Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

hello. i've been slowly buying mtg cards again since january but still haven't really done much other than opening packs. the local lgs is having a MH2 draft FNM tomorrow and i just realized i probably haven't played a legitimate game of mtg in order 20+ years.

so have some really basic questions (first one now before bed time)

https://cardgamebase.com/wp-content/uploads/Hell-Mongrel.jpg
https://cardgamebase.com/wp-content/uploads/Terminal-Agony.jpg
1: madness..

if i have hell mongrel, and i declare it as an attacker in my attack phase and my opponent declares one of his creatures as the "blocker".. am i then allowed to play hell mongrel's ability and discard terminal agony to use that to destroy his blocker? madness ability is run like an instant correct? so even if terminal agony is a sorcery spell using its madness ability lets me run it like an instant.

do i declare that i want to use hell mongrel's ability right after he declares his blocker?

https://deckbox.org/system/images/mtg/cards/2019674.jpg
#2: assuming the above scenario, but this time i use hell mongrel to run terminal agony, then after that has resolved, use hell mongrel to discard revolutionist, then cast it onto the field from its madness cost.

can i then bring back terminal agony into my hand using revolutionist's ability (when revolutionist enters the battlefield, return target instant/sorcery card from our graveyard to your hand), and then discard terminal agony again to destroy an additional creature? essentially triggering hell mongrel's ability 3 separate times to give him +3/+3, and destroy two of my opponent's creatures? or does the placement of terminal agony into the graveyard not resolve until after we resolve the attackers/blockers combat phase...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

LeafHouse posted:

Yep, you’ve got it right. It’s worth noting that In scenario #1 your mongrel will be considered blocked even though you’ve destroyed the creature so it will not deal combat damage (unless you gave it trample somehow).

For #2 your first instinct is correct, instants and sorceries are placed into the graveyard as the last step of resolution. If you were to cast terminal agony and in response your opponent cast their own terminal agony on your mongrel you could respond by discarding and casting revolutionist but revolutionist would come into play before Terminal Agony resolves so it couldn’t return it to your hand.

HootTheOwl posted:

You're mostly correct with what you're trying to do a few notes though:
Declaring attacks is a step, not a phase. Combat is the phase.
Madness will override all timing restrictions on a card but it isn't an instant. So while, yeah, you can discard the revolutionist to the dog to cast the revolutionist at instant speed, it doesn't become an instant. This matters in that it would still be countered by spells like Remove Soul which counter creatures and not spells like Dispel which counter instants.
Whenever an instant or sorcery resolves it goes straight to the graveyard. Your revolutionist will have no problem finding it if it resolved.
Finally even if a blocking creature dies before combat damage they will have still blocked the attacking creature and that's still enough to stop then from dealing damage to the defending player. You'll want to kill potential blockers before they are declared as such.

thanks. that really clears things up.. i actually remember now that i knew about blocked creatures remaining blocked because my friends had an argument about whether or not smite still allowed attacking damage to go through so i should have known that. :o

second question, more of a live play question. usually when i played my friend would just say "i'm done" after the combat ended. generally how do people say they're done, do they just say something like, "okay you're turn" or "i'm done"... or is there a process where you have to formally declare steps? if i wanted to do something like sneak in a necrogoyf using its madness ability at the end step of my opponent's turn. but he just says, "i'm done" do i just declare, "okay before you finish your turn i discard necrogoyf and summon it blah blah blah?"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

so i played the MH2 draft tonight... lost all 3 of my matches. i did get up my red/black madness deck that i studied up on yesterday unfortunately i just couldn't muster any advantage with discarding cards with madness fast enough

first guy i played drew rise and shine early and placed it on one of his industructible dual lands and i basically didn't have anything to exile it. second match went better but he drew rise and shine early again and i couldn't draw much to block it eventually brought in a gargadon from suspend but he killed it with mine collapse

second guy i forgot what he had.. i think he had large flyers. lost both matches

last guy played a deck with white/blue/red, with a bunch of coin flipping cards and a ragavan. he was really bad at flips but still won the first match. 2nd match it looked like i was going to win in a close one but then he top decked spreading insurrection and attacked me with my own skophos reaver... gg.

