Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
lol everything about historic in that announcement is so dumb. It's going to be expensive, randomly have unknown cards plopped into it disputing the meta, and the ranked queue will only be around for limited periods of time. They are literally trying to make this as bad as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Cactrot posted:

It all depends on what lands get introduced, checklands could be absolutely useless if something better ends up in the format.

And the great thing is better lands could be introduced at literally any time! You'll never know if you will suddenly need to upgrade your land base at twice the cost, or if your entire deck will become useless! But don't worry because you won't even be about to play ranked most of the time anyway!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

rkajdi posted:

Well, yeah. Wizards doesn't really see much money from modern either (mh 1 being an exception) so it doesn't surprise me that we're going to see some sort of tax on playing historic so that they still see pack sales from it. It's just being done in the shittiest possible way.

They would still have seen pack sales because packs are the only way to get wildcards anyway! There is no shop to buy singles from, historic players have to crack packs like everyone else.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

ilmucche posted:

Are 2-3 colour decks a huge problem compared to monocolour decks? I thought it had more to do with shuffling.

I think a single land being able to generate potentially 3 or more colors is always going to be problematic. Another issue with fetches is that they make all of the other dual lands that lack a basic type so bad. Check lands, fast lands, etc are so much worse than shocks and duals in a format with fetches.

Edit: the thing that I think shows fetches are busted is that they show up in mono colored decks sometimes for the utility factors.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

whydirt posted:

I thought the bigger issue was the time sink (and increased opportunity to cheat) in tabletop play due to all the extra shuffling that fetches + shocks bring to a format.

Fetches are unhealthy for the game for a bunch of reasons.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

ilmucche posted:

I think we're saying the same thing from different sides. Fetch + shock lets multicolour decks run smoothly. Anything 5c is going to run vials or caverns anyway, why is making jund viable a bad thing? Without the fetch + shock combo wouldn't Tron just dominate everyone?

I don’t think anyone is advocating removing fetch lands from existing formats, too much other stuff is balanced around them. It’s just they are creating a new format and it would be better not to include design mistakes like fetch lands or Tron in it.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

GoutPatrol posted:

Looking at what they published in the 5-0s there was more Batterskull and fire and ice. You have the removal lottery with war and peace, sinew and steel, and light and shadow. There isn't a dominant enough color in modern to get it right every time, especially when there are many colorless decks as well.

The 5-0s aren't a good source for this. If someone 5-0d with a similar deck with a different equipment package it wouldn't show up.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Sickening posted:

M20 has more cards with shuffling than khans. War of the spark does as well. Shuffling in paper isn’t going away. Just make a format where every deck doesn’t want to include 8 fetches and everyone wins.

What would make people not want to pay fetches? The only thing that really punishes are stifle and can't search the library effects. They are even resistant to non basic hate since you can fetch your basics in response

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Tainen posted:

Seems like we are getting a preview every hour leading up to the stream tomorrow

I'm unreasonably mad about the flavor of this. The art shows her having killed 2 bears, but as a 1/2 she is incapable of killing any! And her ability let's her kill enchantments and artifacts, but according to our latest science bears are neither of those.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

that's why she dies to destroy an artifact, which is what food probably is.

She died for that porridge.

THEN HOW DID THE BEARS IN THE ART DIE?????

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Lone Goat posted:

lol just lol if your game don't have robo bears

That doesn't activate kill command, it's just a robot disguised as a bear.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Is this the first Monty Python reference? Proud of wizards for the restraint.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
5/4 flying wall for two Mana seems playable on its own, the fact that it eventually becomes a win con is just gravy.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

BrianBoitano posted:

"can't be prevented" clause always seems so :flaccid:. Is it just meant for non-Standard formats? I can't imagine it mattering outside of fog. I guess maybe the pseudo phantom creatures? https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle%3Aprevent+legal%3Afuture

Great card without it, confused about why they chose that add-on.

It works against protection if they block your creature you can play this in response and the damage will go through.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Kurieg posted:

Yeah. It feels like it should have flying, but it doesn't.

I’m almost sure this is what it is from the art.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Why is that Shepherd stronger at attacking then a knight? It seems weird to call out that he doesn't have a sword but he can kill an elephant.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Hellsau posted:

Did she ever answer the question? I really want to know who smiles at death.

Everybody, because when you are a skeleton you'll always be smiling!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Good point, rogue decks have never performed well and come out of nowhere

The question is did they only do well because people didn't know their deck list, or because they were good, people didn't have experience playing against them or sideboard hate. Because only one of those changes with open deck lists.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Wafflecopper posted:

"one of my friends did the lands and the other did the spells" is a really convenient/suspect explanation though, like why would you divide the labour that way? Wouldn't you just grab half each?

The friend posted on Twitter, backing up his story: https://twitter.com/Rosezeiii/status/1175589788013006849 I’m still skeptical, but the story is plausible.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Tulul posted:

I forgot if Monkey was a creature type or not, which led to my discovery of this amazing factoid:

Here's that citation. We got robbed on Force of Will's name.

