Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

There's no way I could ever sum up this game better than the Steam blurb does:

"HEAVEN WILL BE MINE is a visual novel about making terrible life decisions in the midst of a hot-blooded battle between giant robots. Select one of three terribly behaved girls to fight and/or make out with each other in their struggle for the fate of space."

It's made by Pillow Fight, developers of, among other things, We Know the Devil. If you've played that, you can look forward to more of the same rich, complex, sometimes funny/sometimes melancholy writing in a totally different and awesome setting! The art this time around has a similar impressionistic style, though I think improved a little, and now with more color! If you haven’t played it, you should, or at least read Flac’s excellent LP of it.

I love Heaven Will Be Mine not just because it's weird and has robot battles, but because it knows and cares about themes. It has a lot of similar ones to We Know the Devil, like regarding alienation and self-acceptance, but it has unique things to say about even the same subjects. And there are new themes too, like about what it means to believe in/give up causes, dreams, and ambitions. But we'll get to that.

I also love that Alec Lambert returns with even more :krad: music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPK6drrPqgo

P.S. No spoilers please. I do plan to show everything, in due time. Also as a content warning, it never gets explicit, PG-13 at most, but there are elements of body horror, sexuality, abuse, and trauma throughout the story.

Each of the three robot pilots starts out working for one of the game's three factions, which each have a different vision for humanity's future among the stars. But there are plenty of choices to make throughout the story, that will determine the fate of our pilot, their relationships, and that faction.

MEMORIAL FOUNDATION:

CRADLE'S GRACES:

And CELESTIAL MECHANICS:

If none of this makes sense yet, don't worry about it. The game explains its alternate universe gradually, letting it gravitate into you slowly.

Let's focus on what's immediately important. And the important question for right now is, whose story do we start with? Our initial choice isn't necessarily a commitment to their faction. The pilots cross paths with each other throughout the game, but who we pick now will be our main character for the duration of a 'playthrough,' no matter where they end up.

Hacker-hijacker SATURN?

The String of Pearls

Overwhelming super psychic PLUTO?

The Krun Macula

Or veteran ace Luna-Terra?

The Mare Crisium

For the first campaign, the thread has chosen Luna-Terra!

I'm going to go ahead and commit to a schedule of updates on Fridays. This means going forward, votes will end on Thursdays, at 11 PM EST.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
SEASON ONE (LUNA-TERRA) EPISODE LIST
Episode One - "I've never betrayed anyone in my entire life."/JOYRIDE KILLJOY
Episode Two - "Don't shoot me down before the mission starts."/Retrograde in retrograde
Episode Three - "I'm plenty incompetent."/400MM KISS
Episode Four - "Keep your friends close, and your exes closer."/Rift in the earth
Episode Five - "The worst fights always happen over something worthless."/DEEPER CUTS
Episode Six - "Hoping for togetherness, and killing everyone instead."/Look at me
Episode Seven - "gently caress space."/PLASTIC VS. METAL
Episode Eight - "Without guilt or regret or expectation."/Give me the moon
Finale - "I declare war on the Earth!"/Cradle's Graces ending

SEASON TWO (SATURN) EPISODE LIST
Episode One - "Can you give me everything I want, down to the last drop?"/Saturn return
Episode Two - "i'm so getting laid"/JOYRIDE KILLJOY II
Episode Three - “we were kids tho we're older and wiser now”/Deep dive
Episode Four - "what id like is to be a toy"/400 MM KISS II
Episode Five - "i have only the highest ambitions for us"/Becoming stars
Episode Six - “I’m coming back with guts this time!"/Deeper Cuts II
Episode Seven - “Am I too heavy for the apple?”/The acceleration due to gravity
Episode Eight - "we're parts of the same thing"/PLASTIC VS METAL II
Finale - “Do you think there’s ways to love each other that humans don’t know yet?”/Celestial Mechanics ending

SEASON THREE (PLUTO) EPISODE LIST
Episode One - “Correct action. Correct thought. Correct belief.”/Retrograde in retrograde II
Episode Two - “Let me have the tiniest bit of fun."/Saturn return II
Episode Three - "I hear everyone, and I can't ignore it. It feels like I'll die if I do.”/RIFT IN THE EARTH II

HEAVEN WILL BE MINE SERIES OST by Alec Lambert
Home 1
Plastic to Plastic
Fog Screen
Oxygen Ocean
Garden District
Electrotoxin (No Mercy)
Terraformer
Silly Game
Joyride
Cradle's Graces

COMMENTARY TRACKS
Thoughts 1 - Luna-Terra and the Force of Gravity
Thoughts 2 - Idealism
Gutter Owl posts very good words about the endings and the queer metaphor behind the game.

