Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I have a prediction for the new walker:
Her plus is some kind of incremental advantage, her minus is somen kind of removal, and her ult effectively wins you the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My opponent swings in with two Stitchers Suppliers and Lazav (a 1/3 for those of you keeping score at home). Before damage I cast Flame Sweep, dealing 2 to everything. His graveyard now full to bursting he gets excited and shifts Lazav (with two damage marked on him) into a 2/2 Theif of Sanity during his second main.

After his Lazav popped, he emoted "oops" and shame conceded.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I know we like high level subtle play but let me just say it was really fun just now to win with my awful Liliana/zombie tribal deck that had two big dumb zombie tyrannosaurs that came down turn 3 and 4 and rolled over Big Green's feeble defenses.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Say I have a single creature in play with a Season of Growth, and a Bone Splinters in hand. I am able to cast Bone Splinters, targeting my creature, and sacrificing that same creature. On Arena, I do not draw a card. Bug, or does it somehow not count as casting a spell targeting your creature if the creature isn't in play when the trigger would go on the stack?

That's how it should work: there's no creature to target once you've paid the additional cost.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

bessantj posted:

Played my first ever game of M:tG tonight. I quite enjoyed it, not as complicated as I thought it would be. I played two games in total and managed to win one, I had a couple of lucky draws. Think I'm going to try and build a deck.

Glad you had fun dude.

If you're interested in playing in organized play I recommend hitting up a draft. They are about as much as a night out on the movies and you can keep the cards to start building towards standard, or flip the money cards to go towards your next draft, and you don't have to worry about spending a ton to have parity with other decks.

MTG Arena is (for all our complaining) a reasonably good digital implimentation of standard and will let you jam out at all hours practicing evaluating the game state, choosing lines of play, and other skills that will translate however you end up playing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

rkajdi posted:

It's more for prized amalgam, but i think having the option to get it out so it can die, go to the graveyard, then get out on top of your deck via a this is better than just sitting in hand and being dead weight.

Hey dead weight is at least cheap removal.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

Speaking of Gynger, my Cat Draft on September 14th is with Core Set 2020 - if I'd known how fun Throne of Eldraine looked, I would've waited! But Core Sets are better for the casual players who turn out for these. September 14th at 3 PM at Brothers Grim in Selden, NY, and all the proceeds go to the cat adoption center I've been volunteering at for almost a decade. The cats at the Long Island Feline Adoption Center are full-time residents until they get adopted, with their own couches, scratching posts, and even television.

Even though it's not an Eldraine draft, I still wanted to give out a token, so I whipped this up today (pending some better pun-ery in the flavor text. Oh! I just got that. Flavor text.) :

I wish I were closer I would totally take my kid to your cat draft.

We just adopted another kitty to keep Mewgene Debs company: Field Marshal Georgy Katsantinoscritch Mhewkov.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Retromancer posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to do boy who cried wolf. top down design is hard.

-X
2G
Legendary Creature-Human
1/1

T: tap 2 target creatures, then Roll a 6 sided die. on a 1, target opponent creates a 4/4 wolf token

Lying Lookout, 2/2 human scout.

T: create 2 1/1 human tokens with vigilance and place a falsehood counter on Lying Lookout. Then, if there are 3 or more falsehood counters on lying lookout target opponent creates a 4/4 wolf token with "when this token enters fhe battlefield its controller may have it fight target human."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elyv posted:

what a strange card

Body is fine for basically a red o-ring type effect that gets better if you have a sac outlet?

Slam in limited for the body alone with thd rest as flavor text, might have a place in constructed with a good sac outlet. Could be part of the food deck with that artifact that cooks creatures?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shame Voltaic Servant is rotatoes, he would speed up the Cat-food drain engine.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Inside Job 2WUR, Sorcery

Gain control of target vehicle until end of turn. Untap that vehicle. It becomes an artifact creature until the end of the turn and gains haste and "[T], Sacrifice this card: destroy target artifact or land" until end of turn.

Whenever an artifact or land with "Tower" in its name was destroyed this way, goad each creature its owner controls.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

You know, I could poo poo on that flavor text but I'd rather they feel free to tee off and occasionally trip over their dick into sub dad joke level humor than feel like they gotta play it straight.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

How could they post this on this, the day of towers that down, fell?!?!

Destroyed by "fervent champions" of wahhabism holy poo poo they are tripling down.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

brb crossposting to the budk catalog thread

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elyv posted:

I'm wrong a lot but I'm pretty sure I was a Bell-Haunt believer

Of course I also was an Ixalan Jace believer so, you know

Pirate Jace will always have a special place in my heart for helping me create a arbitrary number of bolases.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 13, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Not gonna lie, kind of excited to see the rest of the typed common lands cycle.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

An artifact creature body that sandbags aggro a little and cantrips seems constructed playable in the Monoblue Artifacts shell that's been trying to break into the limelight for a while.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Am I the only one who occasionally goes to flea markets and garage sales with the fantasy of a "yard sale find" of some old shoebox with some beat up OG duals interspersed among the wood elementals and living walls, or a sealed box of some old set?

Probably increasingly vanishingly unlikely as that stuff gets consolidated into big time collections and cultural osmosis has made people aware that Magic Cards can be worth a mint, with a rough valuation only a google search for a given card name away.

Still fun to dream.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Although, I did find this, which is unrelated, but great.

ancient_timing_rules_were_a_nightmare.txt

Not for nothing but halberd dinoman is great, is that art from a card?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

If you stumble on expensive cards at some guy's yard sale and then don't pay a decent part of their actual value for them then you are a scum bag

What if he's a bad guy? Like I look into the public records and he's got a few domestics on his rap sheet?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Whoever invented "put the spells in a stack and then resolve them starting with the one on top of the stack" deserves a nobel prize in gaming.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

nrook posted:

Did any successful deck ever use Time Vault “honestly”, by banking turns and spending them later? It’s hard to envision.

