Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'm guessing it's because you can get more mileage out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Eej posted:

Okay but if Historic takes off then with or without the 2 WC per one card cost, people will be paying or playing to get cards that would otherwise never be crafted/opened because they're not in Standard. An Eternal format on MTGA basically ensures an expanding library on top of Standard for players to chase.

Right, but the rate at which you would need to craft cards in historic would start dropping fast. Once you have all or most of the good ones, there's really no need to craft any more unless you want to play jank. For example, once you craft shocklands and (supposing they add it) fetches, you're pretty much good with lands forever.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Would you be able to cast once upon a time on turn 1 or would you need to have enough resources to possibly cast it before being able to do it for free?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
What are some mono black ways to shuffle your deck?

I so badly want mono b to be a thing.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Jesus Christ you can just bounce this with 3feri.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

This is insane.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Glad I didn't craft feather.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'm ok with wizards making money off of cosmetics. It's the gating a powerful card behind special products (like the buy-a-box promos) that worry me more, but I don't play paper so...

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

JerryLee posted:

The daily quests but not wins thing is exactly backwards; I want a type of game that I can play to get my first four wins when I'm punting on a 500-gold quest, without having to search for a deck that I both feel like playing and that evades the quest.

That seems to be entirely the point. They want to make sure you play standard if given the choice.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I just wanna know what the rare cycle of lands is goddammit.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

A Moose posted:

I've been putting Ethereal Absolution in my Fires wishboard, it's pretty funny. The first one slows them down a ton, the 2nd one turns off field of the dead

Unless they wish for Divine Visitation.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Selling magic cards seems like a huge hassle if you are not familiar with it.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

berenzen posted:

I play standard on Arena, and probably will play Historic when it releases on Arena. In paper, I draft and play commander/EDH.

You should already be able to play historic on arena. Just pick a historic deck (it'll have a yellow warning-like sign) and go to the play queue.

Just be warned that historic games do not count for daily quests.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Eh, Arena is still a remarkably cheap way to play magic compared to paper (I'll have spent about $20 in half a year and be able play decks worth more than $1k collectively), so I'm not going to hold it too hard against them for nudging us to play standard.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Love it. Planeswalkers should also have summoning sickness.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Just lol if Oko is banned in pioneer before standard

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Gerry Thomson kind of spelled it out. “There no way anyone could have play tested the Oko we got more than a handful of times before realizing how hosed up it is.”

What's really incredible about the situation is that Oko is a purposely strong face-of-the-set mythic planeswalker. This isn't some uncommon equipment that nobody gave a poo poo about in testing like Skullclamp. All eyes must have been on Oko throughout testing and any changes in abilities must have been properly vetted. It really boggles to mind to imagine that play design was ok with Oko in its final form, even if it ended up being pushed near the end. I really hope we get another Skullclamp-esque article about how this slipped through the cracks.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
It's got just one white mana in its CC so just put it into a hardened scales deck to give it another wincon.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Murder King now cares about defense, life gain, and removing creatures from the graveyard.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Is he? It seems like he needs to get value from his activated ability to be any good. A 2/2 or 2/3 that's butt grows if you have more stuff out doesn't seem like it does enough, I'd probably rather Yarok's Fenlurker.

The legendary aspect is also antisynergistic with devotion. Probably a decent sideboard staple.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Anax looks to be the best of the demigods. Definitely goes well in mono-red, especially cavalcade.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Goddamn, an 8/8 hexproof for 7 CMC is already good as is.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Cats can still play around that. You need something else like Cry to really make sure.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
The first two policy could be a way to prevent the burnout that grinders were complaining about a few weeks ago. Unless you literally win 2 GPs, there would always be incentive to grind more under a best of 2 scenario.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
drat. I was pulling for PV but that was a rough and anticlimactic way to go out. Bunch of real good matches the entire tournament.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I would imagine Dig goes first. It actually performs an important task in graveyard thinning for inverter besides just filtering, and you know it's going to enable more combo decks down the line if left in.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I have no problem with that.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Oh boy

Just in case people are not joking:

Imagine you get to roll your dice second after seeing the first roll. What is the probability of the sum being even after the first roll? 1/2 regardless of what the first roll was.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 29, 2020

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I know we should put this to bed, but I just can't resist.

There's another reason why even/odd is better. It'll still give you 50/50 odds as long as just one of the dice is fair. So as long as you bring a fair dice, you don't have to worry about your opponent bringing a loaded one.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I mean, I don't have to worry about that since Arena just chooses for me.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Nolgthorn posted:

Is it just because I grew up in the 90's that digital magic doesn't appeal to me? It's a collectable card game why would I want digital cards.

It's significantly cheaper to play Arena if you're smart about it. I've spent around $25 in 9 months and I have multiple meta decks that in paper would be worth over $700 combined. I also played Magic in the 90's, and I never got to play the cool PT winning decks since I couldn't afford the cards. I would have killed for Arena back then.

Even though I can afford to buy Magic cards now, Arena's just too good a deal.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

ilmucche posted:

1GG
Landfall - whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control draw a card.
Hexproof
2/4

You forgot the "You may play an additional land this turn".

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

mandatory lesbian posted:

How could anyone think this

I can understand not liking Hamilton, but thinking noone else could like it so much is being willfully contrarian.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Again, I can understand not thinking it's a masterpiece, but I do view other people thinking Hamilton is a masterpiece as a valid opinion. It is catchy as hell and technically really well done. Turns out people like things with wide appeal.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Meta looks good. Goblins is one of the highest powered decks and does have the annoying RNG factor, but it doesn't look as drastically overpowered over the rest as Field, Oko, or Rec was.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Love to see ramp die to flood.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

RC Cola posted:

Is he the guy who beat his girlfriend?

No, he's the guy who left his wife and newborn daughter for a Magic streamer.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

uggy posted:

Uro has also already been banned

Gotta prevent him from escaping.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
People on Play/Design explicitly said that they didn't even think to use Oko's +1 on opponent's creatures. Despite how ridiculous this sounds, I am going to take them at their word, in which case they are partially at fault.

But the main problem in the end is the WotC higher ups who have to be mandating that big splashy Timmy cards should actually be playable, which is why you're seeing ramping and mana cheating so prevalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Man I would love to see what the internal meta was when Play/Design was working on ZNR. Just a bunch of Okos, Ouats, and Omnaths.