We got robbed of a gorilla set!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
You can't just pick a job and say whether it's a present, there is a social context to consider. Eldraine with it's emphasis on knights and kings is a different social milleau than Innistrad or other planes.
That said the queen of bears is clearly a noble, get your poo poo together WotC.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

ungulateman posted:

the entire legacy goblins deck (except lackey) is legal in modern between horizons and m20, and they got munitions expert on top of that

the problem is that the rest of the decks in the format are a lot better than that because urza [and all his friends] and wrenn and six are dumb

plague engineer is quite possibly the last card on the list of things to complain about in modern

Wasteland and Rishadan port aren’t modern legal either which are pretty critical to the deck.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
This seems so stupid, it's been two days and they've changed their minds?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Huh, I wondered why he was streaming Magic today

He said that he will still stream hearthstone, just not take any paid positions with Blizzard.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I don't think vintage style restricted lists, but I think an FFG style list of you can only have one of these cards could work, though at the cost of bookkeeping.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Darius099 posted:

I am trying to teach some new player friends about magic and wanted to use some youtube videos they can watch and follow on their own time. However, MTG (and Youtube MTG) is full of loving total chuds and I don't want to choose a stealth one.

Is the Tolarian Community College dude okay/reliably non-chud for teaching some fundamentals? Is there another series of videos/creator that's worth doing instead?

MTG Arena has a pretty decent tutorial, I think it's worth downloading and playing through for a new player.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Panzeh posted:

Wasteland is a piece of poo poo card to have in the first place, it was bad before W&6.

Wasteland is good because it rewards basics and helps slow the game down. Print wasteland in standard.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Panzeh posted:

It creates a bunch of non games as one-landers will often just fold to wasteland.

When you keep a really greedy hand sometimes you get punished, and when I've been on the receiving end I've never felt it was unfair since I kept the greedy hand. As compared to your opponent cast blood moon on turn one and literally never being able to cast a spell which just feels out of my control. W6 letting people recur it so easily is a problem, but since standard doesn't have W6 I legitimately think it would be better off with wasteland.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

No Wave posted:

I dont understand why thats desirable, if mana is too generous just print less generous mana or better aggressive cards.

A greedy mana base, by the fundamental design of MTG, is already a downside and you shouldnt need cards that specifically punish that if the set design isnt broken. (I'm talking about standard as this convo started around wasteland in standard)
I think it allows for interesting decisions in deck building and mulliganing. Weighing the risk and rewards of a greedy Mana base and trying to predict your opponents play.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
You shouldn't keep one landers in standard though. Like, if you keep a one lander and have a nongame you have no one but yourself to blame.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I think every format besides pauper needs some good plansewalker removal. Right now they have become just too strong and almost never have a downside to just throwing them down besides counterspells. It's just ridiculous.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The thing that really amazes me is how few plansewalkers from before WAR see any Modern or Legacy play now. It's pretty much big Karn, JTMS, and Ugin? For a permanent type that has existed for 12 years now I think there has been some clear powercreep.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mae posted:

A little while ago they were being really careful referring to Taiwan as Chinese Taipei, so they’re either messing up or there’s been a policy change

Chinese Taipei is the name China and Taiwan mutually agreed Taiwan would compete under for international events, do that one isn't really a controversy.
I'm amazed at this threads ability to see a good thing and immediately start taking about how it will become bad. If WotC screws this up then react, but let's enjoy it while it's good.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Toshimo posted:

Ignoring your weird Chinese apologia, at the time, the team registered itself as Team Taiwan, and Wizards forced them to change it to remain in the event. So, yes, it was a controversy, and no, the Taiwanese aren't stoked about the whole thing.

I'm sorry I phrased that poorly. The Chinese Taipei issue isn't free from controversy, but it is the name that Taiwan agreed to go by for international competitions. My second point of the something good was in reference to LSTs protest and Wizards handling of it so far, which at the present I think WotC has done a good job with. That wasn't clear in my first post, for which I apologise.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Sex Weirdo posted:

I noticed that Embercleave went from $5 to $17 overnight, presumably due to the ban announcement.

I think that's based on who won the MCV.

Could Phoenix work in Pioneer? You have Phoenix, thing in the Ice, and blue delve spells to reward you for discarding.

Edit: there are plansewalker heavy decks in legacy now that cost more than 1,000 TIX. Oko is 53 Tix, W6 is 122 Tix. Ridiculous.

neaden fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 21, 2019

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Legacy has a lot better reason to exist then modern or vintage. There is always going to be a demand for a format where every set is legal that doesn't cost $40 Grand.
The important thing to remember is right now magic is growing. If legacy, vintage, and modern stay the exact sizes they are now they'll gradually become less and less important, but might never go away.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Walked posted:

I cant say what will happen but it feels like this will eat into Modern's marketshare more than Legacy's.

WOTC gonna try a dumb "merge legacy and modern" move; banning the reserve list, just you watch

I would play it.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So the mystery boosters are just going to be random boosters from a Pioneer legal set that's not in standard, right?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

BizarroAzrael posted:

So you may recall I decided on GP Utrecht instead of Lyon because Lyon coincided with the prospective Brexit day.

It is now probably going to align with Brussels...

Good thing you've invested money in something stable like MTG cards instead of unreliable like The Pound then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
When is the last time a card was banned in standard modern and legacy?