Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

motedek posted:

MTG podcasts:

The Dive Down (hosted by goon ShaneB) - Modern, very engaging
Pro Points - Pros discussing high-level tournament magic. Can lose focus sometimes
Limited Resources - Granddaddy limited podcast
Lords of Limited - Limited
Top Level - Mostly standard and modern, this is the most unhinged one to me

Post your recs

Seconding the mention of MTG Grindcast - SCG Tour & constructed focus, one host is on Team Lotus box and they regularly have other guests from the team

Also seconding Arena Decklist Podcast as another great resource for constructed content

Love The Dive Down too, great modern content that is perfect for (as they tag it) the casual spike. Also probably has the best audio production / sound out of the podcasts listed and that is big game.

Pro Points is great content when it is great but the audio quality can be okay or unlistenable unless you’re in a quiet room with some of the speakers being muffled or far too quiet. Also suffers from a lack of a real “host” to keep people on track (or maybe it is a lack of editing?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sampatrick posted:

Four best performing decks are Burn, Whirza, Tron, and Titanshift in that order

If people are trying to do the midrange arms race thing all those decks either go over the top of that (tron, titanshift, Urza decks) or just burn them out while they’re getting set up. Good metagame call for those pilots.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sampatrick posted:

Tomescour lmao

Before Cathartic Reunion was printed some people were using Tome Scour to dump as much as they could into the yard. After Reunion an APAC player had a tournament report highlighting how good tome scour was in the deck with reunion but due to all the play blood moon was seeing it was tough.

I’ve even seen people trying Memory Sluice - people love their graveyard decks

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Gilg posted:

Looking at the MagicFest 2020 schedule, I'm considering going to the one in Seattle. As an extremely casual player / spectator, how much is there to do at one of these if I'm not interested in participating in the Grand Prix?

I went to the last GP Seattle and didn’t touch the main event - instead I played a couple side events, checked out vendors and sold / bought cards, watched a couple of the panels they had (one was an artist panel where Rob Alexander painted for maybe an hour and a half and answered questions from the crowd), and watched a lot of assorted magic being played too

I would highly advise that you bring sandwiches / snacks / etc and a refillable water bottle because food and drinks are expensive at the convention centers.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

fadam posted:

Shout out to Bryan for finally disagreeing with GerryT on today’s episode of ADL.

Big fan of the AD but yeah that has been my main complaint since Bryan joined up. Bryan will sort of soft disagree, listen to Gerry’s argument and immediately be convinced to recant his position - even when Gerry’s argument has been a “yeah you’re wrong” with nothing to back it up. Whereas Gerry almost never can be convinced by any arguments on the podcast even when he is presented with a valid argument.

Sickening posted:

Which standard pro tour was worse? This one or the emmy one?

That or that pro tour where RB / mono red was running the tables and they broke the metagame down to red black aggro, red black midrange, red black vehicles, mono red, and big red where 90% of the non-land cards were the same between the decks - all because they wanted it to not seem like one strategy was dominating

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Interviewer mistakenly saying Andrea Mengucci is from Spain to Javier Dominguez in a post match interview and then being immediately corrected in an awkward manner... :911: doin’ us proud coverage team

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ShaneB posted:

Anyone see top8s or other data from various regionals yet?

Chicago Regionals was streamed on twitch (won by Tron) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/496742528

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
With fields gone people can actually do stuff like play removal / counters and maybe a control deck can actually make an appearance - well, until everyone goes back to jamming 4x Teferi in every deck.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
^^^^ nah, ask away some people are assholes in here but people love to talk MTG

When they actually ran them local Frontier events in my area were dominated heavily by red based aggressive decks, other upgraded four color bfz standard decks (Jeskai Black, Abzan blue), control decks, and Aetherworks Marvel. My guess is there will be a lot less 4/5 color stuff with fetches prebanned - should be an interesting format to check out over the next couple months if if lives. Frontier failed because WOTC didn’t support it.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

InterrupterJones posted:

Some people on Twitter are already excitedly posting about it, but so far they fall into two categories: 1) basically Bant Spirits where the only green is for Coco, and 2) similar to the former, but also with Oko :v:

Shortly after the WOTC announcement Arena Decklists had a Twitter accounnt up and running for people to tag their lists on, and it is more or less continually getting updated with deck ideas

https://twitter.com/PioneerDLs

People on twitch were battling on mtgo in the free form practice rooms almost immediately after the announcement too.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

GoutPatrol posted:

After playing several Pioneer games with my friends and what we each brought to test yesterday...Copycat is getting banned by the end of the year.

Trophy leader as of noon today has just been farming leagues with his 4 color Saheeli deck, while my opinion means nothing in the grand scheme of things it surely seems like the current best deck while people are feeling out the format / testing stuff. The UR Phoenix lists that people are refining are starting to look nice as well.

I really wish that there was a way to observe the MTGO pioneer tournament this weekend, I’m sure plenty of people will be streaming but being able to jump to different games and see what people are doing would be a lot of fun.