CAST

quote:

Luna-Terra- "Pilot First Class. Don't send me messages." Ace pilot for Memorial Foundation. Luna-Terra is one of the first generation pilots, people born on Earth who came up to join the fledgling space program.

According to pilot Mars’s explanation of “secular astrology”, the system of Luna-Terra represents flesh, skin-to-skin touch, and family. Luna and Terra are a complementary system, two parts of the same thing.

Her ship is the Mare Crisium, or “Sea of Crises.” It is a large plain on the Moon, which you can see with the naked eye, a small dark circle on the edge of the moon’s face.

quote:

Pluto- "I'm thankful for my Cradle's Graces, but we're not coming back." Mutant super psychic of the third generation of pilots, girls grown entirely in a lab to live and fight in space.

In our universe, Pluto is a body in the solar system right on the cusp of being or not being a planet. It has a very different orbit from almost every other planet.

Pluto was also the god of the underworld, who gave wealth to humanity, through yearly harvests from the ground and being the source of precious metals.

Her ship is the Krun Macula, named after a region on Pluto. Krun was a Mandaean lord of the underworld, a culture in ancient Mesopotamia. Macula probably refers to the central area of the retina in the human eye.

quote:

Saturn- "Insufferable horror creature. Forward all complaints to Mercury." A member of Celestial Mechanics, a test pilot who used her hacking skills to hijack their experimental superweapon. Like Pluto, she is a third generation pilot, grown rather than born.

Saturn is the sixth planet from the sun, a ringed gas giant. Saturn was another ancient god as well, worshiped by the Romans as a bringer of generation, dissolution, plenty, wealth, agriculture, periodic renewal, and liberation. His namesake Saturnalia is possibly the most famous festival we know of from Roman times, infamous for being a time when the social norms were more relaxed than usual, even between masters and slaves.

Her ship is the String of Pearls, named after a succulent vine plant. Since it’s somewhat poisonous, it is typically just grown for decoration, and it generally tries to avoid direct sunlight, growing in the shadows of other plants.

quote:

Mars- "Generation 2 Pilot, First Class. DMs open for fight requests." A pilot working for Cradle’s Graces. She was revered as another hero of Luna-Terra’s caliber, before she left Memorial Foundation. One of Luna-Terra's string of exes.

Mars is the “red planet”, fourth from the sun, and named after the Roman god of war.

quote:

Mercury- "A boy in space on purpose. Consummate bridge bunny. Not responsible for Saturn." A member of Celestial Mechanics and Saturn’s “handler”, insofar as she has one.

Mercury was the Roman god of a lot of things, among them commerce, communication, travelers, boundaries, luck, trickery, and thieves. I think the most relevant inspiration for the character in this game might be boundaries and communication.

quote:

[NO IMAGE AVAILABLE]
Ganymede- a captain in the Celestial Mechanics fleet, and Mercury’s beau.

Ganymede was a boy abducted by Zeus and eventually became his cupbearer. A satellite of Jupiter was named after him.

quote:

Halimede- more or less the leader of Memorial Foundation in space. She calls many of the shots because, among other reasons, she pilots a powerful Ship-Self, the Lo Sulci, which is necessary for them to open the Lunar Gravity Well. One of Luna-Terra's string of exes.

Halimede was one of the Nereids, sea nymphs who protected and guided sailors in Greek myth.

Lo Sulci is a region on Triton, Neptune’s largest moon. Halimede’s older sister, who doesn’t appear in the game except as a talented sibling for her to have a complex about, is named Triton.

Sulci comes from the Latin word for a groove, which is applied both to elements of both the brain and Triton. The Lo part refers to the Lo river in China.

quote:

Iapetus- the scientist who leads the Celestial Mechanics faction, he wants to transcend the limits of humanity, mostly for his own personal gratification. He pilots a Ship-Self called the Roncevaux Terra. He had a relationship with Saturn and Mercury, probably others as well, despite being in a position of authority over them.

