Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Apparently Maro spoiled that the Gingerbread monster is named Gingerbrute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Allstone posted:

I liked whoever's guess that was you can cast either side but if you cast the adventure you exile it with a counter and can cast the creature from exile

Yeah, this is my guess.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Design feels real good, hope it's more of a Lorwyn or Innistrad then a uh... I dunno, Avacyn's Restored.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you can re-cast the sorcery parts of Storybook cards Run Away Together may have some pretty solid upside.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A Moose posted:

While people are spending 2 mana to sac foods and stabilize, there will probably be some pretty aggressive uses of food to counter it. Maybe using food to make token creatures so its harder to stabilize.

Smashmouth the Goblin gonna eat all the eggs

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Adventure is fine. You cast it and if it resolves you exile it and put a counter on it to remind yourself you can cast it, easy enough., not sure what the memory issues here are supposed to be?

Adamant is a generic limited mechanic, sure whatever.

Food is good. It's exceptionally mediocre on its own, but they've already shown a bunch of cards that interact with it so I'm sure that'll be good.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

OGW is singlehandedly responsible for one of the top tier decks in the format. BFZ is probably the worst designed set since saviors though

In the same vein, Avacyn Restored is probably the worst limited set in Modern and is responsible for Miracles.

OGW does also probably have the weakest lore, being the highpoint of wow, the Jacetice League!, but at least it made draft better then 3x BFZ.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gonna be upset if there isn't a bone splinters type card that sacrifices food to kill a creature and has a now you're GingerDEAD flavor text.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

Hmm, let me check this here...wow there are some drawings of people with three dicks on this, also Rebecca Guay is pretty jacked

Tri-hog elf will finally make elves tribal modern playable.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Man, where was that guy in the Arena premade Knights deck.

Seems kinda pushed where they could've weakened it slightly in a bunch of different ways (sorcery speed, can't hit planeswalkers, or anything really), but I guess we'll see if we get some Ravenous Chupacabra ranting about it I guess.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

Outside of a weird tempo deck like Simic Flash or UWU SEPHARA ^__^, this doesn't seem very good at all.

Like yes it's effectively a split card but both sides are bad. There's 20 split cards in standard right now and how much many of them are actually played? 3?

And even then you're asking for someone to play narrow countermagic in a world dominated by T3feri, where the payoff is a Welkin Tern.

It's a good card for draft, probably slightly better then that in sealed. It's costed to more likely then not be for standard.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What a complete flavor fail to not allow you to sacrifice all your food to this.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tainen posted:

Bringing back invitational cards was a mistake

Oh, so that's why they unbanned stoneforge, so he'd have a friend.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sinteres posted:

I don't hate that there's a knights theme in the set, it's just weird that the marketing seems to focus so heavily on the fairytale aspect while design seems to have been scared of it.

It makes sense for them to be gunshy because if it's successful they'll just plan to come back to it in 2 years and have a whole bunch more designs they can use immediately.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Star Man posted:

I'd rather have an entire set based on Arthurian legend rather than just a portion of it. It's just that only like five Americans know any of it.

There was a musical about it, a lot of theater dorks know it as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-4YhsbClBU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This card is sloooooooooooooow as gently caress. You can only realistically cast it after casting a bunch of spells and it doesn’t start doing anything until you untapped with it. It’s like that rw token making enchantment; the meta would have to be turbo-glacial to justify such a slow card

Yeah, I was looking at it thinking how it's probably too slow for limited. It's a neat card and there's probably things to do with it, but I imagine most of the time you'd rather just play a Drawn From Dreams or any other card draw spell.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Just once in draft I wanna cast both this and that RB knight from the last page.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Legions 2 but every card is a planeswalker

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's taking forever to load, so here's the page of rares from it:

Elspeth is 2WW
5 loyalty
-1 - up to 2 creatures get +2/+2 (or 1) until end of turn
-2 - Create 2 1/1 human soldiers
-3 - gain 5 life

Escape 4WW

Kalli fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 30, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Retromancer posted:

I don't think there were ever humans on Mirrodin, so I don't think she comes from there. She was there with Koth, Venser, and Karn when the plane was getting Compleated, though.

There's lots of humans on mirrodin, a tribe of each color (Vulshok, Auriok, Sylvok, Moriok and Neurok, and also a fair bit of the least appealing art Magic cards have had in the original block.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Deleter posted:

Only if we pick the most upsetting options possible.

Karn Fucks up

Finally, the return to Mirrodin-Phyrexia.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This is pretty solid.

I know there probably is one, but it would be delicious if in the enchantment set, when white is at its shallowest, if the limited pacifism variant was replaced with that artifact.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

Time to address the elephant in the room here, that Satyr looks like it's about to do something extremely lovely with that banana

Gonna ascend to godhood, grow it into a 25 foot banana and then drop it on resurrected Elspeth, sending her right back to the underworld.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

Your sideboard is considered part of your "starting deck" for Companion, yes?

