Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

This token bear is too big (with a +1/+1 counter), this token bear is too small (with a -1/-1 counter), but this token bear is just right (although it’s still a 2/2 with cmc 0 instead of cmc 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

LifeLynx posted:

Going to admit I'm disappointed that romantic name is wasted on a Disenchant variant.

I’m pretty sure the intended flavour is to free your permanents from frogify/prison realm/etc. Which is incredibly on point for True Love’s Kiss.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Personally, I rather like the Knights as a design element for the set. The Camelot thing is happening because most people don’t know the Arthurian tales in any real detail.

Admittedly I’m still hoping for a card themed around the Green Knight and his take turns decapitating each other competition.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Sinteres posted:

I don't hate that there's a knights theme in the set, it's just weird that the marketing seems to focus so heavily on the fairytale aspect while design seems to have been scared of it.

My guess is the last really heavy "fairy tale" set was Arabian Nights, and just in general design is probably scared of going back to really early magic where it wasn't it's own thing but riffing off a lot of other things too often.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Anyway, if I was to do a Green Knight card it would probably have indestructible or something and an ability that causes target creature to first deal damage equal to power to the Green Knight, and then the Green Knight deals damage equal to it's power to target creature.

Thus your opponent can potentially kill it with a trick, but otherwise you get the usual story of the Green Knight letting his opponent swing first, nearly kill him (only a sliver of skin keeps his head on his body) and then swing back to kill them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

JerryLee posted:

I'd probably give it flash and indestructible on the turn it ETBs.

Flash for the flavor of you're just trying to enjoy your holiday party when this rear end in a top hat comes in and wants to have a cutting off heads contest, and then to add insult to injury he turns out to be a cheater.

And/or maybe give him indestructible but "Equipped creatures your opponents control are indestructible." For the garter.

Pity it's an un-set mechanic because Last Strike would definitely fit the Green Knight as a flavour thing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Star Man posted:

At least people have heard of those things.

What I'm saying is that Arthurian legend is obscure outside of the UK and maybe France. Your average mass media consuming nerd might know that Lancelot was one of the Knights of the Round Table, but nothing else. No one's going to understand a card that's a reference to the Green Knight.

Sure, except I'm Australian and you don't need to know the reference for a card to be good. The Green Knight could be a good legendary and a good reference without the people even recognising the second part. The reference just becomes something people who do know the reference can share with those who do not.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

BrianBoitano posted:

"can't be prevented" clause always seems so :flaccid:. Is it just meant for non-Standard formats? I can't imagine it mattering outside of fog. I guess maybe the pseudo phantom creatures? https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle%3Aprevent+legal%3Afuture

Great card without it, confused about why they chose that add-on.

There’s a couple very frustrating combo decks that use damage prevention to protect planeswalkers and combo into a Jace win on Arena.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I thought I read somewhere that Syr is also the welsh gender neutral term for knights anyway, which fits with the Arthurian (British Isles) myth as inspiration.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ilmucche posted:

To be fair the show was about a literal child who wants to hang with his friends and be super cool. It makes a lot more sense if you imagine it like that episode of south park where they all play ninjas.

Yugi’s actually like, 17 or something. He’s just kind of short and childish looking. Flat out he and all his friends are in their last year of high school, Tea is looking at going to a professional dance school.

As for how this relates to Magic the Gathering. Seto Kaiba is based on a friend of the writer who played Magic the Gathering and was exactly that insufferable, but possibly not that cool. Given Kaiba once defeated a gun with a yugioh card. Not even magically, he threw the card to jam the hammer and then punched the guy in the face.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

Kaiba is the best part of Yugioh

The new movie had him rebuild the Millenium Puzzle to try to drag the Pharoah from heaven and when that didn’t work he makes a machine to send his mind to the loving afterlife for a rematch because he’s just so salty

He absolutely is but that movie is kind of infuriating because it’s explicitly based on the manga continuity not the anime continuity. In the anime Kaiba is there for Yugi beating Pharaoh and recognises Yugi as a worthy rival.

In the Manga he disappears at the end of Battle City.

His best moment is in my opinion his backstory as a CEO and Owner of KaibaCorp when as an 8 year old he challenges a war profiteer weapons manufacturer to a game of chess and wins against a literal grandmaster, forcing him to adopt Seto and Mokuba. It then takes him 6 years to learn how to run Kaiba Corp and he proceeds to buy out his adoptive father, who is admittedly an rear end in a top hat, using a second chess game. At which point his adoptive father walked out of a window.