When I first played through the game, I interpreted his blurred face as a result of his experiments pushing the boundaries of humanity, becoming something that was literally impossible for our eyes to interpret. That could be the in-universe explanation, but on Twitter the devs have said that the main reason is that they didn't want to risk him appearing even slightly charming or attractive to anyone, because he is that terrible of a person.

Roncevaux might refer to the Roncevaux Pass, a gap in the Pyrenees mountains where Charlemagne nearly lost his entire army, only being saved thanks to the sacrifice of the knight Roland and his rear guard.

quote:

Europa- "Director of Combat Operations, Memorial Foundation Existential Safety. Not your mom." One of the instructors who helped train the original pilots against the Existential Threat, now serving as Luna-Terra's advisor with Memorial Foundation.

Also one of the moons orbiting Jupiter. Europa was a consort of Zeus (who filled the same king-of-the-gods role for the Greeks that Jupiter did for the Romans), and sometimes attested as the first queen of Crete.

quote:

[NO IMAGE AVAILABLE]
Dr. Nix- a scientist and instructor who created Cradle’s Graces when she refused to let Earth take her pilots back when it closed the space program. Came up with many theories and designs the characters discuss in-game.

Nix is the Latin word for “nothing”. This one I think might just be the writer thinking naming a character Doctor Nothing was cool, which is fair.

Other references:

quote:

Lagrange Reactor- the experimental Lagrange reactor for Tidal research is named after Joseph-Louis Lagrange, an Italian astronomer who lived during the enlightenment era. His main contribution relevant to this game is his work in the field of celestial mechanics, the branch of astronomy that deals with the motion of bodies in outer space. His namesake “Lagrange Points” are the points near two large bodies in orbit where a smaller object will maintain its position relative to the large orbiting bodies. At other locations, a small object would go into its own orbit around one of the large bodies, but at the Lagrange points the gravitational forces of the two large bodies and the centripetal force of orbital motion "cancel out" in a way that causes the small object to maintain a stable position relative to the other two.

FANART BOOK

by https://aprilcruelsday.tumblr.com/post/176568201101/i-swear-on-my-life-that-this-is-canon

Mia Schwartz's (the game's artist) Twitter is an important follow (Timeline contains spoilers for at least one ending though! Do not click if you haven't read at least up to the end of the Luna-Terra playthrough.)
https://twitter.com/mightyatom/status/1185297772301275136

From: https://lizparlettdraws.tumblr.com/post/177379429331/bleeding-heart-soif-you-havent-had-a-chance-yet

Both by:
https://www.deviantart.com/anisasherzai/art/HEAVEN-WILL-BE-MINE-II-759706436

Orbs fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 1, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This looks interesting.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Hell yeah, Heaven Will Be Mine.

Looking forward to terrible decisions all around.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, I hope this doesn't get too sad :(

Anyway, voting for Luna-Terra.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
A buddy of mine streamed this a year or so ago and I remember exactly one thing about it.

Combat Style: Button Mashing
Bedroom Style: Button Mashing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pluto looks like a Lancer pilot, so let's go with her.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Represent Earth! Luna-Terra

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Let's flirt and evolve with Saturn.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked this game a lot. The way it talks about 'gravity' reminds me of the weirder elements of UC Gundam.

I couldn't resist the temptation to start with Pluto because she has the smuggest portrait, but we should go with Luna-Terra because you can tell she's seen some poo poo.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Pluto seems like the type of wide-eyed naïf I want to experience this setting through.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Luna-Terra has a heck of a thousand yard stare.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
I went with LT on my first playthrough. This time, I'm voting for Pluto.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Luna-Tera calls it's children home.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Pluto

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Some Numbers posted:

A buddy of mine streamed this a year or so ago and I remember exactly one thing about it.

Combat Style: Button Mashing
Bedroom Style: Button Mashing
It's an important thing to remember.

Luna-Terra is currently in the lead, as befits Memorial Foundation's first class pilot, regardless of how people interpreted my "and/or" after where to vote (listen I am very good at words ok). But I'll give the vote until the weekend since it's pretty close!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm leaning towards Saturn.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
LUNA-TERRA, EPISODE ONE: "I've never betrayed anyone in my entire life."/JOYRIDE KILLJOY

What do you know about our reasons, computer

Sound logic.

"Let me enjoy the view of the rings."

"You really are getting old, aren't you?"

"Both me and you. I should probably listen to Control and throw you out and get a new one."