How many local stores have started up weekly pioneer events in everyone’s area? One store is doing a launch tournament this Saturday and the big store in my area is doing weekly events starting next week.

Edit - also on mtgo people are running main deck mystical dispute already to try and counter the 3 cmc walkers

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 26, 2019

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Whirza has been playing Oko for a bit but Kanister is doing a weird Whirza/Cryptic+Sanctuary build.

That’s the team lotus box build that they’ve been working on for a while now - also had some input from Sam Black and some other folks for fine tuning. Zan Syed has been jamming it nonstop on streams since well before regionals and he then won regionals with it.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ungulateman posted:

as much as he's the obnoxious, smug face of standard, oko isn't doing it alone

This. The green threats are just ridiculous right now, creatures with etb fight options, keyword salad threats, creatures that have haste, and multiple x spell creatures with a walker that has a passive that doubles mana for all your forests... it’s pretty gross, especially when Oko drops on turn 2 on the play, and it just snowballs from there. Oh and then post sideboard green effectively has a one mana can trip that gives everything they control hexproof from removal that outright destroys their threats or targeted bounce, wtf?

The answer to the question at the end of the Arena Decklist podcast this week (related around people giving play design poo poo for how bad standard is right now) kinda pointed to someone above the team pushing through Oko in its current form because with all the people on that team there is no chance in hell that they could’ve missed the card’s power level being so high. My guess is that someone wanted a high powered mythic that would move packs.

Also, WOTC shot themselves in the foot with a standard banning and then immediately announcing a new format - it seemed like all the people that are usually building up interesting standard lists were squarely focused on pioneer and sort of resigned themselves to just playing Simic at the Arena MCQ.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

venutolo posted:

e: Of 102 decklists, 67 are running 4 Oko and one more is running 2. So that's 68 of 102 decks with Oko. 66%.

e: 130 main deck Noxious Grasp.

Also all but 8 decks in day 2 are playing the color green so even if people aren’t running Oko, there is a pretty solid chance that they are running green cards. Yikes.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Wow, SCG Standard classic has 59 players. They did just ban the most played deck and maybe a lot of people couldn’t find something different to play but... Big yikes. I’ve played FNMs bigger than that

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Yawgmoth posted:

Where? I live in a major metro and my FNMs cap out at like 40 if there's a huge promo happening.

Card Kingdom, at the height of the “terrible standard” of mono black / blue / UW control they were maxing out FNM’s for their space.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sit on my Jace posted:

The first Pioneer Challenge was today, right? Curious what the format looks like after a proper event like that.

Yes! Finals is happening right now. UR Phoenix vs Sultai midrange.

Seemed like a lot of UR Phoenix and a lot of Sultai midrange. Mtgo top trophy earner made it to the top 8 with his 4c saheeli list

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

rkajdi posted:

Lots of people had a ur Phoenix deck, and this used almost all the high value cards from it. I'm thinking about going with it or Bant spirits as my first pioneer deck or of the gate.

Spirits looked powerful whenever I’ve seen it on stream - I just think the build needs to be refined a little.

Also, Sultai midrange won.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

No Wave posted:

Oko will still have value in the other four formats. Teferi 5's absolute peak was under 50 dollars and he's still 35 dollars, and oko is a much stronger card.

Nit picky but Teferi 5 was dropping below $20, but the pioneer announcement shot it back up to over $30. Prices for RTR & forward pioneer playable cards are all a bit wonky currently

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Drewjitsu posted:

Someone got a quick recap or link I can read about this Sheldon fellow? Is he a mtgfiance dork?

“Sheldon Menery is a retired Level 5 judge. He also occasionally provided coverage for Pro Tour and StarCityGames tournaments, and writes columns for various Magic websites, most notably StarCityGames. Most of his writing is centered around the Commander format of which he is an avid player. He is also a member of the Commander Rules Committee which recommends bannings in the format.”

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

little munchkin posted:

this is a little different though, they significantly cut down on standard opens because not enough people would show up, the invitational is mostly grinders who are going to buy into standard no matter how much it sucks though. this is solely to boost viewer numbers and (probably more importantly) showcase a format that is more conducive to sales

It’s a good move on their part to get a lot of eyes on their stream - it’ll be the first high stakes pioneer tournament with a lot of players plus actual video coverage and a lot of people will be tuning in to see what is going on in the format. Hopefully WOTC doesn’t adjust the ban list right before the tournament, heh.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
From my paper pioneer experience and mtgo experience - I don’t see anything warranting a ban at this time and I’m expecting no bans at the time Decks running a higher amount of interaction have done a solid job at beating Saheeli combo (after the initial hiccups of everyone running no removal). Same thing with the ramp / nykthos decks. Oko is strong but with the higher amount of answers in the format it’s able to be taken out. The blue delve spells are impressive when cast but they’re not overpowered and the delve is more difficult to enable. Red is medium/good. Copter is good but honestly has been a little underwhelming - it doesn’t fit in every deck unlike what everyone feared would happen. Marvel / Emrakul / Ulamog haven’t really done anything and almost any deck can take care of those decks.