it was pretty fun but i definitely spent a lot of time looking at people's cards... like i didn't know they keyworded the "creature does not untap to attack" to vigilance and also things like rebound and storm... it was a small tournament.. but everyone was pretty honest about keeping track of their life and what their creature/spells abilities were.

i did end up pulling an arid mesa during the draft so i ended up near break even. :p all-in-all fun times.

oh yeah also played with this dude. love the art on this version of imperial recruiter

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

you shouldn't sell to LGSs unless you want to dump a lot of dollar cards and you're not willing to spend the time to sort through them.

i've sold stuff in the SA-Mart thread. no issues so far.

i'm looking into ebay/tcg/etc but haven't researched too much into it.

ebay recently started offering a cheaper shipping/tracking option where if the cards you're sending are ungraded, <$20 in value, <= 3oz.. you can ship in a PWE for <$1. they also can scan your magic cards via the ebay app.

tcg as a first time seller is very confusing and i haven't sold anything on it yet because of it. their app is nice to keep track of my cards but their scanner is not the best. not only do you have to have proper light, you have to put it against a white background and foils or penny sleeves prevent it from getting scanned. lots of black cards are also difficult for the scanner to pick up. the most annoying thing though is it won't let you set what set your card is from, or they won't allow exclusion of sets. i don't have any judge promos, and this reprinted rare is not from a 2010 set. i've been scanning cards from one set for the last 20 minutes please just assume that set by default until i specify otherwise...

but yeah if people have recent experience selling.. that would be nice to know. looking to sell in SA and sell on one main site so i can build some rep.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

eh, add like an extra 0 to that 60.

but also that's a pretty beat up box even though there's like zero reason to counterfeit fallen empires packs.

edit: fallen empires are probably unsearchable so yeah maybe sell it by the pack.. might net you more but take you longer

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

why would they remove reserve list. they are making money printing new cards already whereas "un"-reserving the list seems like a huge legal liability.

so you're hasbro what would you like to do?

1> continue printing money by generating new sets, release secret lairs, promoting online play.
2> announce you will be removing reserve list, get sued and fight a legal battle that will drain your resources while it winds its way through the court which may or may not disrupt your stock price. and even assuming they win, then what? they just have a whole bunch of angry people to reprint a narrow subset of the RL anyways.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

in my day we just drafted the actual block :smaug:

One thing I learned is flesh and blood intends to keep all sealed product permanently in print. imagine if you could get any amount of sealed boxes of any mainline set at msrp? I'd be drafting eventide every month!

i think they said they will maintain a consistent run of a set but they will eventually retire it... i don't think they have the resources to continue printing WTR unlimited especially since they'd probably generate more excitement with newer sets with reprints.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 12, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

some nerds have a lot of money, and are also vindictive. you paid hundreds of thousands for a power 9 what's a couple mil to fight WOTC right?

also if they settled it by playing a BO3 that would probably be funny.
----
even ignoring any legalities... i get it's a toy conglomerate so its not like hasbro/WOTC word is worth anything but there are groups that would like to see RL removed, there are also groups that don't want it removed. the people who want to see RL removed aren't mad that it hasn't been removed.. they're going to keep playing and buying MTG... but once you touch RL there's a group that will be very mad... so in the end you're just creating negative feelings for relatively little gain.

even if they do break RL and announce a new set with RL cards... my expectation is they're it's going to be a specialty set, like MH2 but on steroids. you want that reprinted bazaar? well its only in set or collector LEGACY REMASTERED boxes and the set boosters cost $500. you want a "black lotus" foil? collector boxes only and the pull rate is 1 in 100,000. we also only printed 1,000,000 collector boxes... that cost $5000...

can't wait to opt for $400 draft boxes open a sweet "Nameless Race" or Wood Elemental or some niche card that plays in maybe 1 command deck. oh boy is that a foil Farmstead? Did you get it in the original art work?

the expectation is removing RL will tank the cost of the cards.. sure it'll definitely drop. but i wouldn't expect hasbro to make the reprints _cheap_...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

Fight them about what though . . .