"But that doesn't seem right. You're only supposed to get one body."

"Even if I haven't been very good to you, I could never throw you out."

"We're all we've got."

In all kinds of ways.

It can do so many things. And they gave it devices for everything, because they hadn't estimated how powerful Tidal Engines would become, or what sorts of things humans would really want to do in space.

It's the first machine meant for conflict. But it's also the last machine that was meant for other things, too. A ceremonial tin soldier. Made to impress.

An impossible to use machine. Mind-machine or biofeedback interfacing is necessary to give humans control over a second body, but the Mare Crisium is done completely manually.

It makes Luna-Terra sort of a genius, and sort of an idiot, that she can't do things any other way.

"..."

"No, I love it when old things are over."

"And new things begin."

"Open the channel."

"Let's hear those standing orders."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0lTURpjBhU

Each day, we are given two missions to complete. But before we decide on that, there are new alerts and comms to check out. Little pieces of backstory and worldbuilding to chew on.

quote:

I've never betrayed anyone in my entire life.

Ahahahaahahahaha!

ha... ha

But seriously, whose side are you on right now?

Ah, it sounds so accusatory to put it like that, you know I'm fine with you being on whoever's side you choose.

So I can destroy them and drive you back to me.

That may end up being a lot of people.

What, you don't think I'm up for it?

Don't worry yourself about that part, kitten.

If you want me to defect back, you could always just ask.

Oh stop it, I hate it when you're modest, it's so beneath you.

Give her at least the dignity of a subtle seduction.

I would have.

That's not what she wanted.

She really ought to think about her reputation more.

And what more is there to say about the trail of messes you leave?

But my disappointment in you both is total.

My adorable failures, what am I to do with you?

You should go easy on her.

I live to spoil her; make no mistake that everything she deserves will be visited on you.

I wouldn't dream of not letting you have that. You have to know by now how aware I am of what you want and deserve.

Haha. You're so good to me Europa.

I don't deserve it.

When I double cross you again, be sure to really let me have it.

I hope you do.

But I take no chances with loyalty.

Halimede merely hopes you will change. I think it's charming that even you believe that might have some effect on you, but I know much better than you, kitten.

I won't let you return no matter how much you beg, until you have no other choice.

With not-moms like this, who needs moms? ...Let's check our mail.

Heh. Tenth time's the charm I'm sure.

Last but not least is this, the Alignment system. (Data log is just a log of previous scenes, and System is where you save/load, etc.)

This shows the current balance of power between the three factions, which will change as we do missions.

Speaking of missions, it’s time to select ours. We have to do both to advance the story, and the order doesn’t matter, so there’s not really a need to vote. I’ll go with JOYRIDE KILLJOY first, since Saturn was a close second in the pilot voting.

Music: Plastic to Plastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVmp-iIlAjk

"Tell those idiots to be careful what they wish for, because the mission parameters have changed."

"As you know, Celestial Mechanics has been operating a clandestine Ship-Self development lab with an experimental prototype, in violation of the terms of the Memorial Foundation Space Program decommission treaty."

"And we are on a top-secret surprise attack to take out the last operational shipyard and make sure we never have to find out what Celestial Mechanics has been planning to do with it."

"It couldn't be more obvious what happened. But go ahead and brief me anyway."

"No points for guessing. The prototype already launched, rendering most of the base inoperable. We lost contact almost instantly. Find it before it leaves Cronus's gravitational field."

"Now."

"What a callous attitude you have. Who did you learn that from?"

"The best. Preparing to engage."

"Having fun dismantling my escorts?"

"Oh, she's a hacker, too? How amusing. There's nothing too interesting on this comm frequency."

"Aw, you flatter me."

"But hey, what did that mean, exactly? The part about the girls who can't control themselves? I REALLY want to hear more."

"It means back up that talk first."

"Or can you land a hit off the comms?"

"Good thing you don't win by looking cool."

"No mercy for newbies?"

"No."

It doesn't hurt at all. The ship's metals begin molding and reforming around the wound immediately. A ridiculous, unfair advantage. Saturn has no right to complain, but she still wants to.

But she is trying to be cool. Everyone wants to, when in the quiet gleam of that always-bleeding ship.

"Either you're fighting just for fun, because you're that reckless."

"Or you're caught in your own containment wrapper and can't escape orbit yet."

"And you'd beat me for sure if I played around."