If Kaiba was a planeswalker he probably would’ve solved Nicol Bolas ages ago and would 100% defeat him by summoning a bunch of rad super powerful dragons. Possibly whilst piloting his Jet Engine shapes like a dragon.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Blue Eyes is ultimately too fragile to disruption for the current metagame, which is basically 8 esper control archetypes staring each other down with 4 counterspells a turn. As an example based on MtG.

There’s no room for explosive beatdown decks in yugioh, because unless they explode into an OTK they just get removed or stopped.

Anyway, the newest blue eyes support was great because it had a bunch of silly nonsense. Like a trap using Kaiba’s catchphrase for them “The Ultimate Engine of Destruction.” Kaiba himself is a card, called Kaibaman, who supports Blue Eyes. Which it should be noted that the Blue Eyes White Dragon is actually the spirit of an ancient Egyptian girl who met and was saved from death by Priest Set, who is going to reincarnate into Kaiba, eventually.

Also that Melody of Awakening Dragon Spell Card has a monster designed to search it called King of D and his art is incredible and I highly recommend looking it up.

But yeah basically Yu-Gi-Oh has devolved into everyone playing the world’s most rear end in a top hat blue control decks with flavour from other sources.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

To stop talking about yugioh nonsense I played a sealed event irl today and had a lot of fun with Thrones of Eldraine. Adventures were rather intuitive and the stuff that benefits from it felt relatively targetable in draft from what I saw around the room of people’s packs. Green Red and Black all have cards I enjoyed and people seemed to be doing well with all 5 colours. Of course this doesn’t necessarily reflect a fun draft environment, but it seems solid to me as someone who basically only drafts and plays commander.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

If you want my insight, it probably went a little like this. Originally Questing Beast was going to be a mythic legendary built around well, adventures(quests). When response to War of the Spark was what it was they realised they needed a card that is designed to hate Planeswalkers, so Questing Beast becomes that card because can't have that be anything but a Legendary and it'll be a good pack seller.

However this puts them in an awkward position where Oko, who probably was meant to be quite powerful because he's one of the big characters the set is focused on anyway, under his original design loses too hard to the new Planeswalker Hoser. Wizards at this point buff Oko and the rest is history, instead of maybe reverting Questing Beast and finding a better option for how to handle planeswalker hate.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm actually legit sad there are no Legendary Creatures that care about Adventures, or that can go on an Adventure. It's such a weird thing to have 0 Legendaries interact with what was supposed to be a defining part of the set/plane.

Off the top of my head they could've done a cool adventure for each of the Legendary Knights and cut down their other text to compensate.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

Target discussion becomes a 3/3 elk

Target Elk becomes a 3/3 discussion.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ptroll posted:

Post-ban day one is very silly. Ran into some kind of aggro doom foretold + cat sacrifice + outlaws' merriment pile and it beat me to a pulp.
Then I watched a kethis deck do... something? Until they ran out of timeouts and died.

Pretty sure the Kethis deck is comboing into Jace Win.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

What would the Dark Magician, Dark Magician Girl and Blue Eyes White Dragon have for abilities as Magic cards, assuming they weren’t vanilla/French vanilla beaters and would be playable cards in a standard/eternal format

Because I'm a weirdo I've actually thought about this a little. Blue-Eyes White Dragon is definitely a Dragon, and whilst it is tempting to make it a White/Blue dragon (and there's design space for it as a flying vigilant indestructible beatstick) for Maximum Kaiba Style it needs to be a rampable huge trampler, so that leaves us Green/Red or Green/Black. For the purposes of the Hypothetical Kaiba's decks and playstyles are rather Jund (big beatdown, graveyard mechanics, overwhelming force) so his big important creatures should also probably be Jund anyway. An expensive flying vigilant trampler seems good enough for Blue Eyes, maybe with a destructive ability.

To further this thought process Yugi (or more accurately Yami) is definitely some sort of Esper Control with all the trickery and rules lawyering he does, to this end the Dark Magician is Blue/White/Black and has abilities to represent his mastery of magic, either relatively simple magic or yugioh cards as abilities, perhaps some defensive self exile effect given all the ways Yami has to protect him. As for Dark Magician Girl, her ability is relatively simple to represent as either +1/0 or +1/+1 for wizards controlled and in grave, but as far as anything extra I'm partial to making her a scaling manadork for wizards/instants/sorceries only, which would help her synergize with her master and offer a truly legendary ability for an otherwise simple character design.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, the final boss is exceedingly easy, and not just because you have a broken deck full of power 9 poo poo by the end.