You actually have to have a cognizable legal claim despite what backseat lawyers everywhere think. That thing would get dismissed in 5 seconds and wouldn't matter in the slightest, nor would it cost millions for WOTC to defend.

The Japanese tutor is like $350 right? I was looking at it the other day and almost pulled the trigger that card is so insanely sweet.
i'm not a lawyer, but the general law argument for it has been promissory estoppel. most mtg sites have covered it. not saying anyone would win with it but that's the legal theory supposedly.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

if anyone wants some throne of eldraine boosters and is willing to buy from amazon they're on sale today for $108.65, down from the $125.28 they were. probably not going to find a better deal on them.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Amazon sometimes reprices their products to whatever price is the lowest out of their resellers. So it could just be one of their resellers needs to liquidate inventory and dropped the price. It was actually like ~$1 cheaper a week ago and I actually want one but I'm waiting for the price to go back down to when I first saw it.

Eldraine boxes were being sold at $108 for a bit because one of the 3rd party sellers had it at that price. they sold out and the price on amazon went back up to $125.. its back now to $108 again because that 3rd party found more boxes to liquidate I guess.

The last two sets MH2, and AiTFR.. all had pretty high initial release prices before they dropped down.. I think AITFR set boxes have been slowly dropping in price. Makes me kinda hesitant about buying any of the new Innistrad products since they all seem to drop in price right after the release.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

Amazon sometimes reprices their products to whatever price is the lowest out of their resellers. So it could just be one of their resellers needs to liquidate inventory and dropped the price. It was actually like ~$1 cheaper a week ago and I actually want one but I'm waiting for the price to go back down to when I first saw it.

Eldraine boxes were being sold at $108 for a bit because one of the 3rd party sellers had it at that price. they sold out and the price on amazon went back up to $125.. its back now to $108 again because that 3rd party found more boxes to liquidate I guess.

The last two sets MH2, and AiTFR.. all had pretty high initial release prices before they dropped down.. I think AITFR set boxes have been slowly dropping in price. Makes me kinda hesitant about buying any of the new Innistrad products since they all seem to drop in price right after the release.

The Collector Gift Bundle is now $42.32, lowest was $42.25

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093CJKP7J?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

There was a post the other day on mtgfinance about "hypothetically what if Rudy were robbed and his wife and kids were kidnapped"

People get really weird when talking about Rudy.

I believe he tries to hold about 500 of each thing he's trying to hold, if he can get it. I don't believe he has even double digits of sealed ABU products. I don't even think there's that many unsealed alpha/beta boxes anyways... I do recall seeing 5 or so boxes of sealed revised. He also has tons of full sets of the early stuff as well that he said he's never going to sell. I don't think he's ever going to flood the market but he is probably going to slowly sell off most of his product once he supposedly retires.

And people say, what a great scheme that he got people to pay him for slight discounts. I honestly don't think his Patreon really pays off that well for him as people think. He has to deal with Patrons, all the customer service stuff and spends tons of time doing all that stuff... I think the bigger thing is that his YouTube prominence and his reputation probably gets him _extremely_ good deals when people sell him their collection.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

triple sulk posted:

He's grifted way more than a bit on Patreon. To my knowledge he sold about 3000 bundles for Flesh and Blood's Monarch set (which had two 1st edition boxes) for $1000 each. The boxes now barely move for $250 a piece after being as much as $500-650 on CFB pre-launch which was right around the time he offered them.