"I'm not done yet."

That's not true; it's actually very difficult to move with a solid light bullet in your leg. But she's not going to let that stop her.

Saturn is suddenly closer than she logically could be, claws bubbling, but Luna-Terra effortlessly slips away and kicks Saturn's ship directly in the chest.

"Yeah, you're done."

"The containment wrapper is still stuck to you. So your movement's off. Doesn't seem to have stopped you that much."

"It seems cruel to take it away when you're having so much fun with it."

"Same as you, right?"

"? Do I know you?"

"Everyone knows Memorial Foundation's perfect ace."

"But do I know you?"

"..."

"So I do, don't I."

"Let me out of this thing and I'll tell you."

"Ahaha. Why should I?"

"Can you promise it'll go different?"

"I can promise it'll be more fun."

"You are asking for me to totally abandon my duty to bring you back and do that instead?"

"What, you won't?"

"The legendary pilot who defected from Memorial Foundation then double-crossed the rebels she abandoned them for can't be opposed to a little fooling around with the enemy."

"..."

"I guess you do know me."

"Want to trust each other?"

"Or is it more fun if we don't?"

Now we come to the central mechanic of the game. Each mission has two possible outcomes to choose from.

One has us remain loyal to our faction, and increases their power.

And the other has us go against them, and increases the power of the other pilot's faction.

Sometimes there are other outcomes we might want more, though.

So which of these do we really want? Just going to do voting in the thread for this one.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 7, 2020

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

"Pick this option to lose"? Heh, nice try, game, but you can't fool a pro gamer so easily. Betray.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's more fun if they don't.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's more fun if they do

Monk E
May 19, 2009
It's more fun if they do.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

It's more fun if they don't.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Its more fun if they do

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Let's win

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Culture and living ship minds. Are there any credits to Iain M Banks in the credits?

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
It's more fun if we trust each other.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Bloodly posted:

Culture and living ship minds. Are there any credits to Iain M Banks in the credits?
I can see the resemblance, but I think the concepts are pretty different in this game. It does draw inspiration from a lot of places though, so who knows.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I don't know if this game is my thing yet, but wow that soundtrack is amazing.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
get :owned: Luna

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
It's more fun if they don't

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Not voting because I've already played this through, but I love that it's getting some appreciation here.

The soundtrack is spectacular.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Chuu posted:

I don't know if this game is my thing yet, but wow that soundtrack is amazing.
It really is so good. Hopefully the game turns out to be your cup of tea as well!

Kangxi posted:

Not voting because I've already played this through, but I love that it's getting some appreciation here.

The soundtrack is spectacular.
Fair, although you're free to vote if you ever feel like it!

Speaking of voting, I'm going to go ahead and commit to a schedule of updates on Fridays. This means votes, including this one, will end on Thursdays, at 11 PM EST.

The current vote stands at 6-5 in favor of loyalty ("It's more fun if they trust each other"), so someone still has time to make me have to figure out a tie breaking system if they really want. :v:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I loved this game and We Know the Devil as well!

It's really nice to see this represented here.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
EPISODE ONE CONCLUSION

It is decided! It's more fun if Saturn and Luna-Terra trust each other... for now at least.

"It's just WEIRD. It's weirder that it DOESN'T hurt."

It's easier for Luna-Terra to cut through the malleable flesh of the String of Pearls directly than untangle her from the wrapper. The flesh reforms quickly, so she has to work patiently.

The String of Pearls might be impossible to destroy. Even if Saturn can't land a hit, Luna-Terra feels like somehow, she's the one who got lucky.

"You're very sensitive. Lucky. You'll get used to it."

"If you are serious about next time, think of yourself as something a little bigger."

"Mmmm. I like that. Being big. I'm glad I trusted you."

"Stop shaking then. Or ask me to go easier."

"...just a little easier."

"Of course."

"Do you remember me yet?"

"I thought you'd remember the name of at least some of the girls you've made out with in supply closets."

"YOUR FACE."

(Took the words right out of my mouth. Say what you will about the art in this game, but I think it nails the facial expressions.)

"Just kidding. But sorry, it was worth it."

"You weren't kidding about still being dangerous."

"Every pilot knows you."

"By both of your reputations."

"...You're definitely Saturn. Because no one hated me as much as you."

"So now I'm curious why you don't anymore."

"So save it for the next time you catch me."

"Ha. Well, I'll just have to catch you again quick."