No, but if you sided in some cards that break the rules of your companion, you couldn't use them in G2 / 3.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

poo poo quality, but gets the point across I hope.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

As someone who used to buy a box of every set just to crack at and look at and sort, that product speaks to me.

I haven't bought a physical card since like arena came out, but I'm pretty tempted to buy a box.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Theme boosters seem like they exist for target and walmart primarily for kids / kitchen table players who would be the audience for a giant pile of commons / uncommons of mostly the same color.

Collectors and Set boosters seem to have the closest to overlapping audience. That stuff just reminds me of how sportscards have / had(?) retail vs hobby versions of most of their products with all sorts of indiscernable differences between the two.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Like, how many truly, horrendously terrible cards you would never, ever use and would actively work against you come out each set nowadays? Where are my Wood Elementals? Where are my Sorrow's Paths? Everything I'm seeing in these newer sets are just too...decent! it disgusts me.

I haven't played in a few sets, but I feel like they moved the truly stone unplayable cards to be these weird, typically enchantments or artifacts at uncommon you see at draft for the first time, go huh, pass it, then see it every single time because nobody ever takes that poo poo.

Alternatively, expensive red enchantments, which are useless for any kind of competitive play, but are at least usually funny, and that's what really matters. I much prefer a world where bad cards are like Mirrormarch then Mudhole.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

whydirt posted:

Set Booster is a horrible name that does nothing to describe the contents or differentiate it from other boosters.

Those should probably be called Collector Boosters and the $25 things like Premium or VIP booster or something. Too late now though.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sadly the best concept for Brainstorm's art was used for Mind Bomb

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

What do you guys do with several thousand cards that aren't worth anything, once you've pulled every worth-something card out of a huge old collection? Just dump them in the recycling, or, store them forever in case some 5th edition uncommon suddenly gains value in four years?

Pack 'em in to a USPS flat rate box and ship 'em to https://commons4kids.org/ (there's some other charities, but I shipped off 2 boxes (so probably like 10k cards) to that one.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Huh, thanks for this discussion of random old cards and linking dawnglare LifeLynx. It got me to grab my box of duplicate rares and just kinda sift through it... and I pulled out a fair bit worth that's just been sitting gathering dust. Is there any real difference between Cardkingdom and SSG buylists?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

lmao old magic cards were (mostly) so awesome

Yeah, though on the other hand, every humanoid from the original Mirrodin block.

(Okay, Turn to Dust is a funny card, but man do the Vedalkan have an awful design in the original block)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

the difference in amount of variety with current mtg artwork and classic mtg artwork is stark. it's a drat shame. there's plenty of current artwork that is phenomenal of course, but nowhere near the amount of memorable stuff out there like the absolutely gorgeous barrage of visuals of Richard Kane Ferguson. All of his stuff could best be described as "windswept" and I loved it for it

Such an awesome as hell card as a kid. Weird (at the time) effect, great art, cool name, odd casting cost.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Dark was a very cool set that was probably the last one with real mystique around it because it still had a pretty small print run that dropped before the game exploded in popularity, to go along with pretty excellent art and theme.

Like yeah, it'd be awful to draft with and half the cards are stone nothing, but it had a ton of neat cards that did work.

What's the second worst set after Homelands? Fallen Empires was pretty rough, but it at least had like solid lore. What'd say... Prophecy ever do for anybody?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Robviously posted:

Rhystic Study

I've heard enough, off with its head.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The second Theros set lays a pretty strong claim to the title, despite being 20 years later when they should’ve had ample time to sort all of this out

Good pull, probably the worst since like Saviors of Kamigawa(?) Battle for Zendikar is probably up there as well. Just dreadful art direction in general on top of everything else.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

jeeves posted:

I think Homelands is so bad that a lot of people (myself included) stopped playing at Ice Age during their childhood.

Yeah, I had a couple of alliances packs, but Homelands had killed the game for me. Picked up a few starters and boosters in college a few years later.... for Mercadian Masques, and didn't touch it again until ages later in Lorwyn.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Marketing New Brain posted:

Glad to see Avacyn Restored made it on there, what an absolute bomb of a set, full of just absolutely awful mechanics, slow gameplay and unbeatable bombs. I remember when they were hyping it up as the next Rise of the Eldrazi because it was a standalone format where they could really concentrate on the draft environment. All that accomplished was a failure to dilute the sheer awfulness of it.

It was easily the worst set I've drafted, but considering how much work the miracles put in in standard / other formats, I figured it didn't belong.

Worst draft formats ever though? Probably #1 for anything past the Pestilence at common era of set design.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

LeafHouse posted:

You can't choose to destroy something that cannot be destroyed. Selecting something as a target is fine even if the effect will fail upon resolution.

Yeah, specific rule is:

608.2d If an effect of a spell or ability offers any choices other than choices already made as part of casting the spell, activating the ability, or otherwise putting the spell or ability on the stack, the player announces these while applying the effect. The player can’t choose an option that’s illegal or impossible, ....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The best set of all time was Rise of the Eldrazi. Best limited format, added a bunch of powerful, but niche cards to every format. Obviously perfect.