Grifting is when you sell the product at around the market price?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

did something happen somewhere between 2000 and 2019 where you made money opening packs?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

wow something you open has less value when you open it.

if the contents in a package are worth more open than sealed... it's going to be opened because the stuff inside is worth more. like if there was any point where you could sell the cards inside a pack consistently above the cost of a pack either the cost of a pack goes up or in MTG's case, what can also happen instead is people open enough packs where the demand of the cards decreases because of increased supply... saying the stuff inside of a pack is worth less than the cost of the pack itself is not surprising.

anyway. they announced new secret lair for hasbro's pulsecon. don't know if its only available at the con or if thats the release date for the web release. hope you like cats.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

This sorta happened with Future Sight (scroll down to the part that starts with Future Sight was an Especially Good Set for Singles). Ben explains why people didn't just crack boxes for infinite money, the main reason being that it's not feasible for a non-store individual to convert singles to cash, especially in 2008 compared to now.

But the point in stating what is obvious to most, when a new/returning player is asking what is the best way to get cards to make a deck, the answer is not "spend half a month's rent on random poo poo you likely won't be able to use".

Looking at mtggoldfish, for about $600 (is this what a case costs in USD?) you can get both a copy of Yorion Ultimatum and Naya Winota, which is more useful to a player* than the detritus you'd get from cracking 216 boosters.

Like if you're a huge fuckin degenerate gambler or spend your entire life hustling crypto/NFTs/team fortress 2 hats then yeah blow your money on whatever frivolities you like but I'm never going to advise a stranger to do that poo poo.

* yes both those decks rotate out in a month but the point is for that kinda cash you can generally get 1-3 functional standard decks, or even Pioneer if that's your thing. Also this goes out the window if you're getting actual pleasure out of the packs like playing limited or swimming in a vault full of booster wrappers like Scrooge McDuck.

yes. i want to be clear. i agree with you that any beginner coming in shouldn't be buying a case of a set and cracking them open. especially since they don't even know if they'll enjoy the game to invest that much money into it. but also i would argue.. if you're playing casually with friends and not any constructed competitive format, you should buy a box, open it, figure out the mechanics and seeing what works well together. yes obviously the cards there are not going to be worth more than the box currently.. but the point should be figuring out how to play/enjoy a hobby.

if we're talking straight up though about value of a pack. then i feel my point stands. the article talks about how sometimes a box will be less EV than the average... of course that's true. just like technically you can open a MH2 pack and get ragavan and have a pack that's above EV. but he also is talking about it from the prospective of "why you shouldn't open boxes" vs what real people will do, which is seeing that EV of opening a box is $X + $Y while the cost is $X dollars.

so I'm not talking about one specific person opening up boxes. when the EV price of a box is (for simplicity) $100 on avg if cracked, and the cost of a box is actually $85 after shipping/taxes. people are going to buy up those boxes and rip them open until either the supply of the card floods the market reducing the price, or stores raise the price of the box where the EV/cost balances out.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i think this discussion is veering off what the original topic was but i guess my final thoughts on it are..

he mentions starcity can't do it because they have to organize/sort/inventory their product because they probably also handle all the bulk rares and even the common/uncommons. an individual doesn't care about anything except the money cards in rare/mythic and doesn't have the issues they discussed... also its $7 per box.. so i wouldn't expect one person to bother if it was just one box. and if they didn't want to bother with it... that doesn't change the math. if you want to factor in your time cost and all that.. then yes, the real EV is not +$7.

again i don't know the situation about future sight either. maybe this was only true for a couple weeks during its print run and it evened out before anyone could do anything significant.. apparently it's like ~$1900-$2200 for a box now so yeah maybe just hold onto it for 13+ years instead :D

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/660346960373563392/tomorrow-is-our-big-announcement-day-what-are-all#notes

quote:

