Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

oh hey new thread

uh, how about them grimm's faerie tales for eldraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

If I was a shapeshifter I would also have abs like that

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor posted:

In practice what this really means is everything still gets spoiled, but instead of using spoilers to build hype and encourage small-time content creators, all the spoilers come from stores that are unscrupulous enough to open product early.

this is correct, what wizards used to do was release 1-2 spoilers per day so in theory you only had like 40 cards spoiled, but you could go to mtgnews or mtgsalvation and get a complete or almost complete spoiler before the first prerelease

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

The spell isn't "cast" until you've finished casting it. At which point it isn't targeting a creature you control, because it isn't targeting anything, right?

Targets are chosen before costs are paid, so sacrificing frostling targeting itself, for instance, is a perfectly legal play

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the real culprit isn't EDH so much as #mtgfinance, considering that godsire is probably garbage even if you build around the theme.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

my guess is sac to gain 1 life

it certainly cannot be anything powerful because it is a +2 on a 3 mana walker

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I guess I can wait until I see what adventure does but this card feels like a pretty severe flavor/function disconnect right now

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

after the kid dies/leaves the bears come back home dude

the art is her in her snazzy new house with dead bears all over the place though

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's flashback-as-a-creature. You can cast her directly or send her off on an adventure (sorcery/instant effect) and cast her later.

e: In her case she 'wrangles' some bears rather than killing them I guess

wrangles bears while standing on a bear rug, with a bear head mounted on her wall, a bloody cleaver, and at least 3 bear traps

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Run Away Together is a good reflavoring of Peel From Reality

now someone explain to me how putting on a high heel made of glass makes you faster and hit harder

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm assuming the idea with food is that it's very easy to create and then you feed it to your guys and that using it to gain life is basically a fail case

turn 1 goose turn 2 oko and you have a bird of paradise :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Doubling Season seems like it would be great for Eldraine flavor

it works too well with walkers, it's never getting a standard reprint I think

Does anyone know what those giant numbers on the wotc spoilers mean?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

no, because it has the supertype "tribal"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Imo it's closer to kicker because you have two options when you cast it and that determines what happens later

Obviously not a perfect analogy in this case, this is one of the few mechanics that isn't just a subset of kicker, split cards, or <blank>back

Elyv fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 4, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

sit on my Facebook posted:

Are BFZ/OGW the actual worst sets in modern? I think it's a case that could be made

They're pretty bad but I think the worst-designed sets in modern are bng, avr, sok, and dgm in no particular order

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Important lore question: does writing Embereth on the floor stop the beasties of Eldraine from attacking you?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the planeswalkers deck cards got spoiled today

unfortunately, they're still planeswalker deck cards

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Also they are in Moon Language

if you really care you can look them up

some of them would be good in limited if, you know, you could open them in a pack

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Too bad the names weren't actually chosen by the public and we could have gotten a Ginger McGingerface

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I can't be the only one who wants his "on an adventure" card to have 3 unicorns, right?

You are not

chaaarlieeeee

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

OMFG Hypothosizzle is such a good card name wasted on a bad common

Hypothesizzle is a good common actually :colbert:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's so good that it's in a standard legal set and I has never even heard of it til that post

Sounds like someone never drafted grn

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Oceanbound posted:

I finished reading the Eldraine novel

How is the writing? Did you enjoy it?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Toshimo posted:

You're not wrong, but $600+ as a budget deck is still extremely OOF.

To be fair the fetches and the karakases are nowhere near essential and that's probably more than half the price

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Once Upon a Time is pretty neat

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I like how the art for Return to Nature is Cinderella's carriage

E: actually this batch is straight up Cinderella's story, huh

Elyv fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 9, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

This is very good

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

That's a loving Monkey's Paw.

you realize that you always have one more tutor than your opponent, right

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

code:
"Carvalhandia Ranger // Bring Back"
[G/W][G/W][G/W][G/W] // [G/W][G/W][G/W][G/W]
Creature - Elf Knight // Sorcery Adventure
Bring Back

Create two 1/1 white Human tokens.

Carvalhandia Ranger

T: Creature you control get +1/+1 until end of turn. 
Illus. Mitchell Malloy	2/2
this seems extremely mediocre

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Huxley posted:

Wasn't it like, Skullclamp or something where the design story was, "we cut a card at the last minute and the Christmas party was starting up downstairs. I had to throw something in its spot, so I made an OK equipment, gave it a downside, then went to the party. The set started printing the next week."

nah, the story was that they had a really bad version of skullclamp, and then made it cheaper to cast/equip but reduced the toughness it gave and people at wotc still had the bad version in their heads until after it had been pushed off to printers

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/skullclamp-we-hardly-knew-ye-2004-06-04

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

:thunk:

(food is a better designed version of energy)

Vaah posted:

So based off the wording of Wicked Wolf, you can't activate that ability if you've tapped to attack, correct? Having "Tap it." on a separate line of its own has me confused.

You can; that's part of the ability, not the cost. So you get there and it can't tap because it's already tapped, but that's fine.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://twitter.com/kobelianinc/status/1171096254819864576
https://twitter.com/EliShffrn/status/1171100174002688003

this is not what I would have expected

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tulul posted:

Adventures aren't split cards, the article that revealed the mechanic said they're treated as only a creature card everywhere except the stack.

This does have the odd interaction (like split cards used to work) that you can presumably Bloodbraid Elf into Flaxen Intruder (CMC 1) and cast Welcome Home (CMC 7) instead, while you couldn't cascade into Beanstalk Giant (CMC 7) and cast Fertile Footsteps (CMC 3), but w/e, every Magic mechanic has odd rule interactions.

this is correct

https://twitter.com/EliShffrn/status/1171104968155074562

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Can't wait for my Revolutionary Europe plane coming early 2022

there were definitely guns in 1848 though