"All free."

"Now get out before someone catches us."

--

Mission complete! The balance of power has shifted, just a little. The enemy may have escaped, but we didn't get owned by an experimental supership either.

There will be another update very soon to continue to the next mission's decision point. I just wanted to make them separate posts for clarity/organization purposes. Stay tuned!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
LUNA-TERRA, EPISODE TWO: "Don't shoot me down before the mission starts."/Retrograde in retrograde

Saturn and the Celestial Mechanics have been dealt with, but Cradle’s Graces are still operating in the area. Before we get to that mission though, each day offers new mail and comms to check.

quote:

We're a long way from anything important out here, I can't help but notice.

You think command wants you as far away from them as they can get you? What makes you think that?

That you said it, that 'command' is my ex, and that I did once double-cross Memorial foundation.

In that case, you should be happy you're in the field at all, and not in a brig or in the process of being shipped back to Earth.

Well, I am. I'm so thankful, I don't need to be lied to about my work being important.

Oh, I would never lie about a thing like that. In fact, the most lovely sixth planet of our solar system, Cronus, has become extremely busy in the past 24 hours.

You're just the woman for the job, reining in incorrigible pilots is your specialty. Let's see if that power can be used for good, for once.

...Europa, please leave some of me left to fight the enemy. Don't shoot me down before the mission starts.

Was I too mean?

I would prefer direct combat, any day.

Well, let me tell you something nice then. The Cradle's Graces superweapon, your favorite, has been spotted in the system.

My favorite? What do you mean?

Don't play dumb.

You make that same face whenever Krun Macula is spotted.

It's the biggest mystery of their side, and one of the only reasons Cradle's Graces hasn't collapsed by now.

The Krun Macula's power is unreal. It's far stronger in reality than anything that could possibly have been projected from its original schematics. Its capabilities seem endless and impossible to predict or counter.

And no one knows who the pilot is. The list of people who could pilot something like that is very short, however.

Was that better or worse than their last conversation?

Anyway, two new things in the inbox.

“Aha. You are saying that you, as you are, the person who you are, doesn't want to be you?

LT: Yes.

Then you aren't that person.

LT: ...but that person weighs on me.

So you would like to have the weight of being this other person, that you are not--you would like that removed?

LT: Yes. Please.

That may be possible.”

There.

Time to spin backwards.

>LAUNCH

"Central said to launch immediately. We have to get to the Celestial Mechanics lab regardless of whether or not the prototype is already gone."

drat, no escorts this time. Rest in peace, Pilot B. You will not be forgotten, and your story will be told.

"There's valuable information there, but it's worthless if Cradle's Graces gets there first."

"Have some patience, Luna-Terra. The Cradle's Graces carrier just launched a completely unknown Ship-Self."

"This can't be right. A person can't pilot a ship that big. The tidal resonance should tear the pilot apart."

"Is this... Impossible. I hope. I've never seen anything like it, and no you can't fight it, Luna-Terra, so don't even think about it."

"Any better ideas? It must be headed for where the prototype launched, right? Where else?"

"Because they have to know that it already escaped. Don't underestimate your opponent, Luna-Terra."

"Even against an unknown and objectively stronger enemy? What makes you so sure, Luna-Terra?"

"No particular reason."

"Or a single particular reason?"

"Haha. Still don't trust me?"

"Don't insult your former instructor, Luna-Terra. I knew how much to trust you before you betrayed us to Cradle's Graces. My opinion hasn't changed because we welcomed you back into the fold."

"My best pilot and worst student, you've never been predictable except in your consistency for trouble. But it's a reliable metric."

"You're right. You know me. So if you're worried, don't have to let me have free rein like this."

"Very unlike Pluto, the hope of Cradle's Graces. She could lie right to my face, with a smile, if she thought it was for the best."

"Pluto exceeded the wildest expectations of the pilot program, so much so that it was decommissioned in part because of her."

"If Celestial Mechanics have successfully built a monster that can withstand her, this engagement will end in disaster."

"And that is much more terrifying than this machine you're so eager to fight. That concerns me far more than you betraying us, or fighting a battle you can't possibly win."

"I don't think any of you really understood what you were doing."

"Pluto is unreal. She's far more overwhelming than any of you understood."

"If that ship is unworthy of Pluto, it's going to be torn apart under the pressure of her, not the other way around."