Tomorrow is our big announcement day. What are all of you hoping we’ll announce?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

so the un* sets are their own thing right? and so is universes beyond?

i don't know about all the fortnite/sf2/lotr/w40k stuff even though i like at least 2 of those things.. my assumption is they want to get kids interested in mtg.. i can ignore most of this poo poo since its all secret lair related...

i have no clue about the standard stuff though, cyberpunk to gangster then just back to the "main" mtg story line with dominaria and brother's war? and this is right after wolves/vampires/horror for Innistrad. i'm honestly confused. by the end of next year the standard rotation will be... TFR, Innistrad sets, Kamigawa, New Capenna, Dominaria, Brothers War? wow.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

They're just standard sets, they don't need to have any cohesion between them. Last year was D&D, Vikings, Wizard School and Zendikar. The year before was Godzilla, Hades, Camelot/Fairy Tales and [core set] lol.

Brother's War is a flashback episode, it's not current.

yeah that's right... i don't know why but cyberpunk then gangsters just seems more out of place.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Is it because they're actually cool?

didn't say they're not cool though? like nothing has been released about them anyways so plenty of time for wotc to gently caress things up.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

there's going to be like a reintroduction of the party mechanic for LOTR right? very funny if they do it for LOTR and not AFR.

and its going to be called like "Fellowship".. yeah yeah synergies baby!!!

Lone Goat posted:

Sorry to be clear, I was just implying that all the other settings were NOT cool, so having a cool setting was a divergence from the normal slop that MTG wallows in.

i'm going to use the 'i don't have coffee yet' excuse because i sounded way too antagonistic from the wording.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

MTG: Pokemon coming 2023. All Pokemon cards will be legal in modern.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

what site do you guys use to search for cards? i'm looking for a feature where I can do a search with boolean OR/AND in the oracle text. gathering kinda handles this but it is annoyingly slow. scryfall is fast enough but doesn't support boolean searches.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

flatluigi posted:

scryfall does in fact support boolean searches

Allstone posted:

Scryfall does just about anything you could want it to do - what are you trying to search for?

i'm trying to find mill cards in future standard. "O:mill" works, but i also want to search for cards with exile from library or the like so i want to search also for cards that have both "exile" and "library" so it doesn't return cards with just exile or library in them.

scryfall doesn't like it when i use parenthesis so `o:mill OR (o:exile and o:library)` doesn't work. and `o:mills OR o:exile and o:library` seems to be returning cards with only library in the text. also my full search to include future standard seems to be broken: "f:future o:mills OR o:exile and o:library" it's returning non-standard cards.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 24, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

ah much thanks. this looks like what i want!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

whats the abbreviation gonna be for double masters 2? 2x2? 2m2? DM2? 2xm2? has an official set gone with 4 letters?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

has anyone played a mystery booster draft yet at their LGS? is it completely random or is there a set list of cards they're using?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

that's not a bluff that's an angle shoot. pretty scummy imo but i'm coming at it from the poker world viewpoint.

you should always protect yourself though, and assume all your opponents are playing with this mindset and not be tricked into doing things like this... especially if you know that card existed in your opponent's colors.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

someone explain the lsv video. the guy grabbed a vampire token to..? signal he was doing something else rather than play settle the wreckage?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

There are poker situations, depending on your stack etc., in which this is legitimately a great play. I've seen this done by pros in tournaments more than once, although you're probably referring to Gus Hanson.

By not looking at your cards, you are telling the table that they're going to either have to have good cards, or fold to you - you cannot be bluffing, you cannot be honestly representing a good draw, they must play their own deal purely. You would typically only do this if you were short-stacked and being killed by the blinds & antes - in that situation (in tournaments typically, because you can re-buy in regular cash games) you are forced to shove all-in with marginal hands to try to double-up, and the rest of the table, if they know anything about poker, know it. By taking away the factor of them questioning whether you are playing on their knowledge and shoving with awful cards, they have to instead assume you have an "average" hand instead and play accordingly.

