drops in Knight of the Ebon Legion and Venerable Knight, and some excellent 2 and 3 mana plays. Circle of Loyalty is a fine top-end to outgrind the opponent late game.

Haven't seen a reason to splash Red yet.

white gives you venerable knight, corpse knight, and wintermoor commander, plus some non-knight stuff like hero of precinct one. i think the synergies are reasonable.

i still might try mono-B aggro with gutterbones, disfigure, etc. just run 20-land super low-to-the-ground aggro.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

PEASANT

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Tibalt posted:

I'm having trouble evaluating that card. Your opponent gets to tap it down for 3 turns but you gain 9 life and draw 3 cards... seems good.

desecration demon was quite good in mono-B control. it was slightly cheaper and didn't give your opponent stuff to tap it down for free, but you also didn't gain life and draw cards when they tapped it down.
so i dunno. the fail case here of spending 5 mana on a threat and getting Murdered (or Murderknighted) is pretty bad, since you just gave oppo three dorks. the case where they sacrifice them one at a time to tap down your troll is also pretty meh, because 3BB to extremely slowly gain 9 and draw 3 is probably not good.

hard card to evaluate. this thing is gigantic and ends the game really fast once it can start cracking in. it probably completely sucks against any kind of blue-based control deck, though, between Narset and Teferi.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

They can tap it down for longer than 3 turns, but of course at some point they have to start providing their own sacrifices (and you keep getting resources). Also, you can pressure their creature base to make it more difficult for them to sac.

On the other hand, not only does it die to removal, but if it dies to removal immediately, they get three free tokens.

Compare it to Risk Factor, which already doesn't seem to get played much anymore (granted, this is partly due to red currently benefiting from an embarrassment of riches when it comes to drawing/seeing extra cards). It's a sweeter deal for your opponent, all else held equal; each extra card they give you prevents 8 damage, as opposed to 1.33 damage for Risk Factor. It also comes out at a clunkier spot on the curve, and is more vulnerable to countermagic (and is vulnerable to creature removal at all). For these alone, I don't think it's great, but watch me be proved wrong again.

edit: then again I forgot the desecration demon comp, which is a pretty good point.

iirc desecration demon didn't see any play in INN/RTR standard and only started seeing play when Thoughtseize and Gary and Nykthos made a mono-B deck with lots of B symbols attractive. it was just a fat finisher for the deck; they probably would have been just as happy to play the GRN mythic surveil demon if it had existed then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

that faerie is incredibly good, y’all on some poo poo if you don’t see that. I had to read it twice to make sure it didn’t say counter target noncreature spell that cost 3 or less. Spells that give you a card’s worth of value and then become a not-totally-embarrassing creature are always better than they look.

Huxley posted:

It just feels like they're being really careful, because of all the ones we've seen there's been only one side of the split that would be a constructed playable on its own, and even that wouldn't be a guaranteed windmill 4-of.

Maybe careful is exactly right, or maybe they've got something up their sleeves.

not to pick on you but this is exactly the opposite of the right way to evaluate split cards. If one half is constructed playable then the card is strictly better than a constructed playable card, which usually means it’s bonkers. Choice is super valuable. Nobody would play just Fire or just Ice (welllllll maybe on that latter as a one-of) but Fire//Ice is an all-timer. This goes double for Adventures because you get BOTH halves.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 10, 2019