"Pluto is the only real human being. No wonder she feels so alien when she looks at us."

"You want me to let you take an impossibly dangerous mission because you think you can save our enemy?"

Mission start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYR22D1jMY

And Luna-Terra needs to make sure all the calculations are in order. Everything in her ship operates manually. She's just been at it long enough that it feels like a second skin.

The jolt of nostalgia interrupts Luna-Terra's mental math. She forgets to carry the one. It interrupts Pluto's focus, and she has a moment where she's not invincible.

Close enough to touch the surface of the moon lab, Luna-Terra is seen and known by Pluto, and they are suddenly falling down the well of "too late" and "nothing you can do."

Against Pluto, is that really such a good idea? She's someone who always thinks just enough.

Which makes it easy for Luna-Terra to slip through, deep into the lab, until it gets quiet except for the sounds of the moon quaking and trembling.

After almost a year, the dread and the thrill is way too much to slow down and start talking. That's what the arrow flying into Pluto's Gravity Well is saying.

Who will make the first move?

And more terrifying than the finesse is her gentleness, spooling matter like threads in the tiny galaxy of which she is the sun.

Her power is very kind, but it's also a little perverse. What meaning does mercy have from something that can core out a moon?

Krun Macula's developers compared it to a black hole; they wanted a machine so powerful and absolute even light couldn't escape it.

Luna-Terra understands now that was wrong.

She's a star. Gushing and twinkling with matter and light. Who wouldn't be swept up in that?

The Mare Crisium is so small; Pluto has never seen it from a perspective like Krun Macula's before. She never imagined it would look so fragile from here, like a toy version of the fierce fighter she remembered.

Pluto's sense of scale is true. Luna-Terra feels just like a plastic toy, too.

"It really does fit you."

"So much more than I ever thought."

"Is it hard to look away?"

"Being able to render you speechless is the power I've always dreamed of."

"What do you think?

"I know just a look won't change your mind, but I want you to tell me."

"Tell you what?"

"That I regret betraying you? I told you then, that I always would."

"Did you think I'd be mad?"

"I mean, of course I'm mad at you! But not for anything you did to me."

"..."

"I wouldn't ever be mad at you for not having enough faith in me, to see through Cradle Graces' dream of a new home for humans in space."

"I'm just mad at you for not having enough faith in yourself to see it through."

"And leaving all the work to me!"

"Oops, I guess that is why I'm a little upset with you. Not mad, you know..."

"...just disappointed."

"I'm trying to be the grown-up, you know."

"I did the responsible thing. I took the realistic option."

"I'm here to play the part of the boring adult, the grown-up villain."

"Oh, that's right."

"I remembered why I actually am mad at you."

"You better not go down quietly."

"You better really believe what you just said. I'll forgive you if you left us for something stupid, but I'll never forgive you if you left us for something you don't believe in!"

"And you better not believe in it, because I also won't forgive you for fighting for a future that cruel!"

"Don't you dare. I won't forgive that either."

"Were you hoping, maybe, that it wouldn't be like this?"

"That I wouldn't have to fight?

"It'll change you."

"In ways you don't understand."

"I've seen you fight so many times."

"I saw when you got that scar and your poor ship got her wound."

"Has anyone else seen that side of you as much as me?"

"I don't think so."

"But it's different when you're on the other side."

"You think I don't really know you, because I've never stared down the barrel of your rifle or felt that knife nick my ship?"

"It's a different kind of knowing."

"Teach me then."

"Or I'll teach you."

DECISION TIME! They clearly have a long history, but they also still have a lot to learn. Who has more to learn though? BETRAY or stay LOYAL?

Orbs fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 7, 2020

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

I feel like I barely have any idea what's going on, but is this implying a connection between this game and "We Know The Devil"?

Uh, Loyal I guess?

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Betray

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

GunnerJ posted:

I feel like I barely have any idea what's going on, but is this implying a connection between this game and "We Know The Devil"?

Uh, Loyal I guess?
I was pretty lost at first too, but I enjoyed the process of piecing it together. You could, though, make the case that this game might benefit from something like having a character who's completely new to everything, and doesn't have History with everyone else. Personally I prefer it this way, since it cuts right to the emotional heart of things.

As for the We Know The Devil references, it's one of those things where the answer is ...maybe? This isn't billed as a sequel, but there are nods that can enhance the experience if you're looking for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Loyal