But given that is the typical (albeit rare) case, you could in a game with pros, sorta reference it by doing it even when you're not short-stacked, or even at a cash game, etc. Playing several hands blind is removing a certain factor from the game, which you could choose to do strategically. Perhaps another player is bullying the table (with their bets, of course), or someone else is shoving too frequently, or something like that. It's an option for a defensive move. It would be bad to do this too much, because it's super exploitable, but doing it for a few hands in a row as a conscious choice kind of owns.

Gus Hanson has a really terrific youtube series/channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/CrushlivePoker), he's got a weekly call-in audio show that includes fans calling in with (pre-screened) hands to analyze. He'll pick good examples and show them on youtube with the cards and amounts displayed and use each one as a case study.

The whole tournament with gus hansen where he goes all-in on every hand involved a leaderboard/points system where the people who were playing against him needed a couple people to bust out while Gus had no chance to qualify unless he finished first in the match. so he was going all in because he knew certain people were unable to call even if they had good hands. this is a rare unique situation where the strategy was sound. generally speaking though, going all in truly blind without seeing your cards is a bad idea because you can figure out if you have a better than random hand and just call the all-in. the only advantage this has is for beginners who stand no strategic shot against better players, but at that point the better strategy is to go all-in with Ace X hands and pocket pairs.

Also the guy who runs Crush Live Poker is _Bart Hanson_, Gus Hansen is another dude.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Who the gently caress augments their play patterns based on the opponents emote usage? What on earth.

If you don’t play around settle the wreckage it’s tour own drat fault, it doesn’t matter if the opponent GGs you or not

from what i wrote, ~"that's not a bluff that's an angle shoot. pretty scummy imo but i'm coming at it from the poker world viewpoint."

an angleshoot is an action where it isn't necessarily illegal, but looked down upon as seeking an advantage that's not within the rules/boundaries of the game, or is done to specifically take advantage of the game's norms. so yes, you can easily say, and i agree with, "its his own drat fault for not doing X better" but that's not the point. just because a player shouldn't fall for it, doesn't mean that it's not a poo poo move by the player attempting the angleshoot.

i don't know what if anything LSV said to the other guy in that video but that generally is not an angleshoot in my eyes if all he does is hand the guy a vampire token because now you're trying to decipher intent that may well have been innocent. saying GG as though you're conceding and the other player is trying to not waste time by selectively figuring which creatures to attack with is indeed an angleshoot no matter how obvious it should have been to the other player. let's say the other player doesn't react and just attacks with only enough creatures to be lethal. that doesn't negate the fact that the opponent was angleshooting, nor the negates the fact that it's a scummy move.

and i don't know. maybe being that deceptive is part of the mtg community, which is why i said it from the point of view of poker. its obviously kind of an apples/oranges comparison. but yeah based on what the intent is, it's obvious what the person's trying to do, and IMO it's scummy.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

pressing the GG button to get people think you're conceding is an angelshoot. its not about legality and it doesn't matter if you yourself won't fall for it or if you think its beholden on the opponent to not fall for it.

A big flaming stink posted:

Are string bets in poker angle shooting or are they straight up illegal?

there wasn't any rules around making string bets until people started using it to angleshoot at which point almost no casinos will allow it. as in they'll force your initial announcement of "call" as binding.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

Maybe next time you should attack correctly instead of throwing the game away with an incorrect attack
sure. it's still an angleshoot here which is the only part i'm trying to emphasize?

thetoughestbean posted:

Is attacking with a monster that would die to a block, saying “oops”, then buffing it with an instant when it gets blocked an angle shoot or is it just bluffing?

yes. an angleshoot.