I think Shandalar with a more recent card pool would be a much more interesting game, tbqh, as fun as it is to think about decks with extremely broken cards the way Sid Meier liked it.

If you wanted to make it all thematic you could do an Ixalan game with appropriately styled card pools.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

White being the small creature cost colour should honestly also make it the primary cantrip colour in my opinion.

Also I always thought part of White and Black was they both get everything but Black pays additional resources like life or sacrificing creatures to do so, whilst White just gets weaker/temporary/fair versions.

Personally I still kind of dislike Blue and feel it being the primary card draw colour and the counterspell colour creates remarkably unfun situations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It being 2 Green Devotion on it's own is also relatively nice all told.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

On my paper sealed today and that White Blue Sphinx is a house and a half, if you don't have an answer in hand and know you have bad ones in deck just scoop you're never beating it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Reik posted:

Right, that's the one. Maybe we'll get a Gruul Vivien?

It would be pretty amusing if much like Garruk Vivien goes from being the "introduction to monogreen" Planeswalker to a multicolored Walker.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah, the 2 games I lost at pre-release was against someone who played Dream Trawler both games, that card is an absolute wrecking ball if you can't find a fast enough answer.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Okay but does that mean Horniness is Green instead of Red on the colour pie?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It’s not a great solution but you could do the keyforge thing and heavily reduce the actions the turn one player can take, as an example the turn one player may only play a land or a land and a single card.

Personally, I’d say a more elegant solution would be to print more cards that benefit from going second at 1-3 cmc. Stuff that cares about your opponent having more lands or creatures or whatever than you. Possibly in white seeing as White cares about fairness and equality.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Dinosaur is not going to be a common theme, it might not even exist as a theme and that will make me sad.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Lone Goat posted:

mono blue and (almost) mono white both won pro tours before the most recent rotation! and sometimes a dual colour aggro deck is good.

basic mountain should be restricted

Only if basic island is forbidden though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I really like the Ixalan art myself. Especially the actual creature art.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Honestly I just do whatever variation my opponent wants, but usually we find it simple enough to do 2 dice high rolls, because we're all friends and if you draw you just reroll.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I would have suggested mutate as reverse bestowal but that doesn’t work with casting from graveyard for mutate cost I don’t think?

Also Tainen already said mutate is from hand so I’m just gonna continue being curious.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Aranan posted:

I love that this is not a valid target for mutate:

Well he's obviously already at his Apex, why would he mutate further, that'd be silly.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Sampatrick posted:

you have it literally opposite lmao the broken piece is dark ritual, not whatever you cast with the dark ritual

That would be why they brought up banning everything but Dark Ritual as a mark against Wizards. They're arguing that Dark RItual was the problem card, much like their hated card Agent of Treachery, which they think should be banned instead of the cards around Agent of Treachery.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Honestly I’m surprised Companion didn’t outright start with the commander colour restriction as baseline plus whatever their own personal deck restriction was. It probably would not have actually helped but it seems really obvious to me that making them only useable in 2 colour decks based on their colour combo would have probably made them more fair.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

To me a lot of the time party is just going to be incidental cost reduction for some big powerful cards in your deck. Even just 2 cost reduction can be huge depending on the card after all, anything better is just gravy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I also think it’s worth considering the original version of one of the MDFC that Tainen showed where it was a more traditional DFC and you’d cast the instant/sorcery and then get the land. Which may have been the original intent and absolutely would have fit with the weird and powerful land stuff Zendikar used to do.

Presumably they had to change that when they realised how busted it could be.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

I wonder how this tracks with Maro claiming Strixhaven as the original home of MDFCs.

Presumably if they're spell lands they're not modal, you play the spell and then get the land instead of choosing which you get. I'm assuming they would've been only sorceries/instants in this situation.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Assume all cards in Arena are simply sleeved in a card sleeve that looks like the back of a Magic the Gathering card unless you are playing with an alternative cardback.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I’m pretty sure the problem is still Uro, seeing as he’s been a problem since forever and is a huge part of why you can get landfall triggers from Omnath so easily.

As for White frankly I never understood why it didn’t get big creatures like green and red, seeing as Red already does the lots of little guys thing. They’re the three colours that care most about creatures yet for some reason white gets the weaker creatures and that’s silly, it should have creatures on par with red at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Silhouette posted:

The Dominaria campaign guide came out like 2 years ago, it's free on the D&D website along with guides for Zendikar, Kaladesh, Innistrad and Ixalan

Theyr'e also all fairly boring because they spend more time trying to match D&D then actually match the MtG planes from memory.