I could see a winter orb/stasis kind of shell getting away with it, but when you've frozen the game out with that sort of thing it seems immaterial whether or not you skip a turn or bank a turn to take two in a row when your opponent's turns don't do anything but draw them another card.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Is there an effect like The Abyss but more crippling, where it's symmetrical but you could dodge it by banking a turn and make it hit your opponent twice in a row, then bouncing it or something...? IDK doesn't seem like a lot of "fair" timevault ideas that don't rely on you having the game on lock without it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

This guy is like 1 CMC too high at a little light on keywords to merit serious consideration in the kind of deck he wants, IMO. Which is fine not everything has to be pushed to the max, someone will play this in kitchen table knights.dec and have a ball.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Magic Underwear posted:

Seven loving mana just to take an extra turn? And I can't even recur it from the yard? Garbage.

I am incredibly pleased with myself for having been right about this one.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i think the red land is a little better than it looks. not better than the black land, but reasonable. red lands that push damage are historically very good (barbarian ring, ramunap ruins). while this one requires unblocked attackers, which is a substantial handicap, it can repeatedly push through a few points of damage, which is often enough. if any form of RDW exists post-rotation, which is often a safe bet, this land just slots right into it.

red aggro is just trying to count to 20 as fast as possible. getting 1-3 points of damage from a land slot is very, very good.

I'm with the dad. This is a nice mana sink once you've dumped your hand of little aggro nerds that will make favorable trades to slow down their board stabilization and push thru a point here or there. It only costs a land slot. And Ive watched control stabalize and get a stranglehold on the game with 1 or 2 life often enough that I know that's not nothing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Monoblack will be some business too. I think the castle is good, 2-3 of. Not for nothing even if you are out of gas and peel a land, that's not a dead card if you have the swampfall guy out.

I've learned to respect the swampfall guy.

E: Rakdoz Aggro-risticrats feels on the verge of breaking out in the new standard to me, as well.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 17, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

this or gtfo:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elyv posted:

and I thought the creatures actually printed in Alpha were bad, jeez

I made the same mistake the first time I saw these: the playtest notation for the not-yet-serra angel's 3WW cost was 5WW, meant to be read as "five mana, two of which must be white."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

imweasel09 posted:

It's not typed as a swamp, for the record. Only the lower rarity land is.

Oh, I meant if the castle grabs you a swamp. Sorry for the ambiguity. :)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

Tap 4 lands and pay a life to draw a swamp so you can pay a life and draw another card (hopefully a swamp) hell yeah I unironically love it.

Or it's removal with lifedrain. I mean you are hoping for a better peel but my point is the swampfall guy will be a nice role player in the shell. :shrug:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elyv posted:

oh whoops, in recompense I offer these spoilers

Sad that there wasn't enough room on the type line for "Human Bear Knight."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mike N Eich posted:

As someone who is getting back into MTG after dipping out around Mirrodin or so, I’m still not used to the power level of creatures, so many vanilla creatures seem outrageously powerful.

Back in my day a 2/2 for 2 in black or red had to have a disadvantage! For some reason!

Yeah I dipped out about the Urza's block (every time remembering selling off my Power and stuff around '00 stings).

My friend and I had a lot of cachet for running a grip of Juzams in our decks. Just an unstoppable efficient powerhouse.

Nowadays that's about the power level you'd expect of an actual uncommon meant to be a high-pick beater for limited but nothing fancy.

E: Didn't it recently get a near-functonal reprint that was basically that, a draft dross uncommon, complete with an art throwback reference or am I having a stroke?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 17, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

There was a red version printed in Modern Horizons at uncommon. It was fine. Juzam Djinn is pretty far above the curve as far as limited cards go but to see constructed play as an efficient beater a card has to be quite a bit more efficient than that

Ravenous Giant! Thanks. Yeah back in the day that woulda been a premium uncommon and in high demand. You would love to curve into that on the way to your nigh unstoppable Shivan Dragon.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

fadam posted:

for all the boomers out there: what did your LGS carry before MtG struck big? Like what game had people coming out to hang out and play before magic? Just DND?

E: I'm barely under the wire for Gen X, a year later and I'd be a millennial, but:

My "FLGS" was about a 40 minute drive from my podunk town to Milwaukee. The Virtual Gaming Center.

It was a big LAN center that rented time on powerful (ONE HUNDRED MEGAHERTZ PENTIUM) PCs that were hooked up to 30 inch CRTs monitors, and that was its bread and butter before MTG took off as I recall. It was still a going concern with people coming in to rent PC time while others were cating Holy Strength on their Craw Wurms. Mechwarrior 2 was probably the most played when I started gong there.

I assume mine was a little unusual though and most of them were proper gaming hobby shops that carried AD&D second edition, Warhammer, and Vampire: The Masquerade as their mainstays.

Edit 2: Whenever my friend and I were going to the VGC on the weekends, my dad (rip) would say "Oh, the virgin guys club?"

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 17, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Giant's Skewer is a uh... flavor win.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Which is wild because there was a 2/2 with no downside for UU in Alpha.

:goonsay: technically giving your opponent's merfolk islandwalk and an anthem is downside.

e;fb

I ran Phantasmal Terrain in my OG merfolk deck to make sure I could make the most of the islandwalk.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A Moose posted:

They could have gone bigger, like 5 mana + tap to make 8 mana or something. Then it might be good for something.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

Why does this look like a star destroyer from star wars?

Looks like Alladin's Lamp to me.

LOL I just looked up Alladin's Lamp the MTG card and wow. Quasi-scry was pretty expensive back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Goon project: creatureless monogreen deck.