Drewjitsu posted:

No its not. Is all table talk to get a read on your opponent in poker an angle shoot?
do you mean talking about your current hand? it is actually not an angle shoot because it is illegal.

in tournaments following TDA rules it is actually illegal to talk about your hand when you are playing the hand. i think most tournament directors will be willing to let it slide more when it is heads up when there is less likelihood of collusion but depending on who it is you may be penalized.

in cash games? most casinos will let players talk about their hand if they're heads up.

but it is definitely illegal to talk about the hand even if you're in the hand if there are more than 2 players involved.

any other types of table talk is part of the game of poker as long as you're not breaking an actual rule then no it's not an angleshoot. this whole thing about emotes kinds of sits on another level since there's no real-life equivalent to it.

again what i think the definition of angleshooting is:

quote:

an angleshoot is an action where it isn't necessarily illegal, but looked down upon as seeking an advantage that's not within the rules/boundaries of the game, or is done to specifically take advantage of the game's norms

if in a mtg match you announced that you definitely do or do not have a counterspell while leaving two blue mana untapped. unless there is a specific rule about it that's perfectly fine. you could obviously be lying about it. everyone who's an adult should technically understand that you may not be telling the truth.

but (and i looked it up and found a thread from 8 years ago so i don't know the current status of this https://www.reddit.com/r/mtgjudge/comments/1e4kr4/how_would_you_ruleplayer_hiding_permanents_under/ ) if you hid one of the islands and it only looked like you had 1 blue mana and that caused your opponent to play something on the assumption that you didn't have the means to generate an additional blue mana... according to that mtgjudge thread, it's perfectly legal and the onus is on the person to see how many mana is left untapped.... but that is still an angleshoot. again people in this thread keep replying "it's your fault it's on you" when i am not even denying who the onus is on to make sure they have the right information.

looking through some searches i'm honestly surprised how many times people have been banned/DQ for blatant cheating. like i guess it's because it's not regulated by a state government like a casino or regulated by violence (underground poker games) that can have real consequences so people feel it's okay to just straight up cheat. like why bother with weird angleshoots that might work once when you can just manipulate your shuffle/deck to win.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

Youre calling it scummy, im disagreeing by saying the onus is on the attacker to properly attack

yeah its scummy and yeah it is also on the person to figure it out. but sure whatever. it can't be both.

i honestly regret talking about this now.

oh sheeet magic cards in a magic thread.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

quote:

Consuming Blob 3GG

Creature — Ooze (Mythic)

Consuming Blob's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in your graveyard and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1.

At the beginning of your end step, create a green Ooze creature token with “This creature's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in your graveyard and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1”.

*/*+1

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

The keywords should just be Sunrise/Sunset. Sunset being the change from Day -> Night and Sunrise being the change from Night -> Day. Can simplify it by having it written as "The Celestus" is 3{T}: Sunrise or Sunset. Activate only as a Sorcery.

And by default if its neither day/night it defaults to Sunrise. So just write, "As The Celestus enters the battlefield, Sunrise if it's neither day or night"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

do flashback costs get reduced from the first part of diregraf rebirth's ability?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Played a Mystery Booster Draft got these 3 test cards.

Actually got to play High Troller for one match. Definitely very annoying to play with/against.. Definitely lived up to its name.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

MeinPanzer posted:

Rules question: If my opponent goes to cast a noncreature spell and I sack Ranger-Captain of Eos in response, why does the noncreature spell still get cast? The ability comes into effect on the stack before the spell itself is cast, right? So shouldn't it fail?

I thought his ability worked like Veil of Summer, i.e. your opponent casts a counter spell aand you cast VoS in response, preventing the counter spell from being able to counter the initial spell you cast?

My guess is because the spell is already cast and on the stack. When your opponent pays the mana cost, it's already been cast and it's just waiting to be resolved. Also seems like because of the "cast" keyword, instants and flashes can still be cast as long as you're still on the same stack.

Veil of Summer resolves first, so when the counterspell tries to resolve it's no longer allowed to because of Veil of Summer. First in, Last out of the stack.