Of course there could be some deck being sandbagged for a major event that has flown completely under the radar

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
^^^ this is in line more or less with what I’ve heard a lot of people indicating but also adding Oko since everyone hates that card

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The challenge last sunday had a pretty significant amount of cat decks in the top 32 so it's probably on a watchlist and I'd expect something if it dominates the ptq this weekend. They probably have a short list of cards they're ready to hit if one steps too far out of line.

Totally - but I feel that might be more on the side of it being the fun police for random brews and also clearly being a “tier 1” strategy going into the challenge. It’s definitely strong but beatable. Also probably doesn’t help that the 75 for the mtgo trophy leader was floating around, too.

One quick edit - I’ve not seen anyone doing Kethis on mtgo or in paper. I’m a little worried about that deck being too much if it is as good as some people have been saying it is.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 31, 2019

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

suicidesteve posted:

Bypassing Veil of Summer. What a tragedy.

Related: my top 3 cards to ban:

Veil of Summer
Veil of Summer
Veil of Summer

One of my favorite mtgo moments recently has been someone casting Veil of Summer in response to a lightning axe, the veil resolved, then the lightning axe, and then their creature died. 30 seconds passed and I just saw “****” in the chat followed immediately by a concession.

Similar situation happened in modern right after Throne dropped and the opponent cast a Veil of Summer in response to a Thoughtknot Seer trigger.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Those rear end in a top hat WOTC employees, not working all weekend and needing to have a meeting on Monday in the AM to go over pioneer event results and discuss if anything needs to be banned.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

odiv posted:

When did they change the time? I thought it was always going to be this afternoon.
You’re correct! They announced the first ban date on 10/31 and clarified that it would be in the afternoon on the same date.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Niton posted:

Gonna quote myself:

Monday is the only day that makes sense if your goal is to let the meta re-stabilize for a tournament on Saturday.

Exactly - plus it gives people the maximum amount of time to obtain cards for that Saturday tournament.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

qbert posted:

Where is this from?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/november-4-2019-pioneer-banned-announcement?s

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

gold bordered reprints that ignore the reserve list

there i am the most optimistic

It would be pretty sweet if it was something like gold bordered vintage cube or even legacy cube in the mystery packs.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Even if the “other” archetype decks contain zero green cards (unlikely) over 80% of the constructed decks are green at the MC.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

I think the deck looks like a pile but doesn’t play like one. The deck is strong.

The rankle + recursive creatures seem like a good late game engine vs other creature heavy / low removal decks.

Those green splash blue aggressive decks boarding sleep seem gross. Also first time there has been a decent amount of smuggler’s copter decks in the top 8.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Honestly, the semis/finals were a good watch (when they were actual games and not run aways) - lots of back and forth, especially finals game 4. PVDDR is always great to watch, that dude is a stone cold competitor. His approach to play in comparison to Stráský was a treat.

Once Oko eats a ban these decks are just switching back exclusively to the Nissa / big mana plan, right?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

moush posted:

I too love learning how to cheat from a top pro.

All right, I’ll bite, what is this in reference to? I googled the only thing I can find is something on freemagic and a clickbait-y titled video from one of the Youtube Chuds that defends all the rapists/sexual harassers (which I didn’t click because gently caress that guy)

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

araeris posted:

If there is any upside to Oko, it might be that its dominance coincides with the price of a lot of MH singles coming down. Can't imagine it will still be in print next year. Getting near time to watch if things bottom out on whatever cards you might want for EDH/Cube/whatever.

Historically, the prices for modern cards in general hit their lows around November - January. Not entirely sure how the elimination of legacy as a GP/SCG format will change this. Once the PTQ/PPTQ/MCQ/whatever the hell they’re calling it now season switches back to modern prices should increase a bit.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Flea Bargain posted:

Can someone link me to these well performing colourless Eldrazi and Izzet Phoenix decks running OUaT with no green sources? I can't find them on Goldfish, and would love to link them to a friend who called the card stone unplayable.
I haven’t seen any zero green source lists, but there is a temur Phoenix list with once upon a time and some other green cards https://arenadecklists.gg/temur-phoenix-the-best-pioneer-deck-nobody-is-talking-about/

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
https://mobile.twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1197073346669744128

Another product announcement? Sheesh.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I see WOTC hired Todd Stephens to write their “apology.” Seems like they’re getting rightfully roasted for it. Nice book nerds

Also SCG launched their new website and eliminated all free articles apparently. But even if you have premium the site tells you that you don’t and you need to buy premium to view the articles... heh.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

A big flaming stink posted:

lol korvold is 22 bucks.

I was told tonight at FNM the only way to get a nonfoil is in those dumb collectors packs and apparently all the Brawl deck ones are Pringles out of the box.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Kurtofan posted:

seven cards for 40 bucks is pretty steep

(two of them are tokens too, admitedly very cute tokens but still)

The Mirri is less than $8, everything else in the box is less than a dollar. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is it just one copy of each card or a full grip?

I’m assuming just 1x - but during their scheduled reveals throughout today it sounds like the people revealing the products are unboxing them